Are they actually getting better? Lets go back to Pitt...

Advertisement
Was the 2017 season really nice, except for the ND and Va Tech games? It’s an obsession of mine that might be stupid, but I find that season to still be super overrated by this board. If you take out those 2 games and maybe the Duke game, it’s basically a Randy Shannon/Al Golden season. For God’s sake, even the Bethune-Cookman game in 2017 was a bad game.

I find 2017 to be a meh season that only seems like a good season relative to the **** we’ve endured recently.

If you take out Clemson's wins over Notre Dame and Alabama last year, they really didn't have that good a season. They beat up on a weak ACC, but so what?

^This argument is only slightly less ludicrous than your argument. If you take out the two most memorable games - including a primetime Gameday beatdown vs. a #3 team and an old rival, that moved us into playoff position in mid-November - then yes, 2017 was similar to a Shannon/Golden year. Our 73% win percentage would actually have been better than our win % in any Shannon/Golden year, but yes, similar.

I'm starting to think you are not just some pathetic bitter Canes fan, and instead are an equally pathetic fan of another team that is trolling a rival. I don't know.

If you take out Clemson's wins over Notre Dame and Alabama last year, they really didn't have that good a season. They beat up on a weak ACC, but so what?

^This argument is only slightly less ludicrous than your argument. If you take out the two most memorable games - including a primetime Gameday beatdown vs. an old rival that moved us into playoff position in mid-November - then yes, 2017 was similar to a Shannon/Golden year. Our 73% win percentage would actually have been better than our win % in any Shannon/Golden year, but yes, similar.

I'm starting to think you are not just some pathetic bitter Canes fan, and instead are an equally pathetic fan of another team that is trolling a rival. I don't know.

Adding 2 good games to a Shannon or Golden type season might be enough to make it a meh season. It doesn’t make it a successful season.

And actually, the 2017 season (even with the ND and Va Tech games) was basically indistinguishable from Shannon’s 09 team per FPI. We finished 18th in FPI in 2009 and 17th in 2017.

Last edited:
Was the 2017 season really nice, except for the ND and Va Tech games? It’s an obsession of mine that might be stupid, but I find that season to still be super overrated by this board. If you take out those 2 games and maybe the Duke game, it’s basically a Randy Shannon/Al Golden season. For God’s sake, even the Bethune-Cookman game in 2017 was a bad game.

I find 2017 to be a meh season that only seems like a good season relative to the **** we’ve endured recently.

Ok

Adding 2 good games to a Shannon or Golden type season might be enough to make it a meh season. It doesn’t make it a successful season.

You don't really believe that, right? You're just being a troll?

1) 2017 ex-VT and ex-ND was still BETTER than even the best Shannon/Golden season (73% win pct vs 69%)

2) In college football, 2 games represent 17% of the regular season (and more like 20-25% if you take out the cupcakes). 2 good games is not a small part of a season.

3) Those weren't merely good games. Those were great games. In November, with the division on the line, with legitimate playoff implications, primetime game of the week, College Gameday in town, vs. two rivals, both teams ranked, and one in the top 3. Those are the type of games that define a season. The ND game was like Minnesota's game vs Penn St yesterday. No matter what happens from here on out, Minnesota has had a very good year, with the chance for much more.

Nobody is confusing 2017 with 2001. And we limped to the finish line (figuratively and literally, given all of the injuries to key skill players), with the negative momentum carrying over into the offseason and 2018. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a very good year.

Advertisement
You don't really believe that, right? You're just being a troll?

1) 2017 ex-VT and ex-ND was still BETTER than even the best Shannon/Golden season (73% win pct vs 69%)

2) In college football, 2 games represent 17% of the regular season (and more like 20-25% if you take out the cupcakes). 2 good games is not a small part of a season.

3) Those weren't merely good games. Those were great games. In November, with the division on the line, with legitimate playoff implications, primetime game of the week, College Gameday in town, vs. two rivals, both teams ranked, and one in the top 3. Those are the type of games that define a season. The ND game was like Minnesota's game vs Penn St yesterday. No matter what happens from here on out, Minnesota has had a very good year, with the chance for much more.

