Beckham Stadium Design Released

What does UM have to lose??? We will see in 60 days what happens.

The only thing is Ross, will he let us out of the lease or demand we play 1 marquee game a year in Sun Life

Also, if MLS fails in So. Fla like it did when the Fusion were here we could then become the only tenants.

Advertisement
"full frontal views"....Im in!

161.jpg

All I see is one huge traffic jam!!!! You think it is bad getting into and out of a heat game in Downtown???......multilply that 10 fold for this location!!

The stadium itself looks great, but I won't be getting season tickets anymore if they have us playing games at the Port of Miami. I'll go to select games, but that's it.

I'm looking forward to the updates to Sunlife stadium. As a north of Dade resident, I am spoiled by the convenience of Sunlife.

Gotta love short-sighted Miamians!

All they care about is the negligible effect on themself, rather than focusing on supporting the greater general benefit.

Instead of seeing a traffic jam, why not see a cause for enhanced public transit demand, thus leading to a more walkable culture permeating Miami.

But, I know I'm just a hopeless optimist with that.

As for the site... looks cool, would need to know a lot more on the effect on the port before having any idea if its possible. I do like that they are prioritizing making it an enhancing part of the urban core.

Site by Marlins park could work well if this falls through. Don't like any other venues offered

Advertisement
And, NO, I don't think getting out of downtown after HEAT games is bad at all. Getting out of Sunlife is always a much bigger pain in the ***

May have issues with the logistics, but who could argue with a Thursday night ESPN game in this venue? Definite win for that environment!

They would probably have to add another 3 lane bridge to the island. It is a long shot but the picture that "WhatTheHell" just drew for me.... well I would be more than excited to know that it would happen. I think money and Stephen Ross are going to be the deciding factor of this.

Advertisement
The Beckham group is also in “active discussions” with the University of Miami about sharing the stadium with the Hurricanes football team, which now plays at the Miami Dolphins’ Sun Life Stadium under a long-term lease. That would require the soccer stadium, now designed for about 20,000 to 25,000 spectators, to grow to about 40,000 seats, complicating the parking picture and scheduling, he said.

The group expects to decide within 60 days whether the UM idea is feasible, Alschuler said.

Glad how everyone just kinda passed over this right here.

Not to mention anyone downplaying the traffic and parking issues, really just doesn't understand the logistics of downtown Miami.

Its right there out of the mouth of this guy. It will complicate things.

and Tailgating…. from a parkin garage…. this is what ya'll want??

Not me, I've been going to games since I was 3 years old, haven't missed a home game in 15 years. I don't want any part of this.

Renovate Sun-Life with seats closer to the field, which costs UM nothing, and call it a day.

The one thing this move absolutely guarantees, is that 20,000-30,000 less tickets will be available to be SOLD. Multiply that over 6 home games per year, thats a **** ton of money to a program that is already behind the 8-ball when it comes to resources. Come on man!

The traffic jam stuff is legitimate, except this isn't supposed to be a stadium for the next 3-5 years. It's supposed to be a stadium for 25 years from now when Downtown and Brickell merge to become a walkable urban part of a city. Miami is young. Think longer term. Whether it's at this site or somewhere else, at least all options should be explored.

I doubt the stadium will ever include hurricanes. I think they are just using football to draw interest. I would love for it to happen, bringing back the canes to Miami. I just don't see it happen.

Either way, I would love to see the stadium there. The walk from the parking around the AAA is about the same distance or less than some of the parking at sun life. Also, Royal Caribbean is now trying to throw their weight around, when they have shifted half, if not a majority, of their ships to port Everglades in fort Lauderdale. So I don't want to hear much from them. Bring back your ships, then I'll listen. Till then, the Becham group's plan has been the most will thought plan for the site, and they have actually moved forward with it and put up money for it. I say do it. Too bad I don't think the canes will get to enjoy much from it.

soccer in miami is likely to be successful as long as we have a good stadium location and we are successful on the field. third and fourth generation cuban americans are into soccer since they played it at an early age. i know tons of 18-25 who watch and follow european soccer (btw, yesterday's El Clasico was a classic). also there are more latin americans than cubans and they follow soccer more. fans and attendance should not be a problem, assuming location and success.

i dont like the location and i dont think it will work. getting in and out of there will be a PITA, even if miami becomes more pedestrian. tailgaiting will not exist because there will be structured parking, not field parking. the port had developed a master plans years ago for this site and they are trying to sell it. i also think there will be little political support for the port location.

