Betting line set at 8.5 wins

Man that is low to me. I get it we have to prove it but if anything this period has shown what a low budget piece of **** this football department was with minimal player development or attention to detail. There won’t be a game where we don’t have the best QB (I guess UVA there is at least an argument).

Advertisement
It’s about the jimmy and joes not the X’s and O’s. Our jimmy and joes aren’t there yet. Expect 8 wins and anything more is a great success. If it’s 8 regular season wins and a bowl game win to get us to 9 that’s a massive success for Mario and staff in year one. Yes I know this is Miami and our tradition but that tradition has been decimated for 15+ years now. Vegas is right more often than not. I can’t believe this fanbase hasn’t learned their lesson over 15 years that we have underperformed in every season minus one or two. Getting rid of that stench is no easy task. 9-4 with a bowl win is my guess

It’s about the jimmy and joes not the X’s and O’s. Our jimmy and joes aren’t there yet. Expect 8 wins and anything more is a great success. If it’s 8 regular season wins and a bowl game win to get us to 9 that’s a massive success for Mario and staff in year one. Yes I know this is Miami and our tradition but that tradition has been decimated for 15+ years now. Vegas is right more often than not. I can’t believe this fanbase hasn’t learned their lesson over 15 years that we have underperformed in every season minus one or two. Getting rid of that stench is no easy task. 9-4 with a bowl win is my guess
I don’t but the J&J’s argument. We play in the coastal, not the SEC West. Manny was a fluke 4th and 23, a tipped pass and a missed 20 yard FG away from 10 wins last year and we all know what kind of coach he was. So that makes think our “joes” made Manny garbage coaching look a whole lot better than it was. Now add the Bryles award winner as the OC , Steel and a coaching staff that grew in talent and size.

I'll just put myself out there as betting over. I do, however, want to know whether a bowl win counts. If we're 8-4 but win a bowl game, does that cover?

Vince Carter Basketball GIF by NBA

Advertisement
FSU was one of the more improved teams in the country from 2020 to 2021, believe it or not. And they don’t lose much other than Johnson (albeit a big loss). But I don’t see 8 wins there at all. Miami, Clemson, the gator, LSU, NC State. They’d prob have to go 2-3 in those 5 games to have a shot. Good luck.

Lost their leading rusher and their other starter at DE too who had 6.5 for them. That pass rush will be extremely hard to replace, on top of the fact that they STILL don’t have any perimeter weapons to go along with a below average passing QB. Agree with you overall, 0% chance they get to 8 wins. I think 7 is their absolute ceiling but that would even take some luck and is unlikely. 5-7/6-6.

I don’t but the J&J’s argument. We play in the coastal, not the SEC West. Manny was a fluke 4th and 23, a tipped pass and a missed 20 yard FG away from 10 wins last year and we all know what kind of coach he was. So that makes think our “joes” made Manny garbage coaching look a whole lot better than it was. Now add the Bryles award winner as the OC , Steel and a coaching staff that grew in talent and size.
I understand this argument but let’s flip the almost’s on its head and say he almost/should have lost to App State and NC State. **** even Georgia Tech. It always balances out. New staff is great no doubt, but to just pencil them in as getting 1 or two wins that previously we wouldn’t have gotten is a stretch. In 3 years the talent over the coastal will be substantial because Mario can recruit. Right now it’s not, and in all seriousness North Carolina has recruited better than us since Mack took over

Last edited:
Advertisement
We’re a quality not a great team right now after Mario reinforced the defense and OL. 8.5 seems reasonable to me.

I wouldn’t point to the narrow losses last year as evidence we’re on the verge of winning big. While it’s true Manny was a few snaps away from 9 wins, it’s equally true he pulled out a few Ws in the last drive of the game. We could just as easily have gone 5-7 as 9-3 last year. I think the 7-5 record we ended with was about right.

My heart says 10 wins or better. My head says 8 or 9.

Advertisement
I understand this argument but let’s flip the almost’s on its head and say he almost/should have lost to App State and NC State. **** even Georgia Tech. It always balances out. New staff is great no doubt, but to just pencil them in as getting 1 or two wins that previously we wouldn’t have gotten is a stretch. In 3 years the talent over the coastal will be substantial because Mario can recruit. Right now it’s not, and in all seriousness North Carolina has recruited better than us since Mack took over
We had the lead in those games but given that they were close, lets say he should’ve had 8 wins. The current number is 8.5. Are you saying you don’t expect a 1 game improvement?

If you look at 247 College team which judges talent based off cumulative grades we have more talent then UNC by a lot. 45 4stars, UNC has 27. UNC lost a great college qb and will start a freshman and outside of Downs, they are lacking big time at WR.
I watched the spring game and heard one of their beat reporters say they expect a regression. And it’s not like they were good last year

Advertisement
I know at times we can over-rate players as fans, but pretending we don’t have the best talent in the Coastal is ridiculous. We are far more talented than the rest of our side and there isn’t really a close comparison.

Sure a lot of our guys don’t live up to the hype, but that’s way more due to bad coaching schemes and bad player development than lack of potential for our guys.

Even if we give aTm and Clemson as L’s I just don’t see 2 more with this talent + coaching staff. Sure it’s year 1, but so was Oregon when Mario led then to 9 wins without an overwhelming amount of talent. Yes, they had J-herbo but we got TVD. Give me 9 wins.

100%. If people are going to play the "a couple of bad bounces from X wins" game, they should be honest and note we were also a couple of "bad bounces" away from a 3 or 4 win season. We beat App State by a **** safety on one of the worst long snaps I have ever witnessed. Be beat NC State by 1 point (we were down late and they were at midfield after we took the lead). GT by a field goal (GT was up late). Even Pitt, we only beat by 4 and Pickett was driving in the 4th but threw a pick in near our endzone.

FSU is at 7.5 with their schedule? I don't see 8-4 AT ALL with Memphis Mikey.

Dequesne
LSU
@louisville
BC
Wake
@N.C State
Clemson
GT
@Miami
@Syracuse
Louisiana
Florida

Someone show me 8 wins there.

I see 5 wins at best for them. Dequesne, GT, Cuse, Louisiana, then maybe BC or Louisville

Advertisement
Back