Anyone think we still haven't seen all of Dawson's playbook?

Advertisement
You missed the point. This is about using TEs in the passing game, which is clearly not a priority in this offense. RW is only 4 games into his TFR year, but that's not stopping him from being sent out early and often to run and pass block, and be pulled as though he's a starter at the end of the game. Why do they trust him to pass and run block but don't throw him the ball, when he is an elite receiving TE?

TEs have been targeted 4 times this season. If this trend continues it means the talent in the TE room will be wasted.
I didn't miss any point.

McCormick is a blocking first TE and Arroyo is injured.

You made the idiotic statement about a true freshman having his talent wasted.

The TEs have 4 REC this year ... not targets. Probably 8-10 targets.

I didn't miss any point.

McCormick is a blocking first TE and Arroyo is injured.

You made the idiotic statement about a true freshman having his talent wasted.

The TEs have 4 REC this year ... not targets. Probably 8-10 targets.
The point was that the TE room is being underutilized in the passing game. I specifically mentioned RW because he is an elite talent. The fact that he is a TFR is irrelevant. Brock Bowers and Georgia didn't care that he was a TFR when he was targeted 81 times for 56-882-13. He had 18 catches on about 24 targets thru his first 4 games. RW has 1 catch on 2... and the TEs as a group have 4 catches on about 6-7 targets thru 4 games. This tells me that the talent in the TE room is being wasted/underutilized. Could this change? I hope so...

The point was that the TE room is being underutilized in the passing game. I specifically mentioned RW because he is an elite talent. The fact that he is a TFR is irrelevant. Brock Bowers and Georgia didn't care that he was a TFR when he was targeted 81 times for 56-882-13. He had 18 catches on about 24 targets thru his first 4 games. RW has 1 catch on 2... and the TEs as a group have 4 catches on about 6-7 targets thru 4 games. This tells me that the talent in the TE room is being wasted/underutilized. Could this change? I hope so...
No matter how many times you say it everyone is still gonna disagree with you because it’s a bad take

Advertisement
Dawson doesn’t get enough credit for evolving as a OC. He has put a lot of work during the off-season and is expanding his horizons. What a HR hire by Mario,
Facts and not just as a playcaller or play design perspective, he came in late and we are executing at an extremely high level out the gate.

Big props to the players and the entire staff, this is what real buy in looks like

TVD has missed some wide open reads to them. They’re definitely more of a target than the numbers suggest, at this point.
I think its this more than some new packages that we haven’t introduced, not saying we won’t have more tho.

TEs have been there but the ball has just went other places

Lets not compare any TEs to bowers or what he’s done because uga offense is built around him

Saying a room is being wasted only 4 games in is a bad take

And why tf do we care so much about this, our offense is humming this whole te **** is just people nit picking. If the wr room is being featured more now then that’s just is what it is…But besides that the TEs have been open but they just haven’t gotten the ball, dawson just not gonna say hey this drive throw to the TE lol there are different reads every play

Considering we've barely used our TEs, I think (hope) it'll be a big part of our offense moving forward.

Also would like to see some designed QB runs to really throw the defense off. Not more than 2-3 a game but just enough at critical times to really keep the defense off balance.
I’ll like to see us use the RB’s more in the passing game too. Especially CJ and Parrish real nice in the open field. Use them boys out that back field. N would like for the TE to get more redzone target

Advertisement
Dawson's leadership has ignited an impressive offensive resurgence compared to last year. Currently, Miami ranks #3 nationally in yards per play at 8.24, trailing only USC (9.22) and UW (9.23). Included more comparative offensive data between the three schools below.

StatisticMiamiUSCUW (Washington)
Yards per Play8.249.229.23
Total Plays252247257
Total Yards2,0762,2772,373
Running Plays (% of Total Plays)138 (54.8%)111 (44.9%)104 (40.5%)
Rushing Yards890768504
Average Yards per Rush Attempt6.456.924.85
Passing Attempts114136153
Passing Completions (% of Passing Attempts)86 (75.4%)99 (72.8%)113 (73.9%)
Passing Yards1,1861,5091,869
Average Yards per Pass Attempt10.4011.1012.22

Advertisement
To answer the OP, no we have not seen all of Dawson's playbook and like a few others have stated, I would estimate that we have seen about 35%. That's just a ballpark figure but I'm fairly confident that is close to the actual number.

