Am I too much a prisoner of the moment?

Advertisement
All of college football views our head coach as a bumbling buffoon. On top of that they saw the typical Miami meltdown while wearing their cute , flashy uniforms. To them it’s the same ole Miami . all flash, no substance. Which bothers me because this team is much different from previous teams. From leadership , maturity , accountability , mental toughness and miAt importantly they care.

One boneheaded decision has twisted a narrative that was starting to turn with national pundits. “Maybe this team is different“.

I could be wrong and if so I’m sure I’ll be reminded but I just don’t see this team quitting or collapsing. It just doesn’t fit most of these kids dna. I’ve been saying since the offseason this “group is different”.

I expect to see a wounded animal Saturday. Which is always the most dangerous animal. Win or lose I think they bring it.

All that said OP is r , this game is enormous for the short term and longterm health of the program.
Hope they coach/play like they can’t wait to get the bad taste out of their mouths. Next game is a great opportunity to redeem themselves.

Somebody tell me that my thinking is too micro on this, and that this is really actually 17 games into a 3-5 year total rebuild......but I think the UNC game this weekend is probably the biggest game we've played for the long-term direction of the program in several years.

Nothing will ever erase Saturday night from my brain, and no matter what he does (aside from winning a championship of some sort), Mario is always going to have to recruit against yet ANOTHER late-game decision-making blunder, but going up to play the #12 team in the country, in prime-time, and coming home with a win does SOMEWHAT put that in the rearview.

But I'm very nervous about what we saw Saturday bleeding into this week, and us going up there and getting blown off the field, and if that happens, somebody please tell me that I'm being irrational in saying that it will have MASSIVE, long-term implications for the overall health of the program going forward. And what I mean is, people already negatively recruited against Mario citing his in-game coaching acumen, or lack thereof. Now, that gets ratcheted up about a million levels. The only way to shut that **** down is to win football games, and quickly, against big time opponents. Say what you want, and I know Mario is the world's most hated man on this site right now, but all things considered, we've done a ton of good thus far just less than a year and a half into his tenure. If (and yes, a gigantic "if") this staff just doesn't make the most boneheaded decision in the history of the sport, we're 5-0, Top 15 in the country, and I think we can all agree just the entire operation this season has been much improved, and prior to the last 30 seconds of the game Saturday night, as poorly as we played, we were about to survive an off-night and get through the first 5 games of the season unscathed.

But my concern is a loss this week, if it's somewhat non-competitive, actually lowers the ceiling for the entire program going forward. I completely understand we somehow got a commitment from a Top 60 overall player after what we witnessed Saturday night, but at some point, you have to practice what you preach. You can't sell these kids forever that you've got an elite program, and then lose games on the field while also literally giving them away on the sidelines. So, someone tell me that this is a big game on Saturday, but it's just the next game, and we can still lose and still go 9-3 or 8-4 and I think before the season, we would have been somewhat OK with that. And that will be good enough to continue being able to build the program in the right direction. I just feel like basically ALL of the goodness the team had built up through the first 4 weeks went right out the window on Sat night, and it's not even because they lost. It's because they lost LIKE THAT.

Am I being too dramatic and emotional? Or is Saturday night a massive indicator for the direction of the program for the next SEVERAL years?
It is not "the biggest game we've played for the long-term direction of the program in several years." Nearly every sports fan is way too knee-jerk reactionary. Would losing suck next Saturday? Of course. Big time. But just as the pendulum can swing in the "Oh, God, everything is terrible" direction it can swing in the other direction too. If we lose to UNC but beat Clemson and FSU then the mood will be Miami is on the upswing. That's just sports. The knee-jerking goes both ways.

Ultimately, think of it this way. We had TERRIBLE losses last year but still pulled in some major recruiting talent. As long as you can keep recruiting and stacking talent, it's really hard to label a single game as determinative of what will happen the next several years. The direction is really built on the little things that hopefully stack up over time and not a single game.

Agreed!!

We have to beat unc or this season gets ugly. Clemson is down but we haven't beat them in forever. Fsu is playing well and stomped us last year. Louisville is looking better.

8 wins in year 2 is a massive failure with the talent we have.
I expected about 8. I feel like the roster still needs turnover and this cycle brings that. we lose important guys we have to replace on the OL. We need a center and qb we needs dts. I know Blount will probably be in this class (that’s what I’m expecting). But we need more elite DLineman in the interior. I like what we are doing at DE next season we about to see some savage DE that can be physical and set the edge. I have been enjoying this build like it’s ncaa football 2014. Ever since that Skinner flip I was like ok we got a real recruiter. Dude just arrives sees a weakness in a bama commit and goes for it.

Advertisement
I expected about 8. I feel like the roster still needs turnover and this cycle brings that. we lose important guys we have to replace on the OL. We need a center and qb we needs dts. I know Blount will probably be in this class (that’s what I’m expecting). But we need more elite DLineman in the interior. I like what we are doing at DE next season we about to see some savage DE that can be physical and set the edge.
We have top 15 talent.

9 wins is minimum that should be accepted for year 2 at 8 million per year.

We have top 15 talent.

9 wins is minimum that should be accepted for year 2 at 8 million per year.
I could see that argument it’s a good one and if you feel that way I can’t argue it. It’s a good argument that I may have to agree with if I was in your shoes lol. I’m being patient though lol to a point

I could see that argument it’s a good one and if you feel that way I can’t argue it. It’s a good argument that I may have to agree with if I was in your shoes lol. I’m being patient though lol to a point
I get it mane. We all want to be back!!

