#BarryJackson

Personally, I just think the staff mishandled the Yearby situation. The staff basically forced him out. Essentially, they benched Yearby in favor of Gus Edwards who has never shown much of anything.

Yearby on the other hand was the best player on the field on many occasions. No knock on Walton but Yearby put up the same stats as a starter but while Walton got praised Yearby was benched.

This or possibly the kid was in he dog house for another reason. Statistically the kid was just as good as Walton, and considerably better than freaking Gus.
Yep. The party line seems to be "Gus was a better blocker". In any event, Yearby was the odd man out.

Advertisement
Yearb's blocking was never an issue. I have no idea how that became a thing.

I thin he was probably leaving no matter what. So was Gus.

Personally, I just think the staff mishandled the Yearby situation. The staff basically forced him out. Essentially, they benched Yearby in favor of Gus Edwards who has never shown much of anything.

Yearby on the other hand was the best player on the field on many occasions. No knock on Walton but Yearby put up the same stats as a starter but while Walton got praised Yearby was benched.

Or they knew Yearby was leaving and wanted to try to entice Gus to stay. Everyone knew Yearby family situation and desire to earn $

This or possibly the kid was in he dog house for another reason. Statistically the kid was just as good as Walton, and considerably better than freaking Gus.

Seems like Yearby suddenly fell out of favor doesn't it? He's not a great RB, but he always put up better numbers than Walton so he wasn't terrible. Could have helped this year, but he seems like another guy that Rick didn't try all that hard to persuade to come back.

Yearb's blocking was never an issue. I have no idea how that became a thing.

I thin he was probably leaving no matter what. So was Gus.

Yearby being a bad blocker became CIS fact suddenly around the midpoint of last season.

Advertisement

Or they knew Yearby was leaving and wanted to try to entice Gus to stay. Everyone knew Yearby family situation and desire to earn $

Never understood the argument of him leaving early to start making money unless he's talking about getting a jump on a UPS job.

Yearby's poor blocking was pure alternative facts. His blocking was at least passable, and last season, it probably wouldn't have mattered much because of the 3 or 4 free defensive players ripping past our OL on any given play. I am not sure what happened with Yearby, but losing out on carries to Gus Edwards was baffling, especially with the latter transferring anyway. Maybe it was a case of Edwards being a Greentree All-American, or the desire to have a bigger back who knows. Gus was just ineffective. I understand Walton getting more carries as he does have a high ceiling, IMO, but Yearby was just a better back than Edwards, period.

Never understood the argument of him leaving early to start making money unless he's talking about getting a jump on a UPS job.

It doesn't hold water. It's just rationalizing a bad decision. Most of these kids need money, but he wasn't in a position to earn it as a professional football player yet.

IMO - This is on Richt. His devotion to Walton sort of forced the situation. I'm guessing he thought he was fine if Yearby and Gus left because he thought McFarland was a lock at that point.

Stats thru the VT game (7 games - half the season) last year.

Yearby - 73 for 493 yds - 6.75 avg - 6 TD's
Walton - 112 for 604 yds - 5.39 avg - 8 TD's

If I'm Yearby - I'm probably thinking why the f^ck am I 2nd string to a dude I averaged 1.4 ypc more than last year, and 1.3 ypc more than this year???

At this point I can:

1) Go pro
2) Come back and continue to be 2nd string, which won't help my stock
3) Transfer, but I would have to sit out a year

IMO - the only reason for Yearby to come back would be to get another free year of schooling. Coming back this year wouldn't have affected his stock.

I don't blame Yearby or Gus for leaving.

Advertisement

It doesn't hold water. It's just rationalizing a bad decision. Most of these kids need money, but he wasn't in a position to earn it as a professional football player yet.

He wasn't likely to get much playing time, and he wasn't going to develop new skills so what was the point in staying? UDFA money this year is worth more than UDFA money next year.

He wasn't likely to get much playing time, and he wasn't going to develop new skills so what was the point in staying? UDFA money this year is worth more than UDFA money next year.

How much UDFA money did he end up getting? You cannot think about these decisions in a silo. What would Joe make more money at, football or everything else he does in life? When he was given the cold, hard facts, the odds were he would have to support his family by some other means. The decision to pursue the NFL EARLY was a bad one. There is no other perspective. It was the wrong choice.

IMO - This is on Richt. His devotion to Walton sort of forced the situation. I'm guessing he thought he was fine if Yearby and Gus left because he thought McFarland was a lock at that point.

If I'm Yearby - I'm probably thinking why the f^ck am I 2nd string to a dude I averaged 1.4 ypc more than last year, and 1.3 ypc more than this year???

At this point I can:

1) Go pro

IMO - the only reason for Yearby to come back would be to get another free year of schooling. Coming back this year wouldn't have affected his stock.

