Baker: play calling or scheme?

Through three games:

Our opponents have scored 7,6 and 3 first half points.
We are 13th in 3rd down D
We are 3rd in TFL
We are 13th in sacks
We are 14th in scoring D

You can go back to arm chair DCing now.
I remember we had a tremendous D in 2017 as well, until we played Clemson.

Advertisement
I remember we had a tremendous D in 2017 as well, until we played Clemson.

Defense sucked that night, for sure. But it doesn't exactly help your defense when this is what your offense does in the first half of a football game:

3 plays and punt
5 plays and a missed FG after recovering a muffed punt
3 plays and punt
6 plays and punt
3 plays and punt
6 plays and punt

And....that's the half.

Again, they had 3 long TD drives. Can't happen again. But you're not going to win too many football games with 5 punts and a missed FG on 6 first half possessions.

I've got a few silver dollars that say our offense won't do that again on Saturday night.

Defense sucked that night, for sure. But it doesn't exactly help your defense when this is what your offense does in the first half of a football game:

3 plays and punt
5 plays and a missed FG after recovering a muffed punt
3 plays and punt
6 plays and punt
3 plays and punt
6 plays and punt

And....that's the half.

Again, they had 3 long TD drives. Can't happen again. But you're not going to win too many football games with 5 punts and a missed FG on 6 first half possessions.

I've got a few silver dollars that say our offense won't do that again on Saturday night.
I never buy that excuse, ever. We put up 47 points on Louisville few weeks ago and they scored 34 points. The defense's job is to stop the opponents offense. They were getting torched regardless of what the offense does. If your defense is great and your offense is bad, u get low scoring games. Same excuses I heard from Al Golden and No D. Our fan base has gotten into the habit of just making excuses. We have an average defense. Those rankings mean nothing to me. UAB, UL and FSU all moved the ball on us.

Advertisement
Your still in 2017, That's the problem!
I'm not, but I don't like when people be quoting stats. When u can pad stats. So i used that year as an example. The questions about our defense is a legit one for this year. Our defense is average and they were similar in 2019, since Baker came here. This game will either build him up or people will start calling for his head and then we will see if Diaz is only about winning or loyalty like Richt and Golden.

That's not an "approach", that's just how we play defense.

For those that think this is a good idea, let me remind you that good OC's will gladly take EVERYTHING IN FRONT OF YOU the entire way down the field. You will die a slow death.

The logic of giving up easy throws all game in an attempt to prevent a deep ball is soooo anti-Miami. It's the soft, paranoid, scary approach to playing defense. It's asking to be nickel-and-dimed to death. The result will be a QB that goes 17-17 passing in the first half. (like the last time we played Clemson)

The further, lower percentage throws are OUTSIDE and VERTICAL. You want to take away all of the easy throws and dare the offense to throw outside/vertical...where it's lower percentage and you have help from the sidelines.
If you're gonna give up stuff underneath then you're forcing your guys to make tackles in the open field. Against elite skill players that's going to be tough.

Sounds like you are describing the Miami 4-3. Every defensive scheme has a weakness. The Miami 4-3's vulnerability is the sideline throw over the shoulder. It is a low percentage throw for most QBs. Unfortunately I don't think Lawrence has a lot of problems hitting that, but I'd still take my chances. I think you have to beat Lawrence with the same strategy that the Giants used on Brady back when NE was undefeated in 2008. For those that don't remember the strategy -

Rush 4, play coverage. Our DC has the exact opposite philosophy and will blitz incessantly.

Rest of the story is run the ball, TOP, and limit Lawrences scoring opportunities. Don't let Clemson hit those big plays by blitzing and letting a WR get behind the defense.

Lawrence (and Brady) are just too good and will kill you for blitzing. Miami has enough of a pass rush that it doesn't need to gamble with the blitzes.

I'm not, but I don't like when people be quoting stats. When u can pad stats. So i used that year as an example. The questions about our defense is a legit one for this year. Our defense is average and they were similar in 2019, since Baker came here. This game will either build him up or people will start calling for his head and then we will see if Diaz is only about winning or loyalty like Richt and Golden.
Well our def thrives when have great safety play! We have good/great play right now. I think if he cut out da delayed/exotic blitzes we would be an even better defense.

