Anonymous Coaches Talk Miami

You don’t have the slightest clue what you’re talking about. Not a semblance. I do agree that if somehow they don’t make a bowl again, he’ll have to go because there will be a literal concern for his safety. But the season would have to be a complete, unmitigated disaster for them to even consider firing him now. Again, they will do ANYTHING to avoid paying $18M to a coach to walk. Then they’d have to buyout his replacement. Then pay that guy. It’s not gonna happen unless the season is as bad as last year, and honestly it’d probably have to be worse.

They balked for weeks and weeks about hiring Clements because of his buyout. They are at a severe impasse with the boosters. The last thing they wanna do is pay willie to walk. It’s not gonna happen. And hiring a 37 year old guy with zero HC experience at FSU with the last name Briles is beyond comical. No chance.
Lol at don't have a clue...Watch

Advertisement
You are 100% right about Bama making their QBs look better than they really are. When you are surrounded by 5 star OL, throwing to 5 star WRS/TEs, with 5 star RBs keeping the defense honest. You are going to look way better than you really are.
Yeah that's what I was trying to say. U worded it perfectly.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It is off hype. Martell has done nothing in college yet.
The author of the ‘quote’ seems to forget that Richt had Kaaya, and Kaaya was Mel Kiper’s projected No.2 pick in the draft at one point. So how is Martel better than that?!

Redwine and JJ were smart players that made up for speed or fluidity with intelligence. I think the crop we have are exponentially more athletic and built, so that alone should cover up mistakes of experience by about 80%. Within Manny's defense plays are simpler so I don't see much of a drop. Plus we have a junior in Carter, a sophomore in Hall and a senior in Finley as he rotates to and from Striker. So its not like we are rolling out true freshmen with no experience within the system.
Being athletic doesn't mean you'll be where you're supposed to be. Ed Reed wasn't the most athletic guy but you'd be hard pressed to find someone as smart as him on the field.

I hope the young guys can't put it all together similarly to Redwine. Took him sometime but after a season or 2, he became a dude for us

I subscribe to this post. Questions at OL, combined with a new scheme, make the upcoming season a question mark.

Can we win the coastal? Sure, it is an awful conference. Would I be shocked if we dropped a few and finished 3rd? Not at all.

Vegas win total is 8.5. I think if we get to 9, that should be good for at least 2nd in the coastal. I wouldn't be surprised to see UVA take a step back. Bryce Perkins is nice, but UVA had a preseason win total of (I think) 5 games last year - I know cause I had bet the under. VT simply underwhelms me. But both of them also play in the weak costal. It'll likely come down to tiebreakers.

Don't forget its year 1 of a new regime and a new offensive system. Yes, retaining the defensive staff helps. Yes, there appears to be more energy that hopefully translates to the field. But it is still Year 1 of a new regime.

To me, the season goes as the OL goes. I think our defense will take a step back but still be good enough to keep us in most games. The OL needs to establish a formidable run game. Hopefully, some of this comes from the OC, and we run more than 4 rushing plays. We certainly have the skill position players to do it. But to scoff at the article is short sided, IMO.

A close 2nd to the run game is special teams. We are relying on an Australian punter who got here this week to be the savior. When your punter shanks 20 yarders on a regular basis and puts the defense in awful positions, I don't care how good they are - that is demoralizing, and will lead to points given up.

Typical summer hoopla, jacking up our unproven (sometimes freshman) talent while downplaying that of our opponents. We had a chance to go undefeated in 2017, and Pitt pushed out **** in. Pitt. Remember that when setting your expectations for this season.
I see things differently. The Florida game is huge for us. It will let us know where our team stands and where the deficiencies are. Florida will be the best team we face in the regular season. Our guys will grow so much from that game whether they played good or bad.

It's said that a team makes it's biggest improvements from week 1 to week 2. When we start facing ACC teams, Miami will be a much better team from week 1 (week 0 in our case). The only ACC games that gives me any concern are FSU and Pitt. FSU because it's an away rivalry game. Pitt because they have a veteran QB and it's an away game that we always seem to struggle there. Plus, they seem to play with confidence against us as they do against Clemson for whatever reason.

