Beckham Stadium Design Released

Is this Billy Cohen? I really liked a few of your movies but you have to stop masquerading as a Canes fan, bro. You haven't been to an actual game in years and obviously have moved on from trolling the administration at UM to a full time sycophant of the anti-new stadium crew. Just go get Kevin Brinkworth to do all your legwork again and you might be able to possibly beat Najeh Davenport in putting out The U Part II.

You are the one that is masquerading as a Canes fan. You must be a soccer fan or someone that would profit from that Port site that wants UM to pay for Beckham stadium. David Beckman is just another ***** like kim kardashian that flies into Miami to make money off people in South Florida.

Real Canes fans want the program to start winning and that takes money to hire coaches and build facilities like indoor practice facilities. UM can't make less money playing playing in a undersized MLS stadium that can't seat 65K for our big games like FSU and ND where we double our ticket prices. All you are pumping is a stadium with a great scenic view that limits our ticket sales back to 1999 levels. That great scenic view doesn't win games or make extra revenue by selling ticket to fans that demand a winning program as Marlin Park proved.

UM can't make more money playing in Beckman stadium than we can at SLS. Show me the money since SLS will always make more money for the Canes than UM paying for Beckham stadium where we won't even be able to play daytime games.

Please. Stop. Calling someone a soccer fan is pretty much fightin' words so you probably should temper it down. I live in Lauderdale, buddy. Getting to SLS is extremely convenient for me (leaving not so much sometimes). I'm done debating this. Wake me up in 60 days. If you'd like to see my collection of ticket stubs from the last decade or longer just let me know which (if any) games you'll be at this season. I'll be at the Spring Game with about 300 other people if that works. The 95% empty seats should look good to recruits on the ESPNU broadcast of it.

Well I apologist for inferring you were a soccer fan since I agree that was sick. I'm not a fan of Billy Cohen that set me off. Please just two more question. This is Beckham's back up list in the Herald today if he doesn't get the Port site for his stadium.;

"While three other sites have been listed as fall-back options — land near the Miami International Airport, Florida International University’s western campus, and a site adjoining Marlins Park in Little Havana — Alschuler only presented renderings for a port stadium, and he said that remains Beckham’s top choice."

Are you still going to be so Gun-Ho if Beckham picks the Florida International University’s campus as his new site for the Canes to play there? Also what about the other two backup sites that don't have great scenic views?

Marlins Park has a fantastic view, and having it near that area can accomplish a lot of the same things as the Port site, and likely would be more feasible

If I were running with this project, I'd also make the most grandiose site "the pick." If that doesn't work out, a site by the Marlins Park that works for both Soccer and UM would be a nice "compromise." Maybe it could be billed as a savior to the disaster that is currently Marlins Park development area.

Advertisement
Beckham is only going to build a stadium that is up to 25K in the Port that could be expanded to 35K in the future. Beckman has committed the stadium will not be used during the day or on nights when the Miami Heat are playing in the AAA so that the stadium won't interfere with the Port of Miami traffic and parking

There is zero chance that UM will play in any stadium that has those restrictions.

Is this Billy Cohen? I really liked a few of your movies but you have to stop masquerading as a Canes fan, bro. You haven't been to an actual game in years and obviously have moved on from trolling the administration at UM to a full time sycophant of the anti-new stadium crew. Just go get Kevin Brinkworth to do all your legwork again and you might be able to possibly beat Najeh Davenport in putting out The U Part II.

You are the one that is masquerading as a Canes fan. You must be a soccer fan or someone that would profit from that Port site that wants UM to pay for Beckham stadium. David Beckman is just another ***** like kim kardashian that flies into Miami to make money off people in South Florida.

Real Canes fans want the program to start winning and that takes money to hire coaches and build facilities like indoor practice facilities. UM can't make less money playing playing in a undersized MLS stadium that can't seat 65K for our big games like FSU and ND where we double our ticket prices. All you are pumping is a stadium with a great scenic view that limits our ticket sales back to 1999 levels. That great scenic view doesn't win games or make extra revenue by selling ticket to fans that demand a winning program as Marlin Park proved.

UM can't make more money playing in Beckman stadium than we can at SLS. Show me the money since SLS will always make more money for the Canes than UM paying for Beckham stadium where we won't even be able to play daytime games.

