Avoiding the Portal trap

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
When you sign a guy for one year, the only real risk comes from character. It's already a tense situation with an outsider walking into playing time. The wrong fit can really hurt your locker room.

Now that we're a transfer destination, I hope we prioritize guys like KJ Osborn. Don't take shortcuts on character. Some guys are in the Portal for a reason.

Advertisement
Speak up a little bit $$$. Who you talking about?
Nothing specific. I'm just seeing a ton of names fly into the Portal. It's going to be crazy.

I love transfers because they're physically mature and easier to evaluate. Manny has been batting a high percentage with them. I just hope we stay disciplined and keep high standards, both talent-wise and in terms of fit.

Advertisement
Advertisement
You also have to make sure that it's going to be a ******* competition no matter what and that best player will play. They need to break out of their default of just giving older players all the PT. But we've brought in a few transfers that don't end up playing. That's important to show the team that when you come here you come here to win, and if you're not getting it done, someone else will.

But yeah I agree you don't wanna bring in any headcases with 1 year of eligibility left. In fact you probably don't wanna bring in anyone that isn't going to mesh with the lockerroom regardless. It's important to know why guys are transferring. Like is that transfer going to be all about just raising his draft profile? That's fine and all but they gotta be more like King and Osborne than just someone really selfish trying to make money and **** who wont care about the team or winning...

Advertisement
Guys are taking L's to shlt holes like OK State and attacking fans while in said locker room 15min after a game.

The locker room is never going to be amazing when you have a fan masquerading as a head football coach or when you force kids to wear tacky touchdown rings when you are down 7-21 in 2nd quarter

Advertisement
I’m not a fan of the 1 year transfer types except in emergencies - add a CB, a K, no problem. A Bolden or Phillips, those kids had years to play so that’s more like a juco addition and honestly, wish we did more of that.

The challenge with one year guys is they help for that year, but our problem is multi- year and they can slow the development of younger guys almost by definition.

the portal itself is just a way to advertise your interest in transferring. My comment on transfers is going to sound a lot like my comments on recruiting - evaluations matter a lot. Like D$ says, there’s a reason they’re transferring. At least with Jucos, they have to transfer.

But glad to see the discussion on evals in all forms ... so +1.

The Portal will become less important to Manny if he continues to improve his W-L record and recruits at an elite level. With another two strong recruiting classes (after the '21 class), Manny could start relying less on the Portal.

This year and in prior year's it's been critical for shoring up roster deficiencies. We might have had a losing record this year without players such as King, Jaelan & Roche. You do have to be careful about team chemistry but it would have suffered much more this year if we'd had a losing record half way through the season.

The Portal is a very valuable tool for Manny and he's done very well with it.

I like King and hope he heals well enough to compete but, N'Kosi with the Lashlee offense might have done as well or better. These one and done guys are a temporary fix to serious recruiting and coaching problems. Our great teams developed depth, current team is looking outside too much and making potential problem players starters and not developing our committed Canes that have been with us since day one. Current staff seems to lean too much on these portal players whereas we recruit well and develop none.

Advertisement
Back