AJ Legget

Williams recommended that Leggett could attend a prep school to help his academic standing. However, Leggett stated that he doesn't want to go the prep school route citing family reasons..

I find this to be the most concerning comment. It comes off like this kid is thinking he's an automatic draft pick in the 2016 draft (3 years of college).

I thought he just didnt want to leave his kid?

Advertisement
AJ doesn't want to leave his kids. His challenges facing him right now are clearinghouse, not grades. Clearinghouse will affect him at any school. I'm trying to really get in touch with him and have spoken to a few others, apparently he's bummed. Hopefully he calls me soon and I can have a face to face and see what he thinks his options are.

AJ doesn't want to leave his kids. His challenges facing him right now are clearinghouse, not grades. Clearinghouse will affect him at any school. I'm trying to really get in touch with him and have spoken to a few others, apparently he's bummed. Hopefully he calls me soon and I can have a face to face and see what he thinks his options are.

If the problem follows him everywhere....then it's not just UM. Might as well prep and come back next year. Can he graduate early and go to Prep in January?

One year at prep, away from his kid > 3-4 years away from his kid at another school

Plus, if his goal is to get to the NFL; there is no question the U is the place to be despite our recent struggles on the field. NFL scouts still love the U.

Advertisement

If the problem follows him everywhere....then it's not just UM. Might as well prep and come back next year. Can he graduate early and go to Prep in January?

Not possible to graduate early. When I speak to him, I'll see what's up. I feel for him, less than two days ago he thought he would get in grade wise, and I kept reminding him NCAA is the issue but we could work hard at it. Depending on what the coach actually said and what he's privy to, we'll have to go from there.

Ay, a year at a military prep school puts hair on your chest in balls. His 1 year old might thank him later for taking a 6mo hiatus before he comes home.

Not possible to graduate early. When I speak to him, I'll see what's up. I feel for him, less than two days ago he thought he would get in grade wise, and I kept reminding him NCAA is the issue but we could work hard at it. Depending on what the coach actually said and what he's privy to, we'll have to go from there.

The coach must have said something to really diminish all his hopes.

He needs to man up and accept that he faltered along the way. Man up and do what you gotta do

Advertisement
You go to prep in August, you're home by the beginning of December and you enroll for the January semester at Miami. You basically miss a **** semester, but you play the entire time, get your grades up where you don't have exterior factors messing with you, and you get your business taken care of...meanwhile, you can jump to the pros after two seasons of college ball.

Sometimes, I forget, we talkin' bout KIDS...not adults...but KIDS. They don't think rationally at times.

Last week when I visited South Miami High and spoke to All-American cornerback AJ Leggett before his team's big playoff game against Columbus he was gushing at the thought over playing for the Hurricanes next season.

"I've been wanting to play at UM all my life," he said. "I see a lot of opportunity there. I've been working hard to get my grades right, my test scores, my classes and stuff in line. The only thing I have to pass right now is Spanish and Math class in virtual school so I can graduate on time. If I maintain my grades, I'll be straight."

Leggett, who has a 2.4 GPA and recently scored a 22 on his ACT, might have all the grades and necessary paperwork to get past the NCAA Clearinghouse next year. But UM's academic admissions department? That appears to be an entirely different issue according to South Miami coach Lamont Green.

Earlier this week, Green said UM defensive backs coach Paul Williams stopped by the school to have a conversation with Leggett about his academic situation, particularly what he needs to get into UM. And now it appears UM is warning Leggett that if he signs with them in February he may have to spend a year a prep school.

"According to what Paul said since AJ went to more than two high schools, he's going to need the paperwork of every high school he went to -- and he warned him it's going to be a long process," Green said. "He was just saying if they sign him football wise they don't think academically the school will let him in right away and he'll have to go to prep school. He said based on what they saw last year with a couple other guys it was going to happen again this year."

Leggett, considered the 10th best cornerback in the country by Rivals.com, took to Facebook to voice his frustration on the news saying: "I dont think I will be playing In miami next year," according to InsideTheU.com.

Leggett attended four different high schools, beginning the ninth grade at South Miami before attending Booker T. Washington as a sophomore, Gulliver Prep as a junior, Homestead this summer and then South Miami again as a senior.

"All that switching really wasn't up to me. It was my parents," Leggett told me last week. "If it were up to me, I would have stayed at one or two programs -- probably here or Booker T."

Leggett led South Miami to a 9-3 season. He played quarterback and accounted for over 1,600 yards on offense and 15 touchdowns. On defense, he had four interceptions. Leggett plans on playing in the Offense-Defense All-American Bowl in Dallas, Texas as well as the Dade-Broward Game.

The issue now is what Leggett plans to do next. He said the reason he committed to UM and coach Al Golden -- after switching back and forth as a Florida State commitment -- was because he wanted to be close to home and his 11-month old son A.J. III.

"I have a responsibility here at home and I want to be with him," Leggett said. "It's good if you can play at a good college and be close to your kid."

Green said he's not sure what Leggett will do now, but said schools like Ohio State and Florida State are still interested in him. UM sorely needs cornerbacks in its recruiting class and has four other defensive back commitments. But Leggett is clearly considered the most talented of the bunch.

"At least they're letting him know now before he puts his signature on any documents what the deal is," Green said of Miami. "We'll see what he wants to do. Sometimes in college football things work out, sometimes it don't. They told him they definitely want him, but they want to be up front and not have him get frustrated. I don't know what he's thinking. I'm waiting on AJ to see how he wants to attack it."

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...up-in-ums-recruiting-class.html#ixzz1fKAtG0Zp

You go to prep in August, you're home by the beginning of December and you enroll for the January semester at Miami. You basically miss a **** semester, but you play the entire time, get your grades up where you don't have exterior factors messing with you, and you get your business taken care of...meanwhile, you can jump to the pros after two seasons of college ball.

Sometimes, I forget, we talkin' bout KIDS...not adults...but KIDS. They don't think rationally at times.

They got parents though, right?

Well a mom at least.

Advertisement

Well a mom at least.

The parents may not be the brightest folks around when it comes to planning an academic and professional future, either.

Feel bad for this kid. Sounds like the switching schools thing wasn't his idea, and sounds like he really wants to be a Cane. Hope the staff makes the extra effort to get the various school off their asses and getting transcipts in. I don't buy the "It's a private school, it's going to be harder to get in," argument at all. It should be easier.

Well a mom at least.

The parents may not be the brightest folks around when it comes to planning an academic and professional future, either.

Feel bad for this kid. Sounds like the switching schools thing wasn't his idea, and sounds like he really wants to be a Cane. Hope the staff makes the extra effort to get the various school off their asses and getting transcipts in. I don't buy the "It's a private school, it's going to be harder to get in," argument at all. It should be easier.

I agree. Honestly anyone who thought it would be smooth sailing getting AJ in ws in serious denial.

I wasn't convinced until I could actually see him in a Canes jersey. Too many potholes early on for this to go our way.

Ain't even mad. Been saying for some time that kid wont likely be in this class...that he'd likely have to go prep and if you've been following recruiting you'd have expected this to happen.

Advertisement
The ****** thing about this is we're losing him because of...paperwork.

Paperwork, y'all.

**** is ridiculous.

This is the kind of situation where a small, private university like UM sould be able to work through in order to get this kid in. However, that's the academic arrogance of UM for ya.

Advertisement
Back