Beckham Stadium Design Released

Ross will let Miami out of the contract, he's not a bad person and knows it's a difficult situation for the University of Miami. The real problem is the Beckham Group, they don't want Miami, they don't want a 40,000 seat stadium. They want the other space around the smaller stadium to build apartments, offices and retail. I hope all the Miami fans take the position that if there's no "U" there's going to be no Beckham development. It's The U's final shot at a stadium and the politicians can't ***** us again as they did with the Orange Bowl. The "U" is Miami's original and first team and there are tens of thousands of voters that can send a message that the University of Miami must be included.

you have no idea how the world works...

Advertisement
It's beyond hysterical to compare the two recent proposals. Steve Ross wants to patch a 27 year old bland venue in an irrelevant location with nothing nearby other than the Calder barns. The Beckham group is incorporating one visionary aspect after another, and in the heart of a great city.

Different caliber of individuals involved. It's that simple. Ross is overmatched in anything related to football. Regardless of any legit concerns, the Canes have to gamble on greatness with the Beckham proposal. Make any concession that leads to a yes verdict, even if it seems questionable by current known quantities. That's what this program did in the old days, with bold hires like Jimmy Johnson. If we default to fear and play it safe, we're considerable underdogs to return to national championship level, IMO.

JJ a bold hire? Was it really? Who else was in competition, especially with our budget back then? From what I understand, Jimmy practically begged Sam J for the job at some convention, maybe a coach's convention. JJ wanted out of Stillwater so bad because he couldn't fully enjoy his social life on the side the way he could in a big city. JJ really liked to play from what I heard.

We may have been coming off a NC, one that stunned most of the nation that might have really considered it a fluke, but I don't know that the UM job has ever been as coveted as some others. We seemed to have had trouble getting a lot of top people interested, perhaps because we could never spend like the other schools.

Ross will let Miami out of the contract, he's not a bad person and knows it's a difficult situation for the University of Miami. The real problem is the Beckham Group, they don't want Miami, they don't want a 40,000 seat stadium. They want the other space around the smaller stadium to build apartments, offices and retail. I hope all the Miami fans take the position that if there's no "U" there's going to be no Beckham development. It's The U's final shot at a stadium and the politicians can't ***** us again as they did with the Orange Bowl. The "U" is Miami's original and first team and there are tens of thousands of voters that can send a message that the University of Miami must be included.

you have no idea how the world works...

I don't know anything about Ross, I don't live in Miami, and don't follow the Dolphins anymore, but he's--bottom line--a business man, and good businessmen don't see themselves as running charities. He's liable to hold up the U for a good deal of money for getting out of the contract. Maybe there's some kind of escape clause with a penalty, we don't know. The last Dolphin president I remember was Joe Robbie, because I saw him outside the team bus at the old Baltimore Memorial Stadium and he looked like he had been doing some serious drinking. That was early '80's, as I recall.

JJ a bold hire? Was it really? Who else was in competition, especially with our budget back then? From what I understand, Jimmy practically begged Sam J for the job at some convention, maybe a coach's convention. JJ wanted out of Stillwater so bad because he couldn't fully enjoy his social life on the side the way he could in a big city. JJ really liked to play from what I heard.

We may have been coming off a NC, one that stunned most of the nation that might have really considered it a fluke, but I don't know that the UM job has ever been as coveted as some others. We seemed to have had trouble getting a lot of top people interested, perhaps because we could never spend like the other schools.

I find that hard to believe.

252.jpg

Advertisement
Back