Are we taking to many Commitments this early?

As much as I'd like to think you can win ships with 3 star players I'm being realistic you won't and OGH is right. Clemson and Alabama are on top because of their recruiting. Both teams are filled with 4 and 5 star players, the top players at their position, it does matter. That's why we get ****ed when we lose one. If we start winning the games we should I believe we will start to keep the great players home. JMO
No real use re-litigating this, but I’ll give it 1 shot.

Maybe both of you are right and a team with a class that has 15 3*s will never win a championship (there’s no way to prove that point, but I understand and appreciate the concern - we all want to win and have the best players). The problems are - 1) the recruiting services are flawed, so the simple, binary, “5* good, 3* bad” take isn’t sound 2) it’s July, of the first year, a little early to be calling coaches/classes trash, and 3) Expecting 2019 Miami to recruit like 2019 Clemson is simply unrealistic... but can we recruit like 2010-2014 Clemson (you know - the classes that all ranked outside the top 10 and had double digit non-bc which ended up laying the foundation for a title)? I think so. Your boy seems to disagree.

Advertisement
Actually you can.

You can say chips or bust, while also realizing that the teams that recruit at a high level are coming closer to winning a chip than teams that sign a ton of 3 stars.

I still claim chips or bust, but I would rather us be a loaded with 5 star team losing in the playoffs every year then a team with a bunch of 3 stars fighting tooth and nail to win the coastal each year.

Your analogy is terrible. Anyone with the correct number of chromosomes can see what is happening. The guy recruited poorly his entire career. Now he is the HC and is still recruiting poorly. If the guy was killing it on the trail at all his stop prior to HC at the U and just did bad his first season. Of course I would give him a break.
How do you predict our season ends up?????

throne-of-lies.gif

I know I said the last one was the last one - but, who do you think said this...

"I know a guy that made over 140 million last year in PE. If you go talk to the smartest HS seniors in the nation and told them. If you take this path you may win a Nobel prize, live in a 4,000 sqft house, and marry a 7. Or you take path 2 and may may 9 figures in 1 year, have multiple 20,000 sqft houses, own fleets of cars, bang dimes on the regular. Which path will you choose. The vast majority are going to pick the 2nd path."

There's more, just from your limited interaction with me. I can only imagine the dreck present in the 9,800 other posts.

But, again (and this time I really super-duper promise), I humbly cede the final word to you - make it count.

I don't know what the argument is about - too much to read- but the GIF has me rolling right now.......

I bet we lose to UF, win the Coastal, lose the ACCCG, and lose a NY6 bowl.

What are you willing to bet? Or..are you simply making predictions in order to play the role of contrarian? For people to take what you have to say seriously you have to be willing to put something on the line.

Advertisement
What are you willing to bet? Or..are you simply making predictions in order to play the role of contrarian? For people to take what you have to say seriously you have to be willing to put something on the line.

Now that sports betting is legal in NJ I will be driving over the bridge and putting money up for all 3 of those games.

I made predictions because I was asked. I didn't just randomly insert them into the thread.

I bet we lose to UF, win the Coastal, lose the ACCCG, and lose a NY6 bowl.
So the same thing as 2017. We just forget about last season and built from. I think that would be a great stepping stone for the future and a solid first year for manny. But we beat UF my gee, we shocking the world on the 24th.

Now that sports betting is legal in NJ I will be driving over the bridge and putting money up for all 3 of those games.

I made predictions because I was asked. I didn't just randomly insert them into the thread.

In the past, you have routinely made predictions even when no one has asked you for your opinion. It is certainly your right & prerogative to do so, but in the case that you happen to be wrong what consequences are you willing to face or own up to? Or..are you Ok with simply taking an 'L' and moving on?

Last edited:
In the past, you have routinely made predictions even when no one has asked you for your opinion. It is certainly your right & prerogative to do so, but in the case that you happen to be wrong what consequences are you willing to face or own up to? Or..are you Ok with simply taking an 'L' and moving on?

The poster literally asked me my opinion so I gave it to him. When I gave my opinion in the past it usually had to do with the discussion. I don't just pop into random threads and say it.

That said, I am going to lose money so that is the consequence.

Advertisement
I can't be bothered to read the whole thread, but regarding the OP: There has never been a year where fans haven't worried about this, and there hasn't ever been a year where it's happened. Like to anybody. There just isn't a team who's had to pass on some stud player because they took some serviceable player earlier in the year. Like not ever. Even if you're full and that dream croot wants to commit, you find a way. No matter what.

