Anonymous former Cane on Coaches, Players

canecountry3

Senior
"### Asked who’s to blame for the underachieving and 6-7 record last season, he said 70 percent is on the players and 30 percent on the coaches.

“Players have to want to be great,” he said. “And last year, there were a few guys who wanted to be great, but not everyone gave their all every play.”

He said some players had to be cajoled simply “to play harder.” That lack of effort puzzled and angered some players who were giving their all and caused some friction among players, he said.

### The player said another problem is that some players didn’t study the playbook enough to learn D’Onofrio’s complex defense, which is patterned in some ways after the Seattle Seahawks system.

“It’s an NFL defense, a difficult system, and some college kids aren’t ready for it and don’t put in the time to learn it,” the player said. “It needs to be like a job, and some of the guys here don’t treat it like that. I don’t think he necessarily needs to simplify it. Some of the players just need to make it a priority to learn it and do it right.”

But he also acknowledged that D’Onofrio’s system, which he had no issue with, is simply “too much to learn for some kids. I’ve seen playbooks from other schools and ours is a lot more complicated and longer.”

### So what’s the issue as far as coaching, beyond that?

“Some of the players wish coach D’Onofrio would let them play more instinctively and attacking more, and play more man coverage. Against Florida State, we were attacking and playing a lot of man coverage in the first half. Then we got conservative and Jameis Winston picked us apart. Players want to play more man.”

### He said the other issue with D’Onofrio is that “guys are afraid of him because he can be insulting. Some players wanted to be treated more respectfully.

“Coach D’Onofrio doesn’t like when you speak up [with suggestions or second-guessing]. After the Virginia game, Anthony Chickillo asked why we ran a three-man line on fourth and goal at the two, and coach D’Onofrio snapped.”

In defense of D’Onofrio (who is a friendly, engaging fellow off the field), a lot of coaches are very tough on their players and D’Onofrio always praises them publicly.

### The player said UM players don’t have an issue with the hybrid 4-3/3-4 scheme or where they’re asked to line up and praised D’Onofrio for being “passionate and detailed. He would be a great NFL coach.”

### What about Al Golden?

“A great guy,” the player said. “He’s calm, cool and composed. But he comes across as a salesman. I wish he would be more open with us.” He said even though Golden says players can come to him about anything, “some players are intimidated by him.”

Does Golden motivate the team well enough? “He ignites us emotionally at practice. But after the Florida State game, we lost a lot of emotion. We kind of lost our mojo.”

The player blames everyone for that. He said he doesn’t have any issue with Golden’s strategic acumen or game-day decisions.

### He said the young players cannot feel entitlement and must understand they need to work to be great, which he believes some --- but not all --- do. As an example, he mentioned Chad Thomas can be “****y” but also praised his ability."

UM player from 2014 discusses behind-the-scenes issues with Hurricanes football program; Heat, Marlins, Dolphins nuggets; Chris Bosh interview; WQAM changes lineup | Sports Buzz

Advertisement
Al Golden and his **** buddy are ****ing pathetic pieces of ****s

Yeah golden and donofrio are definitely not the best but how far can you go as a team if some players are not giving their all every play? Definitely some blame to be had on some players

Advertisement

Yeah golden and donofrio are definitely not the best but how far can you go as a team if some players are not giving their all every play? Definitely some blame to be had on some players

Isn't part of coaching? does he not recruit these players? I know you are trying to hang onto your DB coach job Paul but it is not working.

Isn't part of coaching? does he not recruit these players? I know you are trying to hang onto your DB coach job Paul but it is not working.

Wtf lol I'm a college student, what are you talking about? Yes I agree we know the team quit after fsu loss but that's where golden again failed last season. He is the leader of the team and he was supposed to have them motivated no matter what...

player motivation is actually still the responsibility of the coaching staff...this proves that Golden and his cronies still (after 4 ******* years) can't connect with the players. the players know that if they give their input (a la Chick in this example) they'll be shot down and insulted. the blame is 100% on this coaching staff.

player motivation is actually still the responsibility of the coaching staff...this proves that Golden and his cronies still (after 4 ****ing years) can't connect with the players. the players know that if they give their input (a la Chick in this example) they'll be shot down and insulted. the blame is 100% on this coaching staff.

It is the responsibility of the players and the coaches. Former players always blame the players when they hear about guys quitting. I've never heard a former player blame the coaches when they hear about players not going all out.

Advertisement

player motivation is actually still the responsibility of the coaching staff...this proves that Golden and his cronies still (after 4 ****ing years) can't connect with the players. the players know that if they give their input (a la Chick in this example) they'll be shot down and insulted. the blame is 100% on this coaching staff.

True but do you think the early 2000 canes needed someone to motivate them to be great? No... Back in the day they had that want to be great IMO. Plus this happens on a lot of the teams. I have a cousin who plays for fsu and some of their players that went to the draft played conservative too...

Golden and D'No think they are God's gift to earth...their schemes untouchable. Their failure to adapt makes them the worst coaches in America, in any sport. Their arrogance magnifies their stupidity to the millionth degree. Get the **** out of my school and go back to Jersey you spineless *****.

Doesn't every major program have players who think they're better than they are, who need to learn the playbook, and who need to "buy in?" For some reason, other coaches are able to overcome these problems and get the most out of their players. Golden and NoD don't, and by the look of things, they never will. They are all excuses and the "complexity" of the defensive scheme is merely another excuse. They suck and the excuses are getting absurd.

Advertisement
This player is a coal shoveler that trusts the process.

Last edited:

Why not sit the players who are not going 100%? Are they that much better at 80% than the next guy? I'm assuming the same guys who are not studying the playbook are the one taking plays off.

Chad had not done much on the field to be ****y about. He needs to lead by example.

Conservative football is my main gripe with this staff. I'd rather go down swinging than keeping it close and bleeding to death.

FSU ruined 2 seasons for us in a row... we should of had 9+ wins the last years.

We need to either simplify the play book or recruit smarter players who are willing to study. Other wise talent will be wasted or unrealized.

Leaders on the team need to dish out some punishment to the players not giving their all like we did in the late 90's. (Can't wait for Sam Bruce and Al Blades to get here)

Last edited:
Scheme should be simplified. Miami should play like the FSU 2014 game first half all 2015 season and we will win 11 games.

Advertisement

It is the responsibility of the players and the coaches. Former players always blame the players when they hear about guys quitting. I've never heard a former player blame the coaches when they hear about players not going all out.

IMO, there is more to it than the players just "quitting". they've lost all confidence in this coaching staff. they don't trust that the staff will put them in the right positions to succeed in the first place. the players not giving their all is just a symptom.

A pretty fair assessment from a former player who knows a **** of a lot mo than any poster who hasn't played under the Golden regime. I hope coach Donuts simplifies things and lets the dogs out cause if he F***s it up this year, he ain't gonna get another DC job.

IMO, there is more to it than the players just "quitting". they've lost all confidence in this coaching staff. they don't trust that the staff will put them in the right positions to succeed in the first place. the players not giving their all is just a symptom.

Pool parties and dodgeball will fix this problem. Don't be naive...

Advertisement
Back