Baker: play calling or scheme?

The one decent offensive opponent we faced scored 34 points and had over 500 yards of offense.
Their QB, RB and WR all had big days.

That same offense got skull fvcked a week later by Pitt.
Does Pitt have better defensive players than us?

Since Diaz has been here this defense has accumulated it's **** stats versus trash offenses but had it's lunch eaten by good ones.
That's why I think it's kinda funny when we continue to promote these subjective numbers.
Don’t waste your time on the mouth breathers. Putting too much stock into statistics, on week 4, with power 2 conferences not playing, is sufficient enough for these Madden coaches to brag about those stats.

Advertisement
It's a combination of both play calling and scheme with a sprinkle of poor coaching.
  1. Calling a Corner blitz from 15 yards away the wide side​
  2. Having the DE attack under and inside the OT leaving the end of the line wide open.​
  3. STUNTS! I saw Baker loop slow *** Jon Ford from A Gap to around the end. He was too slow to put pressure on the QB and too slow to affect the RB.​
  4. On 3rd and short passing downs having the DB's play 10 yards off is just plain silly.​
I think bringing Winston Moss in will give us NFL caliber coaching and assistants. Not to mention being from and recruiting SOFL.
Just move Ed Reed to defensive Coordinator

Go through Louisville offensive totals through the first 3/4th of the game against us and Pitt. They are virtually identical. They scored six points in the first half against us and had 20 points through 11 drives against both teams. The difference in those games was Pitt controlled clock, dominating in TOP while we scored at will, including multiple one play drives. That gave Louisville a ton more chances to make plays offensively. So your description of those two games are not remotely accurate.

Besides that game, the greater reality is this D, with very few exceptions does it's job just about every single week. It dominates ****** offenses and keeps us in games against the better ones. In today's college football that is something not a lot of teams can say. Just ask Oklahoma and Texas.

So it's not about **** or subjective stats. It's about recognizing what college football is and where our defense is within it. When it comes to that perspective, sorry the absurd nitpicking and mind numbing hot takes from some of the arm chair coordinators here is beyond ludicrous.
Who is nitpicking?

I felt like I put forth legitimate obeservations and questions, as did others.

I'm not in the crowd that our Canes D is awful, but I'm also not in the crowd they are elite by most definitions.

So, what can be done to further their development and production in similar ways Lashlee has with the O?

Again, are some of the frustrations we've had with Baker's athletes or with Baker himself?

I'd offer it the latter.

The one decent offensive opponent we faced scored 34 points and had over 500 yards of offense.
Their QB, RB and WR all had big days.

That same offense got skull fvcked a week later by Pitt.
Does Pitt have better defensive players than us?

Since Diaz has been here this defense has accumulated it's **** stats versus trash offenses but had it's lunch eaten by good ones.
That's why I think it's kinda funny when we continue to promote these subjective numbers.
agree: seems we can't handle balance offenses :

Advertisement
Will Blake baker take a Louisville approach with a bend but don’t break mentality. Clemson offense is very explosive so just try and keep everything in front of you.
That's not an "approach", that's just how we play defense.

For those that think this is a good idea, let me remind you that good OC's will gladly take EVERYTHING IN FRONT OF YOU the entire way down the field. You will die a slow death.

The logic of giving up easy throws all game in an attempt to prevent a deep ball is soooo anti-Miami. It's the soft, paranoid, scary approach to playing defense. It's asking to be nickel-and-dimed to death. The result will be a QB that goes 17-17 passing in the first half. (like the last time we played Clemson)

The further, lower percentage throws are OUTSIDE and VERTICAL. You want to take away all of the easy throws and dare the offense to throw outside/vertical...where it's lower percentage and you have help from the sidelines.
If you're gonna give up stuff underneath then you're forcing your guys to make tackles in the open field. Against elite skill players that's going to be tough.

I just keep hearing that our linebackers don't seem to improve. Those in the know mentioned that Shaq and Pink didn't really get that much better from their freshmen years. Mccloud for a 5th year senior, seems so slow diagnosing plays, that he almost always is late and gets caught in the wash. Also it seems our pre snap alignments leave a lot to be desired, looks like we are even trailing plays before the ball is snapped.

