Am I too much a prisoner of the moment?

Advertisement
Somebody tell me that my thinking is too micro on this, and that this is really actually 17 games into a 3-5 year total rebuild......but I think the UNC game this weekend is probably the biggest game we've played for the long-term direction of the program in several years.

Nothing will ever erase Saturday night from my brain, and no matter what he does (aside from winning a championship of some sort), Mario is always going to have to recruit against yet ANOTHER late-game decision-making blunder, but going up to play the #12 team in the country, in prime-time, and coming home with a win does SOMEWHAT put that in the rearview.

But I'm very nervous about what we saw Saturday bleeding into this week, and us going up there and getting blown off the field, and if that happens, somebody please tell me that I'm being irrational in saying that it will have MASSIVE, long-term implications for the overall health of the program going forward. And what I mean is, people already negatively recruited against Mario citing his in-game coaching acumen, or lack thereof. Now, that gets ratcheted up about a million levels. The only way to shut that **** down is to win football games, and quickly, against big time opponents. Say what you want, and I know Mario is the world's most hated man on this site right now, but all things considered, we've done a ton of good thus far just less than a year and a half into his tenure. If (and yes, a gigantic "if") this staff just doesn't make the most boneheaded decision in the history of the sport, we're 5-0, Top 15 in the country, and I think we can all agree just the entire operation this season has been much improved, and prior to the last 30 seconds of the game Saturday night, as poorly as we played, we were about to survive an off-night and get through the first 5 games of the season unscathed.

But my concern is a loss this week, if it's somewhat non-competitive, actually lowers the ceiling for the entire program going forward. I completely understand we somehow got a commitment from a Top 60 overall player after what we witnessed Saturday night, but at some point, you have to practice what you preach. You can't sell these kids forever that you've got an elite program, and then lose games on the field while also literally giving them away on the sidelines. So, someone tell me that this is a big game on Saturday, but it's just the next game, and we can still lose and still go 9-3 or 8-4 and I think before the season, we would have been somewhat OK with that. And that will be good enough to continue being able to build the program in the right direction. I just feel like basically ALL of the goodness the team had built up through the first 4 weeks went right out the window on Sat night, and it's not even because they lost. It's because they lost LIKE THAT.

Am I being too dramatic and emotional? Or is Saturday night a massive indicator for the direction of the program for the next SEVERAL years?
I was hoping Richt and even Manny could leave a full cupboard for the next coach. Mario appears to be that guy. If you don’t want to see the occasional loss to an inferior team, I suggest taking on a new obsession. Mario is here whether you agree with his choices or not.

My hope is in the 2030s, Miami does not return to its cheap hiring practices for the next guy. We’ll be back to Randy Shannon again.

there's a ceiling to how far a team can go when someone who needs a second timeout to know when he can kneel down to win the game is making game time decisions....and that ceiling is way below a championship. So next weeks game doesn't mean much unless its the first game he decides to remove himself from any decisions on game day

The answer is yes, you are being a prisoner of the moment

But you’re not exactly incorrect either

I’m trying to gather my full thoughts for later in the week, but the best thing for us right now is to have a massive amount of adversity thrown at us. This is the type of team with leadership. It’s the biggest difference in my eyes with last years roster

I think last years team wouldn’t have wanted to play this UNC game where this team has probably been chomping at the bit to get back on the field since Saturday night

Winning mentalities want to get right back out there and beyond literally the worst **** up ive ever seen in any sport personally, I think we have a huge group of guys that fits that category

If 5 years down the road and we stacked and not making playoffs or anything then I can understand someone else taking over. But if we got into a few playoffs (remember where we were), cause that football is like giants football boring slow and bland. I don’t want that.

How we have looked this season is a team with a legit future. And a good one especially up front.

