#BarryJackson

Yes, Miami allows former players to return to school to finish their degree for free. However, there's a big difference between getting free tuition and attending school on a full athletic scholarship. While on scholarship, you get free housing, books, food, clothing and tutors. When you're coming back to finish your degree, you have to pay for all of those things out of your own pocket. If Yearby couldn't support his family while getting all that stuff for free, how would he be able to support his family while having to pay for all of that?

Step into the 21st century, bro.

1. Yearby is from Miami; he can live and eat at home, and then commute to campus --he doesn't need housing. He'd also have the bandwidth to get a job to earn some cash while going to school. He played football and maintained his studies (football is like a full time job in college), so you already know he has the disciple to do it.

I thought the whole reason he left early was because his family couldn't afford to help him out?

2. EVERY college/University in America offers tutoring to students, athlete or no athlete

Yes, but they're usually in group sessions and times are up to the discretion of the tutor. One on one tutoring costs money. Nobody does that for free. The tutors the athletic department uses are paid.

3. Books are super easy and cheap to get nowadays. The used book market is booming, you can get books from Amazon or you can do what other broke college kids do---borrow books from friends.

You're telling me to step into the 21 century? You must not have been enrolled in any university in at least twenty years. New books often run hundreds of dollars and the used book market is worthless because professors change textbooks almost every semester. Just because your buddy used textbook X for a class doesn't mean that the same professor will be using text book X for that same class next semester. The book racket is a huge money maker for schools and professors.

4. See #1 . Yearby wasn't able to support his family while be a student and football player, because you don't have time to work as a student athlete (football is a full time job in itself), and in many instances the NCAA forebodes football players from working.

Advertisement
Yes, Miami allows former players to return to school to finish their degree for free. However, there's a big difference between getting free tuition and attending school on a full athletic scholarship. While on scholarship, you get free housing, books, food, clothing and tutors. When you're coming back to finish your degree, you have to pay for all of those things out of your own pocket. If Yearby couldn't support his family while getting all that stuff for free, how would he be able to support his family while having to pay for all of that?

1. Yearby is from Miami; he can live and eat at home, and then commute to campus --he doesn't need housing. He'd also have the bandwidth to get a job to earn some cash while going to school. He played football and maintained his studies (football is like a full time job in college), so you already know he has the disciple to do it.

I thought the whole reason he left early was because his family couldn't afford to help him out?

2. EVERY college/University in America offers tutoring to students, athlete or no athlete

Yes, but they're usually in group sessions and times are up to the discretion of the tutor. One on one tutoring costs money. Nobody does that for free. The tutors the athletic department uses are paid.

3. Books are super easy and cheap to get nowadays. The used book market is booming, you can get books from Amazon or you can do what other broke college kids do---borrow books from friends.

You're telling me to step into the 21 century? You must not have been enrolled in any university in at least twenty years. New books often run hundreds of dollars and the used book market is worthless because professors change textbooks almost every semester. Just because your buddy used textbook X for a class doesn't mean that the same professor will be using text book X for that same class next semester. The book racket is a huge money maker for schools and professors.

4. See #1 . Yearby wasn't able to support his family while be a student and football player, because you don't have time to work as a student athlete (football is a full time job in itself), and in many instances the NCAA forebodes football players from working.

1. Look, it's not a binary thing. It's not "football or his family will die of starvation". His family has figured out a way to survive all these years without an NFL salary and with Yearby being a student athlete, and they'll continue to figure it out. If Yearby wants to finish his degree he can easily do it, and he could find a job like millions of others students that work and continue to pursue their degree.

2. That is not true. Campuses have many tutors available for students, and you can easily get campus sponsored one on one sessions that are FREE. I am a TA, AND I tutor undergrads---one of one sessions, and it's free

3. I'm not just talking about my rear or trying to be a smartass, but I know this stuff, bro. I currently have two degrees (finished the first master 4 years ago), and I am currently in school, working on a third --a second masters degree - and I will be finished next May. I am working while I finish this degree, and I worked all throughout my first masters, so, I'd say I have a very good idea of how this education thing works (cost of books, working while in school, and ways around spending hundred on books, tutors, etc). I paid about $120 per semester for books during my first masters, because I bought tons of used books, I rented books (you can rent books now for a fraction of the costs), borrowed books, and in some cases, you might not even need the book (some profs post PDF's online/blackboard or on student portals). For this masters degree, I am averaging about $140 per semester and I am using the same strategy as before.