Aggressive in the front and scared in the back. It seemed like a lot of teams last year knew they could get through our OL and played their dbs in the areas our wr's would have to be when the dl got home and the qb had to get rid of the ball. I'd like to see Baker do more of that. Bring the dbs up and pressure the wrs close so they're not wide open when the qb has to get rid of the ball. Stop giving opposing qbs easy throws to avoid our dls pressure. We might give up the occasional big play but I think our offense has more than enough fire power to overcome that. Baker needs to ask Lashlee what he would do to overcome his defense and then play his dbs to counter that.
We play press then Ivey gets burned deep no thanks

Advertisement
Stopped reading after “de facto HC Lashlee” lol.

Y’all really are some sorry as MFers. For real. Some genuinely *****made “fans” on this site. I’m not about to give Manny the key to the city by any means, but the dude was SOLELY responsible for getting Lashlee here, he’s also assembled the staff and majority of the roster, we’re 3-0 and ranked #7 in the country, and you ****suckers literally can’t bring yourselves to give the dude a crumb of credit. All negative, all the time. *****ass Cane fan way. ******* embarrassments.

Advertisement

For those that think this is a good idea, let me remind you that good OC's will gladly take EVERYTHING IN FRONT OF YOU the entire way down the field. You will die a slow death.

The logic of giving up easy throws all game in an attempt to prevent a deep ball is soooo anti-Miami. It's the soft, paranoid, scary approach to playing defense. It's asking to be nickel-and-dimed to death. The result will be a QB that goes 17-17 passing in the first half. (like the last time we played Clemson)

The further, lower percentage throws are OUTSIDE and VERTICAL. You want to take away all of the easy throws and dare the offense to throw outside/vertical...where it's lower percentage and you have help from the sidelines.
If you're gonna give up stuff underneath then you're forcing your guys to make tackles in the open field. Against elite skill players that's going to be tough.
In deed but you think Clemson has the patience to take the nickle and dime yards if it’s given to them? At some point they will have to go up top and we just have to be ready for that. They don’t have the guys like last year to hurt you other than ETIENNE. Amari concerns me too but he’s not dominate. Sometimes when I watch them on offense they look like a machine. Virginia played them kinda tight for a little bit and then they just it a different gear. I like our defensive line getting pressure but it just seems like we gotta get at least 3-4 stops and score because you can’t keep that offense down for to long. I’m not sold on our Linebacker play for us which is what scares me. If there able to isolate Etienne on our backers it’s not gonna be a good look. I’m conflicted about being aggressive with Lashlee on 4th down in their territory. I might just settle for Borregales anytime we cross their 40yard line if we don’t convert on 4th down in their territory and play field position. Make them drive the length of the field every drive if possible. Headly will be big to in the punt game. Short field for them is a no no.

We could blitz as often as we do now and take a step up if our zone behind it was shorter, looking to jump the shallow routes that torch our said blitzes. You’re welcome baker
ROFL, they gotta em playing bail techniques with high pressure, WTF is that, that's not Miami football, let alone UM football.

We could blitz as often as we do now and take a step up if our zone behind it was shorter, looking to jump the shallow routes that torch our said blitzes. You’re welcome baker
Also, one of the moments that made me sick to my stomach was when tracy howard jumped that dumb *** widereceiver screen long pass route and housed it, and the penn disgrace morons got mad at em, and started phucking up his playing time/career after that cause those dumb ****'s think you suppose to dance with the blockers all day.

It made just as sick to my stomach when uncle fester/skelator or clappy tried to criticize devin hester for that kick-off return he had against duke, where he basically ran back and forth thru they whole squad than eventually scored and I said way back than, in regards to the incompetent one, STFU byytttch and enjoy Greatness". I highly doubt fester ever returned a kickoff or punt his life, he'll did he ever even get picked, growing up, for any team.

Advertisement
Through three games:

Our opponents have scored 7,6 and 3 first half points.
We are 13th in 3rd down D
We are 3rd in TFL
We are 13th in sacks
We are 14th in scoring D

You can go back to arm chair DCing now.

Stats dont lie but sometimes they dont tell the WHOLE truth either.

Stats dont lie but sometimes they dont tell the WHOLE truth either.
Everything has context. Sometimes numbers get inflated by playing against inferior teams. Sometimes statistics look worse than the actual game performance because you gave up a ton of yards in garbage time. Sometimes you give up a ton of yards but your defense bows up in the red zone. Sometimes you give up very few yards but the opponent keeps getting great field position and easy scores.

Death by a thousand papercuts.

Advertisement
Back