Barry Jackson says Butch is a fallback option

### As for the coaching search, it's still in the early stages and UM has been in no rush, partly because several appealing options won’t be available for weeks; for example, potential candidate Charlie Strong’s Texas team closes its regular season on Dec. 5. Athletic director Blake James has been talking to search firms about assisting with the process…

A Trustee said though it’s not a requirement, James looks at proven ability to recruit South Florida as a major plus. That would help Mario Cristobal and Strong, among others…. Keep in mind that UM inquired about Georgia’s Mark Richt (who could become available) in its last coaching search, but Richt indicated at that time he was happy in Athens....

During the game, got a text from a prominent former Canes player pleading for UM to hire Butch Davis. But an associate of James said his understanding is that Davis remains simply a fallback option, if several more appealing options don't materialize.

Dolphins can clear lots of cap space to fill needs; Gannon's concerns; UM postscripts, coaching search notes; Heat, Marlins chatter | Sports Buzz

HERMAN HERMAN HERMAN

dont truste little *****es like James he another guy who should be fired for not having balls . My guess he will fck this up

Advertisement
### As for the coaching search, it's still in the early stages and UM has been in no rush, partly because several appealing options won’t be available for weeks; for example, potential candidate Charlie Strong’s Texas team closes its regular season on Dec. 5. Athletic director Blake James has been talking to search firms about assisting with the process…

A Trustee said though it’s not a requirement, James looks at proven ability to recruit South Florida as a major plus. That would help Mario Cristobal and Strong, among others…. Keep in mind that UM inquired about Georgia’s Mark Richt (who could become available) in its last coaching search, but Richt indicated at that time he was happy in Athens....

During the game, got a text from a prominent former Canes player pleading for UM to hire Butch Davis. But an associate of James said his understanding is that Davis remains simply a fallback option, if several more appealing options don't materialize.

Dolphins can clear lots of cap space to fill needs; Gannon's concerns; UM postscripts, coaching search notes; Heat, Marlins chatter | Sports Buzz

HERMAN HERMAN HERMAN

dont truste little *****es like James he another guy who should be fired for not having balls . My guess he will fck this up

My only hope is that James really has no say

I can't follow this day-to-day stuff anymore.
I just need to drink heavily over the next 3 weeks.

HERMAN HERMAN HERMAN

My only hope is that James really has no say

I guarantee you this ************ has no say. You think guys like Miller and DiMare are going to allow an expendable guy like Blake James to make this pivotal decision?!?!? This guy is a puppet, always has been.

I can't follow this day-to-day stuff anymore.
I just need to drink heavily over the next 3 weeks.

I have to drink just to read this board. Come to think of it over the last 10+ years I've had to drink just to stay a Canes fan ;)

Butch as a backup to Herman and that's the only guy that should be a candidate in front of Butch. No Cristobal or Strong.

Advertisement
For all the clownish cult members who think their deity is already hired why not just announce it? What harm does it do if you already have your guy? There's always some conspiracy with these cult dudes.

DiMare wants Butch. DiMare's decision supersedes Blakes. Butch will be the next coach. I'm not buying the whole he's a back up plan. They are covering their asses and making it seem like they are actually doing their due diligence.

This whole athletic department sucks. Prove me wrong by making a bold out of the box hire.

They don't really have to cover their asses if they want to hire Butch. He's the overwhelming fan favorite. They'd be heroes to most of these dopes if they didn't conduct a search and just announced Butch. I think it's a good thing that they haven't hired him yet.

They are going to fvck this up.

What else is new? They're just waiting for Bama's season to end..............................Kill me now.

Unfortunately, this is what I've heard from a couple of people who would know.
I hope they are very wrong on this one.

They're going to wait until January to hire an OL coach? I can see waiting to hire another team's HC or maybe even another team's OC or DC, but a fcking position coach? Houston hired Herman before OSU played in the NC game. I don't buy that for a second, especially given the fact that Bama hired Cristoballbag away from UM two weeks after UM hired him.

Don't get me wrong. They might wind up hiring that useless pile of ****. But they wouldn't wait till Bama's season ends to do it.

For all the clownish cult members who think their deity is already hired why not just announce it? What harm does it do if you already have your guy? There's always some conspiracy with these cult dudes.

Agree, if he were the #1 candidate he would already be hired and that goes for Cristobal too. Both fallback guys it's looking. UM leaking Cristobal and other candidates as part of their master plan to deflect real interest ;)

Advertisement

What else is new? They're just waiting for Bama's season to end..............................Kill me now.

They're going to wait until January to hire an OL coach? I can see waiting to hire another team's HC or maybe even another team's OC or DC, but a fcking position coach? Houston hired Herman before OSU played in the NC game. I don't buy that for a second, especially given the fact that Bama hired Cristoballbag away from UM two weeks after UM hired him.

