Baker: play calling or scheme?

They've got a pretty good offense and never came closer than 13 points after the Knighton TD with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. It happens.

I'm so old I can remember when we nitpicked the defense in losses. Now it's in 13 point wins. What a time.
It's not nitpick.. I said our defense is average to above average. You run in here to dispute it. when I point out why I have that opinion, you're basically saying its ok because we won. What our offense does is no excuse for our defense getting scored on like that.

Advertisement
It's not nitpick.. I said our defense is average to above average. You run in here to dispute it. when I point out why I have that opinion, you're basically saying its ok because we won. What our offense does is no excuse for our defense getting scored on like that.

It's at least above average. We have 4 years of data to back that up. If you think it's taken a step back this season compared to the previous 4, it's possible. We'll see over the next couple months and surely on Saturday night.

I just know this board and I know the average Miami fan and I know how much of an entitled crybaby the average person is. No matter what happens Saturday night, save a shutout or something insane, you're still going to have people crying about the defense and fire Manny, fire Baker, fire Patke, Banda is a bartender, etc. You just can't make miserable people be anything but miserable.

I'll just say this, if you paired the 2020 Miami offense with the 2016 defense, 2017 defense, 2018 defense, and 2019 defense....we're looking at one of the 10 best programs in the country over that time period. That's just a fact. So, if you're saying our luck is extremely ****** and we finally have a good offense but the 2020 defense is average and we're going to lose games because of it, well we will see if that comes to fruition over the next month or two. But if Clemson scores 30 on Saturday night and we lose a game like 31-28 or something like that, you're going to have people calling for everyone on the defensive staff to die like Clemson hasn't averaged almost 45 points a game over the past 2 years.

It's at least above average. We have 4 years of data to back that up. If you think it's taken a step back this season compared to the previous 4, it's possible. We'll see over the next couple months and surely on Saturday night.

I just know this board and I know the average Miami fan and I know how much of an entitled crybaby the average person is. No matter what happens Saturday night, save a shutout or something insane, you're still going to have people crying about the defense and fire Manny, fire Baker, fire Patke, Banda is a bartender, etc. You just can't make miserable people be anything but miserable.

I'll just say this, if you paired the 2020 Miami offense with the 2016 defense, 2017 defense, 2018 defense, and 2019 defense....we're looking at one of the 10 best programs in the country over that time period. That's just a fact. So, if you're saying our luck is extremely ****** and we finally have a good offense but the 2020 defense is average and we're going to lose games because of it, well we will see if that comes to fruition over the next month or two. But if Clemson scores 30 on Saturday night and we lose a game like 31-28 or something like that, you're going to have people calling for everyone on the defensive staff to die like Clemson hasn't averaged almost 45 points a game over the past 2 years.
Why are our fans so sensitive? First of all I didn't say we are gonna lose, and I been think some of our d coaches are not good enough. Until they stand up to teams with similar or better talent I will feel that way. They can always prove me wrong. I'm not gonna be calling for them to be removed midseason. We had good defense under Diaz, it's taken a step back under Baker. No they are not the same. Also we can win alot of games with our defense how it is because of our offense. They simply need to make key stops, 3rd down, red zone and create turnovers. It's much the same combo LSU had. Teams put up yards and points on them they were not great, didnt need to be.

Defense sucked that night, for sure. But it doesn't exactly help your defense when this is what your offense does in the first half of a football game:

3 plays and punt
5 plays and a missed FG after recovering a muffed punt
3 plays and punt
6 plays and punt
3 plays and punt
6 plays and punt

And....that's the half.

Again, they had 3 long TD drives. Can't happen again. But you're not going to win too many football games with 5 punts and a missed FG on 6 first half possessions.

I've got a few silver dollars that say our offense won't do that again on Saturday night.
I believe all the punts were shanked as well and didn't make it over midfield. I thought there was an interception by Clemson as well

And if we could field the 2001 Hurricanes roster each year, watch out.

Funny thing, that can't happen and the squad has to work with the staff and players here today.

Advertisement
There's two really weird things about our approach to defense.

Most teams offenses are built these days to nickel and dime you to death. Just a few short years ago our fans used to clown on a team like Clemson as that was the staple of their offense. It isn't some gimmick, it's what kids are doing at the high school level and the staple offense all the way to the NFL. As you said, offenses will take everything you give them and kill you with it.

The second thing is that we have CB's who are physical enough to mix it up on the line. We've got safeties who can get there to help. We need to disrupt the flow of the passing game, with offenses like this. Will we, haven't yet, but get those guys up there and let them work.

Trevor can throw it all over the place. Make him earn it down the field. We give up all the underneath short **** we've been giving up they'll grind us to death.

EXACTLY.