UM still has many years on the SLS lease and this is a big hurdle for sharing the stadium with UM. i have to believe that there are opt-out and buy out provisions (rather than buying out the entire balance), but no details have been revealed.

Advertisement
The traffic jam stuff is legitimate, except this isn't supposed to be a stadium for the next 3-5 years. It's supposed to be a stadium for 25 years from now when Downtown and Brickell merge to become a walkable urban part of a city. Miami is young. Think longer term. Whether it's at this site or somewhere else, at least all options should be explored.

THANK YOU!

Dis-incentivizing being so car-dependent can be a longer term positive and make a lot of people's qualms with how Miami is structured start to disappear

THANK YOU!

Dis-incentivizing being so car-dependent can be a longer term positive and make a lot of people's qualms with how Miami is structured start to disappear

We're just a ways away from that. We can't even get passed local politics to get Uber here.

I really don't see this happening, but I'm also biased toward hoping anything changes us from Sun Life. Not because it's far from where I live or I was in love with the Orange Bowl (I was), but because - unless re-done to become a football stadium - it's a really bad experience and sometimes even feels like it levels the playing field for our opponents.

THANK YOU!

We're just a ways away from that. We can't even get passed local politics to get Uber here.

I really don't see this happening, but I'm also biased toward hoping anything changes us from Sun Life. Not because it's far from where I live or I was in love with the Orange Bowl (I was), but because - unless re-done to become a football stadium - it's a really bad experience and sometimes even feels like it levels the playing field for our opponents.

I feel the same way about Sun Life. We have nowhere near the homefield advantage we had with the OB.

Advertisement
We can debate logistics all day on this issue but can people PLEASE stop subtracting 40000 from 72000 and claiming that UM would lose ALL that ticket revenue. That's as dumb as believing people would fill SLS if we just moved the lower level seating 10 feet closer to the field. Bam! Homefield advantage back!!!!

I'll concede that tailgating won't be as easy as having acres upon acres of empty parking lots in an area with no other entertainment options aside from watching the freak show that is that WalMart but there are creative ways around that. Insofar as parking, we all yearn for the glory days and romanticized memories of the OB. Do we really think that it'd be any more difficult to park/arrive to this location? I seriously have gotten home from Heat games faster than I've exited SLS sometimes and I live in Lauderdale.

In the 1990s most baseball teams downsized their stadiums, yet revenues went up.

Smaller venue + better venue + better location + better team = WAY MORE DEMAND. It's a no brainer. Miami should be getting as involved in this as possible. Would be the best thing to happen to this program since Howard was hired.

THANK YOU!

Agreed, the Uber v Miami is dumb but it's an issue that's happened/happening around the country. Taxi commission's in cities are not happy with Uber and other services like that. But that's a completely different issue dealing with Miami local politicians being the absolutely worst.

I took a hardline approach about this never happening (UM playing in Beckham's stadium) but it looks like it's slightly more plausible. I still feel strongly it will not happen but I now hold out hope, just not a lot of it. With that being said, I don't think we'll be using Beckham's stadium if it is in fact built at this location. I think we'd have to hold out hope for a different location.

As much as I'd love to see Miami turn into a walkable urban city center I just don't think the infrastructure is there yet. I don't think they'd add another 50k capacity facility in such a tight space that lacks any sort of infrastructure. Maybe in 10-15 years when (if) they've decluttered the traffic and provided more public transportation. Until then, our best shot is probably a location near Marlins park or elsewhere.

Advertisement
Back