Anyone else think Williams >>>>>>>>>>>> Martell?

Advertisement
Sorry, NOBODY is stupid enough to leave a hugely talented QB on the bench when you have absolute trash on the field. Nobody.

Remember when we all thought N’Kosi Perry was the answer....until he wasn’t?

Everyone was mad at Richt for playing Rosier, saying Perry should get a shot....then Perry plays and he’s easily as bad as Rosier.

People always think the backup QB is the answer.
Richt wasn't using a 5 star rb with elite speed. If irvin wouldnt have got hurt he would have started over jordan.

Advertisement
I really wish Williams had got some burn last year to at least settle his feet and get a better feel of the speed at this level...

Week 1 against the Gators isn't where you want to break in a new QB who will be going through the new QB motions

After having watched QB1, i'd be very surprised if Tate doesnt win the job. That guy just find a way to make plays. Not saying he's going to have the college careers of Manziel and Mayfield, but he has very similar characteristics.

Agreed. It's worth the time watching QB1 to get a feel for what's coming down the pike. Martell is a smart, charismatic, engaging character who isn't afraid to test the limits. Also, the cats in QB room better be on their toes or he'll be in their heads and take the job before they know it. Other than Perry haven't seen enough of the competition, but would be surprised if Martell isn't the starter - assuming he's cleared to play.

Martell never lost a game as a starter at Bishop Gorman. Yes, he played on a stacked team but they had an impressive OOS schedule. Williams played on teams that went 5-5 and 4-7 his senior and junior seasons. In his defense, he may have played with some mediocre talent around him, but they went 4-7 last year so losing him did not make much of a difference. Martell played very well this year in limited snaps. Williams all but mailed it in after Savannah State. Clean slate for Williams so hopefully he is taking this seriously. Perry gets a clean slate, too.

BTW, to my first point, you bring in proven winners and then run an offense they can execute. Look at Brock Berlin. He was terrific in high school coming from a dominant national program. Great stats in mop up at Florida. Coker and Chud ruined the kid his junior year. He looked lost in the first half against Florida. We run hurry up and shot gun in 3rd quarter, which is what he ran at Evangel Christian, and the kid looked like an All-American. We should have stayed in those formations for the remainder of his career. Werner got something out of him his senior year.

Martell gives you dynamic play. Something neither Perry nor Williams bring to the table. Enos is pretty clear he will adjust to the talent he has. That in its own right is refreshing.

Advertisement
I've always said that Miami is one of those schools who doesn't need a superstar QB. As long as we have somebody under center who has control of the offense, Knows where he going with the ball and is accurate we'll be fine. I think Martell is that guy. Williams is the better overall talent tho.

Anyone with too strong of an opinion on either guy based on the complete lack of evidence available clearly is a ****-stirrer with an agenda.

Let the best man win. They might pick the wrong guy and then have to give the backup a chance because selecting a starter is far from a scientific event.

I think Martell is better from what I've seen of his film, Williams just really hasn't gotten his chance yet. If Williams beats out Martell then he's pretty **** good, just as long as Perry is nothing more than the back-up. He had his chance and flopped, more concerned with making **** videos than learning the playbook.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Right now I think Martell, if he gets the waiver, has an edge in the QB competition. Not because the competition will be rigged for him to win. Not because he was hand selected. Not because of some good film against Rutgers in garbage time. Not because of his HS production. I think he has the edge in the QB competition because he's the only guy in the QB room the Richts have not touched.

Martell never lost a game as a starter at Bishop Gorman. Yes, he played on a stacked team but they had an impressive OOS schedule. Williams played on teams that went 5-5 and 4-7 his senior and junior seasons. In his defense, he may have played with some mediocre talent around him, but they went 4-7 last year so losing him did not make much of a difference. Martell played very well this year in limited snaps. Williams all but mailed it in after Savannah State. Clean slate for Williams so hopefully he is taking this seriously. Perry gets a clean slate, too.

BTW, to my first point, you bring in proven winners and then run an offense they can execute. Look at Brock Berlin. He was terrific in high school coming from a dominant national program. Great stats in mop up at Florida. Coker and Chud ruined the kid his junior year. He looked lost in the first half against Florida. We run hurry up and shot gun in 3rd quarter, which is what he ran at Evangel Christian, and the kid looked like an All-American. We should have stayed in those formations for the remainder of his career. Werner got something out of him his senior year.

Martell gives you dynamic play. Something neither Perry nor Williams bring to the table. Enos is pretty clear he will adjust to the talent he has. That in its own right is refreshing.
Very good point on the won/loss numbers. A truly great QB shouldn’t be a big loser in HS. He should be able to transform a HS team.

Advertisement
I've not seen Martell play, and obviously I have not seen much of Williams......but if everything else is equal I want the 6'2" QB over the 5'11" QB. Really tired of seeing the DL bat the football away, and I'm wary of having to constantly roll a guy out just to get him a decent throwing lane.
We have to roll all our QBs out regardless of height because our OL can't pass protect worth a ****. More mobile guy probably has an edge.

Even if Martell is given a waiver to play, I think Williams beats him out (if it's truly an open competition, which I highly doubt).
What an odd post.

Why wouldn’t it be an open competition? You think Manny would rather go with the worse guy?

And why would you think Williams > Martell? What have we heard about either that would cause you to say that?

IF Martell gets the waiver, I think it'll be an uphill battle for Williams on an even playing field. Martell had a great HS career, played a little at the college level, undoubtedly had better coaching at Ohio Taint, and has that swag.

Not to say Williams can't win the starting job, but I think he'll have to work his a$$ off to get it. It's going to be a hellluva lot of fun to watch.

I don't care who wins . Just bring me a qb that scares tf out of defenses. I'm tired of hearing the cliche Miami just needs a distributor at qb. Man this ain't the early 90's
. We need elite qb play to beat Clemson and bama

Advertisement
Back