Don't get me wrong. They might wind up hiring that useless pile of ****. But they wouldn't wait till Bama's season ends to do it.

I didn't hear anything about the timing.
Just that UM wanted to hire him.

LOL at familiarity with recruiting. I see idiots on Twitter blabbing about this shlt and advocating for losers like Cristobal and it drives me nuts. I pray the admin isn't as stupid as these dolts.

Folden brought Noley, Scott, Beard, Baez, and Ice on board with the idea it would significantly help our recruiting efforts in south Florida. Despite this, our classes become progressively worse over his tenure to the point where committing early and decommiting in the future became the norm.

That's because nobody wants to play for a proven loser. Ties to south Florida mean jack shlt if you're a bad coach. Bring in a winner and that coach will recruit well.

DiMare wants Butch. DiMare's decision supersedes Blakes. Butch will be the next coach. I'm not buying the whole he's a back up plan. They are covering their asses and making it seem like they are actually doing their due diligence.

This whole athletic department sucks. Prove me wrong by making a bold out of the box hire.

They don't really have to cover their asses if they want to hire Butch. He's the overwhelming fan favorite. They'd be heroes to most of these dopes if they didn't conduct a search and just announced Butch. I think it's a good thing that they haven't hired him yet.

I agree.

If UM wants to hire him he'd be on a raft on his way here already. He's shown through his PR campaign that he wants the job more than anything, and he's also show zero loyalty. He'd leave Bama in a split second if UM offered him the gig.

Advertisement
LOL at familiarity with recruiting. I see idiots on Twitter blabbing about this shlt and advocating for losers like Cristobal and it drives me nuts. I pray the admin isn't as stupid as these dolts.

Folden brought Noley, Scott, Beard, Baez, and Ice on board with the idea it would significantly help our recruiting efforts in south Florida. Despite this, our classes become progressively worse over his tenure to the point where committing early and decommiting in the future became the norm.

That's because nobody wants to play for a proven loser. Ties to south Florida mean jack shlt if you're a bad coach. Bring in a winner and that coach will recruit well.

It's such an easy concept, yet none of these morons seem to get it. UM doesn't get it either. And neither does the media.

If UM wants to hire him he'd be on a raft on his way here already. He's shown through his PR campaign that he wants the job more than anything, and he's also show zero loyalty. He'd leave Bama in a split second if UM offered him the gig.

Of course. Let's also add in the fact that he isn't being offered any other HC gigs or coordinator gigs.

My sauce that hides outside of Butch Davis window said the job was his. Said my broke *** wasn't kicking in and i needed to grow pubes. This has too be false propaganda from the flake office as my sauce would say.

Advertisement
Chise, while I don't agree with you on who we should ultimately hire, I do somewhat agree with your thoughts on the hiring process. For me, you first call your "home run" hires, current A-list head coaches that have to tell you no before moving on (I personally put Patterson, Gundy, B. Stoops, and Dantonio on that list, but you may have others). If you strike out on all of them, you next call on Herman and Fuente. If they turn you down or you are convinced they are not a fit, you then call Butch and hire a crap ton of people to man the season ticket phone lines.

That should literally be the extent of the search. Cristobal, Strong, Schiano (and their ilk) are below our standard and/or are not what we currently need in our predicament.

What am I missing?

It's such an easy concept, yet none of these morons seem to get it. UM doesn't get it either. And neither does the media.

Nobody was more Miami than Shannon. Grew up in Miami, played at UM, coached at UM, knew the lay of the land better than anyone.

But when he was exposed as a terrible coach, suddenly all of his ties to the community meant jack shlt. We've been through this. They should know from the Shannon era alone that having a "Miami guy" as the head man in charge is meaningless if they guy can't coach.

Last edited:

Agree, if he were the #1 candidate he would already be hired and that goes for Cristobal too. Both fallback guys it's looking. UM leaking Cristobal and other candidates as part of their master plan to deflect real interest ;)
I don't see UM being smart or competent enough to have a "master plan" or an elaborate smoke screen PR strategy as you are suggesting. It's more likely that they are disorganized and making it up as they go along. There are too many decision makers and likely no concensus around who they really want to hire.

Nobody was more Miami than Shannon. Grew up in Miami, played at UM, coached at UM, knew the lay of the land better than anyone.

But when he was exposed as a terrible coach, suddenly all of his ties to the community meant jack shlt. We've been through this. They should know from the Shannon era alone that having a "Miami guy" as the head man in charge is meaningless if they guy can't coach.

Our fan base doesn't learn from our history of poor decision making, neither do our decision makers.

Advertisement
Back