Another coaching blooper reel

According to Wildcat defense, the guy right next to the referee is a safety. What is this guy talking about?

You need to specify who you're talking about bro, cause you don't know WTF you're looking at. If you're talking about the player next to the ref, then yes that's a LB. He can't move over the slot because then we'll barely have anybody in the box vs the run. He's aligned fine.

You need to learn to read. Or rather, I need to specify who I'm talking about better because people like you are slow. Like, I'm talking to a guy who thinks there's nothing wrong with UM failing to cover a slot WR.

All I really got out of this discussion is that UM put themselves in a position where if NE called the right play, they'd easily pick up 5-6 yards. And that's exactly what happened.

You're arguing with me about pre-snap alignments but I'm a DC who actually fields pretty good high school defenses. (with inferior talent)

So who's the idiot?

You asked for opinions on the pre-snap alignments. I gave them to you, from the mind of an expert. Now that my opinions don't coincide with your agenda you have become insulting.

Again...

Who's the idiot?

:jordan:

You actually helped me really understand this. I see what UM is thinking now and how they constantly put players in positions and expect them to make plays that we know they can't make.

Dude, you can laugh all you want to but the fact of the matter is, I've shot holes in several of your theories. I've also told you WTF is going on in these pics. You don't listen cause it doesn't fit your agenda.

The truth is, you have no clue about football or pre-snap alignments. You asked for opinions yet you're not listening.

If we put a man over that #3 receiver then we can't defend the run at all. We'd be short in the box. You wanna move Burns to the other side, which makes no sense and would allow the TE and/or RB to be wide open.

Now, you can STFU and listen or you can argue with an expert's opinion.

Advertisement
Another bizarre play. View attachment 25775

I'm hoping somebody like Lu can explain what they are aiming to do here, because I really don't get it. On this play, the linebacker on the side with all the WR's shows blitz pre-snap. So, if it's a short pass, and he actually blitzes, we're covering 3 WR's with 2 guys. He does blitz and they swing it to the wide open guy for an effortless 6-7 yard gain. Like what is their philosophy behind doing that? I'm not trying to be snide at all. I'm genuinely curious why they think alignments like this make sense.

You do realize that players are moving after this still shot, right?

So while you see 3 receivers and only 2 defenders out wide, that doesn't mean it's gonna be that way post snap. Regardless, there's 3 defensive backs over there. There's a CB, a Free Safety and a Strong Safety. We're running a "Double Eagle" front. Both DE's lined up outside the Guards, both OLB's blitzing. It's most likely Cover-3 behind that, which means the Free Safety has #3 vertical. If 3 doesn't go vertical he rolls to #2. The Strong Safety has flats. The CB has deep 1/3 of the field. The Inside Linebacker has hook-to-curl zone. (i.e. #3 shallow) The CB at the bottom of the screen is basically manned up on the TE.

Nothing unordinary about this alignment.
If all these alignments are standard then why do they never work?

There's no reason the alignments in these pics shouldn't work. I didn't say ALL of our alignments were great. (check Lu's thread)

Well I take that back, the play where they got their first TD is kinda sketchy. In theory it should work but it's a gamble. (that we lost)

Macho knows his stuff. Macho what is your opinion of the d the last few yrs. I mean it has been the worst d in history. Why?

1. Square peg, round hole. Asking kids to do things they aren't accustomed to doing and/or shouldn't be doing with their skill-set. (and flat out don't want to do)

2. Also, poor pre-snap alignments against certain offenses put us at a disadvantage.

3. Too much engaging up front, not enough attacking.

4. Too much "dice rolling" with the defensive play calling.

5. A stubborn infatuation with Cover-2. (2-high Safeties)

Just a handful of theories I've come up with.

Macho knows his stuff. Macho what is your opinion of the d the last few yrs. I mean it has been the worst d in history. Why?

1. Square peg, round hole. Asking kids to do things they aren't accustomed to doing and/or shouldn't be doing with their skill-set. (and flat out don't want to do)

2. Also, poor pre-snap alignments against certain offenses put us at a disadvantage.

Good points. I realize there's a lot going out there I don't understand but what's the point of playing two deep safeties, along with linebackers on the goal line while a team has third and short and been running it down your throat all game long. Since when do we defend a deep ball in a goal line run situation? ******* brutal man, brutal.

Advertisement
I understand that when you play an option team you need your DL to engage and read/react or you play into the offenses hands. But now what I don't get is you ask the DL to do this but often we see our linebackers out numbered on the next level so they are unable to fi the gaps the DL creates. Why the infatuation with being so terrified of the deep ball when the offense is just jamming it down your throat, and we are supposed to have good cover guys? I just don't get it.

Good points. I realize there's a lot going out there I don't understand but what's the point of playing two deep safeties, along with linebackers on the goal line while a team has third and short and been running it down your throat all game long. Since when do we defend a deep ball in a goal line run situation? ******* brutal man, brutal.

No clue bro. No clue. SMH

Well, ****. Thanks for the honesty though. Not trying to fuel an agenda, I just hoped there was something else to it

Well, ****. Thanks for the honesty though. Not trying to fuel an agenda, I just hoped there was something else to it

From what I know...

