Anonymous former Cane on Coaches, Players

We could discuss this all **** day but the bottom line is quite simple. Everything starts at the top. End of story. This is a referendum on the failed leadership of one Alfred Golden.

Advertisement
Article said:
“Some of the players wish coach D’Onofrio would let them play more instinctively and attacking more, and play more man coverage. Against Florida State, we were attacking and playing a lot of man coverage in the first half. Then we got conservative and Jameis Winston picked us apart. Players want to play more man.”.

Where are the people who swore up and down that the second half was called the same way as the first half?

These are grown *** adults. they dont need to babied into putting max effort or thoroughly understanding the defensive playbook.

I dont blame the coaches for the lack in effort. The playbook is too tough, thats the same **** youre gonna have to learn if you wanna play in the nfl.
The problem with this mindset is an NFL rookie takes 2-3 yrs to learn his playbook. By the time a college players learns and understands it. he'll already be gone. And not to mention an NFL player can devote his whole to time to learn and understand it since its his job. Plus the player already has some knowledge of the playbook since he spent at least 3yrs in college. You're talking about a player that was previous in high school where the playbook is as simple as it comes and coaches who are no better than a pop warner coach. Golden has to understand this but of course won't.

Jesus Christ, this program has turned into complete ****. This isn't hurricane football. **** out of my face with this bull**** excuse making.

Advertisement
Butch Davis would never have to worry about motivation. Kids were scared to death of him.

On a side note, i have mentioned in the past, i had a family friend who played at Temple with them .He liked
Coach D better than Golden. He wasnt a star for them but he played. I think he was a soph when they got the miami gig.

After the Virginia game, Anthony Chickillo asked why we ran a three-man line on fourth and goal at the two, and coach D’Onofrio snapped.”

GTFOOH

I bet there's a screen shot of that somewhere.

Advertisement
The trick is to make it simple for the kids, but complex for the opponent.

It seems that golden has this in reverse. Our defense is too complex for our own kids yet simple enough for every opposing offense to move through like Swiss cheese.

After the Virginia game, Anthony Chickillo asked why we ran a three-man line on fourth and goal at the two, and coach D’Onofrio snapped.”

GTFOOH

I bet there's a screen shot of that somewhere.

Its not wise to question the smartest guys in the room.

Told yall they checked out after the FSU game, another thing ive noticed with dorito is he really doesnt get the kids input on things and what makes them feel confortable, i get that its college where the coaches are a little more authoritative than the pros but its always good to hear what the players want and it also helps with player/coaches relationship

Last edited:
When the players think they know more than the coaches there's always a problem. Bottom line is it spreads discontent in the locker room. Don't play as a team, don't win. Oh wait, Duke J was supposed to bail them out every game. If the players aren't believing, you aren't winning. It's on the coaches to fix it.

Advertisement
problems with the playbook, motivation and trust in year 4 is only the coaches fault.

Advertisement
Dorito is an *******, and barely qualified to be the attendant at a parking garage. If the scheme isn't working, for whatever the reason (too complicated, not complicated enough, etc.) YOU CHANGE THE MUTHAFUKKA. You don't sit there with one thumb up your *** and the other on a pizza and jump on anyone that asks for something that actually works. Too bad ALF didn't have the balls to cut ties with this barrel of fish heads to give the team (and himself) a chance to actually improve. Good luck moving forward with the exact same scheme but with younger/less talented players.

All of it, every bit is on the coaches.

Recruit better and have real legitimate depth. That way when a guy doesn't learn his playbook you hurt him where it counts, they lose PT. If a guy doesn't give full effort , pull his *** off the field.

Good coaches do a couple things well. Recruit, teach and motivate, and game plan/scheme. It is a proven fact that our staph does none of this well.

Players have lots to do in college. Coaches have one thing to do WIN. All these issues are on the HC. He recruits every player, he hires every coach, and in Al's case, he makes every decision. Losing causes much, winning fixes almost everything. Insisting you are right in the face of repeated failure is insane. So is blaming the players over and over again.

Advertisement
Back