Beckham Stadium Design Released

average? I don't even think 1 game outside of the UF game had that many in attendance. The Wake game, which was on paper our 2nd best turnout, had maybe 35k in attendance. Half the lower bowl was empty and the 80-90% of the uppers were empty too...

The bottom line is this stadium isn't going to cut it. We have tarps which occupy a bunch of seats and we still are able to see a ton of orange. On November 9th, we we're 7-1 and still had a lot to play for against VT yet the attendance was 49,267.

And before we feel too ****** about our fickle fanbase just remember that FSU had almost 20000 empty seats for their final home game last season and we all know there ain't squat else to do in Tally. The people on here that are pro leaving SLS at any cost just are more realistic about what is suitable for our program. I actually do respect those that think we can drum up enough support to fill SLS on a regular basis just by winning but I think that optimism isn't realistic. We need to play to our strengths and that facility will never do it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The NCAA has rules for counting attendance, and schools must audit their attendance figures and send in the results to the NCAA every year. The attendance numbers that no one believes are very close to actual PAID attendance. Those numbers may not reflect butts in the seats, but they do reflect the number of tickets sold, in conjunction with the proper calculation for students (who cannot be counted unless they actually attend, in most cases).

If you're interested, read Bylaw 20.9.9.3.1 - 20.9.9.3.1.1 give schools the option to use "actual attendance," while 20.9.9.3.2 allows schools to use "paid attendance." "For purposes of computing paid attendance figures, tickets must be sold for at least one-third of the highest regular established ticket price as established prior to the season, regardless of whether they are used for admission." In other words, free tickets, or deeply discounted tickets, cannot be counted toward paid attendance.

Student attendance is covered by Bylaw 20.9.9.3.1.2.1.

Since everyone agrees that there are never any butts in the seats at SLS, it seems most would agree that UM uses a "paid attendance" calculation. Using said NCAA mandated attendance calculations, UM averaged 53,837 in 2013.

DS,

We know the school reports the attendance as (53,837 per game) so it is likely "paid" attendance. We know that we had one game that was an outlier in 2013 (UF game), that rest of the games averaged 49,982. In addition, we know some (not all) but some portion of the UF faithful bought season tickets because it guaranteed them tickets to the UM game. My guess is our actual average attendance (i.e. sit in the seats) is around 46,500.

Using "Paid Attendance" how does it count the students? I assume since students pay an athletic fee and it is automatically charged as part of tuition, does that mean almost all 16,000 (around 10,400 undergrad + 5300 grad) count as paid attendance?

Even with all of this being said.

What portion of the PAID ATTENDANCE goes into UM's pocket? What portion of CONCESSIONS goes into UM's pocket?

average? I don't even think 1 game outside of the UF game had that many in attendance. The Wake game, which was on paper our 2nd best turnout, had maybe 35k in attendance. Half the lower bowl was empty and the 80-90% of the uppers were empty too...

Exactly. People forget that there were plenty of empty seats at that UF game too. I still don't get why people assume "paid" attendance means paid an assumed face value either. Sure, all those Wake tix were "paid" for but the face value was either none existent or it was accurately reflected at $1 or whatever that deal was.

A ticket sold for less than 1/3 the price of the highest priced regular ticket cannot be used in a "paid attendance" calculation.

But you have no proof that this paid attendance standard is applied to the figure that UM publicizes or is occasionally announced at SLS. They very easily could be just using all tickets "sold". There's no way that Wake game sold that amount of tickets at 1/3 the price of the highest regular ticket.

I'm selfish and I dont care. SL is close to my crib, easy to get to, tailgating off the chain, have a seat back, ok (not thrilled) with season ticket price, I DONT WANT TO GO ANYWHERE!

Its the fans who make it, not the stadium. Want to make it a fun atmosphere, show up to the games!

Beckham is only going to build a stadium that is up to 25K in the Port that could be expanded to 35K in the future. Beckman has committed the stadium will not be used during the day or on nights when the Miami Heat are playing in the AAA so that the stadium won't interfere with the Port of Miami traffic and parking

There is zero chance that UM will play in any stadium that has those restrictions.

Advertisement
Beckham is only going to build a stadium that is up to 25K in the Port that could be expanded to 35K in the future. Beckman has committed the stadium will not be used during the day or on nights when the Miami Heat are playing in the AAA so that the stadium won't interfere with the Port of Miami traffic and parking

There is zero chance that UM will play in any stadium that has those restrictions.

