Best CFB coach and to think could've been ours

Didn't Coach Golden take Temple to heights they never enjoyed before his arrival? He must be great too just like Mullen.

Advertisement
Didn't Coach Golden take Temple to heights they never enjoyed before his arrival? He must be great too just like Mullen.

Said it earlier chise, but you can't stop the Mullen's d!ck riding train.

I haven't read the thread because I don't give a **** about seeing guys dyck ride the latest flavor of the week HC. But if the argument for him being exception is that Mullen has taken MSU to heights that no one else has (even though I remember Jackie Sherrill doing pretty well there before he aged out), then I don't know how you get around the Coach Golden counterpoint.

Fact is that Mullen has taken pretty much the same course that Coach Al Golden took at Temple. He beats who he's supposed to beat for the most part and loses to everyone else.

Saban was mediocre at Michigan State.

He became a next level coach when he got to a next level program.

The same things you're saying about Mullen right now could've been said about Saban when he was at Michigan State. Matter of fact, I'd say Mullen has done better at MSU than Saban did at Michigan State.

Mullen might not be Saban (nobody is) but to sit here and say that he's not a stud coach because he couldn't take Mississippi ******* State to the promise land is flat-out retarded.

LMAO dude you're a fool. Mullen has not done a better job than Saban did at MSU, that's so freaking ridiculous.

Michigan State wasn't loading up on cupcakes back then the way teams do now. Saban turned a WINLESS team into one that had a better than .500 conference record 4 of his 5 seasons. And that was when the Big 10 wasn't full of pushovers (Brees at Purdue, PSU defenses with Arrington and Brown, etc). He recruited against powerhouse programs with Michigan and Ohio State and still managed to land Burress and Duckett and turned them into a team that eventually went 5-2 against ranked opponents his final season. That's what you call an outstanding job at turning a winless program into a top 10 program. He wasn't "good for Michigan State" after 5 seasons.

Mississippi State has gone above .500 in conference play once in his 8 seasons. That might be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. There's a reason why he's the one knocking on doors and not the other way around.

Yeah ... Golden's success with Temple in the MAC is on par with what Mullen has done with Miss State in the SEC. :11263323124_b207743

If that's the route some of y'all want to go, have at it. I disagree ... But it's all just opinion.

That noted ... I'm good with Richt. Thought he wasn't a legit candidate, but supported his name when it was mentioned. And I'm glad we got him.

But if we hadn't ... Mullen would have been a nice consolation prize, IMO.

Advertisement
Yeah ... Golden's success with Temple in the MAC is on par with what Mullen has done with Miss State in the SEC. :11263323124_b207743

If that's the route some of y'all want to go, have at it. I disagree ... But it's all just opinion.

That noted ... I'm good with Richt. Thought he wasn't a legit candidate, but supported his name when it was mentioned. And I'm glad we got him.

He's gone 30-35 in SEC play in 8 seasons, and in only one of those seasons did he win more games than he lost.

We're sitting here talking about a guy who lost to SOUTH Alabama after 8 seasons.

Said it earlier chise, but you can't stop the Mullen's d!ck riding train.

How the fvck do you compare Golden's situation at Temple to Mullen's?
Temple had the largest budget in conference, the best players and they never played anybody worth a ****.

Fail.

Last edited:

The same things you're saying about Mullen right now could've been said about Saban when he was at Michigan State. Matter of fact, I'd say Mullen has done better at MSU than Saban did at Michigan State.

Mullen might not be Saban (nobody is) but to sit here and say that he's not a stud coach because he couldn't take Mississippi ******* State to the promise land is flat-out retarded.

LMAO dude you're a fool. Mullen has not done a better job than Saban did at MSU, that's so freaking ridiculous.

