Amarius Mims Elite 2021 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
From what I understand, the NIL agreement can’t “incentivize” you to commit to a certain school. I could be wrong but to me that means it‘s not binding because then that would “incentivize” you to attend said university. Again, not my area of expertise so I could be wrong. @TheOriginalCane could probably go into more detail if we knew where we could find the verbiage.

Yes, with all due respect to everyone, we just don't know what is in the deal. And lots of people stake out extreme absolute positions, which can tend to confuse things.

People say "but the NCAA can't do anything about NIL deals". Yet they can. "Pay for play" is still a violation. So it is relatively safe to assume that such wording would not be in an NIL deal (assuming that the drafting party actually consulted an attorney).

On the other hand, we cannot deny that this is the Wild West and that schools (cough, cough, the people running NIL collectives and whatnot) are going to try to get cute and go right up to the line between right and wrong. Or ****, let's be honest, they'll go over the line and dare the NCAA to do something about it.

The quick summary is that we don't know what is in the F$U NIL offer. We don't know if it is legally enforceable. You never know what a drafting party will try to sneak into a deal with a teenager, and you don't always know how a court will interpret things.

Sometimes you just have to realize that certain terms are insane. One time, I reviewed a non-compete that my brother's old business partner had drafted, and he had a distance clause of 25,000 miles...which happens to be the circumference of the earth. I had to tell him that no court in the country would enforce a non-compete that limited a person from competing ANYWHERE ON PLANET EARTH.

I'm just going to try to use logic here.

I don't understand why a guy would sign an NIL that constrains him so much that it is tantamount to signing with a school...and then he has to deny he has signed with any school. Reminds me of those old answering machine recordings they would play on the Howard Stern Show, the ones made by NAMBLA, where the guy would encourage callers to "be proud to be a man-boy lover". I mean, if you are going to commit a financial/recruiting crime by signing a contract that is predicated upon playing for a certain school, you might as well just own it.

The funny thing about all of this is the public bragging by F$U. Ultimately, the deal has to be submitted to the school. And the NCAA can ask to review the deal. So if it turns out that this deal is illegal and/or unenforceble, it could also put F$U in jeopardy. And don't even get me started on the fact that this whole "plan" was such a public secret around the F$U program that random posters on three different websites were prematurely sucking each other's d!cks in anticipation of this visit. Let's not pretend that anyone at UM wasn't aware of this and/or prepared for this.

And NONE OF THAT accounts for Mims' true intentions. We won't know that for certain until the LOI is signed and he actually enrolls. But I will say this. If he went to THESE lengths, and lied SO MUCH to so so many people, then it would be a completely unprecedented level of deception and something that we should learn from and be happy to not be associated with any longer. Don't get me wrong, he has tremendous talent. But the character? If this has all been a massive troll job? And I know, there will always be some porsters who think that UM should sign Charlie Manson if he can run a 4.3 in the 40.

Athens?… look, the kid is actually from Cochran, GA. Tallahassee must look like **** NYC to him 😂. The only McDonald’s that they got is connected to a gas station. They don’t even have a Burger King, Chic-fil- a, none of that. I think they got 6 or 7 traffic lights in the whole **** town. Tallahassee looks big as ****. If this kid makes the trip down to Miami, he may pass the fucc out. Coral Gables and surrounding Miami, may be too big for his liking. I hope we get him, but I ain’t losing sleep if we don’t. I just hope he’s prepared to get that *** kicked for the next few years.
I compared Tallahassee to Athens because, well, he did sign to play for UGA. And, I think you're spot on about Cochran - just with less traffic lights. ;)

Advertisement
Yes, with all due respect to everyone, we just don't know what is in the deal. And lots of people stake out extreme absolute positions, which can tend to confuse things.

People say "but the NCAA can't do anything about NIL deals". Yet they can. "Pay for play" is still a violation. So it is relatively safe to assume that such wording would not be in an NIL deal (assuming that the drafting party actually consulted an attorney).

On the other hand, we cannot deny that this is the Wild West and that schools (cough, cough, the people running NIL collectives and whatnot) are going to try to get cute and go right up to the line between right and wrong. Or ****, let's be honest, they'll go over the line and dare the NCAA to do something about it.

The quick summary is that we don't know what is in the F$U NIL offer. We don't know if it is legally enforceable. You never know what a drafting party will try to sneak into a deal with a teenager, and you don't always know how a court will interpret things.

Sometimes you just have to realize that certain terms are insane. One time, I reviewed a non-compete that my brother's old business partner had drafted, and he had a distance clause of 25,000 miles...which happens to be the circumference of the earth. I had to tell him that no court in the country would enforce a non-compete that limited a person from competing ANYWHERE ON PLANET EARTH.