The Coastal is so weak we GT having a new coach and scheme, Duke breaking in a new QB, VT a mess having a bunch of guys transferring, UNC with a new but old coach who may start a true freshman this year. It shouldn't be anything less than a 10-2 regular season given what we're facing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Keep thinking FSU doesn't have 18 million to make his *** walk...I have a friend (30yrs) whose entire family not only are FSU Grads...but who's father and Grandfather are/were Boosters....If Willie doesn't at the VERY least go to a bowl....hes gone....Briles IS the next HC....

I can see this happening. FSU would not have to buyout Briles.

The only ***** is if FSU's offense stinks and a key reason for a crappy season. How would you justify an $18M buyout to replace WillieT with the OC who failed to rebuild the offense?

Let's hope for a 7-5 FSU and a Trailerhassee soap opera.

I believe our defensive scheme makes good players look great and great players look elite. There won't be as big of a drop-off in the secondary as everyone thinks, if any. Hall will make the transition from Redwine smooth.
Who was made to look elite?

Advertisement
Why is Miami the only team in the Coastal with holes to fill? Miami isn’t. And, just as QB play will determine Miami’s fate, it will also determine the other teams as well. I don’t see a single ACC QB on Miami’s schedule that is projected to be on anyone’s NFL roster.

UNC - Nathan Elliot, starter last year, has left the program to coach. 2019: two rFr; one true freshman. Suratt switched to LB
VT - Josh Jackson transferred; Ryan Willis starter
UVA - Bryce Perkins ... 11/21; 92 yds; 3 INTs (let it marinate if your blood doesn’t boil first)
GT - ????
Pitt - Kenny Pickett
FSU - Blackmon, Hornibrook
Louisville - Jawon Pass (projected starter)
Duke - Quentin Harris (projected Starter)

- The Coastal is horrible!
- 3 bye weeks
- leave Florida 3 times and one “away” game is at Marlins Park
- 3 Coastal teams have completely new staffs
- 5 teams on schedule will have new starters.

This. The coastal (AS USUAL) is there for the taking...

Throw in a big time win over Florida to start the season and we can easily cruise to 11 wins and a top 10 ranking all season before we hopefully keep it competitive against Clemson..

This is the best thing for Manny as it can start to pay off on the recruiting trail that he is indeed someone who can walk the walk and talk the talk.. Not to mention beating both instate rivals will be huge

Predicting us to be third in the coastal is a real possibility until we can prove otherwise.
It's just amazing that our on-field play and performance over the past decade+ honestly warrants so many of these awful opinions/predictions every year. And then we too often go out and prove them right. Un-fking-real.

To me, if you're only going to look at 1 metric, it's yards per play allowed. I ran the numbers for the past 3 years combined. A couple caveats:

1. Obviously, this is not all equal, because teams play totally different schedules. At least in the NFL, there's some commonality. But if you compare Miami vs say someone like Colorado, they don't have a single common opponent. So this isn't the end all measuring stick. But it's the best we can do

2. I only looked at games vs FBS teams. I have zero interest in how teams perform in the 4th quarter against Prairie View. FBS only

3. This is how the defenses are ranked if you combine all plays against FBS teams:

1. ALABAMA 4.35
2. LSU 4.39
3. MICHIGAN 4.43
4. CLEMSON 4.48
5. WASHINGTON 4.67
6. MIAMI 4.73

That's it. There's only 5 teams in the whole country who have averaged giving up less yards per play than Manny has since he arrived. Considering what we watched when turkey **** was coordinating this defense, I don't think any of us can say much about the job Manny has done at Miami.

"Turkey ****"? Hmm....
Never heard that one before.....
Why do I first see it three years after the guy leaves?
Would've been so much fun to use it when he was still here.

Adderall isn't like normal medicine. If he really has ADD(which he may not since it is extremely over diagnosed) than the difference between being on your meds and off your meds is insane. I knew kids that had ADD that were completely normal when on their meds and when off their meds they couldn't even pay attention long enough to draw a stick figure. I can't even imagine them trying to play football like that.

Advertisement
Back