Am I too much a prisoner of the moment?

Somebody tell me that my thinking is too micro on this, and that this is really actually 17 games into a 3-5 year total rebuild......but I think the UNC game this weekend is probably the biggest game we've played for the long-term direction of the program in several years.

Nothing will ever erase Saturday night from my brain, and no matter what he does (aside from winning a championship of some sort), Mario is always going to have to recruit against yet ANOTHER late-game decision-making blunder, but going up to play the #12 team in the country, in prime-time, and coming home with a win does SOMEWHAT put that in the rearview.

But I'm very nervous about what we saw Saturday bleeding into this week, and us going up there and getting blown off the field, and if that happens, somebody please tell me that I'm being irrational in saying that it will have MASSIVE, long-term implications for the overall health of the program going forward. And what I mean is, people already negatively recruited against Mario citing his in-game coaching acumen, or lack thereof. Now, that gets ratcheted up about a million levels. The only way to shut that **** down is to win football games, and quickly, against big time opponents. Say what you want, and I know Mario is the world's most hated man on this site right now, but all things considered, we've done a ton of good thus far just less than a year and a half into his tenure. If (and yes, a gigantic "if") this staff just doesn't make the most boneheaded decision in the history of the sport, we're 5-0, Top 15 in the country, and I think we can all agree just the entire operation this season has been much improved, and prior to the last 30 seconds of the game Saturday night, as poorly as we played, we were about to survive an off-night and get through the first 5 games of the season unscathed.

But my concern is a loss this week, if it's somewhat non-competitive, actually lowers the ceiling for the entire program going forward. I completely understand we somehow got a commitment from a Top 60 overall player after what we witnessed Saturday night, but at some point, you have to practice what you preach. You can't sell these kids forever that you've got an elite program, and then lose games on the field while also literally giving them away on the sidelines. So, someone tell me that this is a big game on Saturday, but it's just the next game, and we can still lose and still go 9-3 or 8-4 and I think before the season, we would have been somewhat OK with that. And that will be good enough to continue being able to build the program in the right direction. I just feel like basically ALL of the goodness the team had built up through the first 4 weeks went right out the window on Sat night, and it's not even because they lost. It's because they lost LIKE THAT.

Am I being too dramatic and emotional? Or is Saturday night a massive indicator for the direction of the program for the next SEVERAL years?

Advertisement
I would say yes, maybe a little too emotional and dramatic, it's past the 24 hour mark now. We all saw what we saw Saturday, but it's time to move on.

It doesn't help anything to dwell on last week, we have shown we are a strong team (in other games) and it will show up again. You don't want to play a wounded animal.. and I think that will show up this week.

op i know you disagree with me on alot. No problem. With that said Saturday night and last season are who mario cristobal is.

Go ask oregon fans. Go ask fiu fans. They will all say the same thing I said all last year. Phenomenal recruiter and terrible game day coach. If he learned from his mistakes it would be one thing but he doesn't.

This is what we are going foward. Could he luck into a big season with all the talent he recruits? SURE but that will be the exception and not the rule.

My hope going forward because we are stuck with cristobal at least 5 more years. Is that he keeps recruiting at a insane level and we have a few 10 win seasons. Maybe win a few big games. Hopefully we get a real coach that will be left with a ton of talent.

Somebody tell me that my thinking is too micro on this, and that this is really actually 17 games into a 3-5 year total rebuild......but I think the UNC game this weekend is probably the biggest game we've played for the long-term direction of the program in several years.

Nothing will ever erase Saturday night from my brain, and no matter what he does (aside from winning a championship of some sort), Mario is always going to have to recruit against yet ANOTHER late-game decision-making blunder, but going up to play the #12 team in the country, in prime-time, and coming home with a win does SOMEWHAT put that in the rearview.

But I'm very nervous about what we saw Saturday bleeding into this week, and us going up there and getting blown off the field, and if that happens, somebody please tell me that I'm being irrational in saying that it will have MASSIVE, long-term implications for the overall health of the program going forward. And what I mean is, people already negatively recruited against Mario citing his in-game coaching acumen, or lack thereof. Now, that gets ratcheted up about a million levels. The only way to shut that **** down is to win football games, and quickly, against big time opponents. Say what you want, and I know Mario is the world's most hated man on this site right now, but all things considered, we've done a ton of good thus far just less than a year and a half into his tenure. If (and yes, a gigantic "if") this staff just doesn't make the most boneheaded decision in the history of the sport, we're 5-0, Top 15 in the country, and I think we can all agree just the entire operation this season has been much improved, and prior to the last 30 seconds of the game Saturday night, as poorly as we played, we were about to survive an off-night and get through the first 5 games of the season unscathed.