The short passing game is the fundamental component of modern offenses and replaced inside running as the key to offensive success.

Too many coaches cling to the old rule book of running and throwing deep off the run.

Defensive coordinators are terrified of the big play and use statistics to justify overly conservative defense. Others use statistics to justify an over reliance on blitzing and negative plays. We have the misfortune of employing both mindsets. It works well against average and bad offenses, but can get exposed against quality opponents.

I think many coaches don’t put enough weight into the human element of why statistics end up being generated a certain way. They allow raw numbers to deceive them into not believing their own eyes.

You don’t beat good quarterbacks blitzing. It’s not the 90s and early 2000s anymore. The spread was literally evolved to give offenses a shot at overcoming the devastating impact zone blitzing had on old school deep drop, pro style offenses.

If you can’t generate ANY pressure, the philosophy is understandable, but when you have defensive line talent at the level Miami does, it makes you scratch your head.

Advertisement
In my observation, doing better than Manuela whose job, he [Lashlee] should be singulary (ok probably add Justice) credited in saving.

Your welcome friend.

From your posts and continuously calling our coach manuela it looks like it pains you a lot that Manny's job is being saved.

From your posts and continuously calling our coach manuela it looks like it pains you a lot that Manny's job is being saved.
Correct. I'd like to see our Canes led by elite AD and HC combo, supported by an elite OC and DC. Wouldn't you? In my opinion, with those personalities in-place, other school's bags don't look a shiny as they do now.

Today, I'd say Greentree has 1/4 roaming the sidelines. If the program can get 3/4, watch out CFB. If they can reach 4/4, they'll be an NFL franchise.

I will say my position is a touch schizophrenic. Of course I want to see our Canes be great, while also having the right people as staff. The performance they put forth these past three games, while not perfect, are boderline miraculous from where they ended with three last season. I, like others, remain frustrated certain elements are still with the program because I believe there could be so much more our Canes can achieve.

Again, I'm solidly in the camp Lashlee has brought the success to Coral Gables and not James or Diaz.

Manuela's often and significant failures last year set some of the lowest marks in program history.--perhaps the lowest.

Forgiving of incompetence is not a strong suit of mine.

Last edited:
Shhhhhhh.... don't tell anyone your post count on this one either.

People get all kinds of judgmental when they conjure who I really am.

👿

Advertisement
I don’t think we have the athletes on defense at linebacker and corner back to be as good as we think we should be. Once those upgrades occur over the next 1-2 years with the current group of freshmen and next year’s recruiting class I think we will all be pleasantly surprised.
Our d-line has future NFL players up and down. But other than Bolden and possibly Blades, there isn’t a sure fire NFL player in the back 7. That means we are having to do a lot with schemes and it just won’t always work, especially against really good teams.

Correct. I'd like to see our Canes led by elite AD and HC combo, supported by an elite OC and DC. Wouldn't you? In my opinion, with those personalities in-place, other school's bags don't look a shiny as they do now.

Today, I'd say Greentree has 1/4 roaming the sidelines. If the program can get 3/4, watch out CFB. If they can reach 4/4, they'll be an NFL franchise.

I will say my position is a touch schizophrenic. Of course I want to see our Canes be great, while also having the right people as staff. The performance they put forth these past three games, while not perfect, are boderline miraculous from where they ended with three last season. I, like others, remain frustrated certain elements are still with the program because I believe there could be so much more our Canes can achieve.

Again, I'm solidly in the camp Lashlee has brought the success to Coral Gables and not James or Diaz.

Manuela's often and significant failures last year set some of the lowest marks in program history.--perhaps the lowest.

Forgiving of incompetence is not a strong suit of mine.

You're going to have a miserable season cause we are doing special things this season with Manny at the helm.
You'll have to find another team to root for.

Advertisement
Our defense isn’t great, but it is good enough to win. We spent years crying about how if we had a decent offense we would win a bunch of games. Enjoy that we are winning games man.

I mean these are the same clowns that were / are saying to fire Rumph when we were rated the #1 passing defense in the country.

Last year was inexcusable, obviously most knew going into this season if we had a rough one that manny needed to go but he did what head coaches are supposed to.

he KILLED it with the transfer portal, fixing the OL, QB, Kicker, (DE/S last year with phillips and bolden) generated excitement for the program, made probably the best hire in college football (lashlee), and has an amazing recruiting class coming in.

what the **** else is a HC supposed to do right now when just 3 games ago we lost 14-0 to louisiana tech, we're now #7 with a chance to make a statement and be top 2.

anyone not happy with the change of course over the last few months is a moron

we'll see if baker has it in him when the sample size is bigger but Louisville had 6 points at half, FSU had 3. Both games were out of hand when the other teams started getting garbage yards

Advertisement
Back