Benefits rule is un-American, illogical, and utter BS

it doesn't even matter if it is stupid or not ( it is ) all that matters is if the rule is broken or not . You break it and you can ***** yourself and your school. This is what happened.

Advertisement
The problem I have with the whole thing is forcing kids to stay at school for a chance at the nfl. A lot of them have no interest in school and aren't getting really any value out of being there. The free market would pay them real money for a minor league sort of system.

This rule is very American if U check history. Its un-American according to the idea of what America is.

Also I know from first-hand accounts, friends, and family that the 6 figure education part of the deal is a somewhat farce for 80% of college players. I'm not gonna get into the specific stories but in short, the most talented athletes are strongly encouraged and in many cases I know of, made/forced to select a pre-determined schedule of classes and major, none of which will provide any strong basis for employment or wealth if football doesn't pan out. The school schedules clearly reflect what the focus of the scholarship agreement as student ATHLETES.

One side of these agreements (the university) is promised to be made wealthy, while the others (players) future is still in question.

By the time a player graduates, he has paid for his 6 figure education probably 3 times with the revenue they bring in. Dalvin Cook alone has probably made FSU 10 times the expenses of his education in only 2 seasons.

I agree, but how many players don't make the school any money? Dalvin Cook wasn't good enough for the NFL in high school so he can thank FSU for getting him there. FSU invested in Dalvin Cook and it turned out to be a good one. The time Dalvin spent at FSU will turn out to be a good investment for himself.

Our fanbase thinks we should pay players and former players should build us an IPF and a stadium. So I guess we should pay AGM and Grace and Ray Lewis should give all his money to UM...hmm

Or they could play for the UM professional football team during the season, and during the season and attend community college during the off season. At least then they could learn at a pace and a level that is more suitable for them and the education might actually mean something.

Five...

I don't disagree with you in principle...

However, Miami just doesn't have those kind of resources.

Now, if 32 NFL teams want to establish 32 "farm" or "affiliated" programs with Universities...mmmmmm

Maybe in that alternate reality its a Dolphins-Hurricanes system?

A radical reshaping of D1P5, but so long as the Canes have a seat at the table...I'll buy...

[]_[] swag;2596640 said:
The problem I have with the whole thing is forcing kids to stay at school for a chance at the nfl. A lot of them have no interest in school and aren't getting really any value out of being there. The free market would pay them real money for a minor league sort of system.

They aren't forced to ever attend college. They could go player in the CFL and once 3 years after HS passes they could go to the NFL. College is by far the best choice as they get a chance to get an education.

Advertisement
[]_[] swag;2596640 said:

Enough said!!!!

Just because private colleges like Miami can charge what ever they want, doesn't mean the education is valued at that. These kids aren't receiving 200k dollars worth of anything. No difference between that 200k and 45k at UF.

tumblr_inline_mkci8ctJw91qz4rgp.gif

To other poster

angry-preacher-o.gif

[]_[] swag;2596640 said:

Amen!

Also, Its not only that they might not have interest in school, the fact is that the schooling they are receiving is way above their level.

I don't care how much the lesson cost, trying to teach me theoretical quantum physics is waste of my time and yours.

The schools are essential paying these kids with company scrip, which is utterly useless outside of the company store.

Lots of stupid in this thread, especially those attempting to rationalize what these young men did.
They knew the rules, and they knowingly broke it.
I would have some semblance of sympathy if a kid took money so his mom could pay the light
bill or if he needed to feed a mouth or two.
But this was nothing but pure greed.

And for those bemoaning these rules regarding benefits, do you not realize if the rules didn't exist
UM, and most private schools, would no longer have realistic opportunities for national titles?
Heck, maybe not even top25.

Stop posting garbage.

Advertisement
[]_[] swag;2596640 said:

They aren't forced to ever attend college. They could go player in the CFL and once 3 years after HS passes they could go to the NFL. College is by far the best choice as they get a chance to get an education.

The first 2 sentences I agree with. It would be boys vs men at most position, so not quite feasible. However if I were an inner high school Qb, that would be my route.

This is the problem we're having in society now. Everyone thinks every ******* rule shouldn't apply to them. Fvck off and move somewhere else. Good luck trying to find a more free society with less rules.

[]_[] swag;2596640 said:

Amen!

Also, Its not only that they might not have interest in school, the fact is that the schooling they are receiving is way above their level.

I don't care how much the lesson cost, trying to teach me theoretical quantum physics is waste of my time and yours.

The schools are essential paying these kids with company scrip, which is utterly useless outside of the company store.

You seem to be lowering the bar with your rant.
There are lots of kids benefiting from the free education.
I would argue most of them are in some form or another.

Lots of stupid in this thread, especially those attempting to rationalize what these young men did.
They knew the rules, and they knowingly broke it.
I would have some semblance of sympathy if a kid took money so his mom could pay the light
bill or if he needed to feed a mouth or two.
But this was nothing but pure greed.

And for those bemoaning these rules regarding benefits, do you not realize if the rules didn't exist
UM, and most private schools, would no longer have realistic opportunities for national titles?
Heck, maybe not even top25.

Stop posting garbage.

And that's why Trump won't win. Yall actual want and need all the mexicans here because you are all too cheap to pay a decent wage for hard work.

Advertisement
A lot of minor league baseball contracts include full tuition for college in the event that they quit baseball. Without a minor league football league players don't have this option which is why attending college is the best choice. You also have better coaches in college so you are more likely to make the NFL by attending a P5 school. Very few players were good enough to play in the NFL on their own. Almost everyone in the NFL can think their college coach for getting them there.