But my concern is a loss this week, if it's somewhat non-competitive, actually lowers the ceiling for the entire program going forward. I completely understand we somehow got a commitment from a Top 60 overall player after what we witnessed Saturday night, but at some point, you have to practice what you preach. You can't sell these kids forever that you've got an elite program, and then lose games on the field while also literally giving them away on the sidelines. So, someone tell me that this is a big game on Saturday, but it's just the next game, and we can still lose and still go 9-3 or 8-4 and I think before the season, we would have been somewhat OK with that. And that will be good enough to continue being able to build the program in the right direction. I just feel like basically ALL of the goodness the team had built up through the first 4 weeks went right out the window on Sat night, and it's not even because they lost. It's because they lost LIKE THAT.

Am I being too dramatic and emotional? Or is Saturday night a massive indicator for the direction of the program for the next SEVERAL years?
If Mario can dig this team out the depths of **** he dug them into this weekend it will be a good start but thats it. He will need to win 9 -10 games this year, the bar went up.

Every game is important, and unc is a rivalry so its even more important but i dont think this single game win or loss has a long term effect of the program.

Now if we just come out and lay down then i can see it possibly derailing this season and that can have a long term effect but if we come out prepared and just lose a tuff game i dont think its the end of the world. Thats just us overly emotional after what happened Saturday imo

Advertisement
I said in another thread, we can easily win this game if we come to play. GT had less than 200 yards of offense before the last drive when our defense already rightly thought the game was over. That same offense put up almost 500 yards on Louisville and Ole Miss (the Bowling Green/GT game is one of the real outlier games of the season so far). We outgained GT by way more than those other 2 ranked teams. Refs and boneheaded mistakes were the only reasons this was even a game into the 4th quarter.
Now if the team is just shell-shocked and can't recover I guess we can get blowed out but I just don't see it. We're still a really good team I think. Dawson just needs to diversify the run game and go more tempo where TVD excels and we should be good.

I am feeling all of the same emotions. On one hand, I don't know how I ever move on from the blunder Saturday night. It wasn't a matter of X&O's or "clock management". It was significantly simpler than that. It was basic, grade school math. I don't remember being as red faced ****ed watching a game as I was that night. Even a few days later I am still having a hard time processing it. However, if all of the sudden we are just going to forget about how we felt after the first 4 games and how well they were playing and the potential the team had for this year, then maybe we are being too emotional(although I will argue to the death its completely justified). If we play the same way they played games 1-4 on Saturday night and pull off an impressive win, I can mentally get back on track. If they dont and lose badly, I can just go right back to the mental state of apathy I have had for the last 15 years. Either way, I will always be there for every game but my excitement level will vary.

Last edited:

Thematically you are in the right circus tent, but the lack of kneel down is the wrong event to lay blame.

Very likely wheels come off the wagon at UNC.

I said in another thread, we can easily win this game if we come to play. GT had less than 200 yards of offense before the last drive when our defense already rightly thought the game was over. That same offense put up almost 500 yards on Louisville and Ole Miss (the Bowling Green/GT game is one of the real outlier games of the season so far). We outgained GT by way more than those other 2 ranked teams. Refs and boneheaded mistakes were the only reasons this was even a game into the 4th quarter.
Now if the team is just shell-shocked and can't recover I guess we can get blowed out but I just don't see it. We're still a really good team I think. Dawson just needs to diversify the run game and go more tempo where TVD excels and we should be good.
There is no scenario where Canes leave UNC with a W.

ACC refs will ensure it.

Advertisement
op i know you disagree with me on alot. No problem. With that said Saturday night and last season are who mario cristobal is.

Go ask oregon fans. Go ask fiu fans. They will all say the same thing I said all last year. Phenomenal recruiter and terrible game day coach. If he learned from his mistakes it would be one thing but he doesn't.

This is what we are going foward. Could he luck into a big season with all the talent he recruits? SURE but that will be the exception and not the rule.

My hope going forward because we are stuck with cristobal at least 5 more years. Is that he keeps recruiting at a insane level and we have a few 10 win seasons. Maybe win a few big games. Hopefully we get a real coach that will be left with a ton of talent.
But what happens afterward if the new HC stops bringing in elite talent?

We go through the same cycle and it falls apart before it got started. Hopefully he does well so it stays sustained and we do not have to go through this. Our O and D are capable and we have the play callers to do it but they made a bone head move. Besides the refs and the entire world helping GT…….and stop putting the TE at X if your not going to throw him the ball. The opposing dbs know this and are abandoning the TE to go for a pick. And TVD doesn’t see it or look them off it’s like he’s Daniel jones. I don’t understand. I think UGA fans were the same with Kirby saying game day corch until he won a natty and had the players. I’ll take that type of corch and when he loses this year (if they do) the fans will say he’s a terrible game day coach. There is always that crew that does that no matter who it is.