You were extremely critical of golden and manny. I know mario is stacking talent and thats big to you. At some point you have to start being critical of the coaching though.

Just my opinion though.

Advertisement
Simply put, I think you're over thinking things.

What matters most is NIL. You have enough money, you can buy wins or championships now.

Secondly, NFL production. Right now things are skewed as kids chase the money right now.

Third, you've got wins. That's being somewhat skewed by NIL, but the top players who can lowball NIL deals are still winning games by and large.

Lastlt, relationships for recruiting.

NIL is why we land who we land. It can blind kids to the rest of the above. That and there's some kids and families who still believe in relationships.

We bomb UNC or whatever the rest of the season we'll still get some players. Eventually that well will run empty though if we don't NIL the **** out of things, produce, or find believers. Money fixes all and as the true elites find themselves with some losses, bet on the NIL game being upped. It's all in it's infancy right now. Like those schools have always done, they'll find a way to win at all costs.

Last edited:
I get it mane. We all want to be back!!

You were extremely critical of golden and manny. I know mario is stacking talent and thats big to you. At some point you have to start being critical of the coaching though.

Just my opinion though.
That’s true that’s true if it were other coaches I would lose it cause I see what they were bringing in. I felt it wasn’t elite level to compete. I think with time we will see us win east games like this. Lol and you know me cause your exactly right 😂

Now fsu has to win vs us all the pressure is on them it’s perfect. We going to be playing with house money and they are going to be surprised how physical we are. My only question is TVD and it was before the season.

Advertisement
Do we have the heart and courage?
Are we a fear-riddled fake of a team coached by a fake of a coach like we've been too many of the last 20 years?

We'll find out.

Personally, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by this stuff our guys are made of.

IDK if that means a win but it **** sure better mean a helluva challenge to UNC at the very least.

That’s true that’s true if it were other coaches I would lose it cause I see what they were bringing in. I felt it wasn’t elite level to compete. I think with time we will see us win east games like this. Lol and you know me cause your exactly right 😂
I hope we start winning the easy ones. Even with our current talent we should of beat gt by 14 minimum.

10 wins minimum next season. No excuses after another full class and portal additions.

Advertisement
Spot on. Mario set the program back 2-3 years with his awful staff and season last year. Missing on key recruits bc of it. Giving away Saturdays game which is more than likely gonna lead to 3 straight losses (history tells us it will) it’ll set the program back another 2 years. The narrative goes from Miami is legit to Miami didn’t play anybody and once conference play started they showed who they really were.

IMO if TVD takes a knee, the momentum continues to build. The story turns into, this Miami team is different. They finally won a game they didn’t show up in. That hasn’t happened in 2 decades. Everything Mario is doing is working. It’s all coming together. Not to mention the team would be much more likely to win this weekend.

I get little further away from this and I’m not looking to jump off the ledge just yet. I think most of this roster is probably mentally strong enough to move past this.

Only one guy I’m worried won’t. TVD. He seemed very out of it Saturday. I thought with the long bomb to Young maybe he’d do enough to get himself out of that hole but the lose I just don’t know if he can or will.

His first drive will tell me how this game is going to go. If they just trot out two dives and an out to Restrepo hang it up the game is over. If Mario wants to save this season he’s going to have to let TVD play that he has the confidence of this team and staff. Neutering this offense to prevent ints will cause more issues than it will solve.

All of college football views our head coach as a bumbling buffoon. On top of that they saw the typical Miami meltdown while wearing their cute , flashy uniforms. To them it’s the same ole Miami . all flash, no substance. Which bothers me because this team is much different from previous teams. From leadership , maturity , accountability , mental toughness and miAt importantly they care.

One boneheaded decision has twisted a narrative that was starting to turn with national pundits. “Maybe this team is different“.

I could be wrong and if so I’m sure I’ll be reminded but I just don’t see this team quitting or collapsing. It just doesn’t fit most of these kids dna. I’ve been saying since the offseason this “group is different”.

I expect to see a wounded animal Saturday. Which is always the most dangerous animal. Win or lose I think they bring it.

All that said OP is r , this game is enormous for the short term and longterm health of the program.

I just said a lot of the same in the Pate thread....seeing Matt Lee sobbing on the sideline and him being a major leader on this team makes me feel better about the attitude going forward. I know that kid cares, and if he cares, being the leader he is, I know a lot of other kids care too.

It's just a really weird feeling to me and the reason I made the thread.....I don't think I'd feel the same way if we just got beat 30-20 or something like that. I wouldn't think the game this weekend is as important as I do today. It's because of how we lost that makes me feel this way, for the exact reason you said. The country thinks our coach is a bumbling buffoon, and he made the most bumblicious buffoonery decision of all decisions. So how can you trust this person with your future? Well, I think you can, if he turns around and beats UNC up there in prime time. But I think the questions become a lot more valid if you go up there and drop your pants and bend over with no resistance. And we know this guy isn't going to increase win percentages late in games with his managerial skills, so the reason he was hired and the reason I was/still am so excited for the outlook of the program with him here is he can recruit so many good players that it doesn't really matter how great he is at the second by second managing of a game. But that's not going to be the case if he keeps making mistakes like this and then doesn't correct them with wins over good teams.

We MUST come out fired up and play tough Saturday night. Win or lose, the game has to be a fight late into the 4th quarter or I really feel like we could be capping the long-term health of the program. IMO the ceiling is still VERY high here. I'm not sure it stays that way if this team folds for the rest of the season and we limp to an 8-4 type finish.

Advertisement
Back