Beckham Stadium Design Released

This thinking is so backwards. Miami will spend money buying out their lease, and is willing to lose money consistently by moving to a smaller stadium, but apparently spending money to get the program to a level where it will draw at SLS is totally unreasonable and out of the question.

you got it backwards...

Growing the brand and making it more attractive comes through winning. And competing in a setting that offers a home field advantage helps sell that to fans and recruits, thus bringing more talent and .....ding ding ding....winning.

Anyone who see's a negative in moving to a 40k person stadium with the water and Miami skyline as its backdrop is guilty of going full tard.

I have a better chance of finding the winning powerball numbers in a fortune cookie than Miami consistently drawing enough paying Cane fans to fill SLS for non premier games.

Grow the brand. Bring the money.

I'll ride with Team Beckham on this one.

Advertisement
Miami will go through all those financial hoops to get "their own" stadium, and be in the same boat financially, pleading poverty and still be hiring coaches with BOGO coupons. "Well head coach X is decent I guess, but his DC was never really the same after he got brain damaged in that car accident. Either way, we can't afford two new hires."

This thinking is so backwards. Miami will spend money buying out their lease, and is willing to lose money consistently by moving to a smaller stadium, but apparently spending money to get the program to a level where it will draw at SLS is totally unreasonable and out of the question.

you got it backwards...

Growing the brand and making it more attractive comes through winning. And competing in a setting that offers a home field advantage helps sell that to fans and recruits, thus bringing more talent and .....ding ding ding....winning.

Anyone who see's a negative in moving to a 40k person stadium with the water and Miami skyline as its backdrop is guilty of going full tard.

That is the same pile of crap Florida Marlins president David Samson sold to the City to sucker them into paying for building Marlins Park that is just as empty now as it was in SLS for their games. Our recruits are smart enough to know the differences between a tiny stadium limited to 40K and when they are in other bigger stadiums if those recruits are worried about fans in the seats. When FSU comes to play Miami we will have 76K at SLS and one very loud stadium that gives us a home field advantage over teams when we need it. Beckham's tiny little stadium will never be louder than SLS since they are both too wide due to being build for soccer not football.

Last edited:
In the 1990s most baseball teams downsized their stadiums, yet revenues went up.

Smaller venue + better venue + better location + better team = WAY MORE DEMAND. It's a no brainer. Miami should be getting as involved in this as possible. Would be the best thing to happen to this program since Howard was hired.

Exactly. If this happened I would have renewed my season tickets already. For fear of losing them

To the board,

Three questions so we can all get on the same page

1. What is our current revenue split with SLS for the following items?

a. Ticket Sales,
b. Parking, and
c. Concessions

2. What is our current PAID attendance for 2013?

3. Do you believe in supply and demand?

Advertisement
Miami will go through all those financial hoops to get "their own" stadium, and be in the same boat financially, pleading poverty and still be hiring coaches with BOGO coupons. "Well head coach X is decent I guess, but his DC was never really the same after he got brain damaged in that car accident. Either way, we can't afford two new hires."

What is the buyout?

Students alone would be able to make up any perceived difference. How? Well kids are paying for tickets as part of their fees to attend school. It's why they can go to any game with a Cane card. Increase the fee and problem solved. It is justified b/c the new stadium would be a much more premium ticket. Supply and demand. I doubt a kid who is willingly paying 40K a year to go to school is going to stop coming to UM if he or she has to pay a reasonable increase in their athletics fee.

With that location and a good program not only will you sell out more, thus increasing demand and cache, but you'll see more primetime games there which means more TV money for the ACC. Btw, seat capacity of the stadium has little to do with home field advantage. The Seahawks stadium is one of the smallest in the NFL, but is incredibly loud b/c of it's design. Same for Oregon's stadium. If it has a canopy type thing and 40k and a good team on the field it's going to be loud as **** in there.

you got it backwards...

That is the same pile of crap Florida Marlins president David Samson sold to the City to sucker them into paying for building Marlins Park that is just as empty now as it was in SLS for their games. Our recruits are smart enough to know the differences between a tiny stadium limited to 40K and when they are in other bigger stadiums if those recruits are worried about fans in the seats. When FSU comes to play Miami we will have 76K at SLS and one very loud stadium that gives us a home field advantage over teams when we need it. Beckham's tiny little stadium will never be louder than SLS since they are both too wide due to being build for soccer not football.

Only a matter of time until this mope appeared in this thread.

**** makes all his scratch working concessions at Sun Life, and now he's here to tell us what's what.

Last edited:

you got it backwards...

Only a matter of time until this mope appeared in this thread.

**** makes all his scratch working concessions at Sun Life, and now he's here to tell us what's what.

That level of stupidity goes way beyond a concession worker...

I'd bet he's currently part of the administration...or perhaps a defensive consultant.

Advertisement

What is the buyout?

I have no idea. But they signed a 25 year lease right? I'm guessing trying to get out of 19 of those years isn't going to be cheap.

you got it backwards...

Totally agree The atmosphere will be off the chart fantastic

In the 1990s most baseball teams downsized their stadiums, yet revenues went up.

