#BarryJackson

I think a transfer for Yearby would have probably been the best situation for him. Gus is the one that really should have stayed. I think Gus was going to get the carries he needed to catch peoples' eyes. Yearby clearly just wasn't Richt's guy. He also was not ready for the NFL. By that I mean he didn't have enough eye popping tape to get drafted. He may very well go out and ball and make San Fran for all I know. But he would be the boss at a mid-tier P5 program. Rutgers, Iowa St, Maryland, Kansas/Kansas St, Cal, etc. That being said I wish him nothing but the best and I hope he is scoring TD's on Sunday's carrying on Frank Gore's Cane legacy in San Fran.

Advertisement
I'll get begged for this but Yearby's mistake was having two kids at a very young age while still trying to figure out his life. I'm sure that situation made him feel as he had no other choice but to declare and at least try to make a quick couple of thousands and alleviate some of the pressure.

Richt made it clear that he wasn't getting many touches. I think him transferring to a USF or Houston type program and biting the bullet for another two years would have greatly benefited him more in the long run. It's a hard choice but he would have gotten a degree and two more years of free room and board.

You can't take care of others if you don't take care of yourself. I wish him nothing but the best and I hope he proves a lot of people wrong. He was loyal to the logo while others spit on by turning their back on the city during the down years.

Advertisement
Barry Jackson not wrong though.
eh partly. If he was gonna continue as the third string RB then going to the league was the right move. Lots of but ifs.
Not trying to be a **** but, you don't see what's wrong with what you said?
I know I said if before
Fair enough. I just don't agree with the logic that if a player can't get minutes in college, he should leave for the pros. Seems contradictory to me but oh well.

Yearby will play for that secobd contract, dawg need cash now, I dont blame him for leaving early. When you have kids, its a whole different thought process.

Yearby is gonna need all the motivation in the world to earn a living in the NFL. So, he can include me in his list of doubters.

He doesn't have an NFL contract. He's NOT an undrafted free agent, where the team is compensating him to be on their roster.

His agent called in a favor, and he's getting a tryout. For Standish Dobard, that's a great deal. He doesn't have college eligibility left.

But for Yearby, that's a terrible decision, IMO.

Yearby will play for that secobd contract, dawg need cash now, I dont blame him for leaving early. When you have kids, its a whole different thought process.

Ho could've and should've waited another year whether it was at the U or somewhere like USF, FIU, etc.. Doing what he did was like saying I'm going to take the 5K in my savings and buy a **** ton of lottery tickets. Very short sighted IMO. A degree will go a long way in your career and being able to support your kids whether you make it in the league or not.

Advertisement
He can still attend UM for free, so he's good.

Miami allows former athletes to return to finish there degree, IICR.

Listen I get why Yearby left, he was losing carries and has kids to feed and another year of school wasn't going to make him faster. Wish the kid all the best and hope he can make a team and collect that NFL money.

Richt has also shown in the past that he will help former players with careers after football so I'm certain he will have the full support of the U family if the NFL doesnt work out.

I get the whole Mike James thing. But Mike was 5'10, 217, and ran a 4.53 at pro day, reps. Yearby ran a 4.73, hand time, so you know that would have been 4.8, 4.9 Electronically, and he was only like 200 too. I'm rooting for Yearby, but Barry is right. He should have came back. He made a knee jerk reaction, and he was super in his feelings about not starting. I hope he catches on in the league, he's needs to get faster, cause just being quick ain't going to do it on that level.

Also, I get he needs to feed his family, but at the same time, he made the decision to go in raw. There were way bigger things in play than having kids while on a full ride at a P5 school. Both him and Kaaya should had came back, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yes, Miami allows former players to return to school to finish their degree for free. However, there's a big difference between getting free tuition and attending school on a full athletic scholarship. While on scholarship, you get free housing, books, food, clothing and tutors. When you're coming back to finish your degree, you have to pay for all of those things out of your own pocket. If Yearby couldn't support his family while getting all that stuff for free, how would he be able to support his family while having to pay for all of that?

Bad decision without a doubt, though I still think yearby has a shot at sticking in the league. With all the RB injuries every year, he might eventually get a shot and slow or not he can pick up yards consistently. His vision, short burst and feet are quite elite.

Look, plenty of players at UM have had kids, stretching back decades. This is not new, this is not unusual. Furthermore, ANY student at UM who has a kid can apply for additional financial aid. Now, the amount will not be much, but it is a start. ****, if you want to be honest, it's fairly common for students to take extra food, fruit, whatever, out of the cafeterias, not to mention the fact that an athlete is able to live off campus. I realize that may not be the preferred way to bring a kid into the world, but I have seen plenty of guys make it work over the years while I was at UM.