If you're a fool you might spend a lot more on books, because you don't know how to work the system, but there are all kinds of ways/tricks to get around not having to break the bank on books, and just about every student that's been on a college campus longer than a single semester know them.

Last edited:
I'll get begged for this but Yearby's mistake was having two kids at a very young age while still trying to figure out his life. I'm sure that situation made him feel as he had no other choice but to declare and at least try to make a quick couple of thousands and alleviate some of the pressure.

Richt made it clear that he wasn't getting many touches. I think him transferring to a USF or Houston type program and biting the bullet for another two years would have greatly benefited him more in the long run. It's a hard choice but he would have gotten a degree and two more years of free room and board.

You can't take care of others if you don't take care of yourself. I wish him nothing but the best and I hope he proves a lot of people wrong. He was loyal to the logo while others spit on by turning their back on the city during the down years.

You sound like you know wtf he got going on in his life??? are his kids homeless or some ****? update me so i'll know.

It's a gamble anyway he chooses, he could've transferred to another school played blew out his knee career over, or he can take a quick 5-10K or whatever the amount is just to try out and if he makes a team he's getting 450K plus guaranteed. It's a win win for him by leaving instead of waiting another year broke while still risking an injury that could keep him out of the NFL.

You act like he's crying making the decisions he's making.... he knows what he wants to do and believes in his ability to get it done.

Advertisement
I'll get begged for this but Yearby's mistake was having two kids at a very young age while still trying to figure out his life. I'm sure that situation made him feel as he had no other choice but to declare and at least try to make a quick couple of thousands and alleviate some of the pressure.

Richt made it clear that he wasn't getting many touches. I think him transferring to a USF or Houston type program and biting the bullet for another two years would have greatly benefited him more in the long run. It's a hard choice but he would have gotten a degree and two more years of free room and board.

You can't take care of others if you don't take care of yourself. I wish him nothing but the best and I hope he proves a lot of people wrong. He was loyal to the logo while others spit on by turning their back on the city during the down years.

You sound like you know wtf he got going on in his life??? are his kids homeless or some ****? update me so i'll know.

It's a gamble anyway he chooses, he could've transferred to another school played blew out his knee career over, or he can take a quick 5-10K or whatever the amount is just to try out and if he makes a team he's getting 450K plus guaranteed. It's a win win for him by leaving instead of waiting another year broke while still risking an injury that could keep him out of the NFL.

You act like he's crying making the decisions he's making.... he knows what he wants to do and believes in his ability to get it done.

LOL

Yearby will make someones practice squad at the very least..... He has elite feet and vision, he catches everything and blocks very well...that's valuable in the NFL and the CFL and both those organizations pay well...best of luck to Yearby

Barry Jackson not wrong though.
eh partly. If he was gonna continue as the third string RB then going to the league was the right move. Lots of but ifs.
Not trying to be a **** but, you don't see what's wrong with what you said?
I know I said if before
Fair enough. I just don't agree with the logic that if a player can't get minutes in college, he should leave for the pros. Seems contradictory to me but oh well.

I get that. It's just that Yearby is a special case because he has two kids so that might change things up for him. I personally would have liked him to stay bc it doesn't sound like Homer is doing anything this spring that would out do Yearby but whatever that's his choice

1. Look, it's not a binary thing. It's not "football or his family will die of starvation". His family has figured out a way to survive all these years without an NFL salary and with Yearby being a student athlete, and they'll continue to figure it out. If Yearby wants to finish his degree he can easily do it, and he could find a job like millions of others students that work and continue to pursue their degree.

2. That is not true. Campuses have many tutors available for students, and you can easily get campus sponsored one on one sessions that are FREE. I am a TA, AND I tutor undergrads---one of one sessions, and it's free

3. I'm not just talking about my rear or trying to be a smartass, but I know this stuff, bro. I currently have two degrees (finished the first master 4 years ago), and I am currently in school, working on a third --a second masters degree - and I will be finished next May. I am working while I finish this degree, and I worked all throughout my first masters, so, I'd say I have a very good idea of how this education thing works (cost of books, working while in school, and ways around spending hundred on books, tutors, etc). I paid about $120 per semester for books during my first masters, because I bought tons of used books, I rented books (you can rent books now for a fraction of the costs), borrowed books, and in some cases, you might not even need the book (some profs post PDF's online/blackboard or on student portals). For this masters degree, I am averaging about $140 per semester and I am using the same strategy as before.

