Benefits rule is un-American, illogical, and utter BS

IMissCoker

Redshirt Freshman
and I'm not even going to engage in a back and forth, I'm really not interested. But I'll say this, I can tell a lot about a person who supports it

Advertisement
and I'm not even going to engage in a back and forth, I'm really not interested. But I'll say this, I can tell a lot about a person who supports it

Ok, let's say every one of us agree with your opinion. Now what. The rule is still there, our kids are trained on it. Why would these two do this? ??? That is the point fella!

if there wasnt a rule the SEC would be picking and choosing more than they already are. the day that goes . our little private school is ****ed!

Players receive over $200,000 worth of eduction, housing and food. The idea these guys get nothing is ridiculous.

Advertisement
Players receive over $200,000 worth of eduction, housing and food. The idea these guys get nothing is ridiculous.

And I guess that excuses any gapping holes that exist. That's ridiculous! Kids aren't perfect and the system isn't perfect! Simple as that!!

Doesn't matter whether it's a dumb rule or a great rule, it IS a rule and one the players knew about.

Can't blame the system for this one.

If the "impermissible benefits" portion of the NCAA rules (put into place BY THE INSTITUTIONS) are modified without an overall "program spending cap" or a D1P5 revenue sharing model is put i to place, only a handful of mega-revenue schools (UT, Bama, Oregon, OSU1, OSU2, OU, FSU, UF, etc. will survive in D1P5.

The Miami, Clemsons, Duke, UNCs, Vandy, Wake, TCU, Baylor, everybody else would have to move down into DII.

They simply would not be able to compete just based on the financials.

That isn't speculation, that is a fact.

Advertisement
...Then why not just give them the 200k in cash since you seem to think its all the same.

Perfect. And then they can pay full tuition/board at Miami (~$43K/yr) because that $200K (spread out at ~$50k/yr over 4 yrs) would make them ineligible for student aid from the Federal or State levels.

Brilliant. What could possibly go wrong?

Then why not just give them the 200k in cash since you seem to think its all the same.

Because they wouldn't be responsible enough to pay for their education. They are given money for housing and food and can spend the excess money however they like. I know former D1 athletes that were able fly home during the summer and Christmas break with this money. They could have taken a student loan to buy a car.

if there wasnt a rule the SEC would be picking and choosing more than they already are. the day that goes . our little private school is ****ed!

You are confusing giving these kids a piece of what is going around with tv deals with paying recruits to come to your school or allowing boosters to pay players. It would actually benefit us if these kids had some extra spending cash because you wouldn't see idiots going around talking about how they got to "feed the family". Everyone gets the same amount. There would still be punishments for all the other stuff.

Advertisement
They weren't kicked out for receiving benefits, they were kicked off the team for lying about it.
I disagree with it, but there's nothing that can be done about it now... So, oh well.

This rule is very American if U check history. Its un-American according to the idea of what America is.

Also I know from first-hand accounts, friends, and family that the 6 figure education part of the deal is a somewhat farce for 80% of college players. I'm not gonna get into the specific stories but in short, the most talented athletes are strongly encouraged and in many cases I know of, made/forced to select a pre-determined schedule of classes and major, none of which will provide any strong basis for employment or wealth if football doesn't pan out. The school schedules clearly reflect what the focus of the scholarship agreement as student ATHLETES.

One side of these agreements (the university) is promised to be made wealthy, while the others (players) future is still in question.

By the time a player graduates, he has paid for his 6 figure education probably 3 times with the revenue they bring in. Dalvin Cook alone has probably made FSU 10 times the expenses of his education in only 2 seasons.

...Then why not just give them the 200k in cash since you seem to think its all the same.

Perfect. And then they can pay full tuition/board at Miami (~$43K/yr) because that $200K (spread out at ~$50k/yr over 4 yrs) would make them ineligible for student aid from the Federal or State levels.

Brilliant. What could possibly go wrong?

Or they could play for the UM professional football team during the season, and during the season and attend community college during the off season. At least then they could learn at a pace and a level that is more suitable for them and the education might actually mean something.

Advertisement
They weren't kicked out for receiving benefits, they were kicked off the team for lying about it.
I disagree with it, but there's nothing that can be done about it now... So, oh well.

Of course they ******* lied. Anyone in that situation would have lied. They were probably scared that this would have happened. They were in a no win situation and theu probably thought what they did wasn't a big deal. Who here wouldn't have taken a discount on anything if it was offered. But since these kids play for Miami they should be above all that. Straight bull****.

Then why not just give them the 200k in cash since you seem to think its all the same.

Because they wouldn't be responsible enough to pay for their education. They are given money for housing and food and can spend the excess money however they like. I know former D1 athletes that were able fly home during the summer and Christmas break with this money. They could have taken a student loan to buy a car.
At least you don't hide how condescending and disrespectful you are. I like a honest man.

I guess they didn't know it was a violation to drive around in expensive *** luxury cars , at a small private school that's just off probation.

Poor kids

Just because private colleges like Miami can charge what ever they want, doesn't mean the education is valued at that. These kids aren't receiving 200k dollars worth of anything. No difference between that 200k and 45k at UF.

Advertisement
Back