Another Perspective on Miami and Mario

Honest question for you. Does/has Butch ever considered an AD position? Just curious, as the college game (particularly recruiting) is so much harder on older coaches. I was just watching a bit of the ESPN doc on Parcells/Belichick, and you could really see the toll that coaching took on Parcells' health.
I don't think Butch is interested in any AD position...Even when he was HC at UM he didn't like dealing with the BOT whatsoever...and was never crazy about Paul Dee...

Advertisement
Mario is a good dude, like him a lot, and I hope he keeps winning.
But in the what have you done for me lately world, if he drops a couple of games he's not expected to lose, this Mario to Miami talk will quiet down real quick.
it may but I think it makes it more realistic

The thrust of Barry's recent article (hello I'm sure you are reading this) is about as much for other BoT'rs as content for his media profession (and we consumers of said ink).

They [BoT'rs] informally communicate with each other through leaks ("we dont have the money, blah, blah, blah") and messengers (Barry, et al).

Whoever talked with Jackson is trying to convey a position to other BoT'rs/factions---get ****ed all you want, you don't have the votes you think you do right now

Maybe they are right, maybe they are wrong--who cares--but at least be cognizant of what is playing out in front of us IF you know where to look and how to see it. I make same claim of messaging with other posters here who say they also speak to different BoT'rs. The message gets out doesn't? And, to a strong degree, silence is concurrence--not a hard concept to grasp.

These leaks aren't intended for the masses like some think... they are intended as a form of internal communciation because if they lock horns in a meeting, it reduces their options...
and egos of these types of people can't stand that now can they?

Do you think some (most) of them attained their positions because they run their mouths in meetings with unpopular opinions? FFS. Pretty rare 1% of 1% who swims in that lane--anyone who says different has no idea what they speak of.

Don't believe me, ok...THINK about your own workplace and perhaps other social groups. My guess is more than a few of you here have seen, **** are probably participating in, the same type of dynamic that is unfolding.

A move on Diaz and Blake is coming one day--their incompetence leads to nowhere else but that eventually. With that said, it comes when a faction of BoT'rs feels they have enough support to advance their position on 1) those that disagree, and 2) those that are ambivalent (because no decison IS A DECISION). It all about the math for these types--they will "stick their neck out" only when they know the vote is a mere formality.

Time will tell us obviously, but take hope in the fact that one day, Flake and Manuela will be former employees of the Athletic Department.

Go Canes.
yeah unfortunately its the first time I see UM having the "the president doesn't care" out which is concerning

yeah unfortunately its the first time I see UM having the "the president doesn't care" out which is concerning
Frenk being asleep at the switch has been known since day 1.

He is inconsequential, but likely of course, the BoT would use him as the messenger when axe falls.

Advertisement
Dee had a well known disdain for Davis and carried it when he was at NCAA.
I can say for a fact that Paul fully supported Butch while he was HC. He and I had some heated discussions about Butch and wether he deserved such loyalty. But, once Butch screwed Miami shortly before national signing day, Paul changed his view and maintained it for years.

Advertisement
I can say for a fact that Paul fully supported Butch while he was HC. He and I had some heated discussions about Butch and wether he deserved such loyalty. But, once Butch screwed Miami shortly before national signing day, Paul changed his view and maintained it for years.
I've heard a similar story from via former ACC commish ties... the grudge was deep amd taken to grave.

Cristobal and Kiffin coached together a few years at Bama with Saban.

Get one of them, hire a crazy asss Muschamp/Pruitt to run the D since they’re both in a analyst roll right now.

Tackling/physicality/recruiting will surely not be a problem.

Mario is a good dude, like him a lot, and I hope he keeps winning.
But in the what have you done for me lately world, if he drops a couple of games he's not expected to lose, this Mario to Miami talk will quiet down real quick.

Mario is the only choice for Miami. Period.

No one else of any merit wants the job, as we've seen for the past 20 years. Even back in the day, Miami hired nobody up-and-comer types—Jimmy and Dennis. Butch was a third choice and Howard was brought on almost as a lark, as UM toyed with dropping football a few years prior, before hiring the Dolphins' assistant.

Schiano shot it down in 2006 to stay at Rutgers. Edsall and Trestman were finalists with Golden in 2015. Richt only took the call because it was his alma mater—and Miami only called because he was a good guy in the twilight of his career, stepping down at Georgia for not getting it done in 15 years. Diaz was a low-rent, lazy hire—brought on the same day Richt left—to save a recruiting class as well as saving face from another do-nothing national search.