Nobody is confusing 2017 with 2001. And we limped to the finish line (figuratively and literally, given all of the injuries to key skill players), with the negative momentum carrying over into the offseason and 2018. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a very good year.

ND was a great game. Was Va Tech really a great game? I’d say very good, not great.

Just look at the other games in 2017. The 31-6 Duke win might be passable as a relatively good game under Shannon or Golden. The other 10 games would basically have seemed like typical games under those coaches. Not good games under Shannon and Golden, but basically typical.

Anyway, the 2005 Miami team (the first year FPI has been retroactivated to) would be favored to beat the 2017 Miami team by 3.2 points according to FPI. At the time, 2005 was seen as a bad season. Shows how much Miami standards have changed.

Last edited:
From a non football perspective, you are all missing one of the most important things. Our S&C coach is potentially elite. This is the time of year when people start going down with injuries due to fatigue and strength drops even for healthy players. We've had few non Contact injuries and our team seems to be maintaining or even gaining strength, which is a pretty hard feat to do in season.

Great fun at Hard Rock last night (except for rain). Walking out of the stadium to cheers of C--A--N--E--S was the way it should be. Canes are going to run FIU out of Marlins Park when the ghosts of the Orange Bowl come calling. We then will take care of the Dukies handily. Hopefully we'll get a decent bowl game and win that too for a very positive ending LETS GO CANES!

Advertisement
That game used to be a typical "trap" game. Even Herbstreit picked Louisville. Too many times in the past we've seen a great win like that at the semenholes, only to not show up the next week. Came out swingin', took a couple of blows, but kept on swingin' (thought you'd like a couple of boxing analogies @k9cane! LOL) and blew them out of The Rock.

I'm hopeful the rest of the season sees continued progress like we've seen the last few weeks.

That game used to be a typical "trap" game. Even Herbstreit picked Louisville. Too many times in the past we've seen a great win like that at the semenholes, only to not show up the next week. Came out swingin', took a couple of blows, but kept on swingin' (thought you'd like a couple of boxing analogies @k9cane! LOL) and blew them out of The Rock.

I'm hopeful the rest of the season sees continued progress like we've seen the last few weeks.

Alright!!! That was good

And yeah, our offense went from being as punchless as Joe Palooka, to at least having a punchers chance

I get our Oline has jelled a bit, but in my view it took Enos too long to go to stuff that we were begging for (more spread concepts, shotgun ,etc). That's what's frustrating about this

Alright!!! That was good

And yeah, our offense went from being as punchless as Joe Palooka, to at least having a punchers chance

I get our Oline has jelled a bit, but in my view it took Enos too long to go to stuff that we were begging for (more spread concepts, shotgun ,etc). That's what's frustrating about this
There were absolutely too many WTF moments on offense even for a novice like myself. Even my wife would ask WTF is he doing? LOL Our solace is that maybe Enos has finally seen the light.

Advertisement
Howard lost to FAMU. Butch lost to ECU, twice. Anything is possible. JJ blew a 30+ point lead to Maryland. I hated those ugly games as much as anyone, but you can't deny there is some improvement happening. I want Manny to succeed, and I have been one of his harshest critics. All is forgiven with improvement.

THIS.

It’s a shame it took them so long to get it together.

Will it last? No one really knows. A rookie head coach got punched in the mouth and lost his composure for a few rounds. He seems to have steadied himself and is fighting back hard. His body language has been much improved on the sideline. It looks like he has weathered the storm and hasn’t lost himself.

His willingness to adapt is a proven commodity and will be his saving grace if he succeeds.

Only thing left is to start closing hard on the trail.

we did more than score against poor defenses

we blocked and protected against outstanding DL talent and production in fsu and pitt

we also stopped a lot of OL penalties. Last two games we've looked like the disciplined well coached OL.

i even saw some progress on ST in the vt game iirc. we were getting in between coverage and our PR but not blocking in the back. we were raising our arms so as to not get called like we did earlier in the year and consequently we're getting some good PR yardage lately.

look, i don't know if this is fool's gold or a mirage but give credit: coaches and players have been doing better.

one sign of a mature mentally strong team is that they execute regardless of the competition. we won't be up all the time but that's when the training and habits of blocking, tackling etc. have to kick in so that we don't play down to an FIU.

