Are they actually getting better? Lets go back to Pitt...

k9cane

Senior
in what was another rather dreary and desultory contest at Pitt, Miami looked like they were going to lose another game. It didn't look good late, then late in the 4th, Jarren gets the call out of the bullpen, rescues the Canes -- and maybe salvages this season.

Then a week later, he and the Oline put on a steady performance and hit some big plays and the Canes complete the hat trick in Tally

Yesterday, they blow out L'ville. And yeah, I know it's a bad defense, but just about a month ago, they had issues putting up 21 points vs bad teams -- at home. To me, this is progress, being able to move the ball and score points against over-matched teams.

But I feel like that line in 'the Godfather' -- every time I think Im out, they pull me back in!!

Yesterday is what Miami football should be, fun, exciting, entertaining. It was good to see. This is what it can be.

From the Gatech game, it's great to see guys like Wiggins and Ivey step up, young Jarren re-affirm his status as our QB (cue Terrell Owens meme), Oline beginning to show signs, GRo blossom. Im actually very excited again to see the games now, it wont be a chore(and yeah, it was becoming that for me, I can't lie). Before anyone crowns Manny Diaz and this staff, lets see how the rest of this season plays out. Truth of the matter is that even if they win out, which would be great as it relates to recruiting and creating momentum, unfortunately this season to me will be defined by the home losses to Vatech and Gatech, which were inexcusable.

Regardless, good to see this recent upswing. The Young Jedi, Jarren, gives me hope.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I was literally just referencing the Pitt game in another thread but in the angle that it was against a top 10 defense and mayyyyybe that's where the o-line started to turn the corner. I predicted complete destruction that game and instead they only gave up like 1 or 2 sacks and very few hurries.

in what was another rather dreary and desultory game at Pitt, Miami looked like they were going to lose another game. It didn't look good late, then late in the 4th, Jarren gets the call out of the bullpen, rescues the Canes -- and maybe salvages this season.

Then a week later, he and the Oline put on a steady performance and hit some big plays and the Canes complete the hat trick in Tally

Yesterday, they blow out L'ville. And yeah, I know it's a bad defense, but just about a month ago, they had issues putting up 21 points vs bad teams -- at home. To me, this is progress, being able to move the ball and score points against over-matched teams.

But I feel like that line in 'the Godfather' -- every time I think Im out, they pull me back in!!

Yesterday is what Miami football should be, fun, exciting, entertaining. It was good to see. This is what it can be.

From the Gatech game, it's great to see guys like Wiggins and Ivey step up, young Jarren re-affirm his status as our QB (cue Terrell Owens meme), Oline beginning to show signs, GRo blossom. Im actually very excited again to see the games now, it wont be a chore(and yeah, it was becoming that for me, I can't lie). Before anyone crowns Manny Diaz and this staff, lets see how the rest of this season plays out. Truth of the matter is that even if they win out, which would be great as it relates to recruiting and creating momentum, unfortunately this season to me will be defined by the home losses to Vatech and Gatech, which were inexcusable at home.

Regardless, good to see this recent upswing. The Young Jedi, Jarren, gives me hope.
Truth of the matter is that even if they win out, which would be great as it relates to recruiting and creating momentum, unfortunately this season to me will be defined by the home losses to Vatech and Gatech, which were inexcusable at home.

Great post @k9cane

While we still have a long way to go, we beat two excellent defensive teams in UVA and Pitt, blew out a hated foe on the road, and manhandled a team that was playing well and had previously lost to Notre Dame and Clemson (no shame in those) and FSU on the road. That was a great win.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Putting up points against bad defenses is the precursor to putting up points against good defenses. It's a start. We couldn't even do that before.

Also, it makes sense that it's easier to score on bad defenses than good ones. If you can score 25 points on an elite defense, that's pretty good. On a small scale, Pitt had one of the best pass rushes in the country. The Canes OL giving up less than 3 sacks is a huge accomplishment. We didn't score a lot of points, but we also had the lesser of our 2 QBs starting (AND he was injured). The win against FSU was the largest margin of victory in almost 20 years, and it happened on the road. Then Miami obliterated Louisville. It's an excellent trend and I think the "yeah but..." crowd is trying too hard to look for flaws.

Great post @k9cane

While we still have a long way to go, we beat two excellent defensive teams in UVA and Pitt, blew out a hated foe on the road, and manhandled a team that was playing well and had previously lost to Notre Dame and Clemson (no shame in those) and FSU on the road. That was a great win.

I mean, the stuff that was taking place earlier in the season was unwatchable , now, it's much more entertaining and fun at least. I see progress, we can roll with this

Advertisement
Putting up points against bad defenses is the precursor to putting up points against good defenses. It's a start. We couldn't even do that before.

Also, it makes sense that it's easier to score on bad defenses than good ones. If you can score 25 points on an elite defense, that's pretty good. On a small scale, Pitt had one of the best pass rushes in the country. The Canes OL giving up less than 3 sacks is a huge accomplishment. We didn't score a lot of points, but we also had the lesser of our 2 QBs starting (AND he was injured). The win against FSU was the largest margin of victory in almost 20 years, and it happened on the road. Then Miami obliterated Louisville. It's an excellent trend and I think the "yeah but..." crowd is trying too hard to look for flaws.

I agree wholeheartedly. However the yeah but crowd has 15 years of yeah buts as ammo

Our past 2 opponents rank in the triple digits on defense.

At least we won.
Yeah, but we are starting to do to those bad defenses what decent teams do to bad defenses. That's a massive, massive step in the right direction. Now, let's keep it up. It shouldn't have taken this long to get the ball rolling, but I'll take it.

Advertisement
Show me progress. An engaged team playing exciting engaging football. That’s what I wanted from the Pitt game forward. And, so far, they’re giving me that, so I’m feeling good.

Most pundits picked Louisville because they were playing well, Satterfield was the cat’s meow, and we typically play like **** after playing well. It made sense why everyone thought we’d follow the same pattern. After all, it’s about a 20 year pattern. And we mopped them.

This is how a real offense can help the team. The team doesn’t feel like we’re dead if the other team moves the ball and scores like Louisville did.

It’s called adjusted expectations because we fcked up the reasonable expectation of winning the stank Coastal by losing to a few really bad conference opponents. But if we keep rocking and progressing like we are then we should smash Booch the Chooch and Kuntsniff and roll into postseason with a lot of positive momentum. But every time I start buying in, they Lucy me.

Truth of the matter is that even if they win out, which would be great as it relates to recruiting and creating momentum, unfortunately this season to me will be defined by the home losses to Vatech and Gatech, which were inexcusable at home.

If you ever hope to be a winner you can’t let losing define you. The losses were brutal and unacceptable, but if the team let that define them we’d be 3-7 right now.

If you ever hope to be a winner you can’t let losing define you. The losses were brutal and unacceptable, but if the team let that define them we’d be 3-7 right now.
I see progress. I was at the game yesterday and it was exciting and very enjoyable. But I've been around long enough to know I should temper my expectations.

Advertisement
Back