WTF are you talking about?

So it's Richt's fault that Yearby gave up a free college diploma to falsely pursue an NFL gig that was never guaranteed?

Seems like terrible decision making by a young man who's responsible for a family. So its suddenly the schools' obligation for Yearby to go make millions in the league??

No, he was provided a free college degree (more than most people ever get), and he blew it. That's on him. At some point, people need to start taking responsibility for their own lives and the choices they make.

It was a bad decision, but waiting till after his senior year could've been an even worse decision (diploma not considered). Yearby wasn't getting any better and at the time it looked like Mcfarland was a lock so he was likely going to get even less carries as a senior than he did as a junior. His stock was free falling and he sold. Hope he comes back and finishes his degree.

Advertisement

At this point I can:

1) Go pro

So it's Richt's fault that Yearby gave up a free college diploma to falsely pursue an NFL gig that was never guaranteed?

Seems like terrible decision making by a young man who's responsible for a family. So its suddenly the schools' obligation for Yearby to go make millions in the league??

No, he was provided a free college degree (more than most people ever get), and he blew it. That's on him. At some point, people need to start taking responsibility for their own lives and the choices they make.

Put yourself in Yearby's shoes.

You've been dominating football since optimist. You be became a Dade county football legend as a Sophomore. All you've probably thought about becoming or wanted to be is an NFL football player.

Now you're a Junior in college. You've lost your starting spot to a RB you've consistently been better than the first half of the season and all of last season, and fell to 3rd string by the end of the season.

At the time Yearby had to decide to go pro - Gus hadn't decided to transfer, and it looked like Burns and McFarland were coming in, so there's a good chance you could fall even further than 3rd on the depth chart.

Your dream is to go to the NFL. You're 21 years old. Do you:

A) Turn pro and hope to get drafted, but if not, have a good chance at catching on as a UDFA and still have an NFL career. You know you can always go back to college for a year to get your degree. You know you have 1 shot at getting drafted.

B) Come back, knowing there's a good chance you get very little playing time and have almost no chance of getting drafted, making it much harder to even get an UDFA. You're pretty much giving up on your dream of being an NFL player, but you'll have a college degree.

What would you do?

At this point I can:

1) Go pro

Put yourself in Yearby's shoes.

You've been dominating football since optimist. You be became a Dade county football legend as a Sophomore. All you've probably thought about becoming or wanted to be is an NFL football player.

Now you're a Junior in college. You've lost your starting spot to a RB you've consistently been better than the first half of the season and all of last season, and fell to 3rd string by the end of the season.

At the time Yearby had to decide to go pro - Gus hadn't decided to transfer, and it looked like Burns and McFarland were coming in, so there's a good chance you could fall even further than 3rd on the depth chart.

Your dream is to go to the NFL. You're 21 years old. Do you:

A) Turn pro and hope to get drafted, but if not, have a good chance at catching on as a UDFA and still have an NFL career. You know you can always go back to college for a year to get your degree. You know you have 1 shot at getting drafted.

B) Come back, knowing there's a good chance you get very little playing time and have almost no chance of getting drafted, making it much harder to even get an UDFA. You're pretty much giving up on your dream of being an NFL player, but you'll have a college degree.

What would you do?

Nailed it.

Yearby is not the back Walton is. Please stop with that nonsense. His numbers were inflated because he tore it up against FAMU and FAU. He ran it 27 times for 226 yards the first two games. The rest of the season he carried 75 times for 382 yards. Although he did have a good game against North Carolina.

Both Thomas Brown and Mark Rich listed pass protection as a reason for making the switch to Gus Edwards last year. That might have been a BS excuse but that's the one they gave. I don't particularly remember Yearby getting beaten often but I'm not a coach.

Advertisement
IMO

If he thinks he's good enough to make an NFL roster, then he should have the confidence that he will be the 2nd string RB here and beat out a couple of freshmen, a sophomore who only has a couple collegiate carries, and another back who he's competed with for the last few years. If he doesn't think he's good enough to be the 2nd string RB here then how can he possibly think he's making an NFL roster? That's even more of a reason to stay and get your degree.

How much UDFA money did he end up getting? You cannot think about these decisions in a silo. What would Joe make more money at, football or everything else he does in life? When he was given the cold, hard facts, the odds were he would have to support his family by some other means. The decision to pursue the NFL EARLY was a bad one. There is no other perspective. It was the wrong choice.

Obviously there is.

Geezus Yearby is not better than Walton. Some of you just need to drop it and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe, try out for the Chiefs. Ware and West are average at best and we grabbed a 3rd rounder from Akron. Good chance to make the roster.

Advertisement
Back