Also they not firing him anytime soon so far starting vs the other HCs second seasons it looks different. Don’t know how anyone did in year two golden mark randy golden but would be interesting to take a look. And to see who left sfla by the droves, and what elite oos national dudes those guys have gotten while here. I’m sure without looking it’s a big difference. Mario brought in more dogs (in one true cycle)then those coaches entire tenures here
you really only need 3 seasons tops to get a sense of the coaching tenure at a place nowadays w the portal. if we struggle to finish the year again and dont have a. bounce back next year, its not gonna suddenly turnaround. eventually, the talent wont come.

winning will always be the recruiter esp when youre a marquee brand program (programs w no ceilings - UF, FSU, UM, LSU, Bama, UGA, AU, UTexas, USC, etc.)

Advertisement
The answer is yes, you are being a prisoner of the moment

But you’re not exactly incorrect either

I’m trying to gather my full thoughts for later in the week, but the best thing for us right now is to have a massive amount of adversity thrown at us. This is the type of team with leadership. It’s the biggest difference in my eyes with last years roster

I think last years team wouldn’t have wanted to play this UNC game where this team has probably been chomping at the bit to get back on the field since Saturday night

Winning mentalities want to get right back out there and beyond literally the worst **** up ive ever seen in any sport personally, I think we have a huge group of guys that fits that category
I think the diff between this year and other times where the team had a set back is that it wasn't a bad game or injury, it's a win that was taken away by the HC. I dont blame a kid for not having confidence in their coach after that. thats what makes this fragile imo. do these kids trust their coaches and have faith to keep buying in or are they gonna take the game into their own hands?

I think the diff between this year and other times where the team had a set back is that it wasn't a bad game or injury, it's a win that was taken away by the HC. I dont blame a kid for not having confidence in their coach after that. thats what makes this fragile imo. do these kids trust their coaches and have faith to keep buying in or are they gonna take the game into their own hands?
Perhaps but I think it’s too dramatic

Most of these guys have spent months or years talking with Mario every single day and building bonds. You don’t just lose that in 40 seconds.

Not saying there’s “nothing” to what you’re saying but I think it’s being too dramatic because everyone is ****ed off

Kind of my thought process too and why I made the thread. I'm struggling with coming up with an analogy, but I feel like in any walk of life you're more prone to give up on something if someone involved proves they continually do the same thing incorrectly over and over vs if they do different things incorrectly multiple times.

People already said Mario is a poor gameday coach. We tried to poo-poo on that, but then here he comes again to rub our faces in it with not only an egregious decision, but one that literally cost us a game and made us a national laughingstock. So the only way to do distance yourself from that is to win games. Big games against good teams. That's literally the only way around this. You think I'm a bad gameday coach? Great, but guess what? I keep winning games. So kiss my ***. We've got a big game against a good team this week. My whole point was basically, this is an opportunity to either distance yourself from the mistake, or to let it avalanche you and get your *** kicked, at which point this whole thing becomes very fragile, IMO.

Advertisement
Kind of my thought process too and why I made the thread. I'm struggling with coming up with an analogy, but I feel like in any walk of life you're more prone to give up on something if someone involved proves they continually do the same thing incorrectly over and over vs if they do different things incorrectly multiple times.

People already said Mario is a poor gameday coach. We tried to poo-poo on that, but then here he comes again to rub our faces in it with not only an egregious decision, but one that literally cost us a game and made us a national laughingstock. So the only way to do distance yourself from that is to win games. Big games against good teams. That's literally the only way around this. You think I'm a bad gameday coach? Great, but guess what? I keep winning games. So kiss my ***. We've got a big game against a good team this week. My whole point was basically, this is an opportunity to either distance yourself from the mistake, or to let it avalanche you and get your *** kicked, at which point this whole thing becomes very fragile, IMO.

My friend. There is no analogy. He adapts or we are all ****ed…

At this point, it’s like a blown save. Need another win to move on…

Emotions are running high after a devastating loss like this one but I do think Miami is on the right path. We look better and that OL is the real deal. The RB are good as are the tight ends and have ok WR. A loss is a loss is a loss whether you lose by 60 or like we did this weekend ( as bad as it was). Everyone has to forget about this as hard as that may be and go get redemption against NC. **** GT lost to bowling green and managed to to the same. Now the question is can we do it. I say yes

Somebody tell me that my thinking is too micro on this, and that this is really actually 17 games into a 3-5 year total rebuild......but I think the UNC game this weekend is probably the biggest game we've played for the long-term direction of the program in several years.

