Athlon preseason prediction

Advertisement
I’m not saying coaching didn’t play a role. But it also comes down to depth. How many times did we get off to a good start in those years and the. Struggle down the stretch. It goes both ways. But ultimately, I don’t think we were as talented and as deep as we needed to be
Those losses under Al wasn’t a question of depth. It was strategy and scheme...

He’d let Coley run his aggressive offense, until he had a lead. At which point he’d start to nurse the lead, running the clock out and playing keep away.

Of course Dno would use the prevent as his base D, so after a few Miami 3 & outs, that lead is gone.

Richt played a similar style, except instead of handcuffing a more talented offense once he got a lead he played the entire game in a phone booth.

If Miami was losing to top 10 or 20 teams every week, I maybe could but the depth argument. But they weren’t.

We’ve out talented the entire coastal, with the exception of maybe 2 seasons, since we joined the ACC.

And yes, talented teams can def lose consistently to lesser teams. All it takes is one incompetent coordinator.
Skill wise yes. Majority of the years on paper u can say this. But up front on the I wouldn’t agree to that. Depth wise we were t were we needed to be

Advertisement
If you as a fan don't expect to win the COASTAL every year then please GTF off this board. If any player on our roster doesn't expect to win the NC every year then transfer. Attitude is everything.

LOL. What a meathead comment*.

You as a fan have nothing to do with the team's on-field success. You shouldn't take much/any pride in the team's accomplishments, as they're not your accomplishments, and you shouldn't feel much/any embarrassment about the team's failures, as they're not your failures. Your "attitude" should be whatever you want it to be. It's your time and entertainment dollar, use them however you see fit.

I do not expect us to win the Coastal every year since we're only 1/15 on that front, and yet, despite your urging me to GTF off of it, I will remain on this board.

*Note that I used meathead as an adjective to refer to the comment, not to you as a person.

We were not where we needed to be to beat top 10 teams, but we had more than enough to beat the teams we played, which were bottom 20.
No. We were no were close to beating a top 10 team consistently. At all. But we were also no where we needed to be to consistently dominate. We need to get out of this mind set that programs like Duke, NC, va tech, UVA don’t have talent on those rosters. Difference is depth and line play. This is not the 80s anymore. Duke has had more QBs drafted since 2010 than us. If you don’t have consistent depth your not gonna dominate a division. That is just proven fact. OFC we have starters who can compete with anyone at the skill spots. But that next 22 has been our problem also to go along with coaching. Weve been to dependent on fresh for too long.

I honestly don't mind the "let's wait and see him prove it on gameday" idea. I seem to remember Richt, Golden, and Shannon garnering a lot of excitement before the crash and burn. Cautiously optimistic at this point. One thing that can't be argued is we have more talent than anyone in the coastal by a wide margin

Advertisement
“This is the year we should win the coastal.”

-the blind Canes fan from 2004-2019

I hate it....but its true.

The sad part is that it hasn't been for lack of talent, just about anything else.

I love all of TNM ****, I really do....but we have to bring it on the field, even the games that we might not give a **** about as much....those have been the all time frustrating ones to see us lose over the years. We have the innate ability to make GT, UVA, Duke, Wake, BC, UNC, etc. look like they truly belong on the same field as us.

I'm hoping Manny has that ability to get these kids serious about consistency and fundamentals.....but cutting your teeth as a first time head coach at Miami like Shannon? It just isn't ideal...I hope he is the exception to the rule.

UM

Last edited:
Advertisement
I can't wrap my head around this prediction. Fuente has been a **** show. Admittedly I don't know much about VA, but I know our defense is legit and pulled out wins last year with a horrific offense. Any offensive improvement and we look like a whole new squad.

