Anonymous Coaches Talk Miami

Advertisement
Just gave this response to another poster:

In losses to Virginia, Duke and GT our team literally did worse than nothing offensively. Not only did we barely score, we gifted each of those teams multiple scores via turnover to create our own doom.

Any type of game where our offense isn't a net negative and we win all three of those, with an ending more like the Pitt, Virginia Tech and UNC games.

We don't have to be world beaters offensively to run the table on this schedule, we just have to avoid complete and total ineptness, which I have little doubt we can do.

Exactly. Some semblance of consistency week in, week out....regardless of opponent, and we are where we should be.

UM

Wrong. Considering this is a west coast based offense (I believe Enos called it "spread coast") a lot of the routes are intermediate routes. In a west coast offense your WRs do all the leg work. U get them the ball quickly in space and let them make something happen. So in fact, most of the route tree is in Tate's wheelhouse.

I understand that, however, there will most likely be a modification to some of the system to accommodate his "style".

Advertisement
Offense is where the stumbling block is hope diaz,enos work the offensive woos out quickly.if not we are looking at consecutive 8- 10 win seasons before TNM takes off.just hope fans here will be patient enough to allow it to happen.

The defense will take a step back, although it will probably be slight.

The offense will take a step forward, because literally it’s impossible not to.

A little worse defense combined with an improved offense nets at least 9 games. 8-4 is possible, but would be a disappointment. 10-2 is possible, and would be an achievement. 9-3 is likely, and would be a nice first year for Manny as a bottom line. Then we can discuss the nuances of each game, because not every win or loss is created equal.
9-3 would be failure. Not a fly the banners type failure, but a failure nonetheless

Advertisement
I tend to agree, but what if that 9-3 included victories against UF and FSU? Of course unlikely, but hypothetically. So again, I expect better, but not all 9-3’s are created equal.
Who would those 3 losses have occurred to then? I’m not saying Miami is so good they should lose maybe 1 game. I’m saying the schedule is so bad Miami should lose maybe 1 game.

Advertisement
Who would those 3 losses have occurred to then? I’m not saying Miami is so good they should lose maybe 1 game. I’m saying the schedule is so bad Miami should lose maybe 1 game.

One coastal hiccup is probably to be expected, especially breaking in a new offense.

But THREE LOSSES.

The division is so bad, no one can make a match up based argument for any team beating us.

They just assume losses because that is what we have done since joining the acc.

Somebody make an empirical argument for why we should lose to Duke. Ok, vag tech. No? What about ole virginny and that qb that lit us up with that epic performance? Georgia tech switching from triple option? No? Pittsburgh? LOL LOL LOL. So I guess it’s up to Mack Brown and the hapless Tar Heels.

We only expect losses because inept coaches have lead us into the abyss for the better part of a decade and a half. Cats is scared to get their hopes up.

But nobody can make a solid argument for any of those teams to beat us other than us sh*ttin the bed with more talented teams under coaches who couldn’t find they a**hole with a hand full of toilet paper.

One coastal hiccup is probably to be expected, especially breaking in a new offense.

But THREE LOSSES.

The division is so bad, no one can make a match up based argument for any team beating us.

They just assume losses because that is what we have done since joining the acc.

Somebody make an empirical argument for why we should lose to Duke. Ok, vag tech. No? What about ole virginny and that qb that lit us up with that epic performance? Georgia tech switching from triple option? No? Pittsburgh? LOL LOL LOL. So I guess it’s up to Mack Brown and the hapless Tar Heels.

We only expect losses because inept coaches have lead us into the abyss for the better part of a decade and a half. Cats is scared to get their hopes up.

But nobody can make a solid argument for any of those teams to beat us other than us sh*ttin the bed with more talented teams under coaches who couldn’t find they a**hole with a hand full of toilet paper.
Yep

Advertisement

Is the schedule worse this year than last year? No. Did anyone in a million years think we’d lose to the teams we lost to? No. Did anyone in a million years think we’d lose to 90% of the teams we’ve lost to the past 15 years? No.

