Are they actually getting better? Lets go back to Pitt...

Great post @k9cane

While we still have a long way to go, we beat two excellent defensive teams in UVA and Pitt, blew out a hated foe on the road, and manhandled a team that was playing well and had previously lost to Notre Dame and Clemson (no shame in those) and FSU on the road. That was a great win.

And we beat Louisville after they came off a bye and we were totally set up for a letdown after beating FSU. No sluggish start this time.
Senior day emotion helped and that should teach Manny a thing or two about preparation and motivation.

Advertisement
in what was another rather dreary and desultory game at Pitt, Miami looked like they were going to lose another game. It didn't look good late, then late in the 4th, Jarren gets the call out of the bullpen, rescues the Canes -- and maybe salvages this season.

Then a week later, he and the Oline put on a steady performance and hit some big plays and the Canes complete the hat trick in Tally

Yesterday, they blow out L'ville. And yeah, I know it's a bad defense, but just about a month ago, they had issues putting up 21 points vs bad teams -- at home. To me, this is progress, being able to move the ball and score points against over-matched teams.

But I feel like that line in 'the Godfather' -- every time I think Im out, they pull me back in!!

Yesterday is what Miami football should be, fun, exciting, entertaining. It was good to see. This is what it can be.

From the Gatech game, it's great to see guys like Wiggins and Ivey step up, young Jarren re-affirm his status as our QB (cue Terrell Owens meme), Oline beginning to show signs, GRo blossom. Im actually very excited again to see the games now, it wont be a chore(and yeah, it was becoming that for me, I can't lie). Before anyone crowns Manny Diaz and this staff, lets see how the rest of this season plays out. Truth of the matter is that even if they win out, which would be great as it relates to recruiting and creating momentum, unfortunately this season to me will be defined by the home losses to Vatech and Gatech, which were inexcusable at home.

Regardless, good to see this recent upswing. The Young Jedi, Jarren, gives me hope.
I think the OL may have been starting to improve in pass protect with Perry, but Perry just couldnt get hot passing, even if he wasnt staring down the rush like Williams. Then they bring in Williams and he throws a game winning TD. Against FSU, the line was again fairly solid, but now Williams isnt staring down the rush so bad and he connects on some nice throws, throwing guys open. Finally against Louisville, not only is the pass protect good, but for the 1st time I can remember, the rush block actually dominates for some stretches of the game. Thats why the game got ugly for Louisville, because Miami ran the ball with some authority. Right now it seems the pass protect is gonna be good enough to get us 24 a game. An okay run block will get us to 31ish and a dominating run block means we can get to blow out levels. Miami's OL has a loooong ways to go before it can be trusted... but 3 solid to great pass protects in a row has got me feeling optimistic about the run coming along against Louisville.

Advertisement
Putting up points against bad defenses is the precursor to putting up points against good defenses. It's a start. We couldn't even do that before.

Also, it makes sense that it's easier to score on bad defenses than good ones. If you can score 25 points on an elite defense, that's pretty good. On a small scale, Pitt had one of the best pass rushes in the country. The Canes OL giving up less than 3 sacks is a huge accomplishment. We didn't score a lot of points, but we also had the lesser of our 2 QBs starting (AND he was injured). The win against FSU was the largest margin of victory in almost 20 years, and it happened on the road. Then Miami obliterated Louisville. It's an excellent trend and I think the "yeah but..." crowd is trying too hard to look for flaws.

So over the past 2 games (I wouldn’t say 3 games since the Pitt game was awful), we’ve improved from the awful football we were playing for most of the season.

Yeah! Hail Manny Diaz! 7 awful FBS games, followed by 2 so-so games!

What an awesome coach!

You’re making it seem like the CMU death match was under a different coach.

Fun guy. You'll go to the greatest lengths to keep the trolling alive. Nowhere was it said "Manny is the guy, #6 bro!". If you don't think nearly losing at home to CMU to whipping FSU and Louisville's *** in the next few weeks isn't an improvement then fine.

