Are we taking to many Commitments this early?

And what is Clemson doing now that they are the new face of college football? Barely taking any 3 stars. Teams take 3 stars when they have no other option.
Wait. Clemson was forced to take 16 3*s last year? The team that played in back to back title games and had been in the playoffs 3 years in a row - then went undefeated and destroyed almighty bama - had no option other than the 16 non blue chippers they signed LAST YEAR. "New face of college football..." lol. No need to keep tap dancing. Just parrot the ol' "Clemson is an outlier not the rule" standard, which the moar starz crew loves to throw out, and move on.

Advertisement
Wait. Clemson was forced to take 16 3*s last year? The team that played in back to back title games and had been in the playoffs 3 years in a row - then went undefeated and destroyed almighty bama - had no option other than the 16 non blue chippers they signed LAST YEAR. "New face of college football..." lol. No need to keep tap dancing. Just parrot the ol' "Clemson is an outlier not the rule" standard, which the moar starz crew loves to throw out, and move on.

They are not the exception. Look when most of those kids committed to them. Look at this years class. If Dabo actually wanted to land a bunch of 3 stars like UNC he would be doing that this year. His class is on track to have more 5 stars than any other team in history.

And what is Clemson doing now that they are the new face of college football? Barely taking any 3 stars. Teams take 3 stars when they have no other option.
That is an insane take. I can assure you no coach, from Saban on down, subscribes to that perspective. To the contrary, programs do their own evals. They don’t recruit based on rankings. You are confusing cart and horse, cause and effect, pretty badly. Rankings catch up with commitments, they don’t lead them.

They are not the exception. Look when most of those kids committed to them. Look at this years class. If Dabo actually wanted to land a bunch of 3 stars like UNC he would be doing that this year. His class is on track to have more 5 stars than any other team in history.
You mean they are “no longer” the exception. When they won their first chip since the Reagan admin - they did it with classes ranked outside the top 10. Waaaay back in 2015, that’s when people were claiming Clemson was an outlier.

Now - narratives change, they are on the verge of signing the best class ever, so *poof* Clemson and bama are the same. Just ignore the fact that last year, after a title, they signed a __________ class (insert any adjective you prefer). I guess it’s impossible that dabo (national champion head coach, author of cfb’s newest dynasty) was a little more bullish on some of those lowly 3*s than mr. 247. No - the only explanation is that he, 10 months ago, simply forgot how to recruit.

Maybe he was sabotaging his own team - we all know dabos dream job is in Tuscaloosa. Good ol southern boy wouldn’t want to keep embarrassing his alma mater.

That is an insane take. I can assure you no coach, from Saban on down, subscribes to that perspective. To the contrary, programs do their own evals. They don’t recruit based on rankings. You are confusing cart and horse, cause and effect, pretty badly. Rankings catch up with commitments, they don’t lead them.

I might be misremembering things - but Wasn’t Thaiu Jones-Bell unrated, or a low 3* when we offered? Plays his junior year, bama comes knocking and now (like magic) he’s a top 15 wide receiver in the country.

Hypothetically - let’s say he’s the same player but, for whatever reason, none of the sec/Clem/ok/osu/etc. come calling and it’s a Miami Syracuse battle. I’m guessing he’s not a top 70 kid in that segment of the multiverse.

Advertisement

yeah thats just not following recruiting at all and following only the sites.

I might be misremembering things - but Wasn’t Thaiu Jones-Bell unrated, or a low 3* when we offered? Plays his junior year, bama comes knocking and now (like magic) he’s a top 15 wide receiver in the country.

Hypothetically - let’s say he’s the same player but, for whatever reason, none of the sec/Clem/ok/osu/etc. come calling and it’s a Miami Syracuse battle. I’m guessing he’s not a top 70 kid in that segment of the multiverse.
I'm pretty sure that's not true, I think Alabama offered him before we did.

I'm pretty sure that's not true, I think Alabama offered him before we did.
You’re probably right w/r/t the timeline (I’m not the biggest recruitnik around). But he was unrated as recently as March. Committed to Bama in May. July he’s top 100. That’s some solid evidence of ethenic’s cart-horse hypothesis.

I am not talking about a couple 3 stars. When teams load up on 3 stars its because they can't get anyone else.

Advertisement
You mean they are “no longer” the exception. When they won their first chip since the Reagan admin - they did it with classes ranked outside the top 10. Waaaay back in 2015, that’s when people were claiming Clemson was an outlier.

