#BarryJackson

Yearby is not the back Walton is. Please stop with that nonsense. His numbers were inflated because he tore it up against FAMU and FAU. He ran it 27 times for 226 yards the first two games. The rest of the season he carried 75 times for 382 yards. Although he did have a good game against North Carolina.

Both Thomas Brown and Mark Rich listed pass protection as a reason for making the switch to Gus Edwards last year. That might have been a BS excuse but that's the one they gave. I don't particularly remember Yearby getting beaten often but I'm not a coach.

Here's what drives me nuts about Walton defenders.

So take out the FAMU & FAU games and here's their stats for the rest of the season:

Yearby - 75 for 382 yds - 5.09 ypc - 4 TD's (a TD every 18.75 carries)
Walton - 177 for 846 yds - 4.77 ypc - 9 TD's (a TD every 19.66 carries)

So how does this make Walton better???

And who was the better RB in the GT, FSU, UNC, and VT games - Yearby or Walton?

These arguments just make no sense to me.....
I always thought yearby was better and always wondered why Richt wouldn't play him more. Not knowing any of the stats I remember asking why Richt took yearby out when he was gaining more yards than Walton was.

I dont know the circumstances as to why yearby didn't start but I do understand why he left. Would have been nice if he and Richt came to an understanding and he stayed one more year.

I agree with you, and thought the RB rotation was weird all year long.

My personal reading between the lines take is:

Walton - This is Richt's guy. Richt recruited him hard at Georgia. Walton took his final recruiting visit to Georgia. This is who Richt likes, and is comfortable with. So Richt decided he was sticking with Walton no matter what, even when Walton struggled running the ball through the 5 games in October.

Yearby - Was Richt's clear #2 all year. When Yearby outplayed Walton in October but never saw his carries increase, he realized he was never going to jump Walton in the depth chart. Yearby probably pretty much decided he was going pro somewhere in late October.

Gus - Really only started getting carries in the Pitt game in November. At that point - the team was 4-4, Yearby's going pro, and Gus is thinking about transferring because he's not getting any carries. So with Yearby already gone and the season shot - better to give the 2nd string carries to Gus in hopes it appeases him to stay for his Senior year. But it was already too late, and a frustrated Yearby & Gus had pretty much already made up their mind.

My personal reading:

Walton: Is the better back. Richt saw it in practice, and made him the starter.

Yearby: Was always on a 3-year plan to declare. Sees himself as just as good, if not better, than Cook. So, if Cook can leave early, so can he. Plus, the ONLY reason he came to Miami is now coaching at UGA.

Gus: Yearby was listening to people like [MENTION=1107]bshaw28[/MENTION] (lol - just jokes), and got mad about not getting the carries he needed to declare. Staff didn't take his pouting, and gave Gus more work. Gus, knowing he could be a grad transfer, decided he didn't want to be 2nd team ... And could go someplace else and start.

And that last point with Gus is why I don't understand Yearby's decision. Sit out a season, and go to UCF or FIU or FAU or Georgia Southern. Or don't sit out, and play at Bethune or FAMU. Put up stats, and then declare, if you believe in yourself that much.

Advertisement
I get that you have a preference and opinion. No knock from me on that.

But it's hard for me to receive an argument in support of Yearby because of YPC stats, but then you dismiss the stats that suggest Walton is better.

Walton had the better season as a feature back ... More yards, more TDs, higher YPC. Walton also has the higher pro ceiling, in most everyone's opinion ... Even if that's "NFL journeyman running back" versus CFL or arena league player.

I'm one of the people who believes there is a pretty big gap between Walton and Yearby. Not saying I think Walton is elite today, but I think he still has room to touch his ceiling. And, IMO, I think Yearby maxed out who he could be as a player ... With his best not being as good as Walton is currently, IMO.

... And Walton still has room for growth/improvement.

This season will give us all a more clear picture of who Walton is as a college runner and pro prospect. We need him to be better than you believe him to be for us to reach expectations.

And maybe that hope/need is clouding perspectives?

But maybe your vision is holding on a little too closely to Walton's first season?

Coming into the 2016 season, I was not on the Mark Walton band wagon at all. I thought Joe Yearby outplayed him in 2015 and was more consistent. During the 2016 season, I saw Walton do things that Yearby just plain couldn't do. Or at least hadn't shown in three years here. If Walton makes another jump in improvement from 2016-17 like he did from 2105-16, he'll be one of the top backs in the nation. He's shown that he gets better with experience and he hasn't maxed out his ability yet.

