Anonymous Coaches Talk Miami

Be careful with how you look at stats. What you're talking about accounts for 77 points against Savannah State. I'm not exaggerating, Savannah State is a high school team, and if you remember, they held several of their starters out as well. So it was the Miami Hurricanes vs Savannah State's 2's. Come on.

A much better barometer is to filter for stats vs FBS teams only. What a P5 team does against an FCS team tells you absolutely nothing.

So, looking at the whole country vs only FBS teams, Miami actually averaged 24.8 PPG, which was good for 89th in the country. UF by this metric, since you mentioned them, averaged 30.8 PPG, which was 37th.
I agree. My point was to say that we indeed average 28 points, which is still pathetic, considering our full schedule, including Savannah State! Stats is just data, which means we can manipulate it to show what we want it to show. We should be over 35 points per game, whether that is vs. FBS, in conference, or the overall schedule.

Advertisement
- Against P-5 programs, Miami was barely over 21 PPG.
- 5 times Miami scored fewer than 21 points against P-5 teams in 2018
- Defense 3 TDs against UNC; 2 TOS saved the FSU game

Miami was “WORSE” than 21 PPG last year
Data can be manipulated to prove a point. We can take how many points per game that we scored during night games last year and compare it to how many night games we will have this upcoming season, to try to get a gauge for what to expect. My point is, with Enos being at the Helm and considering the weapons that we have, we should be at the bare minimum, a touchdown per game better than last year. According to your above listed numbers, an extra touchdown per game will get us over the 28 points per gam threshold vs. P5 teams. In my post that you responded to, I stated that we should be at least a touchdown per game better than last year, which means we are making the same point, only in a different way.

Everyone else, sure. But you never root for UF and FSU to be successful, no matter what. Miami's strength of schedule really means nothing. If they win the ACC, they're going to the playoff. If they aren't in playoff consideration, then who cares about strength of schedule? The bottom line is this....the #1 priority is winning championships. So, if that's in play, then sure, I'm all for the strongest possible schedule to bolster a resume.

But if that is not in play, then the #2 priority is beating your rivals and keeping them as weak as humanly possible. Having them win the games other than when they play Miami does not accomplish that. So you should really root for them to suck no matter what. If Miami goes 11-1 or 12-0 and beats Clemson in the ACCCG, they're in the playoff no matter what. And if they go 10-2 or 9-3, who cares what the SOS metric is? You always want your rivals to implode. No different this season.

As far as UVA/ND, I didn't realize that ND played UGA the week before. You make a good point. That may be a bit of a trap game for ND.

that's a fair point.

because of the championship game structure, and barring an upset of huge proportions, it'a almost impossible for an undefeated or "1 loss" champion of the ACC, SEC, Big Ten, or Big 12 to not be in the playoff.

Hypothetical: Miami loses to UF and FSU but beats Clemson in the ACCCG.

CFP or no?

A 10-2 Miami team that beats Clemson in the ACCCG is going to be in 99.9% of the time.

If you want to talk very hypothetically....maybe there's a VERY slim chance that Miami goes 10-2, loses to FSU and UF, both of those programs have 7-5 type seasons, the ACC Coastal is trash, and Clemson loses 2 games....then MAYBE the ACC gets left out of the playoff.

It's happened to the PAC-12. It's happened to the Big 12. I suppose it COULD happen to the ACC. But that's very, very slim.

And I don't think the trade-off of having our rivals have good seasons to combat the very remote chance that we'd need SOS to get into a playoff is remotely justifiable. You want FSU and UF to suck. There's really no scenario in the world where you're hoping your enemy is successful and strong. A putrid and disastrous FSU and UF is nothing but good for Miami.

I agree with all the points you wrote except the first line (I’ve been writing the same lines since Diaz was announced as the head coach). I would still consider 10 wins an achievement. Though I wouldn’t be terribly happy.

That said, you’re right: outside of UF and the rivalry game in Tallahassee, the schedule sets up perfectly.

- @UNC after Miami bye week (UNC new coach, new QB)
- VT home after bye week
- GT home (GT new coach, new offense)
- UVA at home on a Friday night under Hard Rock lights.

Every game on the schedule has Miami playing the other team at the most advantageous time - for Miami. Pitt won’t be a let down as long as Diaz, Pinckney and Quarterman are on the sidelines and FSU will never be. Ever. Louisville ends the second act of Miami’s season with a new coach, etc. and then the season finishes … bye, “@ FIU”, and Duke away.

This is a no excuses schedule in a year when Miami has more than enough TALENT to finish in the top-10 and an outside chance of the CFP. I’m not going to go looking for losses.

If Miami wins 10 and goes to ACCCG that is my bare minimum expectations.

Would it suck? **** no. Just isnt an achievement for me is all.