[]_[] swag;2596640 said:

Amen!

You seem to be lowering the bar with your rant.
There are lots of kids benefiting from the free education.
I would argue most of them are in some form or another.

Now who is lowering the bar?

Players receive over $200,000 worth of eduction, housing and food. The idea these guys get nothing is ridiculous.

More. MUCH more. They get tons of free clothes, gear, etc. They get tons of additional help not available to other students in terms of tutors and advisors. They get access to classes, on-campus housing and medical not offered to other students. They get stipends now. Eventhough it's not supposed to be allowed, they get discounts at local stores/restuarants/events because they are either told it's covered or get reduced bills without asking....things that are almost impossible to trace without someone keeping tabs and ratting like Nevin. I won't even talk about the fake grades and diplomas some earn. The list goes on. I lived it at my school, saw it at others and heard about it endless times.

The problem is, many of these kids live in a dream world and think they are owed so much more, so they never truly take advantage of what they have at their fingertips. Most of these kids will never make the league, but how many really take advantage of the education and all the resources at their disposal? How many of these kids would even have a shot at an education without college football? Yes, i understand the NCAA makes a ton of money on these games. I'm not stupid. But you can say that about any business, any system out there, even for non-athletes. College football makes a lot of money because these Universities have rabid fans, alums and students who shell out tons of money to support them. Try starting a minor league system and see how much money it makes.....i bet these kids would hate it, having to use their 30-40k a year to pay rent, utilities, taxes, medical, food, etc. Also lost in this is how much of the money these schools put back into their programs and how many are actually in the red. Didn't a school like UCONN or someone lose money the other year by GOING to a BCS Bowl Game?

You take the rules off and it becomes the wild west....an arms race that will end badly. There will be much bigger divides between the "haves" and "have nots", not only amongst the schools, but individually with players on the same team. If you don't think that would cause a rift, you are sorely mistaken. If you think kids wouldn't continue to push the envelope and want even more or do other things against rules/laws, you are also mistaken. Nothing ever seems to be enough in today's world and less seem to want to work for it every year.

College football is a choice. You either chose to enter that world or you don't. But if you chose to, you chose to do so with the understanding and acceptance of the rules in place.

Advertisement
A lot of minor league baseball contracts include full tuition for college in the event that they quit baseball. Without a minor league football league players don't have this option which is why attending college is the best choice. You also have better coaches in college so you are more likely to make the NFL by attending a P5 school. Very few players were good enough to play in the NFL on their own. Almost everyone in the NFL can think their college coach for getting them there.
The point is that college football IS a minor league football system that is pretending not to be one so that they don't have to do what minor league baseball does by including cash in those contracts.

They need to learn how to "do" certain things.... Winston "stole" crab legs so they wouldn't fall under the benefits rule... if these guys put their names and not a name of a family member or friend or "girlfriend" then they got what they deserve

Cam Newton "never" knew about the money his father received for Cam's services... before you play the game you need to know how to play the rules

Players receive over $200,000 worth of eduction, housing and food. The idea these guys get nothing is ridiculous.

More. MUCH more. They get tons of free clothes, gear, etc. They get tons of additional help not available to other students in terms of tutors and advisors. They get access to classes, on-campus housing and medical not offered to other students. They get stipends now. Eventhough it's not supposed to be allowed, they get discounts at local stores/restuarants/events because they are either told it's covered or get reduced bills without asking....things that are almost impossible to trace without someone keeping tabs and ratting like Nevin. I won't even talk about the fake grades and diplomas some earn. The list goes on. I lived it at my school, saw it at others and heard about it endless times.

The problem is, many of these kids live in a dream world and think they are owed so much more, so they never truly take advantage of what they have at their fingertips. Most of these kids will never make the league, but how many really take advantage of the education and all the resources at their disposal? How many of these kids would even have a shot at an education without college football? Yes, i understand the NCAA makes a ton of money on these games. I'm not stupid. But you can say that about any business, any system out there, even for non-athletes. College football makes a lot of money because these Universities have rabid fans, alums and students who shell out tons of money to support them. Try starting a minor league system and see how much money it makes.....i bet these kids would hate it, having to use their 30-40k a year to pay rent, utilities, taxes, medical, food, etc. Also lost in this is how much of the money these schools put back into their programs and how many are actually in the red. Didn't a school like UCONN or someone lose money the other year by GOING to a BCS Bowl Game?

You take the rules off and it becomes the wild west....an arms race that will end badly. There will be much bigger divides between the "haves" and "have nots", not only amongst the schools, but individually with players on the same team. If you don't think that would cause a rift, you are sorely mistaken. If you think kids wouldn't continue to push the envelope and want even more or do other things against rules/laws, you are also mistaken. Nothing ever seems to be enough in today's world and less seem to want to work for it every year.

College football is a choice. You either chose to enter that world or you don't. But if you chose to, you chose to do so with the understanding and acceptance of the rules in place.
Some choices, aren't real choices.

If these kids wanted to maximize their experience and ability to get/enjoy things and stay eligible.....STOP FLAUNTING IT! Stop talking about it. Stop tweeting it. Stop instagramming it. Stop bragging. Stay out of the social game. Stay out of the police blog. Keep your nose clean. Do things that put you in a positive light in the eyes of the media and school like volunteering or charity, so if there is a question, you get the benefit of the doubt for a 2nd chance.

Some will always lie, cheat and steal. Some of those will be caught......others will not. It's purely a numbers game. If you choose to take that risk, just be aware and understand the consequences.

Advertisement
Back