The only game you could say that Yearby out performed Walton out of those four would be UNC.

The second half of the season, Walton dominated.

Pitt - 14 for 125
UVA - 16 for 111
NCSt - 19 for 120
Duke - 13 for 60

But yeah, you guys are right. Yearby is clearly the better player and the coaching staff was purposely playing the worse player.

And every single NFL GM and scout cant' see it either.

Joe Yearby has a lot in common with Brad Kaaya. Both are good players. Both never really got better in college. Both are limited phisically except teams can work around a slow quarterback. It's tough to justify giving a little guy with no break away speed more than 5-10 carries a game in college.

You do realize the UNC game is the only one where Walton actually gained more yards than Yearby, right?

GT
Yearby - 9-65, 7.2 ypc
Walton - 15-44, 2.9 ypc

FSU
Yearby - 10-39, 3.2 ypc
Walton - 14-39, 2.8 ypc

UNC
Yearby - 10-74, 7.4 ypc
Walton - 24-82, 3.4 ypc

VT
Yearby - 9-59, 6.6 ypc
Walton - 11-38, 3.5 ypc

Yearby gained 34 more yards on 26 less carries. Walton's longest run in these 4 games was 14 yds. Yearby had a 25+ yd run in 3 of those 4 games.

For your "Dominated the 2nd Half of the Season", you left off WVU - 17 for 52. So his last 2 games he went 30 for 112. So I'd argue he played great for 3 games, no question, but didn't "dominate" all of those games, and was just average in the last 2.

For your statement - It's tough to justify giving a little guy with no break away speed more than 5-10 carries a game in college. - I couldn't agree with you more!

Yearby = 5'9" 200, runs a 4.7
Walton = 5'9" 205, runs a 4.6

Neither of those guys should be what we expect as a workhorse RB at Miami. Both are similar talents, and both of their talent levels should be what we want in a backup/2nd string, not a starter.

We get it.

At minimum, you think they're even.

At most, you believe Yearby is better.

Fact is, Richt disagreed with you. Richt believes Walton to be the better back.

Fact is, Yearby didn't get drafted, wasn't signed as an UFA, and didn't make a 90-man roster after getting an invite to a team that has an abysmal situation at running back. So, if Walton gets drafted next year, gets signed as an UFA, or makes a 90-man roster, then the NFL will also believe he is the better back.

At what point will you acknowledge the folks paid to make these decisions might have better insight on this topic, than just taking a look at YPC?

NO QUESTION Richt & the staff have are ridiculously smarter than me, and way have better insight - I'd never argue against that.

I'm just a random fan with an opinion - like 95% of the posters on this board.

But ask yourself this - Do you agree with every decision made on offense this year? Does any fan on here just say to themselves "Richt knows more than me" and go along with everything Richt decides?

Richt preferred Walton. I would've preferred Yearby. I think they're similar, and it's a close call. My problem is when people act like the gap between Walton and Yearby is huge, so I make points that argue otherwise.

Richt preferred Berrios as a PR. I would've preferred Coley or Elder. I don't think either Richt or myself are wrong - it's just a preference.

Jarret Payton, Tyrone Moss, Damien Berry, Graig Cooper, Javarris James, Mike James - I'd say all were similar talents. Now some played a couple years in the NFL, some never did.

I'd lump Yearby & Walton in that group talent-wise. I think all are NFL journeyman at best. But I don't think JJ playing a couple years in the NFL necessarily makes him a better RB than Cooper. I think NFL journeyman is Walton's ceiling, but don't think that necessarily means he's the better RB than Yearby if he never plays a down in the NFL. It's a close call on all of those RB's - and just a preference on who you prefer IMO.

I get that you have a preference and opinion. No knock from me on that.

But it's hard for me to receive an argument in support of Yearby because of YPC stats, but then you dismiss the stats that suggest Walton is better.

Walton had the better season as a feature back ... More yards, more TDs, higher YPC. Walton also has the higher pro ceiling, in most everyone's opinion ... Even if that's "NFL journeyman running back" versus CFL or arena league player.

I'm one of the people who believes there is a pretty big gap between Walton and Yearby. Not saying I think Walton is elite today, but I think he still has room to touch his ceiling. And, IMO, I think Yearby maxed out who he could be as a player ... With his best not being as good as Walton is currently, IMO.

