Avoiding the Portal trap

Advertisement
I like King and hope he heals well enough to compete but, N'Kosi with the Lashlee offense might have done as well or better. These one and done guys are a temporary fix to serious recruiting and coaching problems. Our great teams developed depth, current team is looking outside too much and making potential problem players starters and not developing our committed Canes that have been with us since day one. Current staff seems to lean too much on these portal players whereas we recruit well and develop none.
I love Kosi, great kid who’s grown up before our eyes and the dude is an absolute gamer, but we know on the field he is a high level backup for us. Kosi plays a valuable role, but D’Eriq is QB1.

This is the only thing Manny has been good at from a roster building standpoint. Besides Tate, everyone has worked out on character. Even Hill.
Ah yes... the memorable play of Kennedy. Dominant OL if there ever was one.

That RB from Auburn... Martin? He lasted on Manuela's squad about 30 secs longer than Super Mario lasted on Golden's staff.

However, I will admit TP gets under Manuela have contributed more than not as starters.

Obviously that is an unfortunate comment on growing recruita, but for another thread.

Also, Miami's TP losses overall haven't exactly lit up the football world.

Nothing specific. I'm just seeing a ton of names fly into the Portal. It's going to be crazy.

I love transfers because they're physically mature and easier to evaluate. Manny has been batting a high percentage with them. I just hope we stay disciplined and keep high standards, both talent-wise and in terms of fit.

I mean how many total portal guys are going to be available for us to take this year? Do we even know? Is the NCAA ever going to make a fūcking ruling on this, counters, etc?

Advertisement
Some of the biggest stars in college football happened because of the portal. Burrow, Fields, Mayfield, Kyler, Hurts, Russel Wilson, Cam Newton, King. And that’s just a handful of names at the most important position in football. You won’t bat 100% but if you can get guys who have character, add them.

When you sign a guy for one year, the only real risk comes from character. It's already a tense situation with an outsider walking into playing time. The wrong fit can really hurt your locker room.

Now that we're a transfer destination, I hope we prioritize guys like KJ Osborn. Don't take shortcuts on character. Some guys are in the Portal for a reason.
Wiggins and Pope cannot be the starters next year so MOAR PORTAL WRs

This is the only thing Manny has been good at from a roster building standpoint. Besides Tate, everyone has worked out on character. Even Hill.
Tate’s character wasn’t the issue with him either. Players and coaches both talked about how hard he worked. He switched to WR for a short time because he wanted to help the team any way he could. Just turns out he wasn’t any good at QB or WR

That RB from Auburn... Martin? He lasted on Manuela's squad about 30 secs longer than Super Mario lasted on Golden's staff.

However, I will admit TP gets under Manuela have contributed more than not as starters.

Obviously that is an unfortunate comment on growing recruita, but for another thread.

pretty sure martin was richt

Advertisement

Advertisement
honestly, when it comes to high school kids, we don't have much we can point to in terms of developing players into high draft picks -- TE being the lone exception. and we're recruiting against teams that do have those histories -- this is why our recruiting pitch is all "make the crib great" style messaging. we're not selling leonard taylor and james williams on being the next in line at an NFL factory, let's be real. vince wilfork and sean taylor were a long *** time ago.

but when it comes to transfers, manny can point to very recent success of talented guys coming in, getting lots of playing time, and -- w/ KJ osborn, jaelan phillips and maybe even borregales -- getting drafted. and this pitch is only going to get stronger once jaelan goes in the top 50 picks. unlike when we recruit high school kids, there are *not* very many schools, especially at the level we want to be at, who can make the same pitch to kids in the portal. we've built up real equity in the transfer market very quickly and it would be stupid not to use it.

Guys are taking L's to shlt holes like OK State and attacking fans while in said locker room 15min after a game.

The locker room is never going to be amazing when you have a fan masquerading as a head football coach or when you force kids to wear tacky touchdown rings when you are down 7-21 in 2nd quarter
Agreed. For the millionth time, everything starts at the top. As long as Manny the Lisp is our head coach, Blake James is our AD and the pro football elements in the BOT dont initiate a program wide reboot we will be mired in mediocrity and have to endure a purgatory of 7-9 win seasons(based on 12 regular season games and a bowl game).

I would like to see us bring in a guy like Matt Campbell. He is a quality no nonsense type of coach who consistently does more with less, and always has his teams well prepared. When is the last time that we could say that we had a head coach who always had our team prepared and ready to play? When was the last time that we could claim that our head coach could consistently have us competing with teams who out talent us?

This program was built on being innovative and relentlessly using our strengths to beat down the opposition. We have certainly lost our way. Our current MO seems to be a blind dogmatic adherence to some schematic philosophy instead of the simple yet effective philosophy that put us on the map in the first place. That was to use the strengths of our natural recruiting base to build a schematic philosophy instead of what we have been doing which is to take an arbitrary schematic philosophy whatever it may be and attempt to fit the players in our natural recruiting base into it.

The culture of the program flows downstream from this. When you have players who are being coached according to what they naturally do best then it is much easier to get them to buy in. Consequently from that enthusiasm and excitement, hard work and competition will more naturally follow. That hard work and competition becomes part of the culture and from that will come camaraderie and confidence which will influence the character of the team and program in general. Manny the Lisp has in essence been attempting to magically create/reverse engineer the enthusiasm, competition and camaraderie by starting at the end with gimmicks like touchdown rings and gaudy turnover chains. The mentality here is not unlike the Cargo Cults written about by Lamont Lindstrom where natives of cultures unfamiliar with technology thought that acting like or imitating the westerners who brought them technology would somehow magically attract more technology to them. Like someone said here recently, "Everything is backwards at UM".

Advertisement
The portal is a trend every top team will use to upgrade a talent void on the roster. EVERYONE. Only a Incompetent mope will deny the clear advantages. As OP stated you can’t look past fit. The name of the game is results.

OFc the bulk of your roster will be kids you sign out of HS. But this idea that the portal isn’t a sustainable way to upgrade your roster yearly is dumb. Unless the NCAA does away with, (they won’t), this is the quickest way to identify a weakness on your roster, and solidify/ upgrade it.

Why would you panic and sign a marginal talent who u “think” might develop into a player by years 3 or 4 in your program while there’s a physically and frankly emotionally developed youngman who you can have ready day 1 to contribute. It’s a no brainer even for just 1 szn. thats why u see every program trying to take advantage of it to fill a need in a room. As long as we are hitting on a good percentage of the right guys that also produce it should be a major factor in our program yearly

Do you think Hill “worked out”? I don’t.
Hill was the exact player here he was at VT. A decent lineman who would occasionally flash a nice play. For some reason this board hyped him up to be some kind of star when he never was anything special. He was a stop gap fill-in who did an adequate job. Similar to Jarrid Williams this year. Most grad transfers from P5 schools are going to fit this description. If they were stars, they’d be declaring for the draft. If you’re trying to find a grad transfer star, you have to go the small school route. A guy like KJ Osborn was productive at Buffalo but wanted the chance to prove it against big school competition. The problem with the small school grad transfers is that for every KJ, you get a Tommy Kennedy. The risk/reward is much higher. I’m talking strictly grad transfer here, not everybody in the portal. Guys who have been in college at least 3 years and are transferring for one final season.

Advertisement
Back