Please. Stop. Calling someone a soccer fan is pretty much fightin' words so you probably should temper it down. I live in Lauderdale, buddy. Getting to SLS is extremely convenient for me (leaving not so much sometimes). I'm done debating this. Wake me up in 60 days. If you'd like to see my collection of ticket stubs from the last decade or longer just let me know which (if any) games you'll be at this season. I'll be at the Spring Game with about 300 other people if that works. The 95% empty seats should look good to recruits on the ESPNU broadcast of it.

Well I apologist for inferring you were a soccer fan since I agree that was sick. I'm not a fan of Billy Cohen that set me off. Please just two more question. This is Beckham's back up list in the Herald today if he doesn't get the Port site for his stadium.;

"While three other sites have been listed as fall-back options — land near the Miami International Airport, Florida International University’s western campus, and a site adjoining Marlins Park in Little Havana — Alschuler only presented renderings for a port stadium, and he said that remains Beckham’s top choice."

Are you still going to be so Gun-Ho if Beckham picks the Florida International University’s campus as his new site for the Canes to play there? Also what about the other two backup sites that don't have great scenic views?

Haha. Apology accepted. I apologize for inferring you might be Cohen. The mere association through him to Fat Paul Castronovo is a line I shouldn't have crossed.

To answer your question- Yes, I'd enthusiastically endorse almost any move from SLS that puts the venue closer to campus and closer to that 40-50k capacity figure. Obviously the aesthetics of the Port site would be a HUGE bonus but I'm for anything that'd actually give us a homefield advantage again and one that is more suitable to 90% of our average (butts in seats) crowd sizes. I'll gladly drive an addl 25 miles south for that type of atmosphere.

Marlins Park has a fantastic view, and having it near that area can accomplish a lot of the same things as the Port site, and likely would be more feasible

If I were running with this project, I'd also make the most grandiose site "the pick." If that doesn't work out, a site by the Marlins Park that works for both Soccer and UM would be a nice "compromise." Maybe it could be billed as a savior to the disaster that is currently Marlins Park development area.

If they were to eventually go with that site I would love to see one thing happen at the press conference. I want Beckham to say with a straight face "We promise to never schedule a game that'd conflict with a Marlins game." and then literally fall off the dais cackling with laughter.

I'm selfish and I dont care. SL is close to my crib, easy to get to, tailgating off the chain, have a seat back, ok (not thrilled) with season ticket price, I DONT WANT TO GO ANYWHERE!

Its the fans who make it, not the stadium. Want to make it a fun atmosphere, show up to the games!

Who cares about a stadium being closer to the school, or the football team, or the recruits, or the average fan, or ANYTHING. Forget the fact that it being isolated from all of the aforementioned inherently devalues what it has to offer and makes the school/team/fanbase look like ****. As long as you're good, I'm happy!

After all why should you care about the product you're allegedly rooting for? You just want to sit in a plastic chair in the sun, drink beer, and watch people running around on grass. And you want to be able to do that without going too far from your house dammit!

True, I dont care if the stadium is near the school, like I said, I am selfish. I go to every game, be it Florida St or be it Bethune, so yes, its closer to me and I like it. Isolated from the average fan? WTF are you smoking? Did you see the people at the UF game, did you see the people at the FSU, OSU games?

Maybe if the "fanbase" would show up to all the games the same way, the stadium would not look so empty.

We aight going nowhere homie! And if we do, I will be there as well.

Quit crying!

Do you understand that part of the reason fans don't show up for games is that SLS is in casa del carajo and not nearly as close to the core of people most affiliated to the school?

Isolated from the average fan = isolated from the demand and the biggest area of potential consumers. Not that hard to understand. Population density.

Canes fans don't show up since they can see the game for free at home or any sports bar. The only way you will get Canes fan to in mass to go to a game is you black out all TV From Orlando to Key West.

Haha. Apology accepted. I apologize for inferring you might be Cohen. The mere association through him to Fat Paul Castronovo is a line I shouldn't have crossed.

To answer your question- Yes, I'd enthusiastically endorse almost any move from SLS that puts the venue closer to campus and closer to that 40-50k capacity figure. Obviously the aesthetics of the Port site would be a HUGE bonus but I'm for anything that'd actually give us a homefield advantage again and one that is more suitable to 90% of our average (butts in seats) crowd sizes. I'll gladly drive an addl 25 miles south for that type of atmosphere.

Well I now will show you a new level of respect if you hate SLS so much that you would share FIU's stadium with the MLS team and the Canes playing there. I don't hate SLS and love the tailgating. I loved the OB but it is gone. I hate the view from the SLS sideline but that is true with any stadium that is designed for soccer. I wish more fans would go to SLS for Canes but it is a good venue for me.