But what happens afterward if the new HC stops bringing in elite talent?

We go through the same cycle and it falls apart before it got started. Hopefully he does well so it stays sustained and we do not have to go through this. Our O and D are capable and we have the play callers to do it but they made a bone head move. Besides the refs and the entire world helping GT…….and stop putting the TE at X if your not going to throw him the ball. The opposing dbs know this and are abandoning the TE to go for a pick. And TVD doesn’t see it or look them off it’s like he’s Daniel jones. I don’t understand
You just listed alot of issues and you aren't being payed millions. Thats the issue

We have a moron leading us.

I can understand your question but thats playing what ifs. A real coach with funding from our billionaires will continue to bring in elite talent. Winning will keep bringing in talent.

Go get lane kiffin and stop ******* around.

Welp they aren't talking about Deion anymore you baffoons.
20231009_094056.jpg

Advertisement
Emotions run the gamut win or lose. It’s how we lost Sat that makes the loss sting a bit more thus takes a little more time to move on.

Is the UNC game a program changing game win or lose? There’s been many games the last several years where that same sentiment has been expressed and I don’t think any of said games changed the trajectory of the program one way or another.

Granted, a win will give us momentum for the rest of THIS season. A close loss could also do the same. Getting blown out could very well send us into a tail spin the rest of THIS season.

Let me preface my next comments by saying I don’t make excuses for anyone including myself. But here are a few facts that get lost in the emotions of the minute.

We have one of the youngest rosters in the country.
Mario is in year 2 of unclogging a 20 year old sewer clog.
We have 2 new coordinators that are probably still trying to figure out what the players do best and the players are probably still adapting to the 2 new systems.

We’ve shown signs of a different attitude amongst the players. The stench of the last 2 decades WILL NOT be overcome easily or in a short amount of time. Is Mario the answer? I think it’s too early to tell just yet.

You are not overreacting. Mario is what some feared he would be. And til he adapts concerns are incredibly valid and the heat needs to kick up - not to force him out, but to force him to wake up and adapt…

We played 4 games, and then messed with something during the bye week, fumbled away a 5-0 start. TVD looked terrible. When push came to shove we tightened up our **** and went from end this ************ right now back to Mariattis...

Mario needs to adapt. Apparently, he was too uncomfortable with winning, and got out coached by GT....

Advertisement
You just listed alot of issues and you aren't being payed millions. Thats the issue

We have a moron leading us.

I can understand your question but thats playing what ifs. A real coach with funding from our billionaires will continue to bring in elite talent. Winning will keep bringing in talent.

Go get lane kiffin and stop ******* around.
If 5 years down the road and we stacked and not making playoffs or anything then I can understand someone else taking over. But if we got into a few playoffs (remember where we were), cause that football is like giants football boring slow and bland. I don’t want that.

How we have looked this season is a team with a legit future. And a good one especially up front.

Also they not firing him anytime soon so far starting vs the other HCs second seasons it looks different. Don’t know how anyone did in year two golden mark randy golden but would be interesting to take a look. And to see who left sfla by the droves, and what elite oos national dudes those guys have gotten while here. I’m sure without looking it’s a big difference. Mario brought in more dogs (in one true cycle)then those coaches entire tenures here

I don't think a win or loss vs UNC will change anything.

We'll win between 6-9 games this year.

That'll make it between 6-9 wins in 17 of our last 20 years.

This year - we're exactly who we always are and always will be.
But we didn't bring in Mario, Zo and Rad to continue at that pace or go backwards....

Allegedly

Agreed one play just undid all the good that had been achieved. 4-0 was looking really good. Its gone now. Now can the team regroup or go in the pooper?

All of college football views our head coach as a bumbling buffoon. On top of that they saw the typical Miami meltdown while wearing their cute , flashy uniforms. To them it’s the same ole Miami . all flash, no substance. Which bothers me because this team is much different from previous teams. From leadership , maturity , accountability , mental toughness and miAt importantly they care.

One boneheaded decision has twisted a narrative that was starting to turn with national pundits. “Maybe this team is different“.

I could be wrong and if so I’m sure I’ll be reminded but I just don’t see this team quitting or collapsing. It just doesn’t fit most of these kids dna. I’ve been saying since the offseason this “group is different”.

I expect to see a wounded animal Saturday. Which is always the most dangerous animal. Win or lose I think they bring it.

All that said OP is r , this game is enormous for the short term and longterm health of the program.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back