I don't understand why a guy would sign an NIL that constrains him so much that it is tantamount to signing with a school...and then he has to deny he has signed with any school. Reminds me of those old answering machine recordings they would play on the Howard Stern Show, the ones made by NAMBLA, where the guy would encourage callers to "be proud to be a man-boy lover". I mean, if you are going to commit a financial/recruiting crime by signing a contract that is predicated upon playing for a certain school, you might as well just own it.

The funny thing about all of this is the public bragging by F$U. Ultimately, the deal has to be submitted to the school. And the NCAA can ask to review the deal. So if it turns out that this deal is illegal and/or unenforceble, it could also put F$U in jeopardy. And don't even get me started on the fact that this whole "plan" was such a public secret around the F$U program that random posters on three different websites were prematurely sucking each other's d!cks in anticipation of this visit. Let's not pretend that anyone at UM wasn't aware of this and/or prepared for this.

And NONE OF THAT accounts for Mims' true intentions. We won't know that for certain until the LOI is signed and he actually enrolls. But I will say this. If he went to THESE lengths, and lied SO MUCH to so so many people, then it would be a completely unprecedented level of deception and something that we should learn from and be happy to not be associated with any longer. Don't get me wrong, he has tremendous talent. But the character? If this has all been a massive troll job? And I know, there will always be some porsters who think that UM should sign Charlie Manson if he can run a 4.3 in the 40.
There is probably some great stuff in here but I have the attention span of an 8 year old with ADD who forgot to his meds. This is too much for me to handle.

I mean If we lined up Manson in the slot, moved him around a bit and utilized his skill set, plenty of opposing defenders would look into his eyes and see Lucifer himself…

I kid. But well-written post and spot on; at the end of the day, only Mims himself knows where he’s going…but now the annoying part: letting it all play out.

Advertisement
Seems like only 2 things are "confirmed" so far.

1. He did make a trip to Tally and is still there.
2. He didn't commit to FSU (per his own words).

Everything else is speculation.

If he makes it down to Miami, I think we'll have a good shot. But I know FSU is gonna do everything they can to prevent that.

The Ruiz tweeting about Mims doesn't say anything either way except they're aware of him and will put an NIL deal together for him. Other than that, I'm not sure them tweeting about him is necessarily a good thing. Seems like if they knew they had him locked up they'd be better off saying nothing.

He quite literally can’t be on FSU’s campus past Friday night (forget Saturday morning) if yesterday counted as the start of his OV. It’s a 48 hour turnaround - so unless they’re saying it officially starts today and not Wednesday night - Newberg is missing several brain cells (we knew this already).

It's an interesting NCAA loophole. If an internet writer declares that a visit starts later than it actually started, you can get extra time with the recruit.

The landmark legal case of Warchant v. NCAA. Google it...

Advertisement
if you are a canes fan and you spend more than a few minutes lamenting the loss of this kid you spent too much time. Mario will build a top notch O line here with Mims or without him, that much is certain. of course I would rather have him but if he goes to FSU without coming down here then it never was a realistic possibility anyway. do I cry when I don't win the powerball? no. same here.

I thought he was 247.. the site saying he did not sign with FSU
He's as Nole as they come and all he did last night was hedge at an elementary school level as all the other mouthbreathers up there went all in on the commit story as they jerked each other off. Budd and 247 may have said there was "no official commit" but he did it as he dropping crystal balls too. So it's a no lose and especially so when his audience probably would struggle to tie velcro shoes.

Advertisement
We gotta learn not to count the eggs in the basket before they hatch. But oh well, we got a spring ball game to worry about in 2 days plus all of the other additions to look foward to this season
It’s very embarrassing. It makes it even worse that you got the Ruiz family joining in on the childish Twitter stuff too. The truth is, if we lose Mims we have lost every major portal battle we’ve been in. The fact that our fanbase felt the need to troll and act like this is a done deal before it was, was comical. The crazier part is I know majority of those trolling on our side have been in the world of recruiting for a very long time. Nothing is ever a guarantee. Portal recruiting is a completely different animal

We gotta learn not to count the eggs in the basket before they hatch. But oh well, we got a spring ball game to worry about in 2 days plus all of the other additions to look foward to this season

A potential bookend elite offensive tackle with a ceiling so high you can't even ******* see it >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> A spring game

One ancillary benefit on top of everything else and the comedy gold if this kid doesn't end up in Tally will be the discrediting of Budd Eliot.

Truth be told, I have no idea of his previous credibility but he's getting too much respek around here for my liking. I offer that courtesy to no Nole let alone one that might just stand out because he's the tallest midget in a room full of 3 footers with extra chromosomes that swirl around FSU.

Ira Schoffel is the author of the warchant article, so throw him on the fire too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back