Achievement is.....beating Clemson

Advertisement
Be careful with how you look at stats. What you're talking about accounts for 77 points against Savannah State. I'm not exaggerating, Savannah State is a high school team, and if you remember, they held several of their starters out as well. So it was the Miami Hurricanes vs Savannah State's 2's. Come on.

A much better barometer is to filter for stats vs FBS teams only. What a P5 team does against an FCS team tells you absolutely nothing.

So, looking at the whole country vs only FBS teams, Miami actually averaged 24.8 PPG, which was good for 89th in the country. UF by this metric, since you mentioned them, averaged 30.8 PPG, which was 37th.

How about P5 taking out defensive scores?

I’ve actually heard the same thing from a friend who’s currently a booster. They’ll take the cheap route for briles, his actual words was “ our next hc is on the current staff”. I said “ briles “, he says “ yep”.

He seems to think itll have to be eight wins to save his job.
Jesus, thatll be a PR nightmare.

We will agree to disagree about whether or not rooting for FSU or UF to be horrible is of material benefit to Miami. I haven’t seen it in my lifetime but if you believe that you’re more than welcome to do it. There’s just a “floor” to where either can fall; they’re not going to become Wake Forest.

That said, let’s say 10-2 Miami beats a 12-0 Clemson … I think there’s a fair argument in Miami does not go to the CFP, especially, if UF and FSU’s records are 7-5. Miami would’ve lost to both major rivals (one of which would’ve lost to Clemson), neither of which would’ve made a dent in their own divisional conference schedule, and Miami possibly not playing any ranked teams between UF and Clemson.

That’s a classic case of what has benefited OSU and Alabama recently (well, somewhat… not exactly) where not winning your conference still gets you a trip to the CFP.

A 12-1 Clemson would get in over a 10-2 Miami in my opinion - and they’ll point to wins over OOC aTm and SCe. So though SOS might not matter…it could.

CFPC will take both Miami and Clemson at that point, pending the score of the ACC Champ. If Clemson is undefeated going in they are most likely #1 if it's a close game then they will probably drop to 4, Miami would get in for being ACC Champ and beating the #1 team in the country, see Georgia two years ago.

I don’t know… The week after a huge UGA game in Athens… UVA might be the right team at the right time to take them down. I’m not putting money on it but I’d love to see it.

I’ve said it before and I’ll **** a lot of people off saying it again: I am going to be a fan of a lot of teams this year so that Miami has the best possible strength of schedule. Miami beats UF and I’m rooting for UF to win the SEC after losing to 9-3 FSU to end the season. UVA beats the Independent Indiana Team and I’m hoping Miami is their only loss.

I can dream.

I respect your commitment to root for any and all things that help Miami, but rooting for uf for SoS points is just plain wrong brother.

If UFs ****** record is what keeps us out of the playoffs, say if we only lose 1 game (especially if its ACCC) so be it. I'd rather watch UF implode (taking credit for it), soak up those gaytor tears, smash them on the recruiting trail and be done with them. If they are in the hunt for SEC champ or God forbid playoffs, and I have to see UF garbage in my face 24/7 on tv, online, from friends and colleagues (bc you know that will happen) then just... :schuss:.

Being from central fl myself, and attending UM 05-08 (not only our downfall but during uf's run) I can go the rest of my LIFE never seeing them play in a meaningful game after 8/24. There is never a reason to root for them as a cane at this point. Implosion, irrelevance, obscurity and embarrassment is what we are rooting for with that ****hole.

Advertisement
Probably my favorite quote from this off season.
20190529_155331.jpg

I agree in principle with the point that you are trying to make. However, Miami actually averaged 28.77 points per game last year, which ranked 66th in the country.

I don't think there is any reason why we should average anything less than 35 points per game under Enos, considering the weapons that we have on this roster. You know who average 35 points per game last year, which was good for 22nd?.... F'ucking Florida Gaytors! It hurt just to type that ****! Considering that we averaged 28, Enos has to be at least a touchdown per game better than Richt to get us to 35!

But does that include the Savannah St game, which certainly had to have skewed the average. And there was 41 against Bethune Cookman

Also during that skid post FSU staring with UVa, Miami scored 13, 14, 12 and 21. Then the victories vs Vatech and Pitt, there were special teams scores and turnovers that basically handed the offense the ball inside the redzone. They finished the year by scoring 3 points at Yankee Stadium vs Wisky

I mean, that average seems to be very deceptive

Advertisement
I hope you’re right, but with those two losses to unranked teams (final) … I can’t say I agree.

Note: Auburn plays an SEC schedule so they would’ve received the benefit of the doubt had they beaten UGA but I don’t think Miami gets in with two losses and a win over an undefeated #1 ranked Clemson.

I can't see the CFPC leaving the ACC champion out...that means that you have no ACC team if Miami wins and the CFPC will want the team that just beat the defending national champs...I guess it all comes down to how close the UF/FSU games are, but I can't see them leaving us out if we are 11-2 and ACC champs come selection day

Advertisement
Back