No. We were no were close to beating a top 10 team consistently. At all. But we were also no where we needed to be to consistently dominate. We need to get out of this mind set that programs like Duke, NC, va tech, UVA don’t have talent on those rosters. Difference is depth and line play. This is not the 80s anymore. Duke has had more QBs drafted since 2010 than us. If you don’t have consistent depth your not gonna dominate a division. That is just proven fact. OFC we have starters who can compete with anyone at the skill spots. But that next 22 has been our problem also to go along with coaching. Weve been to dependent on fresh for too long.
We had talent on that line under Golden, BTW. Line play dropped off when richt came in. And yes, Dukes QB just went early, but we’re talking about outliers if we bring up a player here or there. But don’t forget, we had 2 consensus top 10 QBs on the roster last year... but their coaching was so bad they couldn’t beat out a guy who won his starting job because he probably wouldn’t throw too many INTs. ****, it took richt 3/4 of a season to figure out how to use kaaya.... a QB who when richt got him was considered a likely high draft choice. Richt screwed that pooch, too.

We out talent the ACC-C by any objective measure... be it drafted players or recruit rankings.... or anything else. I just don’t see how UVA, Duke, or UNC has better depth.

The one spot where those teams have had more talent.... the sidelines. We literally spent 5 seasons using a prevent as our base defense. We followed that up with 3 seasons with a 2 page offense playbook.

We haven’t had depth at times to compete with top 10 teams, no doubt. But Miami has had more than enough talent, top to bottom, to consistently beat uva.

We had talent on that line under Golden, BTW. Line play dropped off when richt came in. And yes, Dukes QB just went early, but we’re talking about outliers if we bring up a player here or there. But don’t forget, we had 2 consensus top 10 QBs on the roster last year... but their coaching was so bad they couldn’t beat out a guy who won his starting job because he probably wouldn’t throw too many INTs. ****, it took richt 3/4 of a season to figure out how to use kaaya.... a QB who when richt got him was considered a likely high draft choice. Richt screwed that pooch, too.

We out talent the ACC-C by any objective measure... be it drafted players or recruit rankings.... or anything else. I just don’t see how UVA, Duke, or UNC has better depth.

The one spot where those teams have had more talent.... the sidelines. We literally spent 5 seasons using a prevent as our base defense. We followed that up with 3 seasons with a 2 page offense playbook.

We haven’t had depth at times to compete with top 10 teams, no doubt. But Miami has had more than enough talent, top to bottom, to consistently beat uva.
My dude kaaya just got exposed his last year. He still had a good year under Richt. The oline was what Richt inherited. Even Golden’s last year our oline was not good. In 2013 our oline was very good. After that it was a down trend and certain positions.

Once again as a fan base we get overtly excited about our talent year after year. And hate to face the reality that we were not quite as good as we thought. I’ve been guilty of this too. But when I watch our team get punched in the mouth up front against perceived lesser opponents I can’t just put that all on coaching. We just haven’t been as good as we thought as fans bro. Bama and Clemson aren’t dominating with 15th ranked classes. They stack top 5 classes together annually replenishing elite with elite. Most noticeable along the lines. Like I said skill guys we are good. But offensive line we need to build more quality depth

Advertisement
I can understand UVA, they now have a really good coach that knows how to maximize talent. That was easily one of the best hires in the last few years IMO.
VT is a joke, from the roster situation to Fuente looking to be suspect.

My dude kaaya just got exposed his last year. He still had a good year under Richt. The oline was what Richt inherited. Even Golden’s last year our oline was not good. In 2013 our oline was very good. After that it was a down trend and certain positions.

Once again as a fan base we get overtly excited about our talent year after year. And hate to face the reality that we were not quite as good as we thought. I’ve been guilty of this too. But when I watch our team get punched in the mouth up front against perceived lesser opponents I can’t just put that all on coaching. We just haven’t been as good as we thought as fans bro. Bama and Clemson aren’t dominating with 15th ranked classes. They stack top 5 classes together annually replenishing elite with elite. Most noticeable along the lines. Like I said skill guys we are good. But offensive line we need to build more quality depth

Scary part is that our current OL could end up being worse than any we've seen recently. We don't know.

Miami fans will point to stars as evidence that we're talented and that the OL will surprise. We do this every year.

Advertisement
Back