Just saying. I think 9-3 is a disappointment as well. But 9-3 with losses to UF, FSU, and say Duke might win us the Coastal. Is that a horrible year? We’ve only done it once. 9-3 with losses to UNC, Duke, and Pitt and we don’t win the Coastal, but we beat FSU and UF. Is that a horrible year. Point is, you can’t just say a certain record. We have to evaluate each game after the season.

Is the schedule worse this year than last year? No. Did anyone in a million years think we’d lose to the teams we lost to? No. Did anyone in a million years think we’d lose to 90% of the teams we’ve lost to the past 15 years? No.

Just saying. I think 9-3 is a disappointment as well. But 9-3 with losses to UF, FSU, and say Duke might win us the Coastal. Is that a horrible year? We’ve only done it once. 9-3 with losses to UNC, Duke, and Pitt and we don’t win the Coastal, but we beat FSU and UF. Is that a horrible year. Point is, you can’t just say a certain record. We have to evaluate each game after the season.
I tend to look at a things a little differently maybe.... a teams win/loss record at the end of the day is just another statistic. And like any other statistic, it doesn’t happen in a vacuum. A loss to Clemson isn’t the same as a loss to UVA. so when I say 3 losses is a failure it’s not because I’ve arbitrarily decided that the numbers 1 or 2 feels better, it’s because there aren’t 3 teams on the schedule with objectively more talent than this Miami team.

Losses to FSU, UF and Duke would be disappointing... regardless of whether or not we win the coastal. A loss to UF would suck, but would be understandable. They’re roughly equivalent talent wise. Losses to FSU or Duke tho... not acceptable.

What happened last year, or over the last 15 years, doesn’t have any bearing on what happens this year. Underachieving last year doesn’t make it acceptable to underachieve slightly less this year. Besides, The college roster changes enough that year over year performances aren’t necessarily telling. And yes, I do think the schedule is a little easier this year.

TLDR:
Just beat the teams who have less talent. That’s all I ask. Regardless of the record at the end of the year, if we beat the teams we out-talent, I’m good.

I tend to look at a things a little differently maybe.... a teams win/loss record at the end of the day is just another statistic. And like any other statistic, it doesn’t happen in a vacuum. A loss to Clemson isn’t the same as a loss to UVA. so when I say 3 losses is a failure it’s not because I’ve arbitrarily decided that the numbers 1 or 2 feels better, it’s because there aren’t 3 teams on the schedule with objectively more talent than this Miami team.

Losses to FSU, UF and Duke would be disappointing... regardless of whether or not we win the coastal. A loss to UF would suck, but would be understandable. They’re roughly equivalent talent wise. Losses to FSU or Duke tho... not acceptable.

What happened last year, or over the last 15 years, doesn’t have any bearing on what happens this year. Underachieving last year doesn’t make it acceptable to underachieve slightly less this year. Besides, The college roster changes enough that year over year performances aren’t necessarily telling. And yes, I do think the schedule is a little easier this year.

TLDR:
Just beat the teams who have less talent. That’s all I ask. Regardless of the record at the end of the year, if we beat the teams we out-talent, I’m good.

Good post. I agree with the end especially. Miami has made a living out of losing to teams who are far less talented. Whether it’s a sign of poor coaching, lack of motivation, possibly is overinflating the talent we think we have...I don’t know. But losing to Duke and UVA should NEVER happen. Period. I’m with you though, bottom line, 9-3 is not acceptable with this schedule. But I still maintain, I’d feel a little better about it if we beat UF and FSU. I won’t be satisfied, but 9 wins with those 2 included would make me feel better at the end of the day than 9 wins with losses to those 2.

TLDR:

So you expect 11-1 then? Because the rest of your post suggests that the only team you think is more talented than us is UF. ... Just to be clear, I'm not saying you're wrong. If the QB situation gets settled (and believe it will), and we stay mostly injury free, then we will have better athletes across the board than everyone else, with our only real vulnerability at OT.

I still think this team is too young and has historically been to inconsistent, even on defense, to win every game it should win. I think an expected outcome of 9-3 is reasonable. But there's no doubt that we have the potential to gel and have a special season, given how weak our opponents are.

Advertisement
Back