Anyone think we still haven't seen all of Dawson's playbook?

I would like to see the TE game with skinner, Mc Cormic, Riley, and Arroyo (when he returns). You need to get them involved. They are too talented not to use. They need the game reps to have the timing and confidence before critical situations necessitate their use as pass catchers.
This is why I have doubts about the TEs being used much in the passing game going forward. That's a lot of talent being wasted, especially RW, who has elite potential. Of all the great TEs that have played here, RW could be the best...super light on his feet; a smooth, easy mover; natural pass-catcher; plus he can block and has some nasty to his game. You can't have talents like that just blocking all the time.

Advertisement
Pretty sure there are going to be packages for J Brown and other things we haven't seen. It's exciting. Nonetheless, the guys look COMFORTABLE. There seems to be no hand wringing about "learning" a new system.

This is why I have doubts about the TEs being used much in the passing game going forward. That's a lot of talent being wasted, especially RW, who has elite potential. Of all the great TEs that have played here, RW could be the best...super light on his feet; a smooth, easy mover; natural pass-catcher; plus he can block and has some nasty to his game. You can't have talents like that just blocking all the time.
Same for Skinner. Don't sleep on him. He is being completely misused trying to make him an "inline" TE. Maybe he can become a decent blocker in another 2 years, but he's a mismatch as a pass catcher.

I think Skinner is also in the doghouse from the Miami (Ohio) game.

1695599767546.png

4 Plays. Like novacane, it always works - just give it time.

Advertisement
Same for Skinner. Don't sleep on him. He is being completely misused trying to make him an "inline" TE. Maybe he can become a decent blocker in another 2 years, but he's a mismatch as a pass catcher.

I think Skinner is also in the doghouse from the Miami (Ohio) game.
Didn't mention Skinner because he isn't a true TE. He's a big slot, and as you said is completely misused. All coaches say that they utilize the talent they have and maximize what they do best, but nobody can tell me that is what is happening here. It's clear that Mario and Dawson view TEs first and foremost as blockers and are clearly trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

I don’t disagree this year but we also said the same thing about Gattis and Enos. Surely this isn’t it. It was.
You don't get to the back of the playbook if the kids can't run the plays in the front - like with Gattis and Enos.

Why would you add plays when we struggle to put up 17 against Directional Michigan University?

Advertisement
Didn't mention Skinner because he isn't a true TE. He's a big slot, and as you said is completely misused. All coaches say that they utilize the talent they have and maximize what they do best, but nobody can tell me that is what is happening here. It's clear that Mario and Dawson view TEs first and foremost as blockers and are clearly trying to fit square pegs in round holes.
I honestly don’t understand Mario when it comes to Skinner. He went after Skinner and flipped him from Alabama. He knew what Skinner was and could be.

I see him transferring unless things change. Everyone is saying Williams is going to be a star as a traditional TE. Seems like they're moving past Skinner.

It's a mistake not using Skinner for what he has. He's a true sophomore. He can put another 30 lbs on his body in 2 years. He's such a mis.ach with his catch radius and ability to run at his size.

If he transfers, he will kill it. He's a size mismatch. I think he'll play on Sundays. He reminds me of Antonio Gates from the Chargers back in the day.

Considering we've barely used our TEs, I think (hope) it'll be a big part of our offense moving forward.

Also would like to see some designed QB runs to really throw the defense off. Not more than 2-3 a game but just enough at critical times to really keep the defense off balance.

I wouldn’t run Tyler at all.

I believe Dawson opened it up a bit against A&M but, for some reason, I think there's a lot more wrinkles that haven't been shown due to the opponents we've played...
I think we will see wrinkles designed for a specific opponents in specific situations..if a team shows a specific look over n over again on a specific down & distance he’ll scheme a specific play up. The play for George vs A&M is an example or the fake to the flat up the Sideline weve seen to X twice so far..but as far a base offense we’ve seen what we are looking to do

Advertisement
I honestly don’t understand Mario when it comes to Skinner. He went after Skinner and flipped him from Alabama. He knew what Skinner was and could be.

I see him transferring unless things change. Everyone is saying Williams is going to be a star as a traditional TE. Seems like they're moving past Skinner.

It's a mistake not using Skinner for what he has. He's a true sophomore. He can put another 30 lbs on his body in 2 years. He's such a mis.ach with his catch radius and ability to run at his size.

If he transfers, he will kill it. He's a size mismatch. I think he'll play on Sundays. He reminds me of Antonio Gates from the Chargers back in the day.
Skinner isn’t physical enough yet at the POA & what he does offer as a mismatch for his talent you highlighted isn’t enough to take X or Brashard off the field tbh..if he transfers so be it..the O is putting up 40 plus..but even out of HS he was regarded as a really raw prospect with a elite skillset..maybe it’s on him to put it all together

Advertisement
Skinner isn’t physical enough yet at the POA & what he does offer as a mismatch for his talent you highlighted isn’t enough to take X or Brashard off the field tbh..if he transfers so be it..the O is putting up 40 plus..but even out of HS he was regarded as a really raw prospect with a elite skillset..maybe it’s on him to put it all together
It's not about taking WRs off the field, they do it all the time in 12 personal. It's about presenting something different.

Especially in the redzone. You literally just have to split him out wide and make a basketball shot and tell Skinner to go get it off the rim. That is unstoppable.

Blocking aside because we knew that wasn't his strength. You can't run after the catch if you can't consistently catch the ball.

Advertisement
Back