Avoiding the Portal trap

Advertisement
I like King and hope he heals well enough to compete but, N'Kosi with the Lashlee offense might have done as well or better. These one and done guys are a temporary fix to serious recruiting and coaching problems. Our great teams developed depth, current team is looking outside too much and making potential problem players starters and not developing our committed Canes that have been with us since day one. Current staff seems to lean too much on these portal players whereas we recruit well and develop none.
Lashlee’s offense is a better fit for Perry than Enos’ but no, he’s not a better option. He’s had great games in the past only to come out and look like trash the next week. His accuracy is far below average and he’s just too inconsistent to rely on for more than a game. And I was a big fan. I love the big arm and the way the ball explodes out of his hand with a quick flick but the touch just isn’t there.

As for transfers, it’s an unfortunate combination of totally ignoring some spots during recruiting and guys leaving here early by the boatload. The roster has been really unbalanced for a while and they’ve needed stop gap players to fill those holes. Just look at DE. Our starters this year should have been Garvin and Rousseau but one guy left for the draft early for no reason and the other guy sat out. Our best defender, Phillips, was supposed to be a backup. It’s fine to play a handful of freshman and sophomores, especially if they’re surrounded by older guys. But when you have to rely on young guys at half your positions, you’re going to struggle. Hopefully recruiting can keep on this upward trajectory and we’ll finally be able to fill out the roster and replace guys with guys we recruited who have been in the system for a few years and are ready to contribute. I’m not holding my breath but maybe we can finally convince some guys to actually stay here for four years too instead of leaving the first second they get a chance.

We can’t rely on transfers. Coaches need to evaluate and develop talent. Jury is still out of Diaz at some key defensive spots.

This is true until the NCAA allows one time transfers to not use counters...free agency. This would allow a kid to sign with Nebraska play a few games in year one then transfer to Miami because he hates the winter months.

Advertisement
I think the positive outweighs the negative. Transfers can help get us to 85. A grad transfer would typically be a one year rental, but obviously an underclassmen might stay longer - Bolden for example. We thought we’d get more than a year out of Phillips. And if we have kids transfer out, we’ll need to replace them.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don’t at this point.

What teams with strong cultures are taking character risks out of the Portal?
you beat me to it ... the portal is a part of recruiting now ... all schools have a transfer ... osu just balled out with a transfer at running back, lsu won a natty with a transfer at qb ... the portal belongs to the streets, not just mediocre teams

We can’t rely on transfers. Coaches need to evaluate and develop talent. Jury is still out of Diaz at some key defensive spots.
Man your dumb as **** if you don’t think transfers is the new normal and a MUST in terms roster management....

what better way to plug unexpected NFL early departures, injures( remember malek and AR15?), or being able to help cover a bad recruiting class whole.

portal is a great equalizer if used properly.... fill holes with developed players who you can legit pick to fit your scheme...

I mean how many total portal guys are going to be available for us to take this year? Do we even know? Is the NCAA ever going to make a fūcking ruling on this, counters, etc?

The ncaa meets mid-January to vote on it.

We still don’t have room for the 21 or 22 we have signed. Assuming the ncaa allows one time transfers, Miami could see some kids depart which will free up space for in bound transfers.

Advertisement
What teams with strong cultures are taking character risks out of the Portal?
I don't know. Can't answer that question.

My point was that the whole "how will the locker room feel" about a HS kid or portal kid isn't a thing a strong team and HC worry about at the top of the list. Can that player help you win, does he make your team better, does he perform better than what you're getting from the players you have? Specifically speaking, at the WR position, why would you worry yourself about that if you are severely lacking in production that area?

Hill was the exact player here he was at VT. A decent lineman who would occasionally flash a nice play. For some reason this board hyped him up to be some kind of star when he never was anything special. He was a stop gap fill-in who did an adequate job. Similar to Jarrid Williams this year. Most grad transfers from P5 schools are going to fit this description. If they were stars, they’d be declaring for the draft. If you’re trying to find a grad transfer star, you have to go the small school route. A guy like KJ Osborn was productive at Buffalo but wanted the chance to prove it against big school competition. The problem with the small school grad transfers is that for every KJ, you get a Tommy Kennedy. The risk/reward is much higher. I’m talking strictly grad transfer here, not everybody in the portal. Guys who have been in college at least 3 years and are transferring for one final season.
the risk reward shouldn’t be much higher. there’s plenty of info on a guy after 3-4 years of college. if the risk seems higher, it’s because our staff didn’t evaluate kennedy well. since we have historically not evaluated well on Ol, it’s not particularly surprising.

The people who are late to the party in realizing the portal is what is going to even the playing field on the college landscape and prevent the same 4 teams from being in the CFP every year..are the same people who wanted us to stick with the pro-style/I-formation offense 3-4 years too long.

We have to evolve quickly and realize a good thing when we see it right in our faces. Manny has done that. He jumped the gun on the positives of getting portal guys. Everyone else is just catching up. You want to fast track the gap in talent between us and Clemson? This is how you do it.

Advertisement
When you sign a guy for one year, the only real risk comes from character. It's already a tense situation with an outsider walking into playing time. The wrong fit can really hurt your locker room.

Now that we're a transfer destination, I hope we prioritize guys like KJ Osborn. Don't take shortcuts on character. Some guys are in the Portal for a reason.
Been saying it since day 1. It's hard to build a culture if you're constantly shuffling new names in, and the guys you've recruited aren't developed and are pushed aside. All but ~13 guys on the roster are Manny's guys. Excuses are OVER.

By all means they did with DeAndre Johnson and Ty would as well.

Is this Tyrique thing a real thing or just speculation? I don't think Barry is enough of a jackass to just put pure speculation out there without something to back it up.

Advertisement
As long as we get replacements for Ivey, Wiggins, and Pope we did well. The OP makes it sound like kids in the lockerroom are scared they're gonna get benched for players who actually execute at their positions.

Advertisement
Back