The only way that Canes fans will ever show up in mass at any Canes game is the day they black out all TV games from South Florida. As Joe Robbie that loved Blackouts use to say "You can't sell tickets to a game you can get free".

Advertisement
from the Daily Business Review, emphasis on the parking issue. i have lived here for all of my life and worked in downtown for years and know the area well. none of the assumptions seem reasonable.

Give or take 6,400 more cars.
That's how many vehicles would flood downtown Miami to hunt for parking on game day if a new soccer stadium is built in the southwest corner of PortMiami, the proponents estimated Monday at an event unveiling its plans.
It's enough to sop up more than 80 percent of the spaces likely to be available in the city's urban core, according to a group adviser, who at the same time maintained that wouldn't necessarily make traffic worse. The group is backed by retired soccer superstar David Beckham, British entertainment entrepreneur Simon Fuller and Miami Beach billionaire Marcelo Claure.

"Will downtown be congested? Yes. Will it be beyond current levels of traffic? We don't think so," John Alschuler, chairman of New York-based HR&A Advisors Inc., said during an unveiling of stadium plans. HR&A is advising on the project and commissioned a draft traffic and parking impact study to arrive at its numbers.
The study assumes 85 percent of the more than 25,000 fans who would pack a Saturday night sellout starting in 2018 would arrive by car, Alschuler said. There's enough parking in so-called "surplus" 7,900 downtown parking places to accommodate demand, he said.
A slide showed the estimate assumed fans would park west of Northwest First Avenue from South First Street to North 11th Street. Alschuler said the analysis assumed empty office building garages would be available to fans.Parking demand could also be accommodated by providing up to 2,500 spaces at the stadium, though no such plan has been approved.

Parking and traffic issues in an area that already sees gridlock during major cultural and sporting events—and is expected to suffer even more congestion with the proposed Miami WorldCenter project nearby—is quickly becoming a major sticking point for Dodge Island stadium opponents.
Miami-based Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., which has its headquarters on the county-owned island, opposes the development. The cruise line has said it has "deep reservations about using this port as a location for a stadium" and pointed to traffic as an issue.

Traffic Management
Alschuler said stadium planners have taken into consideration several steps that could be taken to handle new traffic. Games would take place when they would minimize the overlap with cruise passenger traffic, he said. The team also would schedule matches so they don't coincide with Miami Heat games at the nearby American Airlines Arena, which relies on private parking for its fans.

But the plan doesn't consider some other likely factors. The traffic study is based on the assumption the stadium would hold 25,000 fans, even though the people pushing the project are considering a 40,000-seat stadium if the University of Miami agrees to use the arena as a home field for football games.
Alschuler suggested "traffic management" could take care of most issues with fans crossing Biscayne Boulevard. He later said Biscayne Boulevard would likely need elevated pedestrian paths, but "we wouldn't build that."

Alschuler and the design firm Arquitectonica, which is engaged in the project, emphasized what they see as the transformative nature of the project.
It would include a large public plaza and potentially up to 1 million square feet of mixed-use buildings. Residential condos are unlikely, but hotel and office space is a possibility, Alschuler said.

Bernardo Fort-Brescia, principal of Miami-based Arquitectonica, said a marquee accomplishment of the project would be to turn a cement path that runs along the roadway to the port into a lush walkable garden similar to the High Line linear park in New York City. It would be "more like another room" than a simple walkway, Fort-Brescia told the Daily Business Review.

Another signature accomplishment would be to create a stadium with panoramic views of downtown Miami, Alschuler said. Project backers hope the area around the stadium will become a focal point for downtown Miami with year-round open-air events and even a nightclub.
"It will create an unparalleled experience in soccer in the United States, perhaps an unparalleled experience anywhere in the world," Alschuler said.
It's not a given that the stadium will be built on the proposed PortMiami site, though it's the preference of the project's backers. The group has looked at over 30 sites and whittled possible locations down to the port site, one abutting Marlins Park in Miami's Little Havana, one near Miami International Airport and one at the Florida International University campus in west Miami-Dade County.

"If the port site isn't feasible, we'll move elsewhere," Alschuler said.

Read more: http://www.dailybusinessreview.com/...-For-Beckham-MLS-Soccer-Stadium#ixzz2x50U0FqG

from the Daily Business Review, emphasis on the parking issue. i have lived here for all of my life and worked in downtown for years and know the area well. none of the assumptions seem reasonable.

