Am I too much a prisoner of the moment?

Advertisement
Somebody tell me that my thinking is too micro on this, and that this is really actually 17 games into a 3-5 year total rebuild......but I think the UNC game this weekend is probably the biggest game we've played for the long-term direction of the program in several years.

Nothing will ever erase Saturday night from my brain, and no matter what he does (aside from winning a championship of some sort), Mario is always going to have to recruit against yet ANOTHER late-game decision-making blunder, but going up to play the #12 team in the country, in prime-time, and coming home with a win does SOMEWHAT put that in the rearview.

But I'm very nervous about what we saw Saturday bleeding into this week, and us going up there and getting blown off the field, and if that happens, somebody please tell me that I'm being irrational in saying that it will have MASSIVE, long-term implications for the overall health of the program going forward. And what I mean is, people already negatively recruited against Mario citing his in-game coaching acumen, or lack thereof. Now, that gets ratcheted up about a million levels. The only way to shut that **** down is to win football games, and quickly, against big time opponents. Say what you want, and I know Mario is the world's most hated man on this site right now, but all things considered, we've done a ton of good thus far just less than a year and a half into his tenure. If (and yes, a gigantic "if") this staff just doesn't make the most boneheaded decision in the history of the sport, we're 5-0, Top 15 in the country, and I think we can all agree just the entire operation this season has been much improved, and prior to the last 30 seconds of the game Saturday night, as poorly as we played, we were about to survive an off-night and get through the first 5 games of the season unscathed.

But my concern is a loss this week, if it's somewhat non-competitive, actually lowers the ceiling for the entire program going forward. I completely understand we somehow got a commitment from a Top 60 overall player after what we witnessed Saturday night, but at some point, you have to practice what you preach. You can't sell these kids forever that you've got an elite program, and then lose games on the field while also literally giving them away on the sidelines. So, someone tell me that this is a big game on Saturday, but it's just the next game, and we can still lose and still go 9-3 or 8-4 and I think before the season, we would have been somewhat OK with that. And that will be good enough to continue being able to build the program in the right direction. I just feel like basically ALL of the goodness the team had built up through the first 4 weeks went right out the window on Sat night, and it's not even because they lost. It's because they lost LIKE THAT.

Am I being too dramatic and emotional? Or is Saturday night a massive indicator for the direction of the program for the next SEVERAL years?
Holy **** it was only today I realize I’ve never seen you and @TheOriginalCane in the same place at the same time

Miami 45
UNC 17 (garbage time TD)

moving on to Clemson.
Drunk Head First GIF by Barstool Sports

Just win. We punch UNC in the mouth and walk out with a W and the train keeps moving forward in the right direction. Croots will buy right back in. Momentum is back. Clemson game will be packed out. Etc. This isn't a natty team so the GT loss (while devastating watching that L) prob won't matter much late in the year.

Advertisement
Feels like the most I important game because it's the next game but if I had to choose one loss it would be UNC over FSU. That is our biggest game this year with the perception that team has right now. I'll take losing to a top 5 pick over a third year of back yard ball Travis.

The silver lining if at all there is one is that.. IF (Big IF) we end up winning the rest of our games, they would blame the coaches bumbling for this loss and might not hold against the team as a whole.... I can dream..

Somebody tell me that my thinking is too micro on this, and that this is really actually 17 games into a 3-5 year total rebuild......but I think the UNC game this weekend is probably the biggest game we've played for the long-term direction of the program in several years.

Nothing will ever erase Saturday night from my brain, and no matter what he does (aside from winning a championship of some sort), Mario is always going to have to recruit against yet ANOTHER late-game decision-making blunder, but going up to play the #12 team in the country, in prime-time, and coming home with a win does SOMEWHAT put that in the rearview.

But I'm very nervous about what we saw Saturday bleeding into this week, and us going up there and getting blown off the field, and if that happens, somebody please tell me that I'm being irrational in saying that it will have MASSIVE, long-term implications for the overall health of the program going forward. And what I mean is, people already negatively recruited against Mario citing his in-game coaching acumen, or lack thereof. Now, that gets ratcheted up about a million levels. The only way to shut that **** down is to win football games, and quickly, against big time opponents. Say what you want, and I know Mario is the world's most hated man on this site right now, but all things considered, we've done a ton of good thus far just less than a year and a half into his tenure. If (and yes, a gigantic "if") this staff just doesn't make the most boneheaded decision in the history of the sport, we're 5-0, Top 15 in the country, and I think we can all agree just the entire operation this season has been much improved, and prior to the last 30 seconds of the game Saturday night, as poorly as we played, we were about to survive an off-night and get through the first 5 games of the season unscathed.

But my concern is a loss this week, if it's somewhat non-competitive, actually lowers the ceiling for the entire program going forward. I completely understand we somehow got a commitment from a Top 60 overall player after what we witnessed Saturday night, but at some point, you have to practice what you preach. You can't sell these kids forever that you've got an elite program, and then lose games on the field while also literally giving them away on the sidelines. So, someone tell me that this is a big game on Saturday, but it's just the next game, and we can still lose and still go 9-3 or 8-4 and I think before the season, we would have been somewhat OK with that. And that will be good enough to continue being able to build the program in the right direction. I just feel like basically ALL of the goodness the team had built up through the first 4 weeks went right out the window on Sat night, and it's not even because they lost. It's because they lost LIKE THAT.

Am I being too dramatic and emotional? Or is Saturday night a massive indicator for the direction of the program for the next SEVERAL years?
We all felt the disappointment! We're human! Mario is human Dawson is human Chaney is human TVD is human we all make mistakes. I was raised it's all about how u come back from those mistakes. I know some people gonna say it's not his first time doing this (Mario) well we've all made some mistakes we didn't learn from the first second or third go round. **** we went 5-7 last year an this year we came out looking very promising and we still can do some big things this year. Before the season started I saw the majority of the board saying 8 wins an they would be happy when someone said 9 you had people saying pump your breaks. 10 wins an people were laughing saying no way🤷 Mario has added talent that we were no way getting past years were gonna be fine **** happens time to move on we win out an nobody will be mentioning this game we'll be set to roll for years to come. I 1000% trust Mario is going to have this team so **** stacked his game day corching won't even matter. RB we good, this WR class comin In, TE we good, look at the difference in our oline in one year, dline we good LB got some young Dawgs, CB were fine and Safety hopefully Kam and JW come back even they dont we'll be fine! This team I think is built different don't think they'll leave the game any anyone's hands for the rest of the year imo Go Canes💚🧡

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back