Barry Jackson says Butch is a fallback option

For all the clownish cult members who think their deity is already hired why not just announce it? What harm does it do if you already have your guy? There's always some conspiracy with these cult dudes.

Agree, if he were the #1 candidate he would already be hired and that goes for Cristobal too. Both fallback guys it's looking. UM leaking Cristobal and other candidates as part of their master plan to deflect real interest ;)
I don't see UM being smart or competent enough to have a "master plan" or an elaborate smoke screen PR strategy as you are suggesting. It's more likely that they are disorganized and making it up as they go along. There are too many decision makers and likely no concensus around who they really want to hire.

Me neither, hence the ;) ;) ;)

But no one really knows. Some media people saying Cristobal leading while others say that Cristobal's close friends say he hasn't even been contacted. The smoke is real but it's not by UM. It's by people throwing smoke out their **** to get page clicks. It's still in the early stages, good coaches are still employed and can't talk yet.

Advertisement
Chise, while I don't agree with you on who we should ultimately hire, I do somewhat agree with your thoughts on the hiring process. For me, you first call your "home run" hires, current A-list head coaches that have to tell you no before moving on (I personally put Patterson, Gundy, B. Stoops, and Dantonio on that list, but you may have others). If you strike out on all of them, you next call on Herman and Fuente. If they turn you down or you are convinced they are not a fit, you then call Butch and hire a crap ton of people to man the season ticket phone lines.

That should literally be the extent of the search. Cristobal, Strong, Schiano (and their ilk) are below our standard and/or are not what we currently need in our predicament.

What am I missing?

This is how I feel except that I would not put Herman or Fuente ahead of Butch. Neither of them are proven in a Power 5 conference. I might make an exception for Herman if he blows me away in the interview or shows me that is he absolutely ready for a pressure cooker like Miami. I've not seen many coaches go from a smaller school like the Houston and Memphis to an elite program and succeed right away. Usually those guys are playing and beating top programs already. Meyer was at Utah before UF, Saban was at Mich St., etc. not saying it doesn't happen, just that it is not common.

I really like Gundy. That's the type of profile we should be looking for. Guys at middle tier Power 5 programs that succeed but will not consistently compete for national titles.

If we can't get one of those guys lets get Butch back.

You make a convincing argument aside from the fact it's asinine. I'm not sure how much you know about football. But a head coach is simply a piece of something far bigger (a staff) you mention Shannon & these other people yet you conveniently forget the **** staff that he had in place. A hc is virtually a puppet. No matter how good or bad he is if he doesn't have a good staff that relays his principles & coaches up his players at said positions than he's gonna fail. I agree if the decision had been made on butch he would've already been hired. But people need to understand until the end of the season morally um can't make progress on this search due to current employment. Let's just sit back & see what happens. As long as we don't hire a search committee well be fine.

You make a convincing argument aside from the fact it's asinine. I'm not sure how much you know about football. But a head coach is simply a piece of something far bigger (a staff) you mention Shannon & these other people yet you conveniently forget the **** staff that he had in place. A hc is virtually a puppet. No matter how good or bad he is if he doesn't have a good staff that relays his principles & coaches up his players at said positions than he's gonna fail. I agree if the decision had been made on butch he would've already been hired. But people need to understand until the end of the season morally um can't make progress on this search due to current employment. Let's just sit back & see what happens. As long as we don't hire a search committee well be fine.
The Barry Jackson article says we have.

It's over folks.

LOL at familiarity with recruiting. I see idiots on Twitter blabbing about this shlt and advocating for losers like Cristobal and it drives me nuts. I pray the admin isn't as stupid as these dolts.

Folden brought Noley, Scott, Beard, Baez, and Ice on board with the idea it would significantly help our recruiting efforts in south Florida. Despite this, our classes become progressively worse over his tenure to the point where committing early and decommiting in the future became the norm.

That's because nobody wants to play for a proven loser. Ties to south Florida mean jack shlt if you're a bad coach. Bring in a winner and that coach will recruit well.

It's such an easy concept, yet none of these morons seem to get it. UM doesn't get it either. And neither does the media.

Nobody was more Miami than Shannon. Grew up in Miami, played at UM, coached at UM, knew the lay of the land better than anyone.

But when he was exposed as a terrible coach, suddenly all of his ties to the community meant jack shlt. We've been through this. They should know from the Shannon era alone that having a "Miami guy" as the head man in charge is meaningless if they guy can't coach.
It's too easy. Yet, we still see a proliferation of imbeciles on here and everywhere else yacking about how we need a Miami guy or someone familiar with South Florida culture. Fcking morons.