Michigan State wasn't loading up on cupcakes back then the way teams do now. Saban turned a WINLESS team into one that had a better than .500 conference record 4 of his 5 seasons. And that was when the Big 10 wasn't full of pushovers (Brees at Purdue, PSU defenses with Arrington and Brown, etc). He recruited against powerhouse programs with Michigan and Ohio State and still managed to land Burress and Duckett and turned them into a team that eventually went 5-2 against ranked opponents his final season. That's what you call an outstanding job at turning a winless program into a top 10 program. He wasn't "good for Michigan State" after 5 seasons.

Mississippi State has gone above .500 in conference play once in his 8 seasons. That might be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. There's a reason why he's the one knocking on doors and not the other way around.

You dudes always turn to insults the minute you disagree with someone. Ain't no need for the name-calling. I didn't come at you sideways. Talk to me like you would in person and stop flexing your internet muscles.

Now, on to the subject at hand.

Even if Saban's tenure at MSU was more impressive than Mullen's at Miss State, HE'S ******* NICK SABAN! Nobody is saying that Mullen is Saban. The argument isn't whether he's on Saban's level or not, it's that he's a good coach and has done a good job of turning MSU around.

That can't even be debated, so I'm not sure WTF you guys are arguing. You took one little thing I said about Saban/Mullen and used it as an opportunity to add 2 cents. Your point might be valid but that doesn't change the fact about Mullen.

You dudes always turn to insults the minute you disagree with someone. Ain't no need for the name-calling. I didn't come at you sideways. Talk to me like you would in person and stop flexing your internet muscles.

Even if Saban's tenure at MSU was more impressive than Mullen's at Miss State, HE'S ******* NICK SABAN! Nobody is saying that Mullen is Saban. The argument isn't whether he's on Saban's level or not, it's that he's a good coach and has done a good job of turning MSU around.

That can't even be debated, so I'm not sure WTF you guys are arguing. You took one little thing I said about Saban/Mullen and used it as an opportunity to add 2 cents. Your point might be valid but that doesn't change the fact about Mullen.

I'm talking to you exactly the way I'd be talking in person (lol at "Coach Macho" talking about "internet flexing"). You said Mullen was doing better at Miss St than Saban did at Mich St. So that's what I was responding too. Clearly Mullen is not Saban. I've added several arguments throughout this entire thread, so call them 2 cents here or 2 cents there, but it's adding up to a lot of cash at this point.

Advertisement
Mullen's resume has "in school history" on it a several times.

You don't get that on there without turning **** around.

All this talk about Mullen not "breaking through" can be applied to our current head coach. Richt could never break through the hump despite being loaded with NFL talent during his 15 seasons. That's why his a$$ got fired.

But Mullen has trouble breaking through at a **** program and he's an "average coach". LOL
Hypocrisy.

I'm talking to you exactly the way I'd be talking in person (lol at "Coach Macho" talking about "internet flexing"). You said Mullen was doing better at Miss St than Saban did at Mich St. So that's what I was responding too. Clearly Mullen is not Saban. I've added several arguments throughout this entire thread, so call them 2 cents here or 2 cents there, but it's adding up to a lot of cash at this point.

Yeah okay. LOL
Anyways...

On paper the tenures are similar. Despite you being a demeaning little fvck, your point may be valid. Doesn't change what Mullen has done. Nobody is saying he's Saban. Saying (or proving) that Saban did a better job at MSU serves no purpose other than to **** on my post. (congrats)
Doesn't change Mullen's accomplishments at Miss State.

Yeah okay. LOL
Anyways...

On paper the tenures are similar. Despite you being a demeaning little fvck, your point may be valid. Doesn't change what Mullen has done. Nobody is saying he's Saban. Saying (or proving) that Saban did a better job at MSU serves no purpose other than to **** on my post. (congrats)

I'm not demeaning because I'm arguing against you. You are the one being demeaning. You literally just said that he did a better job than Saban, so sorry for showing you why you're wrong. Don't need to cry about it. And I have no idea why you think you'd scare me so much that I'd be unwilling to tell you what I think about you or your opinion. Maybe it's because you start throwing punches at people once they make you look like a dumbass. Either way it wouldn't stop me.

