Bags aren't the problem

They became worse (generally) as their careers progressed. And a lot of them washed out by 2010.
10 years from now when we're still sukkin yall still gone be blaming Shannon! We opened the 2010 season ranked in the top 10 in certain polls, and had someone told ANY UM fan before the start of the season that we would finish with a 7 win season and Shannon would be fired afterwards none of us would have believed them, Yet here we are **** near 10 years and 3 coaches later yall still BLAMING SHANNON!

Advertisement
Bags aren’t the answer at Miami because we don’t have the booster network.

Plain and simple.

Our most rabid fans that post here, most don’t go to games, most don’t contribute a red cent to the program, and a significant majority of the ones that do go to games, complain about $20 parking. They occasionally buy $20 T-shirts. That’s the extent of their financial commitment to the program.

We’ve actually had several long time posters here, argue vehemently about not funding the athletic program.

If that’s our fanbase, what do you think the booster network is. I’ll tell you what: nonexistent.

This. Yet people still don't listen. They say they shouldn't have to contribute to coaching salaries, the IPF, etc. You get what you pay for. That's life.

10 years from now when we're still sukkin yall still gone be blaming Shannon! We opened the 2010 season ranked in the top 10 in certain polls, and had someone told ANY UM fan before the start of the season that we would finish with a 7 win season and Shannon would be fired afterwards none of us would have believed them, Yet here we are **** near 10 years and 3 coaches later yall still BLAMING SHANNON!

I partially blame Shannon. I hold him responsible (fairly or perhaps unfairly) for damaging relations with various high school coaches that Al Golden and Mark Richt had to repair. The quote that I remember reading by an anonymous NFL scout that Shannon's Hurricanes were the worst coached team in college football also springs to mind.

But I also hold the administration to blame. They put Randy on a pauper's budget just as the college football arms race was beginning to escalate. We were left ten years behind other competing schools when it came to staffing, nutrition, and facilities. Even Randy said that the same couches that were in the Hecht center when he was a player were still there when he was a coach. Golden was able to get a bit more funding from the school, and Richt a lot more. But Randy was put at a disadvantage from day one.

Bags aren’t the answer at Miami because we don’t have the booster network.

Plain and simple.

Our most rabid fans that post here, most don’t go to games, most don’t contribute a red cent to the program, and a significant majority of the ones that do go to games, complain about $20 parking. They occasionally buy $20 T-shirts. That’s the extent of their financial commitment to the program.

We’ve actually had several long time posters here, argue vehemently about not funding the athletic program.

If that’s our fanbase, what do you think the booster network is. I’ll tell you what: nonexistent.

I think we will start to see upticks in booster activity if we win. Money in Miami follows who is winning. Even the marlins were selling out when they went to the WS.

I also think that we are a relatively young university I. E. Not enough dead people to donate cash or old people who made their money and have the change to spare.

Another factor I think is tuition. FSU and uf are what 7 grand a year??? And Miami is 45ish? Average UM grad comes out with 200k in debt while state school is 30k. Then throw in interest our discretionary income even if we make more is less until a few years down the road coupled with the fact our enrollment is about 10k which is a third of the 30 plus thousand of uf and FSU. We are at a disadvantage no doubt.

Advertisement
I think we will start to see upticks in booster activity if we win. Money in Miami follows who is winning. Even the marlins were selling out when they went to the WS.

I also think that we are a relatively young university I. E. Not enough dead people to donate cash or old people who made their money and have the change to spare.

Another factor I think is tuition. FSU and uf are what 7 grand a year??? And Miami is 45ish? Average UM grad comes out with 200k in debt while state school is 30k. Then throw in interest our discretionary income even if we make more is less until a few years down the road coupled with the fact our enrollment is about 10k which is a third of the 30 plus thousand of uf and FSU. We are at a disadvantage no doubt.
Good logic. Plus don't forget that they each "graduate" 3-5x our number every freakin year.

There are several reasons why we don’t have the big money secret booster support that SEC schools have, which is how bags are distributed. Yes, having low enrollment compared to the big SEC schools, which have 5 to 6 times the enrollment of Miami, makes a huge difference.

There are several other factors as well. But do not discount the fickle nature, and the entitled attitude of many in our fanbase. Again, check this particular fan site out. How many people are here that post, that claim to be fervent fans, contribute anything in the slightest? I bet you can count on your left hand how many there are.

Now, I’m not trying to blast CIS posters and readers, but what I am saying is that this is symptomatic and representative of our fanbase. So out of the small, pennypinching pool of fans, how can we expect to have big pocket boosters that are willing to throw money at recruits, knowing that they will get zero return on their investment personally, and knowing they have no recourse if the recruits don’t sign.