The great thing about Dawson is that he has a lot of experience in many different types of offenses from pass heavy to run heavy. The eclectic nature of all of that experience is part of what makes him such an effective OC. A good coach/coordinator never throws anything out of his bag and Dawson has a really big bag!

This has nothing to do with any secret playbook nor does the OP's question have any relation to the way the board used to fool themselves into thinking that Enos and Richt had been holding back the best parts of their respective playbooks. The situations are entirely different as are the contexts in which each was asked. Enos, Richt and whoever else I'm forgetting presided over boring, bland, ineffective and just plain bad offenses that struggled. Those past OCs were running their offense and we thought there had to be more because it was vanilla and ineffective. Its also very possible that those past coordinators who we love to bash(except Gattis who deserves every bit) kept their play calling basic because they were severely hindered by bad QB play and bad offensive line play. We all know that there isn't a playbook in the world that can mask or even mitigate bad QB and OL play.

Dawson is very different in that his offense has been very effective and his play calling excellent while showing flashes of brilliance. Dawson is also in a very different situation in that he has an elite QB and OL. While he has shown more vs a team like ATM, he has not had any reason to show much vs Miami of Ohio, Bethune Cookman and Temple. So yes the OP has a very valid question and I'm confident that we will see much more from Dawson as we enter the meat our schedule and begin ACC play. I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:
We haven’t really needed to get into situational play calling much this year because we’ve been able to dominate 3 opponents with bare bones play calling. The “wow!” Play designs that we got a taste of against A&M will get used a bit more as we step up in competition and might need to get a little creative. I’m perfectly fine with how Dawson has handled the offense so far. He took what Ohio Miami gave him in week one. He unleashed TVD and the vertical passing game against an A&M team that wanted to shut down the run. He kept it simple and got everyone involved against and overmatched BCC. He could have gotten crazy and went for 70 but why? And the game plan against Temple, a team who can’t stop the run, in terrible weather, was a no brainer.

As for tight ends, Until Arroyo gets healthy, this is what you’re going to get. McCormick was brought here to be an extra lineman. Skinner can’t block and has drop issues and Williams is a true freshman. I’d be concerned if the receivers weren’t absolutely dominating but I’m not taking Young, Restrepo or George out of the game to give a backup tight end some snaps. IMO, Skinner is gone.

Advertisement
To answer the OP, no we have not seen all of Dawson's playbook and like a few others have stated, I would estimate that we have seen about 35%. That's just a ballpark figure but I'm fairly confident that is close to the actual number.

The great thing about Dawson is that he has a lot of experience in many different types of offenses from pass heavy to run heavy. The eclectic nature of all of that experience is part of what makes him such an effective OC. A good coach/coordinator never throws anything out of his bag and Dawson has a really big bag!

This has nothing to do with any secret playbook nor does the OP's question have any relation to the way the board used to fool themselves into thinking that Enos and Richt had been holding back the best parts of their respective playbooks. The situations are entirely different as are the contexts in which each was asked. Enos, Richt and whoever else I'm forgetting presided over boring, bland, ineffective and just plain bad offenses that struggled. Those past OCs were running their offense and we thought there had to be more because it was vanilla and ineffective. Its also very possible that those past coordinators who we love to bash(except Gattis who deserves every bit) kept their play calling basic because they were severely hindered by bad QB play and bad offensive line play. We all know that there isn't a playbook in the world that can mask or even mitigate bad QB and OL play.

Dawson is very different in that his offense has been very effective and his play calling excellent while showing flashes of brilliance. Dawson is also in a very different situation in that he has an elite QB and OL. While he has shown more vs a team like ATM, he has not had any reason to show much vs Miami of Ohio, Bethune Cookman and Temple. So yes the OP has a very valid question and I'm confident that we will see much more from Dawson as we enter the meat our schedule and begin ACC play. I'm looking forward to it.
Nice response and I agree with all points.

Advertisement
Back