... And Walton still has room for growth/improvement.

This season will give us all a more clear picture of who Walton is as a college runner and pro prospect. We need him to be better than you believe him to be for us to reach expectations.

And maybe that hope/need is clouding perspectives?

But maybe your vision is holding on a little too closely to Walton's first season?

I agree with you, and the main points are:

1) I think Walton's ceiling is lower than what you most think it is, and that's the main disagreement.

I think for Walton to have a great year this year - Walton has to improve while Homer, Choc, etc. don't improve to the point where they eat into Walton's carries. The OL play has to get better. the Play calling has to get better. Perry/Herndon/Thomas have to be enough of a threat and play as well as Kaaya/NJoku/Coley to keep defenses honest and not stack the box, and keep drives alive.

I can see some of those things happening - but I think it's overly wishful to think all of it's going to happen.

For Walton's NFL prospects - he's 5'9" 205, and runs a 4.6. That's small and slow by NFL standards. No matter how much his vision or stats improve, his physical/athletic traits can't really get much better, so even with a great year his NFL potential is limited. Not saying small & slow RB's can't make it, but it's very rare.

2) The YPC argument

Totally agree that Walton's 2016 5.3 ypc is better than Yearby's 4.9 ypc, but I don't think that's the best comparison.

2015 - Yearby vs. Walton = 4.9 ypc vs. 3.5 ypc
2016 - Yearby vs. Walton = 6.0 ypc vs. 5.3 ypc

2015 - Golden was Head Coach, Coley was OC, OL was young
2016 - Richt is Head Coach/OC, and the OL was 1 year older & better

You'd expect an improvement based on the coaching alone. Walton's 1.8 ypc always cited as a reason for his showing improvement. But Yearby's ypc improved 1.1 yds. Do you think Yearby was significantly better in 2016 than he was in 2015? His ypc went up over a yard, which is a pretty big leap. Shouldn't the same logic being applied to Walton be applied to Yearby?

When it was a constant - same year, same team, same coaches, same offense - Yearby's ypc was 1.4 yds better in 2015, and 0.7 yds better in 2016. To me, how RB's perform in the same year is a better/more accurate comparison. And Yearby's ypc was significantly better in both years.

Walton's 3.5 ypc in 2016 was really, really bad while his 5.3 ypc in 2016 was just average.

I can understand that maybe I'm holding on to his Freshman year too much. But I haven't heard what I think is a good argument for dismissing his entire Freshman year like it didn't happen, and dismissing the 5 straight games in October this year where he averaged 3.5 or less in all of them.

Me personally - I see an average back who had a couple great games. He can put a big game here and there, but I just can't dismiss all the games where he hasn't played well, because there's too many of those.

How Walton played in the Pitt & NC St. games this year just aren't enough to make me forget how he played in the GT, FSU, UNC, VT, ND, and WVU games.

Last edited:
Where are people coming up with the fallacious idea that Walton is so far superior to Yearby AS A COLLEGE RB that it's somehow ludicrous for bshaw to like Yearby better? Bshaw hung those numbers up there for you.

It's not like Walton dominated either. He had a nice 3 game stretch, but we don't know if Yearby would have been even better during that 3 game stretch because he didn't play much.

Lots of people anointing Walton on here. He's a nice RB with excellent pass catching ability. Lacks game breaking speed and was less of an instinctual runner than Yearby. Does everything else well - pass pro, catches, leads on the field, etc. He's a real nice player but not a game breaker.

Advertisement
Lots of people anointing Walton on here. He's a nice RB with excellent pass catching ability. Lacks game breaking speed and was less of an instinctual runner than Yearby. Does everything else well - pass pro, catches, leads on the field, etc. He's a real nice player but not a game breaker.

Good player. Great energy. Great guy to have on the team. He's Mike James Jr.

Where are people coming up with the fallacious idea that Walton is so far superior to Yearby AS A COLLEGE RB that it's somehow ludicrous for bshaw to like Yearby better? Bshaw hung those numbers up there for you.

It's not like Walton dominated either. He had a nice 3 game stretch, but we don't know if Yearby would have been even better during that 3 game stretch because he didn't play much.