Give or take 6,400 more cars.
That's how many vehicles would flood downtown Miami to hunt for parking on game day if a new soccer stadium is built in the southwest corner of PortMiami, the proponents estimated Monday at an event unveiling its plans.
It's enough to sop up more than 80 percent of the spaces likely to be available in the city's urban core, according to a group adviser, who at the same time maintained that wouldn't necessarily make traffic worse. The group is backed by retired soccer superstar David Beckham, British entertainment entrepreneur Simon Fuller and Miami Beach billionaire Marcelo Claure.

"Will downtown be congested? Yes. Will it be beyond current levels of traffic? We don't think so," John Alschuler, chairman of New York-based HR&A Advisors Inc., said during an unveiling of stadium plans. HR&A is advising on the project and commissioned a draft traffic and parking impact study to arrive at its numbers.
The study assumes 85 percent of the more than 25,000 fans who would pack a Saturday night sellout starting in 2018 would arrive by car, Alschuler said. There's enough parking in so-called "surplus" 7,900 downtown parking places to accommodate demand, he said.
A slide showed the estimate assumed fans would park west of Northwest First Avenue from South First Street to North 11th Street. Alschuler said the analysis assumed empty office building garages would be available to fans.Parking demand could also be accommodated by providing up to 2,500 spaces at the stadium, though no such plan has been approved.

Parking and traffic issues in an area that already sees gridlock during major cultural and sporting events—and is expected to suffer even more congestion with the proposed Miami WorldCenter project nearby—is quickly becoming a major sticking point for Dodge Island stadium opponents.
Miami-based Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., which has its headquarters on the county-owned island, opposes the development. The cruise line has said it has "deep reservations about using this port as a location for a stadium" and pointed to traffic as an issue.

Traffic Management
Alschuler said stadium planners have taken into consideration several steps that could be taken to handle new traffic. Games would take place when they would minimize the overlap with cruise passenger traffic, he said. The team also would schedule matches so they don't coincide with Miami Heat games at the nearby American Airlines Arena, which relies on private parking for its fans.

But the plan doesn't consider some other likely factors. The traffic study is based on the assumption the stadium would hold 25,000 fans, even though the people pushing the project are considering a 40,000-seat stadium if the University of Miami agrees to use the arena as a home field for football games.
Alschuler suggested "traffic management" could take care of most issues with fans crossing Biscayne Boulevard. He later said Biscayne Boulevard would likely need elevated pedestrian paths, but "we wouldn't build that."

Alschuler and the design firm Arquitectonica, which is engaged in the project, emphasized what they see as the transformative nature of the project.
It would include a large public plaza and potentially up to 1 million square feet of mixed-use buildings. Residential condos are unlikely, but hotel and office space is a possibility, Alschuler said.

Bernardo Fort-Brescia, principal of Miami-based Arquitectonica, said a marquee accomplishment of the project would be to turn a cement path that runs along the roadway to the port into a lush walkable garden similar to the High Line linear park in New York City. It would be "more like another room" than a simple walkway, Fort-Brescia told the Daily Business Review.

Another signature accomplishment would be to create a stadium with panoramic views of downtown Miami, Alschuler said. Project backers hope the area around the stadium will become a focal point for downtown Miami with year-round open-air events and even a nightclub.
"It will create an unparalleled experience in soccer in the United States, perhaps an unparalleled experience anywhere in the world," Alschuler said.
It's not a given that the stadium will be built on the proposed PortMiami site, though it's the preference of the project's backers. The group has looked at over 30 sites and whittled possible locations down to the port site, one abutting Marlins Park in Miami's Little Havana, one near Miami International Airport and one at the Florida International University campus in west Miami-Dade County.

"If the port site isn't feasible, we'll move elsewhere," Alschuler said.

Read more: http://www.dailybusinessreview.com/...-For-Beckham-MLS-Soccer-Stadium#ixzz2x50U0FqG

Read this yesterday. What I find hilarious is "There's enough parking in so-called "surplus" 7,900 downtown parking places to accommodate demand, he said. A slide showed the estimate assumed fans would park west of Northwest First Avenue from South First Street to North 11th Street." That would be a 1+ mile walk.

Advertisement
Why dont miami try to get a stadium in homestead

There are numerous scenarios with abundant land available. In addition, we also had a nice plot of vacant land (big enough for a stadium and parking) but we allegedly sold it and put the proceeds towards the hospital (the real priority).