The only solution for Miami, is if there is a calling to judgment of the other schools that are basically paying six-figure salaries for their top athletes to play at their school. Not every athlete, but in every class there are several for the SEC schools that are getting paid large amounts. As long as Emmert is in charge of the NCAA, it’s not going to happen. He is literally an SEC puppet. We all know the kids/families are from South Florida that got broke off. Word on the street is a powerful thing.

Then we have, and I don’t mean offense by this, the idiocy of the OP premise that bags don’t make a difference.

Would we recruit better if we were winning more, say if we were winning 10-12 games most years? Well of course we would. But guess what? We would still lose the top South Florida guys to SEC bags. And unless you’re recruiting at that type of level, it’s a whole lot harder to make the 4 team playoffs.

Who are the high 4 stars , and 5 stars, that we get from South Florida? The only ones we get our guys like Duke Johnson and Trajan Bandy, guys that bleed orange and green from the time they were in the crib. Guys who commit and then don’t waver. Also the high character super athlete like Lorenzo Lingard, who isn’t dirty.

But as far as the others S Florida five stars, you can almost start kissing them goodbye from day one, especially when they start getting shopped by mom and dad.

Last edited:
There are several reasons why we don’t have the big money secret booster support that SEC schools have, which is how bags are distributed. Yes, having low enrollment compared to the big SEC schools, which have 5 to 6 times the enrollment of Miami, makes a huge difference.

There are several other factors as well. But do not discount the fickle nature, and the entitled attitude of many in our fanbase. Again, check this particular fan site out. How many people are here that post, that claim to be fervent fans, contribute anything in the slightest? I bet you can count on your left hand how many there are.

Now, I’m not trying to blast CIS posters and readers, but what I am saying is that this is symptomatic and representative of our fanbase. So out of the small, pennypinching pool of fans, how can we expect to have big pocket boosters that are willing to throw money at recruits, knowing that they will get zero return on their investment personally, and knowing they have no recourse if the recruits don’t sign.

The only solution for Miami, is if there is a calling to judgment of the other schools that are basically paying six-figure salaries for their top athletes to play at their school. Not every athlete, but in every class there are several for the SEC schools that are getting paid large amounts. As long as Emmert is in charge of the NCAA, it’s not going to happen. He is literally an SEC puppet. We all know the kids/families are from South Florida that got broke off. Word on the street is a powerful thing.

Then we have, and I don’t mean offense by this, the idiocy of the OP premise that bags don’t make a difference.

Would we recruit better if we were winning more, say if we were winning 10-12 games most years? Well of course we would. But guess what? We would still lose the top South Florida guys to SEC bags. And unless you’re recruiting at that type of level, it’s a whole lot harder to make the 4 team playoffs.

Who are the high 4 stars , and 5 stars, that we get from South Florida? The only ones we get our guys like Duke Johnson and Trajan Bandy, guys that bleed orange and green from the time they were in the crib. Guys who commit and then don’t waver. Also the high character super athlete like Lorenzo Lingard, who isn’t dirty.

But as far as the others S Florida five stars, you can almost start kissing them goodbye from day one, especially when they start getting shopped by mom and dad.
True. But we are also in a wealthy area unlike uf and FSU. I mean idk many other schools that got one gift over 16 million. (Thanks carol) or someone like a Shapiro (I know he a rat) but he had no um affiliation and was a Bag man.

True. But we are also in a wealthy area unlike uf and FSU. I mean idk many other schools that got one gift over 16 million. (Thanks carol) or someone like a Shapiro (I know he a rat) but he had no um affiliation and was a Bag man.

🎯🎯🎯 u hit it right on the money. Miami is a wealthy city not to mention it's population is like 4× the size of these college towns.

Everyone wants to be apart of a winning situation. Double digit wins will get us a top class 9/10 times. This narrative that Miami doesn't have any money is naive and a cop out.

Advertisement
B
Bags arent he problem but the next sentence directly contradicts that. Cant make this stuff up.....bags arent the problem but our top prospects got paid lol. Makes zero sense

The point he's trying to make is we won't keep those players home regardless until we start winning consistently. Stevenson was gone no matter what as it seems mom was shopping him to the highest bidder.

I wonder what our program would look like if Nevin never got bagged and turned into Ratatouille. I'm gonna go out on a limb an say we would've kept at least half of the kids that have got away do to "bags"

Bags are real. I've spoken to people on both sides of the transaction. Tyrique Stevenson and others are getting paid. The SEC is cheating and barely hiding it.

But that's not Miami's problem. For the past decade, we've recruited at a Top 15 level. We've produced NFL players at a Top 5 level. And we've played at a Top 40 level.