Is this Billy Cohen? I really liked a few of your movies but you have to stop masquerading as a Canes fan, bro. You haven't been to an actual game in years and obviously have moved on from trolling the administration at UM to a full time sycophant of the anti-new stadium crew. Just go get Kevin Brinkworth to do all your legwork again and you might be able to possibly beat Najeh Davenport in putting out The U Part II.

I'm selfish and I dont care. SL is close to my crib, easy to get to, tailgating off the chain, have a seat back, ok (not thrilled) with season ticket price, I DONT WANT TO GO ANYWHERE!

Its the fans who make it, not the stadium. Want to make it a fun atmosphere, show up to the games!

Who cares about a stadium being closer to the school, or the football team, or the recruits, or the average fan, or ANYTHING. Forget the fact that it being isolated from all of the aforementioned inherently devalues what it has to offer and makes the school/team/fanbase look like ****. As long as you're good, I'm happy!

After all why should you care about the product you're allegedly rooting for? You just want to sit in a plastic chair in the sun, drink beer, and watch people running around on grass. And you want to be able to do that without going too far from your house dammit!

DS,

We know the school reports the attendance as (53,837 per game) so it is likely "paid" attendance. We know that we had one game that was an outlier in 2013 (UF game), that rest of the games averaged 49,982. In addition, we know some (not all) but some portion of the UF faithful bought season tickets because it guaranteed them tickets to the UM game. My guess is our actual average attendance (i.e. sit in the seats) is around 46,500.

Using "Paid Attendance" how does it count the students? I assume since students pay an athletic fee and it is automatically charged as part of tuition, does that mean almost all 16,000 (around 10,400 undergrad + 5300 grad) count as paid attendance?

Even with all of this being said.

What portion of the PAID ATTENDANCE goes into UM's pocket? What portion of CONCESSIONS goes into UM's pocket?

Exactly. People forget that there were plenty of empty seats at that UF game too. I still don't get why people assume "paid" attendance means paid an assumed face value either. Sure, all those Wake tix were "paid" for but the face value was either none existent or it was accurately reflected at $1 or whatever that deal was.

A ticket sold for less than 1/3 the price of the highest priced regular ticket cannot be used in a "paid attendance" calculation.

But you have no proof that this paid attendance standard is applied to the figure that UM publicizes or is occasionally announced at SLS. They very easily could be just using all tickets "sold". There's no way that Wake game sold that amount of tickets at 1/3 the price of the highest regular ticket.

That is incorrect. UM reported the number I stated to the NCAA in its audited attendance statement.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2013.pdf (page 6, bottom left)

The number had to have been calculated in conformity with NCAA rules.

Is this Billy Cohen? I really liked a few of your movies but you have to stop masquerading as a Canes fan, bro. You haven't been to an actual game in years and obviously have moved on from trolling the administration at UM to a full time sycophant of the anti-new stadium crew. Just go get Kevin Brinkworth to do all your legwork again and you might be able to possibly beat Najeh Davenport in putting out The U Part II.

You are the one that is masquerading as a Canes fan. You must be a soccer fan or someone that would profit from that Port site that wants UM to pay for Beckham stadium. David Beckman is just another ***** like kim kardashian that flies into Miami to make money off people in South Florida.

Real Canes fans want the program to start winning and that takes money to hire coaches and build facilities like indoor practice facilities. UM can't make less money playing playing in a undersized MLS stadium that can't seat 65K for our big games like FSU and ND where we double our ticket prices. All you are pumping is a stadium with a great scenic view that limits our ticket sales back to 1999 levels. That great scenic view doesn't win games or make extra revenue by selling ticket to fans that demand a winning program as Marlin Park proved.

UM can't make more money playing in Beckman stadium than we can at SLS. Show me the money since SLS will always make more money for the Canes than UM paying for Beckham stadium where we won't even be able to play daytime games.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think the Beckham plan including the Canes is a pipe dream. They have opposing parameters.

How do you make a stadium at the port site that can be converted from 25k to 45k. The port site is just not feasible for a multitude of reasons for a Hurricanes game.

I also don't like the idea of playing most of our home games at one stadium then playing the "big" home games somewhere else. What's the point of trying to establish a home-field advantage if your biggest games aren't even going to be played there?

It would be awesome to play our home games at that port location though!

