Another coaching blooper reel

weownfsu

Move to FCS
Sometime during the 3rd quarter when Nebraska was down near their own goal line. They had two WR's on the same side. We had two CB's on the field. One of them, Artie Burns, was on the side of the field that didn't have any WR's. Instead we lined up a LB on one of the WR's. Can anybody find this for me? Can somebody explain WHY they think this is a good idea? Are they expecting some type of motion that doesn't happen so that Burns has somebody in his zone? I don't know X and O's that well, but this doesn't make any sense to me. On the second of these plays, Burns looked clueless and basically lined up at LB.

Here's a screenshot of that play: Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 2.25.03 AM.jpg

Another play, I think in the first half, came when Nebraska had about 3 wide to the same side of the field. One of the guys in the slot was left completely uncovered--like the play with 10 men against Louisville. One of our secondary men, maybe Burns or Crawford, was motioning for somebody to come over but nobody did. They swung a pass to the uncovered guy and he walked for a first down. I suspect this play occurred in Nebraska's drive during the first quarter starting at 2:44, but I am not sure.

Any other bizarre defensive alignments?

Last edited:
Advertisement
If anybody could find screenshots of these plays, I would be extremely thankful.

Sometime during the 3rd quarter when Nebraska was down near their own goal line. They had two WR's on the same side. We had two CB's on the field. One of them, Artie Burns, was on the side of the field that didn't have any WR's. Instead we lined up a LB on one of the WR's. Can anybody find this for me? Can somebody explain WHY they think this is a good idea? Are they expecting some type of motion that doesn't happen so that Burns has somebody in his zone? I don't know X and O's that well, but this doesn't make any sense to me. On the second of these plays, Burns looked clueless and basically lined up at LB.

Another play, I think in the first half, came when Nebraska had about 3 wide to the same side of the field. One of the guys in the slot was left completely uncovered--like the play with 10 men against Louisville. One of our secondary men, maybe Burns or Crawford, was motioning for somebody to come over but nobody did. They swung a pass to the uncovered guy and he walked for a first down. I suspect this play occurred in Nebraska's drive during the first quarter starting at 2:44, but I am not sure.

I think it was Bush who was yelling for someone to come over. Wanted to break my TV. Gifted them an easy first down

The second play I know exactly what your talking about. Deon was signaling over for somebody they snapped it and threw it out to him nobody touched him for ten yards. Before the snap I was yelling at everybody with me what was gonna happen before the play even happened cause nobody was on him

Advertisement
The second play I know exactly what your talking about. Deon was signaling over for somebody they snapped it and threw it out to him nobody touched him for ten yards. Before the snap I was yelling at everybody with me what was gonna happen before the play even happened cause nobody was on him

Yep same here.

Here's that play:

Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 2.21.09 AM.jpg

Another bizarre play. Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 2.35.43 AM.jpg

I'm hoping somebody like Lu can explain what they are aiming to do here, because I really don't get it. On this play, the linebacker on the side with all the WR's shows blitz pre-snap. So, if it's a short pass, and he actually blitzes, we're covering 3 WR's with 2 guys. He does blitz and they swing it to the wide open guy for an effortless 6-7 yard gain. Like what is their philosophy behind doing that? I'm not trying to be snide at all. I'm genuinely curious why they think alignments like this make sense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think it all boils down to their idea that yards don't matter. Golden and Dorito seem to really buy into that philosophy. So giving up 5, 6 or 7 yards is nothing to them. As long as they force the opponent into a field goal, a turnover or wait until the opponent makes a mistake, then they are happy with giving up all of these yards. That truly is the only explanation I can come up with.

Thing is, it doesn't work. The bend don't break from what I surmise is best suited for a talent deficient team that is playing a much more talented team. Its their only chance to contain their opponent for a short time. I definitely don't think its supposed to be used on an every game basis.

Hopefully Lu or some others can shed light on this.

Here's their first TDScreen Shot 2014-09-21 at 2.43.37 AM.jpg

There's so many things wrong with this play. We basically leave Gunter 1 on 1 and he gets beat. Fine, that happens. But why do we again have Armbrister lined up wide, OUTSIDE OF DEON BUSH, blitz Deon Bush, and then have Dallas Crawford towards the side of the field with no WR's? I'm guessing Armbrister being that wide out tips them off that we're blitzing Bush, because it wouldn't make any sense to have Bush closer to the LB's than Armbrister if he wasn't blitzing.

So we give away a safety blitz pre-snap.