Advertisement

He's gone 30-35 in SEC play in 8 seasons, and in only one of those seasons did he win more games than he lost.

We're sitting here talking about a guy who lost to SOUTH Alabama after 8 seasons.

This thread needs to be deleted. Folks here need to take anti-psychotic medications. Mullen is another Golden special.

Yeah okay. LOL
Anyways...

I'm not demeaning because I'm arguing against you. You are the one being demeaning. You literally just said that he did a better job than Saban, so sorry for showing you why you're wrong. Don't need to cry about it. And I have no idea why you think you'd scare me so much that I'd be unwilling to tell you what I think about you or your opinion. Maybe it's because you start throwing punches at people once they make you look like a dumbass. Either way it wouldn't stop me.

I have conversations/debates with people all the time. With other grown men. Nobody calls each other a fool or says "that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" simply because they disagree. That's what children do. That's what people on message boards do. People with low self esteem who aren't used to winning battles, so when they might have a valid point against someone on a message board, rather than just say it, they use it as an opportunity to belittle someone and call them a fool, dumbass, etc.

Regardless...

I acknowledged your valid point. Still doesn't change anything about Mullen and what he's done. Nobody is saying that he's Saban.

Mullen's greatest accomplishment is winning a bowl game AND his team still had a losing record.

Advertisement
"and for the first time in school history, a fourth straight bowl berth."

"In 2014, Mullen led the Bulldogs to one of the greatest seasons in school history."

"A week later, they beat #2 Auburn, 38–23, which propelled them to the top spot in both major polls (as well as the inaugural College Football Playoff Top 25 —the highest ranking in Mississippi State's history, and the highest that any FBS team in Mississippi had been ranked at that late date in almost half a century."

"The Bulldogs finished 10–2 – only the third 10-win season in school history. This netted them an appearance in the Orange Bowl, where they lost to Georgia Tech, 49–34, the third major bowl appearance in school history, after the 1937 Orange Bowl and the 1941 Orange Bowl."

They hadn't been to a major bowl since 1941! LOL

This thread needs to be deleted. Folks here need to take anti-psychotic medications. Mullen is another Golden special.

Except his situation is NOTHING like Al Golden's. LOL

"and for the first time in school history, a fourth straight bowl berth."

"In 2014, Mullen led the Bulldogs to one of the greatest seasons in school history."

"A week later, they beat #2 Auburn, 38–23, which propelled them to the top spot in both major polls (as well as the inaugural College Football Playoff Top 25 —the highest ranking in Mississippi State's history, and the highest that any FBS team in Mississippi had been ranked at that late date in almost half a century."

"The Bulldogs finished 10–2 – only the third 10-win season in school history. This netted them an appearance in the Orange Bowl, where they lost to Georgia Tech, 49–34, the third major bowl appearance in school history, after the 1937 Orange Bowl and the 1941 Orange Bowl."

They hadn't been to a major bowl since 1941! LOL

You could substitute Rich Rodriguez for Mullen in many of those claims. Rich Rod got a lot closer to playing for a NC than Mullen has. Rich Rod was one play away.

You're reading bios. Those things tend to make everyone look like a genius.

Mullen is good. But I think the backlash comes when guys start getting carried away based on a game or two or even a good season.

The top coaches always say it's a lot easier getting a team from garbage to respectable than it is to go from respectable to great. Mullen has made MSU a respectable solid program that usually wins 8 games or so. Like so many other flavors of the minute, what he hasn't been able to do is get to that next level.

The biggest problem hiring guys from these Mullen type situations is being able to predict that with better access to talent will they be able to make that jump from respectable to consistently great. The true marquee programs aren't willing to wait very long for these hot new commodities to take their programs from respectable to consistently great.

It's probably the main reason less and less guys are willing to leave comfortable situations where they're making a lot of money and getting patted on the back for winning 8 games to going somewhere that expects to play for championships.

Advertisement
Back