It is about priorities. It is about having a plan. It appears there is no long term plan in place TO GET OUR OWN STADIUM. Ideas that are floated: (a) Beckham or (b) waiting for the Marlins to leave town (if they leave town) don't demonstrate a plan in place.

The idea of sitting in SLS for 18 years is nauseating.

I'm selfish and I dont care. SL is close to my crib, easy to get to, tailgating off the chain, have a seat back, ok (not thrilled) with season ticket price, I DONT WANT TO GO ANYWHERE!

Its the fans who make it, not the stadium. Want to make it a fun atmosphere, show up to the games!

Who cares about a stadium being closer to the school, or the football team, or the recruits, or the average fan, or ANYTHING. Forget the fact that it being isolated from all of the aforementioned inherently devalues what it has to offer and makes the school/team/fanbase look like ****. As long as you're good, I'm happy!

After all why should you care about the product you're allegedly rooting for? You just want to sit in a plastic chair in the sun, drink beer, and watch people running around on grass. And you want to be able to do that without going too far from your house dammit!

True, I dont care if the stadium is near the school, like I said, I am selfish. I go to every game, be it Florida St or be it Bethune, so yes, its closer to me and I like it. Isolated from the average fan? WTF are you smoking? Did you see the people at the UF game, did you see the people at the FSU, OSU games?

Maybe if the "fanbase" would show up to all the games the same way, the stadium would not look so empty.

We aight going nowhere homie! And if we do, I will be there as well.

Quit crying!

Do you understand that part of the reason fans don't show up for games is that SLS is in casa del carajo and not nearly as close to the core of people most affiliated to the school?

Isolated from the average fan = isolated from the demand and the biggest area of potential consumers. Not that hard to understand. Population density.

The core people most affiliated to the school? You mean the 5,000 students who live on or near campus? Or the 15k undergraduates. The is small number of fan, who by the way get a free ride to the stadium. FYI - its a small school, student wise.

Isolated from the average fan? Where is the "avg fan" located exactly? Last time I checked, there were fans in the Keys all they up to Palm Beach County. SLS in Miami Gardens is accessible to the highways and in the middle of the tri county area. Aren't those the consumers?

Let me guess, you are further south and want the stadium closer to you? It's ok to admit it.

Well if anyone wants to check out what the traffic will be like for Canes games then check out the Ultra Music Festival in Bayfront Park across the water from the new stadium starts on Friday-Sunday. BTW, at least they don't have to walk over that bridge to Dodge Island.

The festival, which runs Friday, March 28th through Sunday, March 30th, is one of the largest electronic music festivals in the world. Some 50,000 to 60,000 people are expected each day.

Traffic along Biscayne Blvd will be rerouted through the weekend. The initial traffic pattern change and set up will happen starting Thursday, March 27, 2014, at 9 p.m. The reroute will be as follows; all southbound traffic along Biscayne Boulevard will be detoured west at NE 4 Street, to NE 2 Avenue and continue southbound on NE 2 Avenue. All northbound traffic along Biscayne Boulevard will be reduced to two lanes and shifted to the southbound lanes at SE 1 Street. It will continue northbound until NE 4 Street, where it will be shifted back to the regular northbound lanes. http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/03/24/final-prep-underway-for-ultra-music-fest-in-downtown-miami/

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement

'"The consortium, which publicised their opposition in a full-page advert in two major newspapers, said if given the green light, it would threaten the city's plans to capitalise on the expansion of the Panama Canal."

"Neither Braman nor Fox would say who paid for the two ads in Monday's paper, worth nearly £15,000."

This seems vaguely familiar.

200.jpg

Ross will let Miami out of the contract, he's not a bad person and knows it's a difficult situation for the University of Miami. The real problem is the Beckham Group, they don't want Miami, they don't want a 40,000 seat stadium. They want the other space around the smaller stadium to build apartments, offices and retail. I hope all the Miami fans take the position that if there's no "U" there's going to be no Beckham development. It's The U's final shot at a stadium and the politicians can't ***** us again as they did with the Orange Bowl. The "U" is Miami's original and first team and there are tens of thousands of voters that can send a message that the University of Miami must be included.

Last edited:
The "U" is Miami's original and first team and there are tens of thousands of voters that can send a message that the University of Miami must be included.

You must not be very familiar with how Miami politics work. Voters don't mean a thing if they ain't got that green.

I hope all the Miami fans take the position that if there's no "U" there's going to be no Beckham development.

Exactly. Let's not get rolled again. I hate all this helpless talk like we have no say in the matter. Look at how that worked out the last time.

Advertisement
Back