Let's get some coaches, man. I'm tired of talking about hiring "ace recruiters" to "lock down" South Florida and give us an overwhelming talent edge. I've been guilty of it myself. But it's a waste of time.

Do we need players like Tyrique Stevenson and Jerry Jeudy to compete for championships? Yes. We aren't getting them and we won't be in the title discussion until we do. But how about stringing together two 10-win seasons? Is that too much to ask? How about producing an offense that isn't the second-worst in Power 5?

These kids are getting smarter. Manny Diaz compared it to Kevin Durant going to the Warriors. The elite players travel the country in 7on7s and national camps. Social media has improved the flow of information. Elite recruits know what teams are winning and getting the good players.

Last year, we had our first ten-win season in fifteen years. FIFTEEN YEARS. There are fathers and mothers who had never seen the Canes win double digits. Not coincidentally, we had a Top 10 class. Let's get the most out of guys like Mark Pope and Lorenzo Lingard. That will help our recruiting more than any bag.

Miami is like the dude who goes to the club looking like a scrub, and then complains that the models only hang out with the rich dudes. It may be true, but it has no impact on your situation. Let's get our house in order. We aren't losing to Virginia because Jerry Jeudy got paid.
i had a high school coach tell me "if um wins, kids would stay. other schools have to pay kids to leave sofla and live in their places"

some kids will always leave though. some just want to get away. like anthony solomon just had personal issues he wanted to escape, nothing can be done about stuff like that.

🎯🎯🎯 u hit it right on the money. Miami is a wealthy city not to mention it's population is like 4× the size of these college towns.

Everyone wants to be apart of a winning situation. Double digit wins will get us a top class 9/10 times. This narrative that Miami doesn't have any money is naive and a cop out.

You guys don’t understand the south Florida demographic.

Advertisement

Uhhh I live in south florida, pretty sure I am part of the demographic and pretty sure people who I work with that have never attended UM donated money when we had rose to number 2 in the ranks.... What demographic are you speaking about? You seem to cite the members of this board as "fans" who are cheap but a majority of the people here do not live in SoFla.

I agree with you that a big way to help would be for the NCAA to crack down on the schools paying the big bucks to even the playing field, but we seem to also agree that is unlikely to happen. We will never get 100% of the SoFla guys, there are too many and there are some who legit want to leave, cash involved or not.

Uhhh I live in south florida, pretty sure I am part of the demographic and pretty sure people who I work with that have never attended UM donated money when we had rose to number 2 in the ranks.... What demographic are you speaking about? You seem to cite the members of this board as "fans" who are cheap but a majority of the people here do not live in SoFla.

I agree with you that a big way to help would be for the NCAA to crack down on the schools paying the big bucks to even the playing field, but we seem to also agree that is unlikely to happen. We will never get 100% of the SoFla guys, there are too many and there are some who legit want to leave, cash involved or not.

By demographic I mean that the people with the real money in S FL don’t give 2 fūcks about UM football. I’m talking the big money people.

And they only show up for a big event like maybe Notre Dame. Even then, they’re not going to get their hands dirty. And the ones that might want to get their hands dirty, are the typical south Florida hustler types that would never keep their mouth shut, would drop a dime at the first sign of trouble, and we don’t want them.

Phillip Frost, a decent man, contributes millions to UM, but would never be considered a booster. Has no interest in football.

Our very most loyal fans, the ones who could do shlt and keep quiet, are not wealthy.

Come on man, if you live down here you know what the deal is.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Since 2000

9 wins in a season

2004 - 9 wins - 3rd in recruiting
2005 - 9wins - 8th in recruiting, 12th in '06
2009 - 9 wins - 16th in recruiting, 14th in '10
2013 - 9 wins - 14th in recruiting, 12th in '14
2016 - 9 wins - 22nd in recruiting

10 or more wins

2000 - 11 wins - 7th in recruiting
2001 12 wins - 8th in recruiting
2002 - 12 wins - 5th in recruiting
2003 11 wins - 4th in recruiting
2017 - 10 wins - 12th in recruiting, 8th in '18

I think it's pretty safe to say that getting to 10 or more wins will then result in a top 10 class. Multiple top 10 classes will leave Miami with a championship caliber roster.

The whole "Miami has no money" is false, but even if it were true we are fully capable of getting highly ranked recruits if we win. It doesn't take much to get to 9+ wins in the ACC Coastal. The talent has always been there we have lacked the coaching.

By demographic I mean that the people with the real money in S FL don’t give 2 fūcks about UM football. I’m talking the big money people.

