Barry Jackson reporting Lashlee Coming

Advertisement
Advertisement
Schematically, everyone is going to like this. He runs an up tempo spread and he's run the football when he's had a running back. He's going to go zoom zoom zoom. He checks off a few boxes for me, if I'm being honest.

We'll be more fun to watch next year if our team isn't actually full of bozos.

However...when you peel back the first layer of the onion, you see a more questionable hire.

Total Offense numbers are a bit skewered due to high volume of plays per game. His yards per as an autonomous offensive coordinator are middling. His 3rd Down Conversion and Red Zone % again, middling.

SP+ Offensive numbers are not kind to him either. Despite his offense being pretty high octane, the numbers don't favor him here either.

Will Miami's offense be improved next year? Absolutely. There is no way to go but up. Will our record get better? Yes. Is it enough to win the Coastal? ffs, it SHOULD be.

But I can't expect much more than that. I feel the hire is a bit of a slum.

I HOPE this is one of those scenarios where a suboptimal hire just so happens to find its perfect fit and there's a perfect storm here. We'll see. But I can't help but think this is Manny Diaz's attempt to put lipstick on a pig and get some of the heat off his back, even if its not the best hire. He's going to come in and say "we just signed an offensive coordinator that runs a high up tempo spread offense that finished Top 10 in the nation"...

I just hope that with a hire like this...which should come much cheaper, we can splurge on a WR Coach and OL Coach.

I also hope Rhett Lashlee drops $35,000 of his own new money and gets us one of these...SMU and LSU used this last year and their WRs improved by leaps and bounds.

He was the full time starter one year at Texas. He threw for 2900 yards with 21 TD and 11 INT. At SMU last year, he threw for 3900 yards with 34 TD and 10 INT. If you’re wondering, SMU had basically the same SOS that Miami did.

Thats more like natural progression and maturity, added onto playing a much easier schedule and a fast paced offense. It’s not like as soon as Lashlee took over as his OC he threw for 1000 more yards and 15 more touchdowns.

Advertisement
I wouldn't count on it.

I wanna see the U back with or without Manny. I never understand why people waste their energy hating on Manny or any other coach. Whatever is the best for the football program I am for it.
Exactly. I want the program back. If it's with Manny, great. If it's with someone else, great.

Schematically, everyone is going to like this. He runs an up tempo spread and he's run the football when he's had a running back. He's going to go zoom zoom zoom. He checks off a few boxes for me, if I'm being honest.

We'll be more fun to watch next year if our team isn't actually full of bozos.

However...when you peel back the first layer of the onion, you see a more questionable hire.

Total Offense numbers are a bit skewered due to high volume of plays per game. His yards per as an autonomous offensive coordinator are middling. His 3rd Down Conversion and Red Zone % again, middling.

SP+ Offensive numbers are not kind to him either. Despite his offense being pretty high octane, the numbers don't favor him here either.

Will Miami's offense be improved next year? Absolutely. There is no way to go but up. Will our record get better? Yes. Is it enough to win the Coastal? ffs, it SHOULD be.

But I can't expect much more than that. I feel the hire is a bit of a slum.

I HOPE this is one of those scenarios where a suboptimal hire just so happens to find its perfect fit and there's a perfect storm here. We'll see. But I can't help but think this is Manny Diaz's attempt to put lipstick on a pig and get some of the heat off his back, even if its not the best hire. He's going to come in and say "we just signed an offensive coordinator that runs a high up tempo spread offense that finished Top 10 in the nation"...

I just hope that with a hire like this...which should come much cheaper, we can splurge on a WR Coach and OL Coach.

I also hope Rhett Lashlee drops $35,000 of his own new money and gets us one of these...SMU and LSU used this last year and their WRs improved by leaps and bounds.

They don’t want to hear the truth

Advertisement
Thats more like natural progression and maturity, added onto playing a much easier schedule and a fast paced offense. It’s not like as soon as Lashlee took over as his OC he threw for 1000 more yards and 15 more touchdowns.

Nice spin

Advertisement
I think Ivey, Couch, and Williams will be better.. especially Couch. He’s going to be a good one. I just think we played good enough defense to win 10 games this year. Williams should be WAY better next season with a spread offense. Defense with Rousseau, the DTs, and Phillips, we should be deadly upfront again. Also, I think Brooks will be an AA candidate next season, just like Greg was this season. I hope we go after Lockett to coach special teams and help us recruit Dade better.

Your glass is definitely half full. Lol 😉

Not sure about Ivey; actually thought he would play better this year. He had a few interceptions but it was more of an overthrow or a tip by someone else, as opposed to him making an affirmative play like jumping a route or out battling a receiver. Maybe he will make a jump next year.

Think Couch needs to get bigger and stronger but he definitely has potential. Think Williams does as well even though he didn’t play too much CB this year. Good points by you mentioning them.

For me, jury is out as to Phillips. Know he was highly rated out of HS but need to see how he plays after sitting out a year.

Yes Rosseau did make several great plays and Deservedly got some AA recognition. But and I know it’s Verboten to say this, he also disappeared for stretches in some games and got manhandled at times. FIU is one example. Hopefully he gets even stronger. Despite others bashing Patchian actually glad he is back; He is a solid and strong player (and yes I know he got a bonehead penalty in one our last games).

Brooks has some wheels for sure and flashed in the bowl game. Curious to also see how Huff plays.

Lockette could be a good hire and may help to avoid any remaining HS coach anti-UM bias. I’m not, however, as high now on the local ties thing as I used to be. We got Cooney and Hickson with local ties. As an aside, I found it interesting that one of our DB recruits (Keyshawn Washington) commented on how his relationship with Banda over time was a factor in his decision.

At least now some of us will have Hope, which is a good thing. See, Shawshank Redemption.

Advertisement
Back