Smaller venue + better venue + better location + better team = WAY MORE DEMAND. It's a no brainer. Miami should be getting as involved in this as possible. Would be the best thing to happen to this program since Howard was hired.

What % of revenue in MLB is derived from stadium attendance though? And how does that number compare to revenue received from the TV contract? Correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation.

I'm not saying Miami needs a bigger stadium. Nor am I saying that I'm opposed to playing in one that's slightly smaller if the situation were more advantageous. But possibly 30,000+ seats smaller? That's bush league. That's a joke. That's Miami saying that they want to be Northwestern. Name for me all of the big time college football programs currently decreasing the number of seats in their stadiums.

And considering that Ross is going to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in upgrades to make his a Super Bowl quality stadium, I'm not sure why anyone would think that now is the best time to bail. Even if the upgrades aren't up to UM's lofty goals, if Beckham's stadium is built to be shared it's not like Miami is going to get another NFL team that is going to play there preventing Miami from moving there down the road.

All options should be exhausted to make SLS Miami's home.

What % of revenue in MLB is derived from stadium attendance though? And how does that number compare to revenue received from the TV contract? Correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation.

I'm not saying Miami needs a bigger stadium. Nor am I saying that I'm opposed to playing in one that's slightly smaller if the situation were more advantageous. But possibly 30,000+ seats smaller? That's bush league. That's a joke. That's Miami saying that they want to be Northwestern. Name for me all of the big time college football programs currently decreasing the number of seats in their stadiums.

And considering that Ross is going to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in upgrades to make his a Super Bowl quality stadium, I'm not sure why anyone would think that now is the best time to bail. Even if the upgrades aren't up to UM's lofty goals, if Beckham's stadium is built to be shared it's not like Miami is going to get another NFL team that is going to play there preventing Miami from moving there down the road.

Baylor is building a brand new stadium. 45k. Stanford downsized from 80k to 50k. Much like us they used to get one big crowd a year. Cal. They remodeled and have a much better atmosphere.

Advertisement
I hope Beckham leaves Tallahassee tomorrow without any chance of a state tax relief deal. Beckham is ******** up the Dolphins stadium upgrade trying to get the same tax relief from the State of Florida that the Dolphins need for the upgrading SLS.

Anyone that thinks Beckham would spend his money on building the Canes a stadium is just gullible. Beckham is playing Canes fans as fools to help him and he has already down sized his stadium to only 20K-25K. Even worst Beckham gave up concessions to the Port of Miami that would not allow the stadium in the Port to be used during the day or on nights when the Heat play.

There is zero chance UM would move to Beckham stadium if it is in the Port of Miami since the Canes couldn't play on Saturday afternoon and would be very limited days playing on Saturday nights having the 3rd pick to both the MLS and Heat games that couldn't be played on the same nights. Miami would have to play on Thursday or Friday night but that would require the ACC & ESPN that owns our TV rights to schedule for conference games.

Last edited:

Baylor is building a brand new stadium. 45k. Stanford downsized from 80k to 50k. Much like us they used to get one big crowd a year. Cal. They remodeled and have a much better atmosphere.

Baylor has been playing at Floyd Casey Stadium in Waco since 1950 and it seating capacity was 50K. Baylor's new stadium (McLane Stadium) will open with only 45K in 2014 but is designed to be expandable to 55,000 per Wiki.

Last edited:

While both have had success recently, Baylor has finished the season ranked six times in the previous thirty five years. When Stanford decided to decrease the size of their stadium they had been to one major bowl in the previous thirty-four years. I wouldn't consider them "college football powers" in the historic sense. But putting that aside Baylor's new stadium will seat roughly the same amount as their current stadium. And Stanford's success is owed more to Jim Harbaugh and Andrew Luck than it is to a smaller stadium. And for the record, their attendance is still bad. How many Baylor coaches and players can you name that came before Art Briles and RG3? Coaches who can coach and recruit have more to do with getting fans in the seats than the stadium itself.

Some Miami fans would rather spend more money to address the aesthetics of an empty stadium than they would spend less money to simply increase the people coming out to the one they have.

Advertisement
during the playoffs, the Miami heat sees its fans go from diehards to people who just want to dress nicely and be seen at the heat games.

do the heat care? no. because they are raking in the money from these snobby rich folks.

the revenue will not take a hit just because the total tickets sales go down because TICKET PRICES WILL SKYROCKET IF THIS HAPPENS (as it should)

What is the buyout?

I have no idea. But they signed a 25 year lease right? I'm guessing trying to get out of 19 of those years isn't going to be cheap.

Possibly.

What is the buyout?

Possibly.

Well I'd hope Stephen Ross wouldn't be a BULLY about it.

What is the buyout?

Possibly.

Well I'd hope Stephen Ross wouldn't be a BULLY about it.

There should be something in the contract/lease. I am sure both sides made guarantees they must live up to as well.

Since nobody knows the CURRENT revenue split,

Since nobody knows the CURRENT paid attendance,

Since nobody knows the CURRENT buyout, perhaps

It is fair to speculate on what could be good and could be bad for our future.

Can we all agree that (from a game day experience) that the current situation is terrible and 18-19 more years here is not the answer to improve this.

Advertisement
Back