The only reason to stay in 2-high is because you're scared of the vertical seams. That's the weakness in Cover-3. When you run Cover-2 you don't have to worry about the vertical seams.

I can't think of any other benefit to staying in Cover-2.

If you're trying to stop the run you should be in Cover-3, Quarters or Cover-1 Man.

Advertisement

From what I know...

The only reason to stay in 2-high is because you're scared of the vertical seams. That's the weakness in Cover-3. When you run Cover-2 you don't have to worry about the vertical seams.

I can't think of any other benefit to staying in Cover-2.

If you're trying to stop the run you should be in Cover-3, Quarters or Cover-1 Man.

It's really been all I can come up with watching us. We act as if we have a Seahawks or 49ers caliber DL and we can just manhandle the OL while protecting against the deep ball. I can literally feel our fear to be beaten deep every time we line up. For ***** sake we play teams every week that absolutely cannot run with our DBs, but yet our DBs start retreating as soon as the ball is snapped.

I don't think that's necessarily a stupid way to play defense, though in certain spots it is mind blowing, but with our personnel it's actually backwards. If anything you take guys like Howard, Bush, Burns.....elite South Florida secondary guys, and you make less talented receivers beat you CONSISTENTLY. You don't just sit there and put our front 7 (or 6 or 5 sometimes) behind the 8 ball when the talent there isn't capable of handling the load.

At what point do you adapt? ****.

Our 2010 secondary of Ryan Hill, Brandon Harris, DVD, Ray-Ray Armstrong and VT was more productive than our current group of guys. (who probably have more natural talent) There's only 2 NFL Defensive Backs in that 2010 group, DVD and Harris. I'd be very surprised if we don't have more NFL guys in this current group. (Bush, Howard, Gunter, Crawford, Carter, Burns, etc)

The way to beat an option team is disrupt what they want to do before they ever reach the line of scrimmage .We just sat there and let abdullah get a head of steam and tried to tackle him in space. I am not a coach but I watched our great teams dismantle option attacks with fast linebackers and d lineman who shot gaps. It doesnt take a football genius to understand that.

Advertisement
From what I remember WildcatsD was one of the first to get on Golden and staff about scheme

Another bizarre play. View attachment 25775

I'm hoping somebody like Lu can explain what they are aiming to do here, because I really don't get it. On this play, the linebacker on the side with all the WR's shows blitz pre-snap. So, if it's a short pass, and he actually blitzes, we're covering 3 WR's with 2 guys. He does blitz and they swing it to the wide open guy for an effortless 6-7 yard gain. Like what is their philosophy behind doing that? I'm not trying to be snide at all. I'm genuinely curious why they think alignments like this make sense.

You do realize that players are moving after this still shot, right?

So while you see 3 receivers and only 2 defenders out wide, that doesn't mean it's gonna be that way post snap. Regardless, there's 3 defensive backs over there. There's a CB, a Free Safety and a Strong Safety. We're running a "Double Eagle" front. Both DE's lined up outside the Guards, both OLB's blitzing. It's most likely Cover-3 behind that, which means the Free Safety has #3 vertical. If 3 doesn't go vertical he rolls to #2. The Strong Safety has flats. The CB has deep 1/3 of the field. The Inside Linebacker has hook-to-curl zone. (i.e. #3 shallow) The CB at the bottom of the screen is basically manned up on the TE.

Nothing unordinary about this alignment.

Everything about that alignment is wrong. There is no way a college staff would set their defense up like that if they had any sense. This is high school level defense

Advertisement
I think it all boils down to their idea that yards don't matter. Golden and Dorito seem to really buy into that philosophy. So giving up 5, 6 or 7 yards is nothing to them. As long as they force the opponent into a field goal, a turnover or wait until the opponent makes a mistake, then they are happy with giving up all of these yards. That truly is the only explanation I can come up with.

Thing is, it doesn't work. The bend don't break from what I surmise is best suited for a talent deficient team that is playing a much more talented team. Its their only chance to contain their opponent for a short time. I definitely don't think its supposed to be used on an every game basis.

Hopefully Lu or some others can shed light on this.

IVE BEEN SAYING THIS SINCE THEY BEEN HERE...FIRST GAME...MARYLAND.

Their philosophy is like their still @! temple..scared...play just to keep it close....thats why yards dont matter///when your the lesser team..it doesnt matter...your holding on for dear life.....but this is miami...and coaching that way gets you no where..especially in the acc.

Honestly we have one of the worst if not THE worst coaching staff in our conference from an x"s and o's standpoint...its not close....what wake did in front of my eyes last year was all i needed to know.

Our 2010 secondary of Ryan Hill, Brandon Harris, DVD, Ray-Ray Armstrong and VT was more productive than our current group of guys. (who probably have more natural talent) There's only 2 NFL Defensive Backs in that 2010 group, DVD and Harris. I'd be very surprised if we don't have more NFL guys in this current group. (Bush, Howard, Gunter, Crawford, Carter, Burns, etc)

This, the talent being wasted away with this **** they run.

Not to be a d!ck or anything, but SOMETIMES don't the players line up wrong? For those who play or played football on the defensive side of the ball, how many times have you heard your coach say or talk about lining up right? I bet a lot. And it happens at every level.

Advertisement
Back