Now - narratives change, they are on the verge of signing the best class ever, so *poof* Clemson and bama are the same. Just ignore the fact that last year, after a title, they signed a __________ class (insert any adjective you prefer). I guess it’s impossible that dabo (national champion head coach, author of cfb’s newest dynasty) was a little more bullish on some of those lowly 3*s than mr. 247. No - the only explanation is that he, 10 months ago, simply forgot how to recruit.

Maybe he was sabotaging his own team - we all know dabos dream job is in Tuscaloosa. Good ol southern boy wouldn’t want to keep embarrassing his alma mater.

They had the 8th most 5 stars in the nation with there 2016 class and the best QB in the nation. They are not the exception. That team was loaded with 5 stars.

So explain why, now, that he has the option. He isn't signing a bunch of 3 stars like the rest of the scrubs?

They had the 8th most 5 stars in the nation with there 2016 class and the best QB in the nation. They are not the exception. That team was loaded with 5 stars.

So explain why, now, that he has the option. He isn't signing a bunch of 3 stars like the rest of the scrubs?
8th most 5 stars in the nation. That team was loaded with 5*s... yet another newly fabricated standard to support your revisionist history. 1 sr corner, 3 sophs (ot, wr, dt) and a frosh dt. Loaded?

2012 - 20th 0 10 10
2013 - 15th 1 10 11
2014 - 16th 0 10 9
2015 - 9th 3 9 12
2016 - 11th 1 11 8

Clemson was not recruiting at an "elite" rate until after dabos first chip. No use arguing otherwise.

And, you're the one that has to do the explaining. 18 - "elite" by the "no crappy 3*" measure. 20 - best class ever. 19 - >50% blue chips. Why? You've posited that it's because dabo forgot how to recruit for 1 cycle and was forced to accept commits from bums he didn't want. Sorry, don't buy it.

Advertisement
8th most 5 stars in the nation. That team was loaded with 5*s... yet another newly fabricated standard to support your revisionist history. 1 sr corner, 3 sophs (ot, wr, dt) and a frosh dt. Loaded?

2012 - 20th 0 10 10
2013 - 15th 1 10 11
2014 - 16th 0 10 9
2015 - 9th 3 9 12
2016 - 11th 1 11 8

Clemson was not recruiting at an "elite" rate until after dabos first chip. No use arguing otherwise.

And, you're the one that has to do the explaining. 18 - "elite" by the "no crappy 3*" measure. 20 - best class ever. 19 - >50% blue chips. Why? You've posited that it's because dabo forgot how to recruit for 1 cycle and was forced to accept commits from bums he didn't want. Sorry, don't buy it.

Care to name 8 teams with more 5 stars that year? I will wait.

So basically what you are saying is Clemson NC team didn't have a single class with as many 3 stars as Mannys class this year. Thanks for proving my point.

No one said Dabo forgot how to recruit. He fvcked up. Plain and simple. The guy is going to regret it when that class is seniors. He is making up for it this year. All the Clemson fans accept it. The only people calling that class elite are fans of teams like Miss St and UNC who want to justify their coaches god awful recruiting.

I am not talking about a couple 3 stars. When teams load up on 3 stars its because they can't get anyone else.
You have given up on logic now entirely.

If you cannot point to specific kids we are targeting who we shouldn’t, then trying to aggregate your argument is pointless. You have no actually view on which kids, just an emotional view that 3*s bad. You sound like the recruiting version of an Orange Man Bad NPC.

Manny and co are doing their best in the real world. Some of our 3*s are great prospects, some prolly just ok. There ain’t a lot of 5* targets for them to chase after this cycle, and the season aint even here yet. For the first time in ages, we seem to have a plan, a back up plan, urgency and proactivity. If we have a great year, I have no doubt we’ll pop a few surprises.

You have given up on logic now entirely.

If you cannot point to specific kids we are targeting who we shouldn’t, then trying to aggregate your argument is pointless. You have no actually view on which kids, just an emotional view that 3*s bad. You sound like the recruiting version of an Orange Man Bad NPC.

Manny and co are doing their best in the real world. Some of our 3*s are great prospects, some prolly just ok. There ain’t a lot of 5* targets for them to chase after this cycle, and the season aint even here yet. For the first time in ages, we seem to have a plan, a back up plan, urgency and proactivity. If we have a great year, I have no doubt we’ll pop a few surprises.

WTF is orangeman bad NPC? No one is saying they should be able to load up on 5 stars, however, we shouldn't have given up on the 4 stars and went straight to loading up on 3 stars. ********* first time in ages. People trusted Radio on his specials when he first got here. People trusted Fat AL. People were all over Richt with "florida 3 stars are better than 5 stars in other states". That was parroted all last season as straight fact as if Richt knew more than Saban, Meyer, and the other coaches with actual NCs and playoff appearances under their belt. Then his team of Florida kids got ran out of the stadium by a bunch of 3 stars from Wisconsin.