Unfortunately I think we are stuck with the sunlife upgrades. I hate the stadium and the *** tarps and all the empty seats as much as anyone. I just fear that we are stuck with it. We married the *****. It would be an expensive divorce.

That is incorrect. UM reported the number I stated to the NCAA in its audited attendance statement.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2013.pdf (page 6, bottom left)

The number had to have been calculated in conformity with NCAA rules.

So you really believe that we sold 36000 addl tickets by that standard above our 30000 season tickets for that game. Hurricanesports.com has the attendance for that game listed at 66,160.

You are the one that is masquerading as a Canes fan. You must be a soccer fan or someone that would profit from that Port site that wants UM to pay for Beckham stadium. David Beckman is just another ***** like kim kardashian that flies into Miami to make money off people in South Florida.

Real Canes fans want the program to start winning and that takes money to hire coaches and build facilities like indoor practice facilities. UM can't make less money playing playing in a undersized MLS stadium that can't seat 65K for our big games like FSU and ND where we double our ticket prices. All you are pumping is a stadium with a great scenic view that limits our ticket sales back to 1999 levels. That great scenic view doesn't win games or make extra revenue by selling ticket to fans that demand a winning program as Marlin Park proved.

UM can't make more money playing in Beckman stadium than we can at SLS. Show me the money since SLS will always make more money for the Canes than UM paying for Beckham stadium where we won't even be able to play daytime games.

Please. Stop. Calling someone a soccer fan is pretty much fightin' words so you probably should temper it down. I live in Lauderdale, buddy. Getting to SLS is extremely convenient for me (leaving not so much sometimes). I'm done debating this. Wake me up in 60 days. If you'd like to see my collection of ticket stubs from the last decade or longer just let me know which (if any) games you'll be at this season. I'll be at the Spring Game with about 300 other people if that works. The 95% empty seats should look good to recruits on the ESPNU broadcast of it.

Advertisement

Who cares about a stadium being closer to the school, or the football team, or the recruits, or the average fan, or ANYTHING. Forget the fact that it being isolated from all of the aforementioned inherently devalues what it has to offer and makes the school/team/fanbase look like ****. As long as you're good, I'm happy!

After all why should you care about the product you're allegedly rooting for? You just want to sit in a plastic chair in the sun, drink beer, and watch people running around on grass. And you want to be able to do that without going too far from your house dammit!

True, I dont care if the stadium is near the school, like I said, I am selfish. I go to every game, be it Florida St or be it Bethune, so yes, its closer to me and I like it. Isolated from the average fan? WTF are you smoking? Did you see the people at the UF game, did you see the people at the FSU, OSU games?

Maybe if the "fanbase" would show up to all the games the same way, the stadium would not look so empty.

We aight going nowhere homie! And if we do, I will be there as well.

Quit crying!

Wow, did you guys see this?
Hurricanes' Gain Is Disney Visitors' Loss

Anaheim, CA (AP) Visitors to WDW parks and resorts are bracing for a reduction in some attractions this Fall. The University of Miami (FL) has contracted with Disney to have all of Disney's animatronic characters brought into SunLife Stadium on Hurricane game days to enhance the crowd. While the characters themselves won't increase attendance, they will fill in seats of no-shows. UM President Donna Shalala says "that while our ticket sales are substantial, and rising, the fans don't show up on TV". The hope is that since most of the animatronic characters are familiar to most Americans, they will be instantly recognized as seat occupants by TV viewers.

Please. Stop. Calling someone a soccer fan is pretty much fightin' words so you probably should temper it down. I live in Lauderdale, buddy. Getting to SLS is extremely convenient for me (leaving not so much sometimes). I'm done debating this. Wake me up in 60 days. If you'd like to see my collection of ticket stubs from the last decade or longer just let me know which (if any) games you'll be at this season. I'll be at the Spring Game with about 300 other people if that works. The 95% empty seats should look good to recruits on the ESPNU broadcast of it.

Well I apologist for inferring you were a soccer fan since I agree that was sick. I'm not a fan of Billy Cohen that set me off. Please just two more question. This is Beckham's back up list in the Herald today if he doesn't get the Port site for his stadium.;

"While three other sites have been listed as fall-back options — land near the Miami International Airport, Florida International University’s western campus, and a site adjoining Marlins Park in Little Havana — Alschuler only presented renderings for a port stadium, and he said that remains Beckham’s top choice."