There is NOBODY considered a hot name in college football—the Matt Campbell types—that is leaving their current gig to come to Coral Gables; private school, off-campus stadium, wishy-washy fan base, no college town atmosphere, etc. Seen this show before. Better fast jump on the one capable guy out there because it's literally ".... or bust" if the Canes can't sell Cristobal on a return.

No one else of any merit wants the job, as we've seen for the past 20 years. Even back in the day, Miami hired nobody up-and-comer types—Jimmy and Dennis. Butch was a third choice and Howard was brought on almost as a lark, as UM toyed with dropping football a few years prior, before hiring the Dolphins' assistant.

Schiano shot it down in 2006 to stay at Rutgers. Edsall and Trestman were finalists with Golden in 2015. Richt only took the call because it was his alma mater—and Miami only called because he was a good guy in the twilight of his career, stepping down at Georgia for not getting it done in 15 years. Diaz was a low-rent, lazy hire—brought on the same day Richt left—to save a recruiting class as well as saving face from another do-nothing national search.

There is NOBODY considered a hot name in college football—the Matt Campbell types—that is leaving their current gig to come to Coral Gables; private school, off-campus stadium, wishy-washy fan base, no college town atmosphere, etc. Seen this show before. Better fast jump on the one capable guy out there because it's literally ".... or bust" if the Canes can't sell Cristobal on a return.
You’re wrong about no one wanting this job. They’ve turned down a number of good coaches including schiano who was beaten out by Richt

Advertisement

Different issue than what I posted about. Remains to be seen.

Lol at Butch ******** UM...Please stop it...and Dee did NOT fully support Butch...ask @Poopscoop if I'm wrong...

Advertisement
The financial mismanagement goes a lot further than that:

1. Panics and gives Al Golden a contract extension THROUGH 2020!!! once rumors start that Folden might look at Penn State

2. Signs Mark Richt to a contract in 2016. A couple seasons later, he gives him a raise and an extension through 2023 based on one average season and one good season. No one was trying to hire away Mark Richt. There was absolutely zero reason to give him a contract extension at that point. You don't know two years into his tenure if his success has to do with the Golden's players or how his recruiting will turn out, a lesson that should have been learned with Larry Coker. The end of year 3 would tell you what direction the program is headed. If he has another successful 2018, great give him a raise. If not, you have leverage to force changes or let him walk.

3. Pays Temple 4 million for Diaz and hires him 11 hours after Richt announces his retirement.

This is just football. Haven't even touched on baseball and basketball yet. How the BOT doesn't realize that Blake James has been an egregiously bad steward of the school's money is baffling.
It’s literally the easiest athletic director job in the country. How difficult is it to entice top level athletes to come live in one of the most beautiful campuses in America and one of the best cities to live at especially in that age group. How hard is it to entice experience coaches that are eyeing retirement or looking to live in a state that has a tremendous tax advantage. The women’s soccer is a head scratcher for sure. So is track. They department is literally making it harder for themselves than it should be. That acc money is definitely a crutch they just lean on indefinitely.

I don't think Butch is interested in any AD position...Even when he was HC at UM he didn't like dealing with the BOT whatsoever...and was never crazy about Paul Dee...
I actually think Butch has the knowledge and leadership skills to be an AD. That is disappointing.

My father, who is retired now, worked for a HUGE sponsor of the University of Miami (his brand was advertised all over the OB and banners were flying all over football games in the early to mid 90's). He still raves about how Butch spoke to his company at some lunch event. He knew Butch was a true leader and passionate about what he was doing.

I am working incredibly hard to be able to do the same one day with my business.

I actually think Butch has the knowledge and leadership skills to be an AD. That is disappointing.

My father, who is retired now, worked for a HUGE sponsor of the University of Miami (his brand was advertised all over the OB and banners were flying all over football games in the early to mid 90's). He still raves about how Butch spoke to his company at some lunch event. He knew Butch was a true leader and passionate about what he was doing.

I am working incredibly hard to be able to do the same one day with my business.
Nothing I enjoyed more than talking Football with Butch..especially defensive.

Everybody seems to reference Mario's tenure with Golden (he was here for a cup of coffee) and his abrupt departure to Bama. However, that was Mario's third go around with Miami. He was a graduate assistant under Butch Davis before leaving for Rutgers to work with Schiano and coach the OL and TEs. He then returned to Miami and joined Coker's staff as the OL coach before taking the FIU gig. He was highly thought of during this first two stints with Miami.

Despite his corching moments, Mario vs. Manny is a no contest. Mario has worked with some tough suns of biatches (Schiano, Butch, Saban, etc.). And, as I have stated before, our biggest problem is we lack toughness and grit. If you believe like I do that a team is a reflection of its head coach, then the addition of Mario and his staff will immediately pay dividends.

Advertisement
Back