If you're a fool you might spend a lot more on books, because you don't know how to work the system, but there are all kinds of ways/tricks to get around not having to break the bank on books, and just about every student that's been on a college campus longer than a single semester know them.

always amazing how many people actually buy the correct version of the book for every class. I was in engineering though, so its probably a little different as the books are very important. but still, you can find 90% of the books for free just by putting "free pdf" after the name. yet, id say almost all my classmates had the physical book which cost minimum of like 200new. but if you're a football player you used to get literally every book you needed for free. so he doesn't have the same experience of find the free pdf, older version etc. Think back to your frosh yr, did you buy the books? bet you did. this will be like that.

Advertisement
I wish him well because he is a Cane however he never get any better than his Freshman year
- In fact, I think he never got any better than his Hype coming out of High School
- I think he hit his ceiling in High School and he either didnt want to do the work to take the next step or he wasnt as good as advertised

My guess is he will be coaching in a few years at the High school level and I wish him well

According to ProCanes Twitter; Yearby didn't make the Niners.

Someone else will have to link the tweet if y'all need something official.

Advertisement
Joseph Yearby is talented enough to make a team.... Somebody said if Mike James can make the NFL so can Joe Yearby, no knock on Mike James as a rb, but I agree bc Joe Yearby is way more talented with the ball in his hands than Mike James.

I agree but Mike James is in the NFL because of special teams and overall dependability as an inside runner, receiver and pass protector. Not because he's a dynamic talent with the ball in his hands.

Joseph Yearby is talented enough to make a team.... Somebody said if Mike James can make the NFL so can Joe Yearby, no knock on Mike James as a rb, but I agree bc Joe Yearby is way more talented with the ball in his hands than Mike James.

My old high school football coach at Hialeah used to tell us everytime we'd get crushed by, then powerhouses like Killian and Jackson, that we made up for being small by being slow. That's Joe Yearby at the NFL level. He's both small and slow. Yearby could use his quickness in limited space to his advantage in College. But in the NFL, a less talented but bigger back, Mike James, made a nice little living for himself for 3-4 years. Wish Joe Yearby the best.

Advertisement
Don't think Richt would have had a choice but to run JY as 2nd team , doghouse or not ,cause it seems Homer might not be what everyone thought he was or as of yet hasn't shown it...I know sitting at 3rd team is tough but the real world and the NFL are a lot tougher...

had he gotten carries or not,and I think he'd have gotten a lot of run,that degree from the U of M is VERY valuable especially to a young man that has marginal skills when it comes to the league and has two Little mouths to feed.

I think,and it's my opinion only,that the kid should have stayed and done what was necessary to get out of the doghouse,if that is true,and get back on the field.He would have gotten plenty of run and would have been one play at any time away from being the starter.

Just another example of kids leaving early thinking the pro league is just taking everyone and handing out money to everyone no matter their talent.

Yeah because giving him a few carries in meaningless spring games with the second team OL proves he's not ready.

GTFOH Dam we have some really clueless fans.

Personally, I just think the staff mishandled the Yearby situation. The staff basically forced him out. Essentially, they benched Yearby in favor of Gus Edwards who has never shown much of anything.

Yearby on the other hand was the best player on the field on many occasions. No knock on Walton but Yearby put up the same stats as a starter but while Walton got praised Yearby was benched.

According to ProCanes Twitter; Yearby didn't make the Niners.

Someone else will have to link the tweet if y'all need something official.

Too bad, wish him the best, a college degree would probably help

Personally, I just think the staff mishandled the Yearby situation. The staff basically forced him out. Essentially, they benched Yearby in favor of Gus Edwards who has never shown much of anything.

Yearby on the other hand was the best player on the field on many occasions. No knock on Walton but Yearby put up the same stats as a starter but while Walton got praised Yearby was benched.

This or possibly the kid was in he dog house for another reason. Statistically the kid was just as good as Walton, and considerably better than freaking Gus.

Advertisement
Back