The 3 star narrative is *********. You can't win NCs recruiting like that.

I have said it many times. I like Manny. I think he is a good coach. However, if he wants to win NCs he is going to need to step up the recruiting. What are all the 3 star suckers going to say when Manny starts landing more 4 stars? " we need to go back to landing all the 3 star gems"? Or will their tune change?

Advertisement
WTF is orangeman bad NPC? No one is saying they should be able to load up on 5 stars, however, we shouldn't have given up on the 4 stars and went straight to loading up on 3 stars. ********* first time in ages. People trusted Radio on his specials when he first got here. People trusted Fat AL. People were all over Richt with "florida 3 stars are better than 5 stars in other states". That was parroted all last season as straight fact as if Richt knew more than Saban, Meyer, and the other coaches with actual NCs and playoff appearances under their belt. Then his team of Florida kids got ran out of the stadium by a bunch of 3 stars from Wisconsin.

The 3 star narrative is *********. You can't win NCs recruiting like that.

I have said it many times. I like Manny. I think he is a good coach. However, if he wants to win NCs he is going to need to step up the recruiting. What are all the 3 star suckers going to say when Manny starts landing more 4 stars? " we need to go back to landing all the 3 star gems"? Or will their tune change?
No offense but you sound ridiculous. You have no idea which kids we are recruiting we shouldn’t be. No idea which kids we aren’t recruiting who we should be. No idea what the reasoning is in either case. All you have is a child’s misunderstanding of the rating services and an emotional scar caused by prior bad corches that you are projecting onto manny.

He may get it right or not. But as I have been pointing out for 18 years around here, it comes down to EVALUATIONS. You have no reason to think manny will be bad at evals just because Shannon was, any more than someone could have thought Coker would be good because Butch was.

Read the recruiting rankings so I can see how many blue chips are in certain teams classes.

Also check how many of them are bag schools and tell us how we should change our recruiting strategy. See you guys are the ones who want to run before you can even crawl. I’m not saying don’t recruit 4* or 5* kids, by all means please continue to do so. What I’m saying is there’s a difference between a realist and a dreamer. Let’s get moving in the right direction, um I don’t know, maybe the Coastal more than once, play in the ACCCG more than once, and then see if that helps us with recruiting. If it doesn’t then fine - change the strategy. Until that time, unless we’re carrying around bags of money....we’re going to land the kids we land right now

Care to name 8 teams with more 5 stars that year? I will wait.

So basically what you are saying is Clemson NC team didn't have a single class with as many 3 stars as Mannys class this year. Thanks for proving my point.

No one said Dabo forgot how to recruit. He fvcked up. Plain and simple. The guy is going to regret it when that class is seniors. He is making up for it this year. All the Clemson fans accept it. The only people calling that class elite are fans of teams like Miss St and UNC who want to justify their coaches god awful recruiting.
Not really. Was Ole Miss one of them?

No. I'm saying Clemson 2016 =/= Clemson 2020. You brought Manny into it - not me (Now you say "I was only responding to a poster saying our class is..."). Dabo can win with a bcr hovering right at 50% while averaging double digit non-bc every year - but Manny having 14 (8 months prior to signing day) is some sort of death knell. Ok...

There is nothing plain or simple about the "dabo fvcked up" hawttaek. How did dabo fvck up? Why? The only people that think Clemson will rue the day they were forced to grovel at the feet of 15 pitiful 3*s is you and (according to you) "Clemson fans."

Do you think we're taking to many commitment this early? We're up to 22 and will likely be 23 next week if Johnathan Dennis got the green light to commit. What happens if we have a big season and high end 4 and 5 star guys become interested and we do not have enough room? I don't think Diaz is the type of person to pull an offer from one of the lower ranked guys.

EDIT. What I'm referring to is the lower tier guys we allowed to commit so early. The Smiths, Washingtons,Branch,Riggins and Hodges. That's 5 Spots that we could have used on the final stages of recruiting if we have a big season. We're about to be at 23 guys if Dennis commits and it's only July.

Your post is logical, but you are asking a bunch of people who consider Diaz a savage recruiter of 3 stars. Here's the logic, lock down the low rated players now, because they are less likely to decommit. That way, when Feb roles around, we should have our positions filled. We won't need to scramble the portal if we have dedicated players from the get go. Diaz has never been a draw for 5 stars. Not at Texas, MSU, or Miami. So, hoping for a bunch to commit to us is a pipe dream.

Advertisement
Back