There's a laundry list of examples showing that **** to be meaningless. How about McEltooth, a dude with Bama bangs and big goofy yellow horse teeth, walking down here and owning all of our "Miami guys" like Coley, Ice and Beard and taking whoever he wanted? He came from fcking Colorado State, and in 3 weeks took ownership of South Florida.

Are Jizzbo and his goofy hayseed buddy Brewster "Miami guys"? How about our own rednecks with no connection to the area? Jimmy Johnson? He killed it too.

Advertisement
For all the clownish cult members who think their deity is already hired why not just announce it? What harm does it do if you already have your guy? There's always some conspiracy with these cult dudes.

If Butch was they guy and they had already made the decision they would have announced it. The fan base would be excited, it would sell tickets and he could already start working on his next years class.

This isn't true at all. Johnson and Erickson had no links at all and they did fine (although Erickson went out of state too often and he wasn't the best recruiter to begin with).

If Herman or Fuente were hired and did a bang up job, they'd be able to cherry pick who they wanted, just like Jimmy did and like Butch did (once the sanctions were over).

However, this would be true for any quality HC who comes in and gets the job done....

Fuente or Herman have any ties to South Florida or any of these high school coaches this would be another Alf Golden situation. These coaches and parents ain't gonna send their kids to some unknown coach. Donna came I and ****ed up a lot of good things we had going. Once she came we couldn't even shop in our own backyard for groceries!!!

Herman I may be ok with. Or an established dude like Patterson.. but if we get some chud type while butch is just sitting there. I'll be heated.

Advertisement
The Golden Canes had their away trip to NC this weekend and Blake basically said its a marathon not a sprint to find the right coach. Mario C has not been contacted by anyone from Miami including Butch Davis.

The Golden Canes had their away trip to NC this weekend and Blake basically said its a marathon not a sprint to find the right coach. Mario C has not been contacted by anyone from Miami including Butch Davis.

I feel like you know what you are talking about due to your username. Mario and Alex Mirabal are close... are you related to Alex?

Advertisement

I feel like you know what you are talking about due to your username. Mario and Alex Mirabal are close... are you related to Alex?

I'm going to rename myself ButchDavis'sBestFriend so that more people will pay attention to what I say about Butch.

You can scream all you want about the coaching (and it obviously needs to be better), but the onus also falls on players who have twice in a month been humiliated by teams whose rosters are filled with recruiting classes that were ranked no higher than Miami's by Rivals.com. (And yes, Rivals clearly overrated some UM players.)
"They have to be men about it [and keep giving effort]," interim coach Larry Scott of a team that might be unmotivated, at 6-4, with games left against Georgia Tech and at Pittsburgh.
In this 59-21 North Carolina dismantling of the Canes, we saw four-star UM defensive linemen continually being swallowed up by blockers, four and three-star offensive linemen breaking down in protection, and more mindless, undisciplined penalties from players who should know better. And how is it that UM twice got called for having too many players in the backfield?

----------------------------------------------------------------

That's when you know people writing stuff have no idea what they're looking at or the context of why players look crappier than they should.

Advertisement
if i told you that FHEG would be fired midseason and that Butch would be hired I woulda been thrilled. give me Butch now

Bruce Feldman is reporting the same thing, saying sources are telling Fox that Butch is a fallback. Feldman's source is probably Jackson and Jackson, Feldman. While I want Herman, at this point I'm so scared they're going to hire Cuban Al, Strong or Chud, part of me just wants them to hire Butch tonight.

I agree with everything here except for the size 0.0025 font....

You can scream all you want about the coaching (and it obviously needs to be better), but the onus also falls on players who have twice in a month been humiliated by teams whose rosters are filled with recruiting classes that were ranked no higher than Miami's by Rivals.com. (And yes, Rivals clearly overrated some UM players.)
"They have to be men about it [and keep giving effort]," interim coach Larry Scott of a team that might be unmotivated, at 6-4, with games left against Georgia Tech and at Pittsburgh.
In this 59-21 North Carolina dismantling of the Canes, we saw four-star UM defensive linemen continually being swallowed up by blockers, four and three-star offensive linemen breaking down in protection, and more mindless, undisciplined penalties from players who should know better. And how is it that UM twice got called for having too many players in the backfield?

----------------------------------------------------------------

That's when you know people writing stuff have no idea what they're looking at or the context of why players look crappier than they should.

Fuente or Herman have any ties to South Florida or any of these high school coaches this would be another Alf Golden situation. These coaches and parents ain't gonna send their kids to some unknown coach. Donna came I and ****ed up a lot of good things we had going. Once she came we couldn't even shop in our own backyard for groceries!!!

No. Another Alf golden situation would be another ****** coach. As others have mentioned here we've had plenty of Miami guys who've done nothing because they were either ****** coaches or worked for ****** coaches. It's not that hard.

Advertisement
Back