The result is that even if they didn't go to the guy who beat Gunter, there's no safety help to the bottom of the screen where all the WR's are--so they could easily flood Armbrister's zone. This play is just a massive **** up waiting to happen. Even if you take Gunter and the guy who burned him out of the equation, it ends up being 2 WR's versus one linebacker and a safety (Dallas Crawford) 15 yards away. Makes zero sense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Here's their first TDView attachment 25777

There's so many things wrong with this play. We basically leave Gunter 1 on 1 and he gets beat. Fine, that happens. But why do we again have Armbrister lined up wide, OUTSIDE OF DEON BUSH, blitz Deon Bush, and then have Dallas Crawford towards the side of the field with no WR's? I'm guessing Armbrister being that wide out tips them off that we're blitzing Bush, because it wouldn't make any sense to have Bush closer to the LB's than Armbrister if he wasn't blitzing.

The result is that even if they didn't go to the guy who beat Gunter, there's no safety help to the bottom of the screen where all the WR's are--so they could easily flood Armbrister's zone. This play is just a massive **** up waiting to happen. Even if you take Gunter and the guy who burned him out of the equation, it ends up being 2 WR's versus one linebacker and a safety (Dallas Crawford) 15 yards away. Makes zero sense.

i can explain this away Chad wasnt around to play cb on this play

See, I don't mind if people are gonna dog the pre-snap alignments but atleast know WTF you're talkin about.

The first play in question...

Burns HAS to be on the TE side. We're playing zone. Who do you think is covering the TE if he goes vertical? Also, what if they run toss? The problem is yall don't know the difference between zone and man. In zone, LB's match up with WR's all the time. Burn is either playing Cover-2, in which case he has the flats, or Cover-3 where he has the TE releasing vertical. The Linebacker that's lined up on the #2 is covering flats. Just cause he's got a ******' WR across from him doesn't mean he's playing man on him. SMH

Honestly, not a single alignment (screen shot) in this thread is wrong. They're all pretty standard.

Here's their first TDView attachment 25777

The Free Safety, which I believe is Crawford, should be rolling towards the 3 WR side and covering the #3 receiver vertical. Armbrister has flats. Gunter either has man coverage or deep 3rd.

We line Bush inside because that's how we play Cover-3. Our OLB's widen out and cover flats while our "down" Safety plays hook-to-curl.

Not saying I agree with it, but that's what it is.

Advertisement
Another bizarre play. View attachment 25775

I'm hoping somebody like Lu can explain what they are aiming to do here, because I really don't get it. On this play, the linebacker on the side with all the WR's shows blitz pre-snap. So, if it's a short pass, and he actually blitzes, we're covering 3 WR's with 2 guys. He does blitz and they swing it to the wide open guy for an effortless 6-7 yard gain. Like what is their philosophy behind doing that? I'm not trying to be snide at all. I'm genuinely curious why they think alignments like this make sense.

You do realize that players are moving after this still shot, right?

So while you see 3 receivers and only 2 defenders out wide, that doesn't mean it's gonna be that way post snap. Regardless, there's 3 defensive backs over there. There's a CB, a Free Safety and a Strong Safety. We're running a "Double Eagle" front. Both DE's lined up outside the Guards, both OLB's blitzing. It's most likely Cover-3 behind that, which means the Free Safety has #3 vertical. If 3 doesn't go vertical he rolls to #2. The Strong Safety has flats. The CB has deep 1/3 of the field. The Inside Linebacker has hook-to-curl zone. (i.e. #3 shallow) The CB at the bottom of the screen is basically manned up on the TE.

Nothing unordinary about this alignment.

There werent players moving after that screenshot. The guy showing blitz actually blitzed, and they swung it to the guy in front of him for an effortless pick up. Im not asking about their resppnsibilities, im asking WHY we think its a good idea to have artie burns lined up the way he was instead of having him to the side of the field with the WRs? What sense does that make?

If anybody could find screenshots of these plays, I would be extremely thankful.

I think it was Bush who was yelling for someone to come over. Wanted to break my TV. Gifted them an easy first down

yep, was in the back end zone there. He was waving for people to come over and wasn't watching. They snapped it and threw it and took off running a few yards before he even recognized the guy had taken off.

There werent players moving after that screenshot. The guy showing blitz actually blitzed, and they swung it to the guy in front of him for an effortless pick up. Im not asking about their resppnsibilities, im asking WHY we think its a good idea to have artie burns lined up the way he was instead of having him to the side of the field with the WRs? What sense does that make?

If they swung the ball to the #3 WR then that was bubble screen and the Safety up top needs to get off the block and make a play.

And Burns is lined up on that side BECAUSE WE'RE PLAYING ZONE!!!!!

WHO'S SUPPOSED TO COVER THAT TIGHT-END IF HE GOES OUT?!?!

Advertisement
Back