Are you still going to be so Gun-Ho if Beckham picks the Florida International University’s campus as his new site for the Canes to play there? Also what about the other two backup sites that don't have great scenic views?

Advertisement

True, I dont care if the stadium is near the school, like I said, I am selfish. I go to every game, be it Florida St or be it Bethune, so yes, its closer to me and I like it. Isolated from the average fan? WTF are you smoking? Did you see the people at the UF game, did you see the people at the FSU, OSU games?

Maybe if the "fanbase" would show up to all the games the same way, the stadium would not look so empty.

Quit crying!

People have been saying what you're saying for 20 years. "Maybe if the fans show up" It aint happening. Understand. We're never gonna be a place that consistently puts 55k butts in seats anywhere we play. You brought up a once in a generation game. A game against UF at home that hadn't happened in a decade and isn't likely to happen again. Still didn't fill it up and had 20k Gator fans in the place. FSU. More frequent but still happens once every 13 or 14 so home games. Keeping talking about anomalies like they'll become the norm. Whatever is best for the program is what I hope happens. If that turns out to be not staring at thousands of empty orange seats even better.

Quit crying!

People have been saying what you're saying for 20 years. "Maybe if the fans show up" It aint happening. Understand. We're never gonna be a place that consistently puts 55k butts in seats anywhere we play. You brought up a once in a generation game. A game against UF at home that hadn't happened in a decade and isn't likely to happen again. Still didn't fill it up and had 20k Gator fans in the place. FSU. More frequent but still happens once every 13 or 14 so home games. Keeping talking about anomalies like they'll become the norm. Whatever is best for the program is what I hope happens. If that turns out to be not staring at thousands of empty orange seats even better.

Even if we play in a stadium with only 40,000 seats there will be empty seats since someone that had tickets didn't show up.

These were our Top 25 Home games and last year's UF game was #18.

1. 81,927 Florida State, 2002 Orange Bowl
2. 81,753 Nebraska, 1995 Orange Bowl
3. 81,634 Notre Dame, 1989 Orange Bowl
4. 80,905 Florida State, 2000 Orange Bowl
5. 80,396 Florida State, 1990 Orange Bowl
6. 80,227 Florida, 1985 Orange Bowl
7. 79,932 Florida, 2003 Orange Bowl
8. 79,480 Nebraska, 1989 Orange Bowl
9. 78,622 Florida State, 2004 Orange Bowl
10. 78,114 Washington, 2001 Orange Bowl
11. 77,836 Florida State, 1988 Orange Bowl
12. 77,747 Nebraska, 1992 Orange Bowl
13. 77,410 Virginia Tech, 2000 Orange Bowl
14. 77,338 Florida State, 1992 Orange Bowl
15. 77,265 Notre Dame, 1967 Orange Bowl
16. 77,224 Florida, 1987 Orange Bowl
17. 77,010 Florida State, 1994 Orange Bowl
18. 76,968 Florida, 2013 Sun Life Stadium
19. 76,640 Notre Dame, 1987 Orange Bowl
20. 76,108 Virginia Tech, 2002 Orange Bowl
21. 75,913 Florida State, 1996 Orange Bowl
22. 75,723 Penn State, 1991 Orange Bowl
23. 75,685 Notre Dame, 1955 Orange Bowl
24. 75,115 Florida State, 2010 Sun Life Stadium
25. 74,760 Oklahoma, 1988 Orange Bowl

http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=205549026

Well I apologist for inferring you were a soccer fan since I agree that was sick. I'm not a fan of Billy Cohen that set me off. Please just two more question. This is Beckham's back up list in the Herald today if he doesn't get the Port site for his stadium.;

"While three other sites have been listed as fall-back options — land near the Miami International Airport, Florida International University’s western campus, and a site adjoining Marlins Park in Little Havana — Alschuler only presented renderings for a port stadium, and he said that remains Beckham’s top choice."

Are you still going to be so Gun-Ho if Beckham picks the Florida International University’s campus as his new site for the Canes to play there? Also what about the other two backup sites that don't have great scenic views?

Marlins Park has a fantastic view, and having it near that area can accomplish a lot of the same things as the Port site, and likely would be more feasible

Quit crying!

Do you understand that part of the reason fans don't show up for games is that SLS is in casa del carajo and not nearly as close to the core of people most affiliated to the school?

Isolated from the average fan = isolated from the demand and the biggest area of potential consumers. Not that hard to understand. Population density.

Advertisement
Back