Well our def thrives when have great safety play! We have good/great play right now. I think if he cut out da delayed/exotic blitzes we would be an even better defense.
Baker job is easy this year. We dont need a great D to win games. Making key stops and turnovers is all he needs to do. Let's see.

Advertisement
Baker job is easy this year. We dont need a great D to win games. Making key stops and turnovers is all he needs to do. Let's see.
Our Canes need a better D than what we have seen to truly be competitive against for a run at the ACCCG don't you think?

Again, they aren't terrible or sub-par even, but are they up to meet the Clemson and UNC challenge? We'll get our first look soon enough.

Go Canes.

"Average".

Advertisement
Our Canes need a better D than what we have seen to truly be competitive against for a run at the ACCCG don't you think?

Again, they aren't terrible or sub-par even, but are they up to meet the Clemson and UNC challenge? We'll get our first look soon enough.

Go Canes.
I'm hoping for bye week enlightenment... and that the Gatorade bath Baker got helped to exorcise the sleepy demons that have been possessing his lame ***.

We are giving up 377 yards per game? what do you call that? Average, above average, good at best
Good question with different answers across eras.

Obviously years ago it would indicate a big loss for the D who gave that muvh ground.

It feels like in todays game, with the rule sets heavily skewed towards O, 377 yards is a halftime stat.

At some point the defenses will find the right scheme for the right "types" of players to swing the pendellum a bit back.

Do the fans want arena football? Not saying its bad or good, but is that what we all want to see on the field?

I never buy that excuse, ever. We put up 47 points on Louisville few weeks ago and they scored 34 points. The defense's job is to stop the opponents offense. They were getting torched regardless of what the offense does. If your defense is great and your offense is bad, u get low scoring games. Same excuses I heard from Al Golden and No D. Our fan base has gotten into the habit of just making excuses. We have an average defense. Those rankings mean nothing to me. UAB, UL and FSU all moved the ball on us.

Imagine crying about an offense "moving the ball" in the year of our Lord, 2020. Couldn't be me.

We've given up 7, 6, and 3 points in the first halves of our first 3 games. 5.3 PPG in the first half is 7th in the country. I'll go out on a limb and say if we average giving up less than 6 points in the first halves of our games, we're gonna have a pretty successful season.

Advertisement
Imagine crying about an offense "moving the ball" in the year of our Lord, 2020. Couldn't be me.

We've given up 7, 6, and 3 points in the first halves of our first 3 games. 5.3 PPG in the first half is 7th in the country. I'll go out on a limb and say if we average giving up less than 6 points in the first halves of our games, we're gonna have a pretty successful season.
There's more to this though. We're not giving up points in the second half because the defense is worn out. We're giving the up because we're getting younger players game experience.

We could not stop UL in the 4th quarter.

We could not stop UL in the 4th quarter.

They've got a pretty good offense and never came closer than 13 points after the Knighton TD with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. It happens.

I'm so old I can remember when we nitpicked the defense in losses. Now it's in 13 point wins. What a time.

That's not an "approach", that's just how we play defense.

For those that think this is a good idea, let me remind you that good OC's will gladly take EVERYTHING IN FRONT OF YOU the entire way down the field. You will die a slow death.

The logic of giving up easy throws all game in an attempt to prevent a deep ball is soooo anti-Miami. It's the soft, paranoid, scary approach to playing defense. It's asking to be nickel-and-dimed to death. The result will be a QB that goes 17-17 passing in the first half. (like the last time we played Clemson)

The further, lower percentage throws are OUTSIDE and VERTICAL. You want to take away all of the easy throws and dare the offense to throw outside/vertical...where it's lower percentage and you have help from the sidelines.
If you're gonna give up stuff underneath then you're forcing your guys to make tackles in the open field. Against elite skill players that's going to be tough.

There's two really weird things about our approach to defense.

Most teams offenses are built these days to nickel and dime you to death. Just a few short years ago our fans used to clown on a team like Clemson as that was the staple of their offense. It isn't some gimmick, it's what kids are doing at the high school level and the staple offense all the way to the NFL. As you said, offenses will take everything you give them and kill you with it.

The second thing is that we have CB's who are physical enough to mix it up on the line. We've got safeties who can get there to help. We need to disrupt the flow of the passing game, with offenses like this. Will we, haven't yet, but get those guys up there and let them work.

Trevor can throw it all over the place. Make him earn it down the field. We give up all the underneath short **** we've been giving up they'll grind us to death.

Advertisement
Back