Fun guy. You'll go to the greatest lengths to keep the trolling alive. Nowhere was it said "Manny is the guy, #6 bro!". If you don't think nearly losing at home to CMU to whipping FSU and Louisville's *** in the next few weeks isn't an improvement then fine.

Of course it’s an improvement.

I’ll am saying is that Manny was the coach for the awful games earlier in the year. So, he’s really only improving on his own awfulness.

And this “improvement” with coRches always proves to be rather temporary. Remember when Golden “improved” the team in games 7-9 of 2014 and brought 3 straight wins in routs? Did that last?

Advertisement
Team let loose yesterday against a tea m they should have.team has improved some how much don't know Judy is still o ut.have to wait see how good it does against duke and the bowl game.keep rolling this will help recruiting making our progress as a program a better well to the recruits.

Of course it’s an improvement.

I’ll am saying is that Manny was the coach for the awful games earlier in the year. So, he’s really only improving on his own awfulness.

And this “improvement” with coRches always proves to be rather temporary. Remember when Golden “improved” the team in games 7-9 of 2014 and brought 3 straight wins in routs? Did that last?

Very different scenarios. That was years into Golden tenure, mid season then lost out including the bowl game. This is Manny's first and almost everyone has said here Manny has to win out including a bowl win to even begin think of changing their tune on him and the staff.

I keep on seeing this guy getting quoted on this board (although I can't read what it says).

I'm glad I put him on ignore after the first post I saw - obvious troll is obvious.

Team let loose yesterday against a tea m they should have.team has improved some how much don't know Judy is still o ut.have to wait see how good it does against duke and the bowl game.keep rolling this will help recruiting making our progress as a program a better well to the recruits.

In recruiting, Manny is following the Golden and Richt pattern where he starts every recruiting cycle at #1 nationally because he accepts commitments from everybody, including people who are just playing games with UM in order to get offers from other schools.

Advertisement
Just a few weeks ago we were in a death match with CMU. Handling our business against FSU and Louisville is a definite improvement.
Even I wont deny that it's an improvement. However, after that death match with shark-****** it took home losses to a mediocre VT and a dreadful Gt before any of the changes to protection or the pistol we now see were implemented. That month long hesitation is why we are now praying to backdoor our way to Charlotte instead of already having it clinched.

So yea, I'm not going to be first in line to congratulate the staff for doing in late October what should have been done in mid September.

Last edited:
In recruiting, Manny is following the Golden and Richt pattern where he starts every recruiting cycle at #1 nationally because he accepts commitments from everybody, including people who are just playing games with UM in order to get offers from other schools.
Ddifference between the three is under Manny team is showing progress under the other two it regressed during the season.kids aren't stupid if it don't look good they will bolt.

Truth of the matter is that even if they win out, which would be great as it relates to recruiting and creating momentum, unfortunately this season to me will be defined by the home losses to Vatech and Gatech, which were inexcusable at home.

Can I Lob the 4h and 17 grenade into the fold as well? And the 3,417 missed kicks.

Advertisement
Black Raiden thinks Miami is improving

20191110_103517.jpg

raiden-mortal-kombat-animated-gif-2.gif

we did more than score against poor defenses

we blocked and protected against outstanding DL talent and production in fsu and pitt

we also stopped a lot of OL penalties. Last two games we've looked like the disciplined well coached OL.

i even saw some progress on ST in the vt game iirc. we were getting in between coverage and our PR but not blocking in the back. we were raising our arms so as to not get called like we did earlier in the year and consequently we're getting some good PR yardage lately.

look, i don't know if this is fool's gold or a mirage but give credit: coaches and players have been doing better.

one sign of a mature mentally strong team is that they execute regardless of the competition. we won't be up all the time but that's when the training and habits of blocking, tackling etc. have to kick in so that we don't play down to an FIU.

Let's see.

Ddifference between the three is under Manny team is showing progress under the other two it regressed during the season.kids aren't stupid if it don't look good they will bolt.

Manny started this current class at #1. The class has slowly but surely regressed, and now it’s something like #17. The real signing day is next month, and TBH, I suspect we won’t even finish at #17.

The class for 2021 is currently #1, but I’m sure the same pattern will happen again.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back