And they only show up for a big event like maybe Notre Dame. Even then, they’re not going to get their hands dirty. And the ones that might want to get their hands dirty, are the typical south Florida hustler types that would never keep their mouth shut, would drop a dime at the first sign of trouble, and we don’t want them.

Phillip Frost, a decent man, contributes millions to UM, but would never be considered a booster. Has no interest in football.

Our very most loyal fans, the ones who could do shlt and keep quiet, are not wealthy.

Come on man, if you live down here you know what the deal is.

Ok that part I agree with, my point was more so that there are people with money that UM can tap if they become a national program, people in Miami always want to be a part of whats hot (like nevin or luke, I know horrible examples because both turned on us but shows that anyone can do it)

Its not like clemson or UGA has a long storied tradition of football excellence (where bama does) but they have created this network where probably a lot of "decent" men are involved. UM will always be a lightning rod because you are right, if we do get a booster providing extra it is wayyyyy extra... yachts, bottle service, girls, and they all do it for clout... FFS Our head coach just pulled up on someones 7 million dollar yacht for a booster event, that does not happen anywhere else...

Ok that part I agree with, my point was more so that there are people with money that UM can tap if they become a national program, people in Miami always want to be a part of whats hot (like nevin or luke, I know horrible examples because both turned on us but shows that anyone can do it)

Its not like clemson or UGA has a long storied tradition of football excellence (where bama does) but they have created this network where probably a lot of "decent" men are involved. UM will always be a lightning rod because you are right, if we do get a booster providing extra it is wayyyyy extra... yachts, bottle service, girls, and they all do it for clout... FFS Our head coach just pulled up on someones 7 million dollar yacht for a booster event, that does not happen anywhere else...

I one hundred percent agree that as Miami improves its record and becomes more nationally prominent, more money will flow into the program through traditional methods. That is, more hurricane club members, more donations, that kind of thing. There is zero doubt that that would happen.

The other kind of money, though, bag money, that’s what I’m referring to on the whole. The only way that works is under-the-radar very wealthy boosters willing to work in the background without any fame, adulation, and attaboys. Very wealthy people, connected business people, that can game the system quietly and stealthily and know to keep their mouths shut. Brother, that ain’t Miami. Those people that might fit that description down here, don’t give a shlt about Miami football.

So what are we left with? The cūnts that ran the luxury rental car company that got Jermaine Grace and AQM suspended for their final season. Those luxury rental car sissy bltches were dropping dimes like the cheap slots in Vegas. Those prolapsed anuses couldn’t fūcking stop talking. Even Shapiro was nothing more than a low rent hustler that got lucky as a grifter...and what did he do at the first sign of trouble? You know the story.

So when I say demographics, this is what I’m talking about. The people with money.

I one hundred percent agree that as Miami improves its record and becomes more nationally prominent, more money will flow into the program through traditional methods. That is, more hurricane club members, more donations, that kind of thing. There is zero doubt that that would happen.

The other kind of money, though, bag money, that’s what I’m referring to on the whole. The only way that works is under-the-radar very wealthy boosters willing to work in the background without any fame, adulation, and attaboys. Very wealthy people, connected business people, that can game the system quietly and stealthily and know to keep their mouths shut. Brother, that ain’t Miami. Those people that might fit that description down here, don’t give a shlt about Miami football.

So what are we left with? The cūnts that ran the luxury rental car company that got Jermaine Grace and AQM suspended for their final season. Those luxury rental car sissy bltches were dropping dimes like the cheap slots in Vegas. Those prolapsed anuses couldn’t fūcking stop talking. Even Shapiro was nothing more than a low rent hustler that got lucky as a grifter...and what did he do at the first sign of trouble? You know the story.

So when I say demographics, this is what I’m talking about. The people with money.

No counter-argument?

Since 2000

9 wins in a season

2004 - 9 wins - 3rd in recruiting
2005 - 9wins - 8th in recruiting, 12th in '06
2009 - 9 wins - 16th in recruiting, 14th in '10
2013 - 9 wins - 14th in recruiting, 12th in '14
2016 - 9 wins - 22nd in recruiting

10 or more wins

2000 - 11 wins - 7th in recruiting
2001 12 wins - 8th in recruiting
2002 - 12 wins - 5th in recruiting
2003 11 wins - 4th in recruiting
2017 - 10 wins - 12th in recruiting, 8th in '18

I think it's pretty safe to say that getting to 10 or more wins will then result in a top 10 class. Multiple top 10 classes will leave Miami with a championship caliber roster.

The whole "Miami has no money" is false, but even if it were true we are fully capable of getting highly ranked recruits if we win. It doesn't take much to get to 9+ wins in the ACC Coastal. The talent has always been there we have lacked the coaching.

Advertisement
Back