What does actually happen every year is that teams slow-play mid-tier players, then lose them when that stud goes to bama or whatever.

So you take the kids you like today if they want to come and you worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

Seems like folks have learned nothing form Whoopi and Byrd and all the others.

Last edited:

Maybe both of you are right and a team with a class that has 15 3*s will never win a championship (there’s no way to prove that point, but I understand and appreciate the concern - we all want to win and have the best players). The problems are - 1) the recruiting services are flawed, so the simple, binary, “5* good, 3* bad” take isn’t sound 2) it’s July, of the first year, a little early to be calling coaches/classes trash, and 3) Expecting 2019 Miami to recruit like 2019 Clemson is simply unrealistic... but can we recruit like 2010-2014 Clemson (you know - the classes that all ranked outside the top 10 and had double digit non-bc which ended up laying the foundation for a title)? I think so. Your boy seems to disagree.

I have never called players or coaches trash. I actually like the coaches, if we have a good year this year I think we are off to the races for the best players. I'm not down on this class either. Yes I know the recruiting services are wrong much of the time, but some players just stick out like the QB for Clemson he was a 5 star for a reason. From the way he played his freshmen year he could be one of the best we will see for years, just possible. Of course you can prove that point just follow the teams that win.

There is no way to prove that a double amputee QB will never win the Heisman. However, most people can see it is not going to happen.

There is no way to prove that a double amputee QB will never win the Heisman. However, most people can see it is not going to happen.

As usual..your logic is fuzzy. Smh. You're presenting a false dilemma in order to undermine the argument that recruiting rankings are flawed.

Advertisement
As usual..your logic is fuzzy. Smh. You're presenting a false dilemma in order to undermine the argument that recruiting rankings are flawed.

Not at all. I am just showing how ridiculous it is to say "well it can't be proven". Of course it can't be proven. Tons of things can't be proven. That doesn't mean it is likely to happen.

No one can prove that a double amputee QB will never be a Heisman winner. Only a complete moron would bet on a double amputee QB to win the Heisman.

No one can prove that a team full of 3 stars can win an NC. Only a complete moron would bet on a team full of 3 stars to win an NC.

This +1000.

Advertisement
Not at all. I am just showing how ridiculous it is to say "well it can't be proven". Of course it can't be proven. Tons of things can't be proven. That doesn't mean it is likely to happen.

No one can prove that a double amputee QB will never be a Heisman winner. Only a complete moron would bet on a double amputee QB to win the Heisman.

No one can prove that a team full of 3 stars can win an NC. Only a complete moron would bet on a team full of 3 stars to win an NC.

The problem is, no one's saying "a team full of three stars will win a national championship." The flaw in your logic is that you can ONLY win IF you bring in class after class looking like Bama's do all the time, and Clemson's will have this year.

Bama's an outlier, and Saban is the greatest ever. That's just an impossible comparison. But Clemson didn't become Clemson until it hired Swinney, and in Swinney's first three full classes he signed 13, 15, and 11 three-stars, respectively.

Adding five-stars is obviously important. But adding depth is equally important, and the first couple classes of Manny look to be attacking both.

So the same thing as 2017. We just forget about last season and built from. I think that would be a great stepping stone for the future and a solid first year for manny. But we beat UF my gee, we shocking the world on the 24th.
Not that I want to lose to Florida, but i'm more concerned about how we play them. I want us to come out and punch them in the mouth. Far too many slow starts under Richt.

The problem is, no one's saying "a team full of three stars will win a national championship." The flaw in your logic is that you can ONLY win IF you bring in class after class looking like Bama's do all the time, and Clemson's will have this year.

Bama's an outlier, and Saban is the greatest ever. That's just an impossible comparison. But Clemson didn't become Clemson until it hired Swinney, and in Swinney's first three full classes he signed 13, 15, and 11 three-stars, respectively.

Adding five-stars is obviously important. But adding depth is equally important, and the first couple classes of Manny look to be attacking both.

That is not what these porsters are saying. They are saying "the recruiting services are wrong. You can take tons of of 3 stars and win an NC". Dabo didn't win schit until he started recruiting better.

Right now we are at 76 scholarship players(George Brown, Jaelen Phillips, Bubba Bolden is counted)

We have 15 Seniors(George Brown is counted)

Which would leave 24 open spots for the 2020 class. I dont see Polendney, Martin, and Dystrkra still around so that is 3 more

Advertisement
Back