I respect the fact that Yearby wants to be responsible, but his BEST bet would have been to show "good decision making skills", stay in school, earn a degree, use that "second contract motivation" to improve himself NOW, get bigger, get faster, rack up more yardage, and generally prepare himself for the 2018 draft.

Honestly, the whole "I left the team because I wasn't getting carries" excuse looks HORRIBLE to the NFL. Peter King just did an in-depth report on the 49ers draft, and how they took that RB who had quit the football team, and then came back after three guys were injured, and then racked up HUGE yardage over the next 6 or 7 games. And even with all of that, the 49ers DIDN'T have the kid on their board, and only REVERSED that decision after talking with the kid and finding out the specifics of why he left the team (his little sister had gotten sick while he fell asleep and he blamed himself for her death, which eventually led him to mental health problems).

I'm just not sure why people can't see Joe Yearby through an NFL team's eyes. Sure, I empathize with his struggle, he has kids, he lost carries, he might as well get paid as quickly as he can. But this is the same faulty logic that leads LOTS of guys to make unrealistic decisions about their draft prospects. At least it is not as bad as that high school basketball player who declared for the NBA draft because God (actually, his minister) told him that he would be taken in the lottery, and then he wasn't drafted at all, and couldn't even get a tryout.

And, who knows, maybe Yearby would NOT have been drafted next year too. But he would have a degree, he might have had a good senior season, he might have been invited to the combine, and he might have been given an UFA contract. Instead, he has a TRYOUT (not a contract) and is highly unlikely to make the team. Not because of ability, sure he might be super-motivated, but NFL teams have a much bigger vested interest in seeing how their DRAFTED players develop in camp, rather than giving those reps to a guy who came in on a TRYOUT. That's just NFL reality, with fewer days of training camp, fewer exhibition games, and earlier cutdown dates.

Advertisement
I'll get begged for this but Yearby's mistake was having two kids at a very young age while still trying to figure out his life. I'm sure that situation made him feel as he had no other choice but to declare and at least try to make a quick couple of thousands and alleviate some of the pressure.

Richt made it clear that he wasn't getting many touches. I think him transferring to a USF or Houston type program and biting the bullet for another two years would have greatly benefited him more in the long run. It's a hard choice but he would have gotten a degree and two more years of free room and board.

You can't take care of others if you don't take care of yourself. I wish him nothing but the best and I hope he proves a lot of people wrong. He was loyal to the logo while others spit on by turning their back on the city during the down years.

Good observation. I liked Yearby as a player. He was a good complementary back to Duke and to Walton, but that's all he was. Another part of Yearby's game that no one seems to mention, is that he might have already peaked. He didn't seem to get better from his 1st year. Most rookies in the NFL are prospects. What's the prospect going to be like in 2- 3 years? Take Trent Richardson as an example. Superhuman in high school, great in college, but in the pro's he couldn't run over anybody when you are going against the best of the best, and he didn't have other tools in the box.

Same with Yearby. He just never got better than he was when he was in high school, and when only the best high school players get to college, you are going against a completely different level of competition at the D-1 level. When you get to the pro's it's exponentially tougher, which is why college superstars get to the pro's and are JAG's.

You have to be an exceptional player or have extraordinary potential to even make a pro roster, and the cold reality is that Yearby is neither.

Look, plenty of players at UM have had kids, stretching back decades. This is not new, this is not unusual. Furthermore, ANY student at UM who has a kid can apply for additional financial aid. \

Exactly. College kids having kids of their own is nothing new. If Joe felt it was in his best interests to leave school early, that's his own decision to make. Just let it be known that there's other options for guys who may be struggling financially.

I'm about to crack open this Ciroc bottle... Be back in a minute to dish out my two cents...

Yes, Miami allows former players to return to school to finish their degree for free. However, there's a big difference between getting free tuition and attending school on a full athletic scholarship. While on scholarship, you get free housing, books, food, clothing and tutors. When you're coming back to finish your degree, you have to pay for all of those things out of your own pocket. If Yearby couldn't support his family while getting all that stuff for free, how would he be able to support his family while having to pay for all of that?

Step into the 21st century, bro.

1. Yearby is from Miami; he can live and eat at home, and then commute to campus --he doesn't need housing. He'd also have the bandwidth to get a job to earn some cash while going to school. He played football and maintained his studies (football is like a full time job in college), so you already know he has the disciple to do it.

2. EVERY college/University in America offers tutoring to students, athlete or no athlete

3. Books are super easy and cheap to get nowadays. The used book market is booming, you can get books from Amazon or you can do what other broke college kids do---borrow books from friends.

4. See #1 . Yearby wasn't able to support his family while be a student and football player, because you don't have time to work as a student athlete (football is a full time job in itself), and in many instances the NCAA forebodes football players from working.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back