Athlon preseason prediction

You're not completely wrong. I understand what you're saying.

But I will offer this:

The reason we haven't won the coastal more often over the past 10 years, is NOT because we lost games to teams we were sometimes LESS talented than, like FSU or Clemson.

It's because we lost to teams were always MORE talented than, and should have beaten, like UVa, UNC, Duke, and GT.

That's the key... winning games you're supposed to win.
The hallmark of our 58 win home record was that we beat teams we were supposed to. In fact, we didn't give unranked teams even an inkling of hope for a win at the OB.

The first sign of rot within a top program is multiple losses to teams you should have beat.

Advertisement
Of course the "experts" are not going to favor us, as they shouldn't. We have plenty talent but we've always been more talented than the teams in the coastal, but we always end up dropping the ball, we just gotta do it fellas.

Richt's decision making & The Onside kick lost us the game. Tito's penalty came out of frustration due to the fact the Defense had been getting stops all game & the offense was simply incapable of making a play when it counted most.

I agree with the Richt part, but I'm not buying the Tito line, the offense had already scored and we just needed a stop to get the ball back, why would he have been frustrated at that point. They had just come off a 90+ yard TD drive.

Not to mention you got rid of what was the best avatar on the site.;)

Hahahahahaha. Great read this morning with my coffee. A lot of the same ****e being said this year as last year in the pre season. I read so many 11-1 predictions last year, 10-2 was popular as well.

This team is really no different than last year except the coaching staff. Now I am a believer that coaching can make a huge difference in the game of football, fact is we don't know what these coaches are going to do with the talent (which I may add is always overrated by our fan base in comparison to other ACC schools)

TNM only goes so far, and it's really not that far to be honest. When there are 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and it's 3rd and 4 and we let a TE stand open in the middle of the field for a 1st down, that is what wins and loses football games. When we can't get a push from our O line on a 3rd and 1, that's what wins and loses football games.

We have lost our fair share to UVA, VT, Duke, GT, Pitt over the years. Can we we the coastal? Sure, but we can just as easily not win the coastal as well. I think it's best we all take a wait and see approach.

Advertisement
That's the key... winning games you're supposed to win.
The hallmark of our 58 win home record was that we beat teams we were supposed to. In fact, we didn't give unranked teams even an inkling of hope for a win at the OB.

The first sign of rot within a top program is multiple losses to teams you should have beat.

this.

Coastal is a mess -- pure and simple

UVA was 1-4 on the road last year and this year over a 5 week period they play
- FSU at Home
- ND Road
- Miami Road

This program has had some of the worst coaching staffs over the last decade or more that I’ve seen ANYWHERE. The talent has suffered because no one wanted to play for these dip****s. I’m hoping Diaz and Enos are a decent improvement. We start winning and we’ll stop getting the Turds and Noles’ rejects.

We should win the coastal every year because every year we've had a more talented roster. That's not being blind. It's a proven fact.
Not every year but yes 4 out 6 years or so we should win it . Every once in a while a UNC or VT will sneak in . But 1 time is silly af.

Advertisement
UVA is trending in the right direction under Bronco. He’s a good coach. Give a guy like that more talent and he’d be a major annoyance in our division.

VT, on the other hand, was an embarrassment last year. They are trending down quickly. Having them over us is laughable.

What is athlon supposed to say with an entire new offensive staff and question marks at QBs.
They are going on past performance. I don't blame them.
I’m personally sick and tired of potential talk over the last 15 years. I freaking hate that word.

UVA is trending in the right direction under Bronco. He’s a good coach. Give a guy like that more talent and he’d be a major annoyance in our division.

VT, on the other hand, was an embarrassment last year. They are trending down quickly. Having them over us is laughable.

UVA is going to be like VT used to be. Always going to play us tough and give us a game regardless of talent disparity

Fuentes turned out to be a big bust and that program will be mediocre for the foreseeable future.

If you as a fan don't expect to win the COASTAL every year then please GTF off this board. If any player on our roster doesn't expect to win the NC every year then transfer. Attitude is everything.
Makes for a good speech, but I'm not telling you how to be a fan, and I don't want to be told how to be one either. Part of the problem with this irrational board is that the posters minds are filled with unrealistic expectations.

The Miami standard should be competing for National titles consistently. Us fans want that, and you would hope the players do as well. But I would much rather be a rational fan who can view the state of the program with realistic lenses and not orange and green ones. And I would much rather the players know how important of a role they play in achieving meaningful success, and not expecting to succeed by entitlement alone.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back