Baker: play calling or scheme?

Advertisement
308A6758-03FA-4297-866C-ECD2C648774B.jpeg

We tried the “don’t press” thing before against a worst QB and got roasted. We gotta play sound football, man. Real Miami football. If we try the bend but don’t break approach we’re in for a world of hurt.

Here's a graph that shows the completion percentage of various throws.
You'll notice that the lower percentage throws are VERTICAL DOWN THE SIDELINES.
throw percentages.jpg

Now this chart reflects NFL statistics, where the QB's and WR's are elite. We play against college QB's and WR's, so the completion percentage might even be lower.

Knowing this, you'd want to structure a pass defense that is based on taking away the middle of the field and forcing the ball OUTSIDE and DEEP. There's not an offense in the world that can beat you throwing nothing but verticals down the sidelines. It just doesn't happen.

If we can score 35 points per games, there's not an offense we'll face that will score more than that if they have to rely on deep sideline throws.

At times we do TOO MUCH with schemes and it has it looking like dummies.
We need to just line-up and be sound more often.

And I don't know that our DL has NFL players "up and down".
Nesta, Phillips, Harrison-Hunt and Roche are the only NFL guys I see so far, and Roche will go late IMO. (he's small)

At some point you have to question development too.
We've seen this staff get 4/5 stars and fail to develop them into early NFL drafts picks. So truthfully I don't know how much NFL talent we REALLY have on defense. There could be more NFL guys in our unit if they were developed differently and/or put in better positions to succeed.
None of our Dlineman leave here with any pass rush moves.. There was a scout on through the smoke podcast and said samething again about Rousseau, talented but needs to get better with hands.. Our dlineman get to league and washout quick it seems.. Only guy with any moves is Roche and he had that rep before he got here..

None of our Dlineman leave here with any pass rush moves.. There was a scout on through the smoke podcast and said samething again about Rousseau, talented but needs to get better with hands.. Our dlineman get to league and washout quick it seems.. Only guy with any moves is Roche and he had that rep before he got here..
Rousseau has played DE for 2 years lol give him time.

Advertisement
Yea thats why most felt he should of played because he needs more live reps..
Oh for sure he definitely should have but most likely he will still be a first rounder so I don’t blame him leaving

Here's a graph that shows the completion percentage of various throws.
You'll notice that the lower percentage throws are VERTICAL DOWN THE SIDELINES.
View attachment 133101

Now this chart reflects NFL statistics, where the QB's and WR's are elite. We play against college QB's and WR's, so the completion percentage might even be lower.

Knowing this, you'd want to structure a pass defense that is based on taking away the middle of the field and forcing the ball OUTSIDE and DEEP. There's not an offense in the world that can beat you throwing nothing but verticals down the sidelines. It just doesn't happen.

If we can score 35 points per games, there's not an offense we'll face that will score more than that if they have to rely on deep sideline throws.
p8GJOXwSNzQPu.gif

In both NC St and VT contests, what changed (in a good way) for Miami's D in 4Q?

Did Baker luck into calling the right play, did players just start making sandlot plays, or did the players start to execute the calls where they weren't before?

It seems like a switch for the D. Its off and the O rolls and rolls. Its on (not as frequently as we want to see), and the opposing O gets shutdown.

Advertisement
There is a 3rd possibility beside play calling or scheme or even talent and its that we have some really dumb players that keep making the same mistakes over and over. Because these players have talent they are not pulled from the game, you just cannot coach dumb.

That's pretty much the basis for JJ's invention of the Miami 4-3 defense.

**** with the soft crap on defense. Receivers should be hit hard as they cross the line of scrimage. This disrupts routes and timing.

View attachment 133100

We tried the “don’t press” thing before against a worst QB and got roasted. We gotta play sound football, man. Real Miami football. If we try the bend but don’t break approach we’re in for a world of hurt.
This

This IS spot on. Manny's scheme during the 1st half of that game was HEINOUS. Sadly Baker runs this type of crap too much.

Advertisement
I would say halftime adjustments but that would mean a 3rd and 4th qtr dominance on defense.

There is a 3rd possibility beside play calling or scheme or even talent and its that we have some really dumb players that keep making the same mistakes over and over. Because these players have talent they are not pulled from the game, you just cannot coach dumb.
Then it’s recruiting, cause the coaches are the ones recruiting stupid players...

Advertisement
The rule book is tailored for offense in every way possible.

*they allow O-linemen to block 3 yards+ downfield on pass plays
*can't hit QB's
*can't hit WR's
*barely call holding anymore

Allowing OL to run block on a pass play is by far the biggest cheat IMO. It's completely unfair to the defense.

Yup. Been saying it for years now and it’s the reason I posted what I did. He’s not wrong. It’s the reason I laugh at people on here when they flip out about the defense and we give up 20 points. You get 20 just for lining up these days. The entire game has completely shifted to promote offense and scoring in every aspect over the past decade. Scoring in the NFL is literally higher than it’s ever been in the entire history of the sport. And we win a game 24-21 and every post is about firing the defensive coordinator lmao.

The rule book is tailored for offense in every way possible.

*they allow O-linemen to block 3 yards+ downfield on pass plays
*can't hit QB's
*can't hit WR's
*barely call holding anymore

Allowing OL to run block on a pass play is by far the biggest cheat IMO. It's completely unfair to the defense.

All true. And that "3 yards" seems to get stretched to 5 yards by a lot of crews. In the last 3 years there have been plenty of times where I see college OL blocking 5 yards downfield on a pass and there is no flag.

Advertisement
Back