Bama's offense was so good this year because it had Bama talent and BYU age. Look at the starting offense:

Mac Jones- 4th year
Najee Harris- 4th year
Devonta Smith- 4th year
Millar Forristal- 5th year
Landon ****erson- 5th year
Chris Owens- 5th year
Deonte Brown- 5th year
Alex Leatherwood- 4th year
Emil Ekiyor- 3rd year
Jaylen Waddle- 3rd year

The only two young players were Evan Neal and John Metchie, both sophomores.

The best thing about next year's Miami team is going to be the experience. We're finally seeing some talented players return to school and make reasonable NFL decisions. We'll still be a hundred point underdogs against Bama, and for good reason, but our age will help us in that game and the rest of the season.
Note that when we've discussed roster talent, evals and nfl stats over the years, I've consistently pointed out that it's effective roster in a given season you have to look at, not biased by some kid who ends up in the nfl years later. This was my point. Depth, maturity, competition in addition to talent. Zion may end up in the NFL, but that will be irrelevant to his lack of being ready to contribute as a true frosh LT. At Alabama, they generally don't have guys forced into the lineup who can't contribute. At UM, we're tryna hold some of our units together with tape and chewing gum.

Advertisement
Did you look at Leatherwood that dude is 100% man. He looked like he lived in the weight room. I still believe they pumping HGH to them boys at Bama because they all look ridiculous. The backup to Harris might’ve been bigger than him. Whole team just look like Freaks

Brian Robinson Jr is the back-up and he's a load with speed. Our D better work on tackling all year. That kid isn't for the faint of heart at the point of attack...we gonna need to gang tackle. Something not seen by us since ND.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Did you look at Leatherwood that dude is 100% man. He looked like he lived in the weight room. I still believe they pumping HGH to them boys at Bama because they all look ridiculous. The backup to Harris might’ve been bigger than him. Whole team just look like Freaks

It starts at the training table. These kids eat better than pro athletes. They have top chefs who make the meals there. It’s unreal.

Snaps and experience are unquestionably important but so are player development, talent, execution, and scheme. McCloud is a good example of how important coaches are in the ultimate success of a player as an upperclassman. Alabama players benefit from great coaches, player development, competition, and talent. Players know their PT for the most part will come as upperclassman and are willing to work hard until then. Our issues go way beyond experience and age.

i dont think age will make pope and wiggins catch any better
its not an age issue for us
its a talent and lack of development issue

Last edited:
Advertisement
Where we really need the age is on the OL and we should have it next year. Nelson looked like a different player in his second season and hopefully, a healthy motivated Donalson can add a road grader at G.

Note that when we've discussed roster talent, evals and nfl stats over the years, I've consistently pointed out that it's effective roster in a given season you have to look at, not biased by some kid who ends up in the nfl years later. This was my point. Depth, maturity, competition in addition to talent. Zion may end up in the NFL, but that will be irrelevant to his lack of being ready to contribute as a true frosh LT. At Alabama, they generally don't have guys forced into the lineup who can't contribute. At UM, we're tryna hold some of our units together with tape and chewing gum.
Bama stacks 5 star recruits at **** near every position EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Our roster has very little in common with theirs. They are on auto pilot as long as Saban runs the program. They won 11 games and a NY6 bowl game last year and it was considered a dismal year.

Advertisement
Obviously, how we fare against Bama will depend on King’s status. He’s got 8 months to rehab.

Year 2 in Lashlee’s offense with hopefully a full spring and fall camp. Bama will reload but won’t have Jones, Harris, Smith, Leatherwood, and ****erson.

If King’s available, I think we can score on them. Our D will be the big mystery.

Bama stacks 5 star recruits at **** near every position EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Our roster has very little in common with theirs. They are on auto pilot as long as Saban runs the program. They won 11 games and a NY6 bowl game last year and it was considered a dismal year.
So your conclusion is we should keep doing the same failed things over and over, because their roster is better than ours?

Advertisement
The problem is that most of our older guys suck. Wiggins, Pope, Scaife, Gaynor, Ivey, Hall, Jennings, McCloud, Carter, Ford, Blades.

Obviously, how we fare against Bama will depend on King’s status. He’s got 8 months to rehab.

Year 2 in Lashlee’s offense with hopefully a full spring and fall camp. Bama will reload but won’t have Jones, Harris, Smith, Leatherwood, and ****erson.

If King’s available, I think we can score on them. Our D will be the big mystery.
Their D is going to violate some laws by what they do to OL.

Agree. Also have to consider the fact is they get these players to stay 4 years because they are playing behind other top players. Take for example Devonta, where he is highly rated recruit, and he comes in and doesn't get burn playing behind Jeudy or Ridley, or Ruggs, all NFL picks, emotions and expectations seem to be set accordingly.

As oppose to UM where you have option 1. he is the best player, he plays as a TF, not quite ready, has a decent season, has a good soph and junior season, then dips because he has 3 years of NFL film or option 2. he is not playing, gets mad he is behind JAGS and transfers.

Advertisement
Back