Probably the fact that Walton:

- Was the starter over Yearby
- Had the better season as the feature back
- Has the longest career rush
- Has the better measurables
- Has more versatility (receiving and blocking and special teams)

It took Yearby all 13 games to get his 1,000 yard season. As [MENTION=1107]bshaw28[/MENTION] has pointed out, Walton didn't put up big stats in his final 2 games. So, Walton got his 1,000 in 11 games. Walton actually had more yards in 11 games than Yearby had in 13. That would suggest he's far superior.

Also ... Please show me the game where Yearby "wore the defense down". Show me the run where he "punished the defender". Yearby is a scat back, without elite level speed. Yearby needs to be the faster guy to have the advantage over Walton, and he isn't.

And the ypc stats are meaningless. Homer averaged 6.3 ypc last season ... Maybe he should have been the number 1 guy?

I also think it's important to remember Walton ended up being the short-yardage/goal-line back for this team during his 1st year. It helped his TD numbers, but it also hurt his ypc numbers.

Last edited:

Probably the fact that Walton:

- Was the starter over Yearby
- Had the better season as the feature back
- Has the longest career rush
- Has the better measurables
- Has more versatility (receiving and blocking and special teams)

It took Yearby all 13 games to get his 1,000 yard season. As [MENTION=1107]bshaw28[/MENTION] has pointed out, Walton didn't put up big stats in his final 2 games. So, Walton got his 1,000 in 11 games. Walton actually had more yards in 11 games than Yearby had in 13. That would suggest he's far superior.

Also ... Please show me the game where Yearby "wore the defense down". Show me the run where he "punished the defender". Yearby is a scat back, without elite level speed. Yearby needs to be the faster guy to have the advantage over Walton, and he isn't.

And the ypc stats are meaningless. Homer averaged 6.3 ypc last season ... Maybe he should have been the number 1 guy?

I also think it's important to remember Walton ended up being the short-yardage/goal-line back for this team during his 1st year. It helped his TD numbers, but it also hurt his ypc numbers.

When you start your argument with "Walton was the starter over Yearby" you immediately lose all credibility.

Yearby was the starter over Cuck.

Dyral McMillan was the starter over Edgerrin James.

Ivan Mercer was the starter over Jeremy Shockey.

Wally Pip was the starter over Lou Gehrig.

Get the picture?

Yearby was a good runner. Walton is the better overall back and does everything right. Yearby refused to pass protect and that is why he was on the bench. Same with Homer. Richt wants complete backs. YPC is only part of the puzzle.

When did this happen? People keep saying this but I've seen no proof.

I can't remember the exact play but it is definitely the reason why. I have read it multiple times. It is not a coincidence that we started pass protecting better after Yearby was on the field less and his carries went way down.

I haven't seen any evidence, just people saying it's true because other people said it's true. And none of those people appear to be coaches or players.

Advertisement
The line sucked for both so it's hard to tell.. However, Walton has the game-breaking ability to do things most backs (including Joe) cant with his strength and elite balance. Just look at some of the runs that were called back. Problem is people looking at the numbers and arguing about talent. The production between the two may be close but talent isn't anywhere near.

Yearby was a good runner. Walton is the better overall back and does everything right. Yearby refused to pass protect and that is why he was on the bench. Same with Homer. Richt wants complete backs. YPC is only part of the puzzle.

I can't remember the exact play but it is definitely the reason why. I have read it multiple times. It is not a coincidence that we started pass protecting better after Yearby was on the field less and his carries went way down.

I haven't seen any evidence, just people saying it's true because other people said it's true. And none of those people appear to be coaches or players.

It almost has to be true . YPC is roughly the same. Both could catch the ball well and neither fumbled very often. The difference has to be pass protection. With Homer it is pass protection and ball protecting issues. If that's not it, why do you think Richt wouldn't play him?

It almost has to be true . YPC is roughly the same. Both could catch the ball well and neither fumbled very often. The difference has to be pass protection. With Homer it is pass protection and ball protecting issues. If that's not it, why do you think Richt wouldn't play him?

I don't have a better explanation, but that doesn't make blocking the answer. I never noticed Yearby being a bad blocker, so I think this story persists solely because nobody can think of a better explanation. Whatever the case, Yearby seems to have been convinced he wasn't getting much PT this year, and I find it hard to disagree.

Advertisement
The kid was in a tough place and decisions need to be made, but I hope he can go back and get his education sooner rather then later if football isn't for him. Even the most hood of parents tell their kids to make sure they get their degree because **** like this happens.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back