Be real for a second. Kings draft status.

He will be 25 years old before the 2022 NFL season starts, which is why I’d be shocked he stays for 2021. Let’s cherish every down we have him this season, we haven’t had QB play this good in 15+ years.

Advertisement
King will get drafted. He is a great football player. People are picking German WRs.

His best situation might be Arizona. He can play QB in a system built around a similar player and provide versatility.
Eagles, Bears, Chiefs, Panthers or Ravens are all good landing spots for him.

Not gonna lie. The only reason I'm in this thread is to try to cherrypick info and opinions that would push him to return next year and beat Baga.

Advertisement
OU said Murray measured at 5'9 7/8 in socks so basically 5'10" and he went #1 overall. UM has him at 5'10" but that seems iffy. Murray went #1 overall so based on stature alone I think King warrants a late first with his upside and the way the NFL is now. We'll see...
How does King's arm strength compare to Murray's?

I don't see the NFL hunting down guys like King. I'm not putting down his abilities in college, he is legit one of the best QBs in CFB, but the NFL doesn't really see scrambling as a game changer. I'm not saying King is in any way a BAD passer, but much of his game is opened up due to the agility and ability as a running threat. Heck, Tebow is a great example of excelling as a running threat, and excelling in CFB. Maybe I need to see King play some more to legit answer his draft status question. Hey, if he DESTROYS Clemson, I guarantee his status in the draft will be discussed by all the pundits and the game film sent to NFL managers.

The height thing wouldn’t be an issue if he was more accurate. When you talk about Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray, you’re talking about two of the most accurate throwers in college history. Wilson broke the QBR record while playing at Wisconsin. Also Wilson was drafted when short QBs were still really taboo. He would not have lasted until the third round today. King’s accuracy on deep passes isn’t great. Or at least it’s not good enough for NFL teams to ignore his height. He could work his way up the board. It’s still early and he’s going to have chances to impress. A big problem is that the 2021 QB class is pretty loaded. There are guys who are already locks to go early in the first no matter what happens. I mean even if he totally kills it the rest of the season, hits all the buttons at the combine and somehow measures 5’11”, he still has no chance at all of going ahead of Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields. Right now, second round is his ceiling. He’s probably a third or fourth rounder if they picked today. He’s dynamic enough for a team that already has a quarterback to use a third rounder on.
Great point on the accuracy. What do Murray and Wilson have in common? A perfect deep ball.

I love King and he is a phenomenal college QB but if he wants to make it in the league he really needs to work on his deep throw accuracy. We've all seen the misses. Can't do that in the league and be successful. He still has time, rooting for him to put it all together.

Advertisement
5-7th rage at best. Teams will look for him to be a WR. His best case is Gred Ward type and even he was undrafted.

We overrate the **** out of our guys, so take where you think they will go and move back a round.

Barry Jackson reported yesterday he spoke to (I think two) NFL scouts that indicated he's way too short and would probably have trouble even getting drafted.

Take that FWIW.
I'm no scout but I also have my doubts. His arm is good, not great, in terms of making up for height. And he's pretty accurate but misses on way too many deep balls so far. He starts connecting on those his chances are better, but to me he doesn't seem like an elite nfl prospect. Plenty good to dominate here and be a Heisman contender but a high draft pick is another deal completely.

Advertisement
Has @apfenny3 weighed in?
Had a post about his height earlier. Want to see some more games before I come to a judgement but like what I've seen so far. At the very least I think he can make a career out of being a slot and return man, but if he keeps this up he could get a legitimate shot at QB. Obviously the biggest thing against him is being under 5'9", he'll need a coach/organization that's more spread based

I think it also depends on what NFL teams fire coaches and then delve into the College pool for coaches.

Will this be the year someone like Lincoln Riley bolts for the money of the NFL?

And I bet you he would draft King in a heartbeat after the Praise he gave him.
Other Young innovative coaches might do the same thing too.

Holy smokes
There are a ton of orange and green glasses on
Dude has played three games
Dude has missed a handful of Easy passes each game
Dude is NOT Kyler Murray

he may(and I hope like ****) be a Very good to great college QB but he does
Not have any of the measurable most nfl franchises look for.

hope he plays out his eligibility here
And then makes the best of whatever opp he has but NFL is a diff animal and guys like K Murray and Russ are exceptions not the rule

Advertisement
Holy smokes
There are a ton of orange and green glasses on
Dude has played three games
Dude has missed a handful of Easy passes each game
Dude is NOT Kyler Murray

he may(and I hope like ****) be a Very good to great college QB but he does
Not have any of the measurable most nfl franchises look for.

hope he plays out his eligibility here
And then makes the best of whatever opp he has but NFL is a diff animal and guys like K Murray and Russ are exceptions not the rule
All it takes is one GM or Coach to believe in his skills.

Tebow was a first round pick for goodness sake.

All it takes is one GM or Coach to believe in his skills.

Tebow was a first round pick for goodness sake.
Sure in theory
I think everyone is getting waaaaaay ahead of themselves on this one

I hope he destroys Clemson and we
Roll everyone but I’m also trying to be a realist
And when you look at it objectively....imo it’s a reach...JMHO

Advertisement
Back