Nothing will ever erase Saturday night from my brain, and no matter what he does (aside from winning a championship of some sort), Mario is always going to have to recruit against yet ANOTHER late-game decision-making blunder, but going up to play the #12 team in the country, in prime-time, and coming home with a win does SOMEWHAT put that in the rearview.

But I'm very nervous about what we saw Saturday bleeding into this week, and us going up there and getting blown off the field, and if that happens, somebody please tell me that I'm being irrational in saying that it will have MASSIVE, long-term implications for the overall health of the program going forward. And what I mean is, people already negatively recruited against Mario citing his in-game coaching acumen, or lack thereof. Now, that gets ratcheted up about a million levels. The only way to shut that **** down is to win football games, and quickly, against big time opponents. Say what you want, and I know Mario is the world's most hated man on this site right now, but all things considered, we've done a ton of good thus far just less than a year and a half into his tenure. If (and yes, a gigantic "if") this staff just doesn't make the most boneheaded decision in the history of the sport, we're 5-0, Top 15 in the country, and I think we can all agree just the entire operation this season has been much improved, and prior to the last 30 seconds of the game Saturday night, as poorly as we played, we were about to survive an off-night and get through the first 5 games of the season unscathed.

But my concern is a loss this week, if it's somewhat non-competitive, actually lowers the ceiling for the entire program going forward. I completely understand we somehow got a commitment from a Top 60 overall player after what we witnessed Saturday night, but at some point, you have to practice what you preach. You can't sell these kids forever that you've got an elite program, and then lose games on the field while also literally giving them away on the sidelines. So, someone tell me that this is a big game on Saturday, but it's just the next game, and we can still lose and still go 9-3 or 8-4 and I think before the season, we would have been somewhat OK with that. And that will be good enough to continue being able to build the program in the right direction. I just feel like basically ALL of the goodness the team had built up through the first 4 weeks went right out the window on Sat night, and it's not even because they lost. It's because they lost LIKE THAT.

Am I being too dramatic and emotional? Or is Saturday night a massive indicator for the direction of the program for the next SEVERAL years?

I'm going from memory - but I believe it was Jimmy Johnson's last game against Notre Dame - and we lost - due to a bad call at the end of the game. Should it have ever come down to that?

There are others - too many to say that this past Saturday was THE END.

I seem to recall a loss to Boston College due to a Hail Mary pass at the end of the game. Why didn't we bum rush the QB and put him flat on his back? Prevent prevents nothing.

**** happens.

It's what we do after that - that counts.

Let's trot them out this next game and see what happens. I don't see our guys breaking.

Advertisement
If Mario can dig this team out the depths of **** he dug them into this weekend it will be a good start but thats it. He will need to win 9 -10 games this year, the bar went up.
That was always the bar. He just wasted some of his margin of error.

He just did it colossal fashion.

Im no coach nor a motivator but this is the perfect week for Mario to get a sports psychologist in there to speak to the team and to hopefully use this as motivation for this weeks game

Use this as a learning tool to motivate

Remember, Jimmy put the FSU video on and walked out of the locker room

Advertisement
That was always the bar. He just wasted some of his margin of error.

He just did it colossal fashion.
No you are wrong. Going into season winning 8 games going in would have gotten him some goodwill. Now the world views him as a corch and he and Miami are viewed as incompetent on every network and website. He needs to overachieve. If you disagree then dont reply. I dont care to educate any further.

No you are wrong. Going into season winning 8 games going in would have gotten him some goodwill. Now the world views him as a corch and he and Miami are viewed as incompetent on every network and website. He needs to overachieve. If you disagree then dont reply. I dont care to educate any further.
Don’t bother.

Eight wins is only your opinion.

It could have been worse. You could have also been a Cowboys fan. This was an awful no good rotten sports weekend.

Advertisement
Back