Let's see.
The improvement on the OL and tackling have been well covered the past two weeks, but like you said, we've equally had a huge improvement in cutting out penalties.

The stats are actually amazing. The first 5 games of the season saw us averaging 11.2 penalties a game -- worst in the entire country. But the next 5 games has seen that number drop to 4 penalties per game. Complete night and day difference. All the credit in the world to the coaching staff for that one.

Advertisement
15 and 1 start from day one and price kicks from day 1 and we have 2 more wins in the books. Nobody can convince me otherwise. I like the team, they are young and have a future.

that wouldn't be a bad year, in my view both can be true -- the first half of the season was a dumpster fire. The second half, one that gives us hope and something that can be viewed as positive.

Just look at the losses, close to Florida, then 4th and 17 to UNC, losses at home to Vatech and GT(inexcusable) and the thing is with an average kicker, one or two of those are wins.

So close, yet so far.

Just glad there are signs of hope

Depends on how you want to look at it. Dumpster fire is Diaz taking over a 10 win team and we get off to the start we did. Weeding out weakness is taking a 7 win team and finishing on a 6 game win streak going into 2020.

It takes time for a message to sink in. USMC boot camp is 13 weeks. I remember that for the 1st 5 weeks, I "fought the program." I was still thinking too much and acting like an individual, and was getting smoked pretty much every day. Finally around week 6 it all clicked. I stopped thinking and did what I was told, when I was told. The last 7 weeks were super easy compared to the 1st 6. When you have young kids with bad habits who don't listen, it can take some time for the message to get though their thick skulls.

Depends on how you want to look at it. Dumpster fire is Diaz taking over a 10 win team and we get off to the start we did. Weeding out weakness is taking a 7 win team and finishing on a 6 game win streak going into 2020.

It takes time for a message to sink in. USMC boot camp is 13 weeks. I remember that for the 1st 5 weeks, I "fought the program." I was still thinking too much and acting like an individual, and was getting smoked pretty much every day. Finally around week 6 it all clicked. I stopped thinking and did what I was told, when I was told. The last 7 weeks were easy compared to the 1st 6. When you have young kids with bad habits who don't listen, it can take some time for the message to get though their skulls.

Cant argue with that (or you, since you went through the process, lol) but yeah, regardess, it's key to finish strong and create momentum for LOI day and beyond. Here's hoping those early losses for Manny, are what Jimmy had to go through in 84(where that team imploded late in the season), if he was being dead honest, IMO, he'd admit there was an absolute learning curve to being a first time head coach at a marquee program like Miami

The last 3 wins have been lucky. We’ve actually been outgained in total these 3 games.

And, even before the last 3 games, the UVA win was lucky.

I’d be willing to bet that we would have lost the Pitt and UVA games according to Connely’s model 70-80% of the time. We probably would lose the Louisville game about 50% of the time. Even FSU we’d probably lose 25%ish of the time.

Where can you find Connely’s game by game models? I remember slurpers posting it after the Va Tech loss. Of course, they didn’t post the model after the UVA or Pitt games, because that wouldn’t fit their agenda.

And PS nothing worse than 11-1 against this scedule is a “solid” season.

If you want to know who the dumbest poster on this board is, along with the biggest *****, you’ve found him.

Yesterday dude said Miami’s post-win expectancy against Louisville in Connelly’s metrics would be 50%. Meaning we barely played Louisville to a coin flip game.

Today Connelly released his advanced box score for Miami/Louisville and Miami dominated the game so thoroughly, that Miami’s post-win expectancy is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT. Just absolute dominance.

Dude sees it, immediately comes to the board and edits it out of his post.

Forget just how dumb it was. That’s an absolute ***** move.

Advertisement
Back